samandjack.net

Story Notes: This is the fruits of my insomnia. Bare this in mind when you read it :) Set just after Fair Game, so reference to that.


SG1 were just finishing up their debriefing with the General. It was a week since the Goul'd had been there to sign the treaty to protect earth.

"All right SG1" General Hammond began. "As of now you are on downtime for forty eight hours. Major Carter, I would like those samples analysed first thing Monday morning."

"Yes sir" Sam replied, relieved she wouldn't have to do them before she left. She hadn't had a break since before her promotion and she was exhausted.

"Have a good weekend. Dismissed" General Hammond said as he left the room.

Jack and Sam rose to attention as their superior walked out the door. When he'd gone Sam slumped back in the chair. "Thank god we're finally on downtime" she sighed.

"You're welcome Major" Jack replied with a grin.

"Huh?" Sam asked, confused.

"Well I told the General that if he didn't give us a break we probably wouldn't return from our next mission." He shrugged. "Guess he got the hint."

"Well than, thankyou Colonel" she said with a classic Sam smile. She rose out of the chair. "I'm out of here. Teal'c do you wanna grab that book you wanted before I go?"

Teal'c got up from his seat. "Yes thankyou Major Carter."

"No problems Teal'c." She turned to Jack and Daniel. "I'll see you two later."

"Bye Sam" Daniel replied.

"Yeah, have a good weekend Major" Jack said.

Daniel turned to Jack after Sam and Teal'c had left the room. "You really love calling her that, don't you?"

"Calling her what?" Jack asked, eyebrow raised.

"Major. You always call her Major now instead of Carter."

Jack gave a small smile. "Well she deserves it. She had to work a lot harder to get her promotion than I ever did. I mean she had to save the world on several occasions, all I did was go on a few black ops."

"You sound almost proud of her" Daniel observed, hiding the smile that was threatening to form.

Jack shrugged. "Yeah I guess I am. She's a soldier and a scientist and she manages to excel at both. Why, aren't you?"

"Yeah of course, but that's different. Sam's like my sister. She's your 2IC."

"She's also my friend."

Daniel nodded, silent for a few moments. Finally he decided to take the chance. "So why don't you call her Sam?"

"What?" Hack asked, looking up quickly.

"Why is it always Major or Carter? I've only ever heard you call her Sam on a few occasions and I've never heard her call you Jack."

"We're military Daniel. I'm her superior officer."

"Yeah but you said yourself that she's your friend. Besides you and Charlie Kowalsky were on a first name basis" Daniel pushed.

"Yeah but that's different" Jack said, getting weary of where Daniel's questions were heading.

"How so?"

Jack sighed. Should he tell Daniel the truth or make up a story? He was to tired to come up with a tangible excuse. "Well Charlie's a guy and Carter's... well a woman" he said quietly.

"So... Oh I see. You think that by calling her Sam, she stops being one of the guys and might become something else." 'Finally' he thought to himself.

"Daniel..." Jack started.

"No, it's all right Jack I get it. But let me give you some advice, life is too short. Especially in a job like this. Either of you could be gone tomorrow. Take it from someone who knows."

Jack was about to respond when Sam walked back into the room. "Hey guys. Janet, Teal'c and I are going out for a drink. Wanna join us?"

Daniel gave Jack a pointed look before replying. "Sounds good Sam. Count me in."

Sam turned to Jack. "How 'bout you Colonel?"

Jack took a deep breath. "Yeah sounds like fun. One condition though."

"What's that?" Sam asked, raising an eyebrow.

"You call me Jack when we're off duty. Colonel and Sir just sound so formal."

"Ah sure... Jack" Sam replied, giving him one of her trademark smiles.

"Well let's go then Sam." Jack guided her out the door.

They both missed the triumphant smile that crossed Daniel's face. Finally someone had taken the first step. If it took that long for them to make the next move he was going to kill them. He chuckled to himself and followed after his friends.



THE END