samandjack.net

Story Notes: Songbook Series 21: AUTHOR: Jez- jez80@ozemail.com.au

SPOILERS: A Hundred Days, Brief Candle

ARCHIVE: Sam and Jack and Heliopolis please.

AUTHORS NOTES: A huge thanks to my two beta gal's, Kes and Jenn, and to Sue for her medical expertise!

FEEDBACK: Very much appreciated and cherished.


Sam sat in the waiting room of her OB/GYN’s office, nervously playing with one of Jack’s hands. He grasped her hand, effectively stilling her fingers, and gave them a squeeze. “Relax, angel.”

“Easy for you to say, you’re not about to have a huge needle shoved in your stomach,” she replied with a grimace.

“It’s not so bad,” the lady sitting opposite them said, having overheard them. She blushed slightly. “Sorry, I didn’t mean to eavesdrop, but I had an amniocentesis done a few months ago. It’s not so bad, and you feel so much better once you get the results back. It definitely took a load off my mind.”

Jack smiled his thanks to the lady and turned back to his wife. “See? Piece of cake.”

Sam didn’t look convinced, especially when the nurse chose that moment to call out her name. She rose to her feet, still clutching Jack’s hand, and followed the nurse into the exam room.

“I’m sure you remember the drill, Mrs. O’Neill. Change into the gown and hop up onto the table. Doctor Dalley will be with you shortly.”

Sam nodded and did as she was told, while Jack wandered around the office, looking at the posters on the wall. “Hey look!” he said, pointing to a fetus development chart. “That’s what our kid looks like!”

The door opened then, and a tall woman with a mass of red hair walked into the room. “Hi, Sam,” she greeted. “How have you been?”

“Better,” Sam replied happily. “No morning sickness yesterday or today!”

The doctor laughed. “That sounds nice. How ‘bout the dizzy spells? They’ve settled down too?”

“I haven’t had to catch her lately,” Jack piped up, making his presence known.

Sam laughed. “Chris, this is my husband, Jack. Jack, this is Doctor Christine Dalley.”

“Nice to meet you,” Jack greeted.

“Same. We missed you at Sam’s last exam.”

Jack nodded. “Yeah, I was... uh...”

“Off saving the world?” Chris questioned with a grin.

Jack’s jaw dropped, making both women giggle. “Chris is the Base OB/GYN, Jack,” Sam explained. “She has clearance. She has to so she can deal with my unusual circumstances.”

“I guess that makes sense,” Jack agreed. He turned to Chris. “Any chance of another ultrasound today? Since I missed the last one?”

Chris nodded. “We do an ultrasound before the amnio, so we can see where the baby is and use it to help guide the needle.”

“Cool!”

Sam raised an eyebrow. “Cool? She’s going to stick me with a needle. You could be a little more sympathetic.”

Chris laughed. “You’re not worried about this procedure, are you, Sam? I mean, after having Janet stick you with needles every chance she gets, you should be used to them.”

Sam shook her head. “Stick me in the arm or the butt and I won’t care. Sticking it in my stomach, right near my baby, is a little different.”

Chris recognized her fear, reaching out and giving her hand a squeeze. “I’m not going to hurt your baby, Sam. Remember at our last visit, we agreed that you were going to have a nice, boring pregnancy? You’re not going to do anything to jeopardize that, and neither am I.”

Sam took a deep breath and nodded. “Okay, let’s do it.”

Chris smiled. “First we’re going to let Daddy say hello to baby, okay?”

Sam laid back on the bed and Chris covered her lower half with a sheet. Sam then raised the gown so her stomach was showing. She looked over at Jack, who was grinning the same grin he gave every time he saw her bare belly. She’d only just started showing, so it wasn’t noticeable under her clothes, but Jack loved looking at the slight bump that indicated their
child was growing inside her.

“Okay, here comes the cold stuff,” Chris warned, seconds before she applied the cold gel. Then she turned the ultrasound on and started looking for the baby. Jack grinned when he heard the fast beat of their baby’s heart. He grasped Sam’s hand and watched the screen.

“There we are,” Chris said, finding the baby. “Say hello to Daddy, little one.”

Jack’s eyes were fixed to the screen where he could see his child. “Is that the baby’s heart beating?” Jack asked, pointing to the rapid pulsing on the screen.

Chris nodded. “Sure is. See, there’s the head, and if you look closely you can see an eye just there. It’s a bit hard to see clearly at this angle, but your baby’s probably started blinking now.” She saw Jack’s grin, smiling herself. It was one of the best parts of her job, introducing the parents to their babies for the first time. “And there’s an arm,” she continued.

“That must be a leg... right?” Jack asked, squinting slightly.

“That’s right.” She moved the ultrasound around a bit more, mapping Sam’s uterus and ensuring there were no ‘surprises’ since the last ultrasound. It wouldn’t have been the first time a second baby had popped up to say hello.

Confident that she couldn’t see a second fetus, Chris prepared for the next part of the visit, the amniocentesis. Jack’s eyes widened when he saw the size of the needle. The grin froze on his face and he turned to look at Sam, who was watching the needle warily.

“Okay, Sam, it’s important that you stay as relaxed as possible,” Chris advised.

The procedure was over quickly, Chris collected a sample of amniotic fluid and all Sam felt was the prick of the needle and a little discomfort while Chris was collecting the sample.

“All done,” Chris told her, removing her gloves. “It’s quite normal to experience cramping after this procedure, but it should be no worse than period pain, okay?”

“Okay,” Sam replied, pulling her gown back over her stomach.

“Great. Why don’t you get dressed and come into my office?” Seeing Sam nod, Chris smiled and left the room so Sam could get changed.

*****

Chris was just going through what to expect in the next month when Jack’s pager went off. “Sorry,” he muttered, looking at the offending item. “It’s the Base.”

“You go, Jack. I can find my own way back.”

“No need,” Chris said, rising to her feet. “If you guys don’t have any questions, then that’s about it for this visit. Make an appointment with my secretary for your next visit before you leave.” She looked at Sam. “Don’t forget to take it easy. No exercise or lifting for twenty four hours.”

Sam nodded. “I’ll be good.”

“Good. Now if you feel anything other than mild cramping, or you have any kind of bleeding, you get back here immediately, okay?”

“Yes,” Sam promised.

Pleased with the answer, Chris showed them out. Sam quickly made another appointment before Jack led her out of the hospital to the car and they headed back to the base.

*****

Jack looked down at his civvies, self conscious about not being in uniform. He’d thought about changing first, but he knew that Hammond wouldn’t have paged him unless the matter was urgent and Jack wanted to know the problem. He knocked on the open door, smiling as the General looked up at him.

“Come in, Colonel,” Hammond invited, indicating he sit. “I apologize for calling you while you were at Major Carter’s doctor’s appointment. I know you were looking forward to it.”

“That’s okay, sir. We were just finishing up anyway.”

“I’m glad you didn’t miss it this time,” Hammond replied. From experience, he knew how hard it was to be an expecting father and a soldier at the same time. He’d missed so much with both of his children and he hoped Jack wouldn’t miss as much.

Gathering his thoughts, the General started on the reason Jack had been called in. “How’s Cowley fitting in with the team? Do you feel you’re working well together?”

“Yes, sir, we’re all getting on fine. It’s a little different after having Major Carter with us for so long, but there are certainly no problems.” He looked at his superior officer. “Has something happened, sir?”

“SG-5 gated to P3X502 yesterday,” Hammond began. “The MALP and UAV data indicated a large deposit of trinium a few miles from the ‘gate. Their mission was to secure a mining treaty with the indigenous population.”

“But that didn’t go to plan,” Jack deduced.

“Two members of SG-5 have been captured by the locals after some kind of misunderstanding. They are refusing to release the men but seem to be willing to negotiate with another team.”

Jack raised an eyebrow. “You want us to negotiate?”

“You’re team is the only one I have on-world that is capable of both negotiation and rescue. If possible, I’d like you to negotiate the release of the two men and present the possibility of a treaty. I don’t need to tell you how useful that amount of trinium would be to us.” He gave Jack a concerned look. “Colonel, I won’t send you if you don’t feel you’re ready.”

“Sir, we’re fine. Having worked with Cowley before, we can read each other pretty well already, and both Daniel and Teal’c trust him. We can handle it, sir.”

Hammond nodded, pleased with the answer. “You’ll be able to focus? I mean, with your wife at home and pregnant?”

Jack nodded. “General, the reason I do this job is so my family, and all those other families out there, can live safely on this planet. Sam and I have talked and we both agree that I need to be out there.”

“Very well, Colonel. Have your team ready to embark in thirty minutes.”

*****

Even though she wasn’t going out with them, Sam waited with her team in the ‘Gate room. They watched while the wormhole was established and Hammond contacted SG-5. Jack turned to Sam, smiling as he tucked a strand of hair behind her ear. “Take it easy while I’m gone. I don’t want to hear that you’ve been overdoing it, okay?”

Sam shook her head in exasperation. “Jack, you’re doing the ‘overprotective father-to-be’ thing again. Don’t worry about us.”

“You know that’s not possible,” he replied, giving her an affectionate kiss.

Sam smiled as she pulled away. “Please be careful. I want you back in one piece for our anniversary.”

He shook his head with a smile. “You’re doing the ‘overprotective wife left at home’ thing again. Don’t worry about me.”

Sam smiled in return. “You know that’s not possible,” she replied, mimicking his answer.

Hammond’s voice came over the speakers, telling SG-1 they had a go. “I love you,” Jack told her, giving her a final kiss. “Both of you.”

“We love you too,” Sam replied. She stood and watched as her husband and friends walked through the Stargate. It wasn’t the first time that the team had been off-world since she found out she was pregnant, but it was the first time they were heading into a potentially hostile situation. ‘Bring him back to us safe and sound,’ she prayed before finally turning and leaving the room.

*****

Sam was engrossed in her work when Janet walked into her lab an hour later. “Hey,” she greeted, looking over her friend’s shoulder. “What’s that you’re working on?”

Sam laughed. “You tell me and we’ll both know. SG-11 found it on P1X823. It seems to be Goa’uld tech, but that’s as far as I’ve got.”

“You feel like a break?” Janet asked.

“Oh, yeah. Let’s go to the commissary. Sergeant Mathews promised he’d make me hamburgers on demand, and I’m *starving*!”

Janet laughed, pulling her friend to her feet and leading her to the commissary.

Mathews made Sam a hamburger, as promised, and the two women sat down to have lunch and talk. “How did your appointment with Chris go?” Janet asked, watching her friend devour the hamburger with relish.

Sam nodded, swallowing her mouthful. “Good. The amnio wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be. It’ll be a relief to get those results back.”

Janet gave her a reassuring smile, knowing that Sam was worried about her baby having a genetic problem due to Jolinar. “Jack made it this time?” she asked.

“Yeah, just. The base paged him just as we were finishing up. Least he got to see the ultrasound this time.” She smiled. “You should have seen his face, Janet. He had a grin from ear to ear.”

“Kind of like the one you have now?” Janet countered, smiling.

Sam ducked her head, blushing. “I can’t help it, I’m happy.”

Reaching out, Janet gave her fingers a squeeze. “You’re allowed to be happy, Sam. Hell, the both of you deserve to be happy after all the crap you’ve been through.”

“I just hope it stays like this,” Sam admitted.

Janet looked closely at her friend. “Chris hasn’t found a problem, has she?”

Sam shook her head. “No, nothing like that. I just... It always seems when I’m finally happy, something happens to try and take it away.”

“Has this got something to do with Jack being off-world?”

Sam chuckled. “You know me too well, Janet.”

“He’s been off-world quite a few times in the last eight weeks, why is this one different.”

“They were given simple second contact missions before. Hammond didn’t give them any planets where problems were perceived. This time they’re walking into a possibly hostile situation and I know it. I guess I just feel like I should be there to watch his back.”

“Brett is watching his back, and I *know* you trust him to do a good job.”

“I do, it’s just...” She broke off, sighing. “I’m pregnant. I’m allowed to be irrational sometimes, aren’t I?”

Janet laughed. “Of course you are.”

Clearing her head, Sam decided to move onto another subject. “So, how are things going since Daniel moved in?”

Janet smiled. “An experience. It’s weird getting used to having a man around the house again. I know we were basically living together before, but it’s still different. Does that make sense?”

Sam nodded. “I know what you mean. I remember when I first moved in with Jack, it was difficult to get used to each others little habits. Not to mention it’s hard not having your own space. If we had a fight, we couldn’t go to our separate homes and cool off.”

“Well we haven’t done the fight thing yet, but I can understand the habits part. Not to mention my... I mean *our* house looks like a museum!” She chuckled. “Plus there’s the teenage daughter aspect. Daniel’s still nervous about us doing anything when she’s around. It’s sad when you want to send your daughter out of the house just so you can make love to your partner.”

Sam nodded. “I know how you feel. Not about the teenage daughter bit, but about the frustrated bit.”

“Really? The way Jack looks at you, especially since you’ve been pregnant, I kind of figured you guys were giving rabbits a run for their money!”

Sam almost choked on her juice. “Ah, no.” She looked down at her plate, sighing. “Jack and I haven’t made love since I found out I was pregnant.”

“At all?!” Janet asked, shocked.

Sam shrugged. “At first it was me. I felt a little weird, which I’m told is normal. But now, every time I try to initiate anything, Jack just doesn’t seem interested.” She sighed. “I think we’re both so worried about doing something wrong and losing this baby, but Chris told me it was safe for me to have sex, and I know she wouldn’t say that if there was a risk.”

“Maybe you’re just gonna have to get tough with him,” Janet suggested, an evil glint in her eye.

“What are you suggesting? I chain him to the bed or something?”

They both looked at each other and burst out laughing.

“Thank you,” Sam gasped a few minutes later, trying to catch her breath. “I really needed that.”

“Anytime,” Janet replied, still giggling. She finished her drink and got to her feet. “Come on, Madam Lash, I’ll walk you to your lab.”

*****

As the team was led through the town, Jack was shocked at the similarities to another planet he’d spent quite a bit of time on. It was strikingly similar to Adorra, although the hierarchical structure was slightly different. Where Adorra had had a leader, Theodora, as the town was called, had a ruler who was like the Lord of the land.

Shaking his head, Jack tried hard to forget the place that had brought both him and the people he cared about so much pain. Nothing good had come out of his stay there. Not only had he hurt and abandoned a woman who had done nothing but love and care for him, but he had hurt the woman that he loved and had sworn, even if it was only to himself at that stage, to protect with his life.

Stopping outside a hut, Jack was relieved that their ‘escort’, a heavily armed soldier, hadn’t taken them to the prison to spend the night. He was surprised with the way the mission had gone so far. The native’s seemed to be quite friendly as a whole. They were wary, but that was understandable considering they had met the Goa’uld a few years ago. They refused to release the two men of SG-5, but had allowed Jack to speak to them. Both men were unharmed and were being looked after in the village prison.

It had taken a while for Jack to get the truth out of anyone. Both the soldiers and the natives seemed embarrassed about the crime. Finally Jack learned that the two men had got a little drunk on the local hooch and seduced two of the local women. Daniel had learned that not only was pre-marital sex against their culture, but was it considered a form of rape, even if the women were consenting.

Jack sighed as he sat down on one of the beds in their room. “At least they didn’t throw us in a cell with the rest of SG-5,” he said, looking around at the others. “What do you think, Daniel?” he asked. “Is there any chance we can get our men out diplomatically?”

“I think there is,” Daniel replied. “The Lord, Helorus, seems quite reasonable. I think they’re just afraid, Jack. If I can have some time to talk to him, I’m sure I can bring him around.”

Jack nodded. “Fine, you try and bring him around, but I want you to tread carefully. So far these guys haven’t been hostile, but who knows if and when they’ll turn.”

Daniel nodded. “What are you gonna do while I’m negotiating?”

Jack looked down at his hands. “Plan for the worst.”

Daniel stared at his friend for a few minutes. “Tell me you’re not planning on breaking them out of there, Jack?”

“Not if I can help it, Daniel, but we need a plan B.” He looked at the others. “Teal’c, I want you to stay with Daniel tomorrow, just in case. The rest of us are going to learn the ins and outs of this place until we can see them in our sleep. Got it?”

“Yes, sir!” they chorused in reply.

Jack nodded, lying back on the bed. “All this because two guys couldn’t keep it in their pants,” he grumbled.

“With all due respect, Colonel,” the young lieutenant spoke up. “We’re single guys. The only women we get to see are aliens. It’s easy for you guys with wives, you can get some any time you want.”

“What makes you think that I’m getting more than you, just because I’m married? My wife’s pregnant so I’m probably getting less, but do you see me sleeping with the first person that offers? Besides possible cultural problems, do you guys even stop to think about health problems? Believe me, there are some pretty bad sexually transmitted diseases out there!”

Jack shuddered as he remembered his accelerated aging on Argos. Even though he didn’t knowingly sleep with Kynthia, he still could have done more to try and prevent it. He could still remember his team’s teary goodbye on the video. He’d nearly torn their lives apart because of one stupid mistake.

“I didn’t realize that Major Carter’s pregnancy had been declared high risk,” Bates said.

“It hasn’t. What made you think that?” Jack asked.

“Well, you’re not... you know. I figured that you weren’t allowed.”

Jack sighed, not sure why he was even talking about this. “We’re allowed, we’re just... not.”

“She doesn’t want to? Or are you the one putting the brakes on?”

“Why do you want to discuss my sex life?” Jack asked, a little harshly.

“I’m not tryin’ to pry, sir, but I know what it’s like. When my wife was pregnant with our first, I freaked at the thought of sex. I was so scared I’d do something to hurt Julie or the baby.”

“So, how’d you get over it?” He tried to sound nonchalant, but he really wanted to know. He’d never felt like this when Sara had been pregnant, but then the circumstances were totally different. He knew Sam was getting frustrated, and so was he. It was just the thought of hurting their baby was terrifying.

“I read a book called ‘A Father’s Guide to Pregnancy’. Explained all that sort of stuff. You know, different positions so you weren’t layin’ on the baby and stuff. I swear that book saved my marriage.”

Jack nodded, grateful for the input. “Thanks, Bates.”

“Anytime, sir. Us father’s have to stick together.”

Jack grinned at that. He could imagine his old drill sergeant throwing his hands up in disgust at the touchy feely conversation they’d just had. He had to admit though, he felt better already. He made a note to go and buy the book when he got home. “We better get some sleep.”

*****

Sam wandered around the house, not really sure what to do with herself. She’d left work early, wanting to relax like her doctor had advised. The problem was, without work to think about, her mind was conjuring up horrible possibilities about SG-1’s latest mission. Sometimes she really hated having a vivid imagination, and sometimes she hated knowing exactly what could be happening to them while she was stuck at home.

Sighing, Sam straightened the pictures on the mantle for the fourth time. She’d eaten dinner, lit the fire, even done the ironing in an attempt to take her mind off the thought that she could soon be receiving a phone call. “God, you’re losing it,” she berated herself, deciding maybe a movie would help her relax.

She was just inserting the video tape in the VCR when the phone rang. Sam’s heart stopped. She just stood there, staring at the noisy contraption. With a shaking hand, she finally reached out and picked up the receiver. “Uh... hello?” she answered, her voice thick.

“Hey, Sam. It’s Joc. Are you okay? You sound a little off. You’re not getting a cold or something?” Jocelyn paused when she heard what sounded suspiciously like a sob. “Sam?! God, what’s wrong?!” she asked, alarmed.

“I... I’ll call you later,” Sam managed to get out before hanging up.

The phone rang again, but Sam ignored it, sinking to the floor and crying. She had been so sure that it was going to be The phone call. The one that was telling her that her husband was injured... or worse. She had no idea how long she sat there, curled in a ball as she cried. She’d just started to calm down when the doorbell rang. She just sat there, not knowing what to think. It was certainly too late for anyone to call around unannounced. What if something had happened to Jack? Would Hammond send someone to get her?

“Sam!” she heard, as the person, who her brain finally recognized as Jocelyn, banged on the door.

Getting shakily to her feet, Sam wiped her eyes and went to the door. “Joc? What are you doing here?” she asked when she opened the door to her friend.

“What am I doing here?! My best friend hangs up on me, crying her eyes out, and you’re asking me what I’m doing here?!” She looked at Sam like she’d grown another head.

“I’m sorry for worrying you. You didn’t have to come over here.”

Jocelyn took in her friend’s blood shot eyes and shaking hands. “I disagree. God, Sam, what happened? Is it the baby?” Sam shook her head. “Then what?”

Closing the door behind her friend, Sam laughed slightly. “Would you believe nothing?” She sighed, sitting down on the sofa. “I can’t believe I lost it like that.”

“Tell me what happened,” Jocelyn pleaded, sitting down next to her friend.

“I was just sitting here, thinking about Jack. You know, wondering if he was okay. Then I got thinking that he could be injured or... or dead, and I wouldn’t be there with him. I mean, he’s half way across the galaxy! And then the phone rang and I thought it was someone telling me he was dead and...”

“Sam, calm down!” Jocelyn told her, shaking her slightly.

“Oh, shit, Jocelyn. What in the hell is happening to me?” she whispered.

Jocelyn chuckled. “Welcome to the world of hormones.”

Sam stood, shaking her head. “I feel so out of control.”

“I know,” Jocelyn replied, standing as well. “Believe me, I know.” She smiled. “Come on, I think you should go and have a nice warm bath. I’m going to make you a cup of tea and then we can talk some more when you’re more relaxed.”

*****

Having had a warm bath and a cup of tea, Sam was feeling human again, and the two women sat in the living room and talked about Sam’s pregnancy and Laura. Jocelyn was reluctant to leave her friend an hour later, but her baby was due for her feed soon and wouldn’t be impressed if her mother wasn’t there. “How ‘bout I give Lucy a call? I’m sure she’d love to stay with you.”

Sam shook her head. “Don’t be silly. I’m fine.”

“If you’re sure...” Jocelyn put her coat on.

“I’m sure,” Sam replied, following her friend to the front door. “We don’t need to tell Jack about this, okay?”

“Sam, I don’t think that’s a good idea,” Jocelyn protested.

“If he finds out about this, he’ll do something stupid, like quit. We need him out there, Joc. We need him to keep this place safe for us and our babies. You said it yourself, I’m hormonal and I overreacted. I’m okay now.”

Jocelyn nodded reluctantly. “I’ll agree on one condition. If this happens again, we tell him immediately. Sam you’re pregnant, you can’t go getting yourself worked up like that. Promise me, you’ll tell him if it happens again?”

Sam nodded. “I promise.”

Happy with the reply, Jocelyn headed out the door.

*****

General Hammond was tired. He never slept while there was a team in trouble and this time was no exception. He’d already seen Sam that morning, looking as tired as he felt. It was obvious she hadn’t slept, and Hammond wondered how she was coping with SG-1 being on it’s first potentially dangerous mission.

Walking up the stairs to the control room, the General looked at his watch. SG-1 were to make contact with them in a few minutes, hopefully to give them some good news. Waiting, Hammond’s thoughts drifted back twelve months to that day. One of the largest events in the history of the SGC had occurred. Not an alien invasion or monumental treaty signing, but the wedding of two of the most popular people on the base. It had been a magnificent day, and he had been as proud of the two of them as he would have been his own children.

The Stargate interrupted his reminiscing as the ring started to move. “Incoming traveler!” Sergeant Davis told him and the SF’s in the ‘Gate room. They both watched the screen, waiting for the IDC to be confirmed. “It’s SG-1. sir,” Davis said, his hand already reaching for the iris control button.

“Open the iris, Sergeant, and standby to receive audio and visual,” Hammond ordered, getting ready to talk to Jack. “You better page Major Carter as well.”

Just then static was heard before Jack’s voice came through the speakers. “Sierra Gulf Charlie, this is Sierra Gulf one, do you copy?”

“We read you, Colonel. You coming back to us soon?” Hammond asked, looking at the video screen.

“Just as soon as we can get the rest of SG-5 out, sir. We’re working on it. Daniel thinks he can reason with the Lord guy, while the rest of us are planning the alternate release, just in case.” Jack looked at his watch. “Sir, I know it costs a lot to keep this thing open but I’d really like to talk to my wife.”

“She’s on her way, son,” Hammond replied, smiling even though Jack couldn’t see him.

At that moment Sam ran up the stairs. “Jack!”

“Hey, angel. Happy anniversary!”

She smiled. “Happy anniversary! Trust you to get out of having to take me out to dinner.”

“You know I’d be there if I could,” he assured her.

Sam smiled at the screen. “You look tired, Jack.”

He nodded. “And you sound tired. Everything okay?”

“I’m fine, baby’s fine. Everyone’s fussing over me in your absence.”

“That’s what I like to hear. Look angel, I better get going. We’ll celebrate as soon as I get back, okay?”

“Okay, Jack. I love you.”

“I love you too. General? Will you make sure she gets some rest?”

Hammond nodded. “Don’t worry, son, we’ll take good care of them both. Just hurry up and get everyone home safely.”

“Yes, sir. SG-1 out.” The ‘Gate disengaged.

Sam stood staring at the now blank screen. Hammond turned to look at her, concerned. “Major?”

She snapped out of her reverie. “Sorry, sir. I, uh, didn’t sleep very well last night. I guess I’m a little tired.”

He gave her a fatherly smile. “Sam, you’re pregnant. It’s not the time to be pushing yourself. Just because Colonel O’Neill isn’t here to make sure you don’t work too hard, doesn’t mean the rest of us aren’t going to do it in his place. I want you to go home and not step foot in this facility for forty-eight hours.”

“But...” Sam went to protest.

“That’s an order, Major. Take some time off. I’ll call you if anything comes up.”

She sighed. “Yes, sir.” Turning on her heal, she walked out of the control room.

Hammond looked after her for a moment before heading to his office. Taking a folder out of his filing cabinet, he looked for a number and then reached for the phone. “Hi, Mrs. O’Neill? This is George Hammond... No, no, they’re both fine. I was actually calling to ask you a favor. You see, Jack’s been called away, and I’m a little worried about Sam being at home by herself...”

*****

Sam was lying on the sofa, reading, when the doorbell rang. She sighed as she got up and walked over to open it. “Susan? What are you doing here?” she asked, seeing Jack’s mother standing on the door step.

“George Hammond called me and told me that Jack was away. He suggested I came and stayed with you for a few days.”

“How did you get here so quickly?” Sam asked, ushering her mother-in-law into the house.

“George had a plane waiting for me. He cares a lot about you.”

Sam smiled. “He’s probably under orders from Dad.” She laughed. “And Jack.”

Sam showed Susan to the guest room and left her to unpack while she went back down to the living room. Susan returned ten minutes later, checking her watch as she walked down the stairs. “Have you eaten dinner yet, Sam?” she asked.

Sam shook her head, getting to her feet. “I’m not hungry, but if you want me to make you...”

“Don’t be silly,” Susan interrupted. “You just relax. I’ll make something.”

Sam shrugged, sitting back down on the sofa and picking up her book. So engrossed in the novel, she completely forgot about her mother-in-law until the older woman walked back out an hour later. “Dinner’s ready, Sam. Come and eat before it gets cold.”

Sam looked up, surprised. “Susan, you didn’t have to cook me anything. I’m really not hungry...”

Susan put her hands on her hips, giving her best stern mother look. “Samantha O’Neill, you will eat something right now! Even if you’re not hungry, you have to eat for the baby.”

Sam sighed, getting to her feet. “You’re right. I’m sorry.”

Susan led her daughter-in-law to the table. “Sit down, Sam,” Susan said gently, sitting down next to her. She reached out and grasped her hand. “Listen to me. I know you’re worried about Jack, but there’s nothing you can do to help him get home. All you can do for him, is look after yourself and look after his baby.”

Sam nodded. “I know. I’m just not used to sitting here waiting for him to come back. I’m normally out there with him. It’s hard to sit here, not knowing what’s going on.” She chuckled. “I have a new found respect for military wives. I mean, I have some idea about what’s going on, and I have clearance to get the answers, and still I’m finding it hard. I can’t imagine what it’s like for those who are sitting at home, wondering where their loved ones are, what they’re doing... It must be excruciating.”

“It is,” Susan replied. “I’ve been watching my son go off and defend our country for more years than I can remember. I’ve sat and waited for the phone call myself, then I sat and waited with Sara. It seems I’ve spent half my life waiting for him to come home safely. But I’ll sit here and go through it again with you, Sam. Because he’s my son, and I love him.” She gave Sam’s hand a squeeze. “And you’re my daughter-in-law, and I’ve grown to love you too.”

Sam’s lip quivered slightly. “Thank you,” she whispered. “You don’t know what that means to me.”

“Yes, I do. I lost my mom when I was twenty, and I would have given anything to have had a relationship with Charles’ mother, but we never got on. I don’t want that to happen to us, Sam. I could never replace your mom, but I want you to know that I am here for you.”

Sam sniffed. “Sorry,” she said, wiping her eyes. “My hormones have been everywhere over the last few days.”

Susan chuckled. “That’s okay. Pregnant women are allowed their mood swings. Now eat your dinner before it gets cold.”

*****

If my heart had wings
I would fly to you
And lie beside you as you dream
If my heart had wings

We both committed
We both agreed
You do what you have to
To get what you need
Feeling you near me
With so many miles in between

*****

Jack sat up against the wall in the room they were given the night before. Daniel had returned to Helorus’ chambers as soon as Jack had returned from reporting in to Hammond. Since then he, along with the rest of the men, had been studying the area and had come up with a reasonable plan for getting their men out. It was risky, with the amount of soldiers Helorus had on his side, but it was the only way to save their men if Daniel couldn’t negotiate.

His thoughts turned to home. One year ago today, Sam had made him the happiest man in the universe by becoming his wife. He conjured up the image of her as she walked down the isle. She’d looked amazing and even the vision managed to take his breath away. A lot had happened over the past twelve months. Sam had been taken by Bastet, he had been captured by Jonas Hanson, but then there was the miracle that they had created a child together, when there had been a large possibility that it couldn’t happen. He smiled slightly as he remembered the image he’d seen of their baby. New life was an amazing thing.

Jack wondered what Sam was doing. He hoped she was resting, like the doctor had told her to. He knew that she would never do anything to jeopardize their baby, but sometimes she just got so caught up in her work, everything else was forgotten. He checked his watch and realized that it would be getting late back on Earth. Sam was probably in bed by now. He yearned to be there with her, lying beside her and holding her as she dreamed of their baby. He hated being away from her, hated putting himself at risk, but he knew why he had to. He had to make it safe for his child to live on Earth without the fear of the Goa’uld coming. He had to protect his family the only way he knew how.

Daniel and Teal’c walked into the room then, breaking Jack from his thoughts. All of the men looked up, hoping against hope that they wouldn’t have to use force to get their men out. “Helorus wants to talk to you,” Daniel informed Jack.

“Is this a good thing or a bad thing?” Jack returned, getting to his feet.

“I think it’s a good thing. Just... try and be diplomatic, Jack.”

“Always,” Jack quipped, ignoring the disbelieving looks that were sent his way.

It only took him a few minutes to reach the palace and Jack was escorted to the right room. He walked into the large room where Helorus was waiting for him. “Daniel said you wanted to see me?” he asked as he neared the large man.

“I did. Your Doctor Jackson has been telling me how good your people are. However, he is only one man, nor is he the leader of your party. Perhaps you can convince me he speaks the truth?”

Jack shrugged. “I’ll do my best.”

“Tell me, Colonel. Are you married?”

Jack nodded, a little wary of the line of questioning. “Yes, I am.”

“Do you have any children?”

“My wife’s expecting our first,” Jack replied. He didn’t think he should get into the details of his son and ex-wife. It wasn’t that he was ashamed, but very few cultures condoned divorce.

“Congratulations. I had a wife and a child. The last ‘visitors’ we had through the Doorway took my wife and killed my son, along with many others. Do you swear on your unborn child, that this is not your people’s intention?”

“I do,” Jack said without missing a beat. He looked straight at Helorus, so he could see he was telling the truth.

Helorus looked straight back at him for a few moments before turning to his soldiers. “Release the Colonel’s men immediately. I grant them all a full pardon.” He turned back to Jack. “A man who is willing to give his word on his child, is a man that I wish to be friends with.”

The two wayward soldiers were brought into the room a few minutes later, looking very relieved when they heard the good news. They apologized, after a little prompting from Jack, and then Helorus declared the matter forgotten.

After a feast in honor of their new friendship, SG-1 and the complete SG-5 were allowed to leave, with a promise that another team would return to negotiate a treaty.

By the time they returned through the Stargate it was early in the morning Earth side. Hammond greeted them with a relieved smile. “Welcome back. We’ll debrief after you’ve been to the infirmary. I especially want you two checked out,” he finished, glaring at the two officers that had started all of the trouble.

“Yes, sir,” Jack replied and led the way out of the ‘Gate room.

*****

It was after 0900 by the time Jack drove down the mountain. He really wanted to get back to Sam, but he decided to make a quick stop first and pick up the book Bates had recommended. Pulling into a parking spot opposite Babies R Us, Jack put some money in the meter and hurried
across the street.

He managed to find the book section after a few minutes, and soon located the book he was after. He flicked through it quickly, noticing there was a whole chapter on sex and pregnancy. Pleased with the find, Jack wandered towards the cashier, looking at all of the items available. He realized that they hadn’t bought anything for the baby yet and wondered if Sam would mind him purchasing something.

Then it caught his eye. It was hanging above one of the cots, the colors bright and cheerful. Jack reached out and touched one of the brightly colored birds, grinning.

“It’s a nice mobile, isn’t it?” an assistant said from beside him. “It comes in three different colors and you can get different animals as well. Is it for a boy or a girl?”

“We don’t know,” Jack replied, smiling at the young woman.

“Well these colors would suit either,” she pointed out.

Jack nodded his agreement. The birds were a rainbow of purples, yellows, reds and greens. No customary pink or blue in sight.

“It plays a tune as well,” she told him, reaching out and pulling the chord. The mobile started to move as the tune started. The music was soothing, perfect for putting a baby to sleep.

“I think I’ll get one,” Jack decided with a grin.

“Great,” she replied. “Is there anything else I can help you with?”

Jack shook his head. “No, just that and this book. My wife will kill me if I buy too much without her.”

Smiling, the assistant went and got one of the mobiles off the shelf and Jack paid for them, grabbing the bag and heading back to his car. He couldn’t help but grin as he placed the bag on the passenger seat, excited at having bought something for the baby. Shaking his head, and deciding he really was getting soft in his old age, Jack dug into the bag and pulled out the book. He skimmed through it and turned down the corner of a page that looked particularly interesting. He then put the book back in the bag and started the car for home.

Once there, he left the car in the drive and headed straight inside, eager to see Sam. He froze when he saw his mother walking out of the kitchen. “Mom? What are you doing here?” He looked around. “Where’s Sam? Is she okay?”

“She’s fine, just worried about you. General Hammond called me. He thought I might want to come and spend some time with my daughter-in-law.”

Jack smiled, relieved, and moved to hug his mother. “Thanks for coming, Mom. I appreciate it.”

Susan hugged her son. “It wasn’t a problem. I enjoyed it. I think Sam and I got a little closer.”

Stepping back, she looked down at what he was carrying, noticing he held a bag from Babies R Us. She grinned, “What have you bought?”

He looked down at the bag with a shy smile. “Well, I went to find this book, and... well, we haven’t bought anything for the baby yet...” He opened the bag and pulled out the mobile. “You pull a chord and it plays music. I remember Sara and I bought a similar one for Charlie and he loved it when he was a baby...” He trailed off, looking to the floor as he remembered his first child.

Susan felt for her son. It had to be hard trying to reconcile his feelings for the child he’d lost with the new one on the way. She pulled him back in her arms. “Loving Charlie’s memory doesn’t mean you are going to love this baby any less. Just as you can love this baby without loving Charlie any less. They are both your children, Jack, and you have enough love for them and any other babies that come along.” She stepped back, smiling. “Okay?”

He nodded, his throat tight. “Yeah, you’re right. I just don’t want to feel like I’m forgetting Charlie.”

“You won’t. He’s a part of you.” She smiled, wanting to cheer him up. “What was the book you wanted?”

Jack actually blushed as he pulled the book out. “One of the guys at work recommended it.”

“A Father’s Guide To Pregnancy,” Susan read, flicking though the book. “Are you feeling a bit rusty, Jack? I would have thought you’d know all...” She drifted off when she came to the chapter he had marked. “Oh,” was all she said, a little embarrassed. She smiled, handing the book back to her son, who was very red. She had to resist the urge to laugh at his embarrassment. “Sam’s still up in bed. Why don’t you go up to her? I’ll go and... do some shopping,” she finished, wanting to give them some time alone. “I’ll be back in a couple of hours.”

Jack nodded, embarrassment and relief warring for supremacy. “Thanks, Mom.”

He waited until his mother had left before climbing the stairs and heading for his and Sam’s bedroom. Pushing the door open, he smiled as he saw Sam lying in bed, reading. She looked up when she heard the door, a beautiful smile lighting her face when she saw her husband.

“Jack!” she cried.

“Hey, baby,” he greeted, walking over and sitting on the side of the bed. He caught Sam as she threw herself into his arms, holding him so close he found it hard to breathe.

“God, I was so worried about you,” she told him, tears in her eyes.

“I thought we agreed you weren’t going to do that?” he gently chastised, pulling away from her so he could look at her.

“I couldn’t help it,” she replied. “I was trying to rest like Chris said, and it just gave me too much time to come up with all these scenarios.”

He leaned forward and kissed her gently. “You worry too much. We were fine.”

“What happened?” she asked him, watching as he got to his feet and started shedding his clothes.

Jack shook his head. “Not now, Sam. I just want to cuddle up to my wife of a year and a day for a while.” He pulled back the covers and slipped in beside her.

Sam sighed as she curled up beside him. “Where’s your mom?”

“Gone shopping so we can celebrate our anniversary in peace,” he replied.

Sam nodded and turned to look at him. “Jack?”

“Yeah, baby?” he asked, closing his eyes.

“Will you make love to me?” She held her breath, unsure what his reaction would be.

He didn’t say anything for a moment. “Are you sure?”

“It’s safe, Jack. I just want you to show me that you still love me.”

“Oh, Sam, of course I still love you,” he told her. “I want nothing more than to make love to you, but I don’t want to hurt you and I don’t want to hurt our baby.”

“You won’t hurt us,” she assured him, leaning over him and stealing a kiss. “Show me how much you love me.”

Pushing his worries firmly aside, Jack pulled her body over his and set about doing just that.


COMING SOON- Songbook Series 22: Somebody Must Be Praying For Me