samandjack.net

Story Notes: Songbook Series 25: AUTHOR: Jez- jez80@ozemail.com.au

SPOILERS: Fair Game

ARCHIVE: Sam and Jack and Heliopolis please.

AUTHORS NOTES: A huge thanks to my two beta gal's, Kes and Jenn! Also a huge thanks to Sue for her medical input!

DEDICATION: To Ann, if it wasn't for you I don't think I'd ever have got this finished!

FEEDBACK: Very much appreciated and cherished.


Jack whistled as he walked up the path towards his house, carrying the pizza he’d picked up for dinner. As soon as he walked in the door, he could hear Adam's cries coming from the baby monitor that lay on the coffee table. Jack took the pizza into the kitchen, before walking up the stairs and into the nursery. As he entered the room, the cries had stopped and he watched as Sam placed the baby into the crib. It was then that Jack noticed the shake of Sam’s shoulders and realized she was crying.

“Hey,” he said quietly as he walked up to her.

Sam jumped. “Jack, I didn’t hear you come in,” she whispered as she ushered him out of the room.

“Well, it would have been a bit hard to hear anything with the noise our little man was making.” He frowned when he didn’t even get a twitch of her lips in reply. “What’s wrong, angel?” he asked, wiping the tears from her face.

“Nothing,” she sniffled.

“Uh huh. Now why don’t I believe you?” He put a finger under her chin and raised her head to meet his eyes. “Talk to me.”

“It’s nothing, Jack. Just these damn hormones.”

“If you’re sure...”

“I said I’m fine!” she hissed, storming down the stairs.

Jack just stood, staring after her and wondering how anyone could go from upset to angry that fast. He looked in on his son, giving Sam a few minutes to compose herself, before he made his way downstairs and into the kitchen.

Sam was unloading the dishwasher, tears rolling down her face. “I’m sorry,” she told him, when she noticed him.

“It’s okay,” he assured her.

“It’s not okay, Jack. You’ve been nothing but patient and I’ve been such a bitch!”

“Come here,” he implored, taking her in his arms. “Sam, it's only been two weeks since you had a baby. You’ve got to cut yourself some slack.”

"That's no excuse," she mumbled.

"It is to me." He gave her a squeeze. "Come on, dinner's ready."

She looked over to the kitchen table and saw the pizza box. "I could have cooked something, Jack. We can't live off take-out forever."

"How 'bout you make Adam's dinner then?" he suggested with a grin.

She managed a small smile in return. "I guess that can be arranged. Did you get extra cheese?" she asked, trying to pull herself together.

"Ya sure ya betcha," he replied, grabbing a couple of sodas from the fridge and sitting beside his wife.

*****

Sam felt as if she'd just gone to sleep when she heard Adam crying. Rolling over, she saw it was just after two, which meant it was time for a feed. She looked over as Jack sat up beside her.

“I’ll get him. You stay there,” he told her as he slipped out of bed.

Lying on her back, Sam listened on the baby monitor as Jack entered Adam’s room. “Hey, little man. Are you hungry? Well let's go and find Mommy, huh?”

Propping herself up on some pillows, Sam waited for Jack to bring her son in. He returned a few minutes later and gently placed Adam in her arms.

“Are you hungry, sweetheart?” Sam asked, opening the front of her night-gown and placing her son to her breast.

Jack watched as Adam started nursing. He heard Sam sigh lightly as she leaned back on the pillows. He sat down beside her, watching his son drink greedily. “Does that hurt?” he asked quietly. Breast feeding was new to him. Sara hadn’t wanted to nurse Charlie and he had been bottle fed from day one.

Sam turned her head to look at him. “No, it feels kinda nice once you get used to it.”

Jack nodded, absorbing the information as he watched the two most important people in his life. In truth he was a little jealous. This was something that Sam shared with their son that he could have no part in. He'd loved getting up in the middle of the night to feed Charlie. Loved sitting in the rocking chair with the house silent around him. He'd felt as if it was his time to bond with his son, with no one else around.

With Adam though, there was nothing he could do but sit and watch. As nice as that was, he couldn't help but feel a bit left out. That was why he got up and brought Adam to Sam for his feeds, it was why he calmed him when he cried in the middle of the night. It was his way of trying to have that time with his baby as well as take some of the pressure off his wife.

Thoughts of Sam had his eyes wandering back to her face. She looked exhausted; pale and drawn. He had to admit he was a little worried. Her emotions had been all over the place and, although he knew that a woman's hormones tended to go haywire following pregnancy, he was concerned. She just didn't seem as happy as he'd thought she'd be. After everything they had been through in having their baby, he thought she'd be ecstatic.

He knew that Adam hadn't exactly helped Sam ease into motherhood. The baby could be quite fussy and cranky and Jack wondered if it was because he sensed his mother's melancholy or if there was a problem with him. Again, he was at a loss. Charlie had been such a healthy, happy baby and they'd had next to no problems with him until he was a toddler.

"Do you think we should get in contact with the pediatrician? Maybe there's a reason he's often so hard to settle."

"I called this afternoon. The guy we decided on is away at a conference but his partner told me that I was probably just feeding him incorrectly and if I would like to make an appointment then he'd be happy to show me."

Jack winced slightly at her tone, knowing being told that would have probably been the cause of the tears he'd seen earlier. "They showed you how to nurse him at the hospital," Jack told her. "You're doing it how they said, right?"

She shrugged, noticing her baby had finished suckling and moving him to her shoulder so she could burp him. "Apparently not. I mean, I was only in there a week, maybe I'm too slow to pick it up that quick."

Jack chose to ignore her comment. "We'll make an appointment with the guy we liked, okay? It'll be easier if we can figure out why he's unhappy."

Sam just shrugged, handing Adam to him and curling up in bed. Jack sighed, carrying his son back to the nursery. Something had to give. He wasn't sure he could handle it if things kept going in the same direction.

After putting Adam down, Jack went back to bed but sleep wouldn't come. He wasn't sure how to handle things. Sam was a new mom and he knew she was feeling insecure. Having the doctor tell her it was her fault was a blow to her already fragile confidence and Jack just didn't think it was her fault. He'd been there when the nurses had shown her how to breast feed and he didn't see her doing anything different from what she'd been shown. Whatever the problem was, they had to find out and soon.

Jack was pulled from his thoughts when he heard Adam crying. He looked at the clock, seeing it was almost three thirty. He couldn't want feeding yet, surely. "I'll get him," Jack told Sam as she stirred. "You need to rest."

He got out of bed, grabbing the baby monitor so Sam could go back to sleep and heading into the nursery. "Daddy's here, Buddy," he soothed as he reached into the cot and picked up his son.

Adam continued to cry as Jack rocked him, talking in soothing tones. He tried all the tricks he remembered, finally finding one that worked. "You not feeling well, Buddy?" he asked as he rubbed his son's stomach. He walked over to the chest of drawers, grabbing the thermometer and checking Adam's temperature. "Well, you're not hot, but you have got an upset belly, huh?"

Adam started wailing again and Jack sighed. It was going to be a long night.

*****

First thing the next morning, Jack called and made an appointment to see Doctor Hill, the pediatrician. Sam just shrugged when he told her, telling him that he was the expert and wandering out of the room. He was getting frustrated by her attitude. It was almost as if she didn't want to be involved. He knew that wasn't true, Sam loved their baby, but something wasn't right and he was determined to find out. He just had to figure out the best way to approach her.

It was all that was on his mind as they sat watching the ball game later in the morning. Adam had finally gone to sleep after another bout of crying, something for which Jack was grateful. He knew now was the time to talk to his wife, but still had no idea what he was going to say.

As the game drew to a close, Jack looked beside him, seeing that Sam was sound asleep. He smiled, reaching over and moving a stray piece of hair behind her ear. She'd been home for just over a week now, but still seemed to sleep more than anything. It was a little disconcerting for Jack, who was used to seeing her survive on a few hours of rest, but then he knew he would never fully comprehend what her body had been through both with the pregnancy and delivery of their son. Add to that the four hourly feeds, he supposed she had every right to be exhausted.

The phone rang then, breaking him from his thoughts and waking Sam from her sleep. She stretched, watching as Jack answered it.

"Hello?"

"Colonel, this is General Hammond," the voice on the other end rumbled.

"Good afternoon, Sir. What can I do for you?"

"How's little Adam doing?" he asked, and Jack could tell he was stalling.

"He's doing well, Sir. Thank you for asking," Jack replied. "Is there something I can do for you?"

"Jack, I hate to do this to you, but I need you in here."

Jack sighed. "What's the problem?"

"The Asgard have contacted us and it seems that the Goa'uld have broken a few rules in the treaty. Thor seems to think it warrants immediate attention. You being Earth's representative…"

"Sir, couldn't we send someone else just this once? I really don't want to leave…"

"I understand, son, and I've already informed Thor of the situation. Unfortunately, sending someone else is not an option." He sighed. "Jack, you know I wouldn't be asking if it wasn't important."

He looked across at Sam, who was feigning disinterest, and sighed. "I understand, Sir. When do you need me?"

"ASAP, Colonel."

"Yes, Sir," he replied, before hanging up.

"What's happened?" Sam asked, turning to look at him.

"The Goa'uld have broken the Asgard treaty. Thor's called a meeting and as Earth's representative…"

"You have to be there," she finished for him.

"Yeah." He looked at her for a long moment. “Are you gonna be okay?” he asked, clearly concerned.

“Yeah, sure,” Sam replied, not very convincingly.

“I could ask them to postpone it for a few days and get Mom here for you. Or even ask Daniel to come and stay with you.”

“I’m not going to rearrange everyone’s lives every time you have to go away. I may as well start doing it on my own now.”

“Sam, please...”

“I’ll be fine. I can call someone if I need any help. Besides, you’re only going to be gone for a day or so. I’m sure I can cope for that long.”

Against his better judgment, Jack agreed.

*****

Jack looked at his watch, picking up the pace when he realized he only had a few minutes before he was due in the ‘Gate room. “Hey, Janet,” he greeted as he walked into the infirmary.

“Hi, Jack. I heard they were bringing you back for this one. You’d think Thor would understand you wanting to spend some time with Sam and Adam.”

Jack gave her a twisted grin. “Oh, I bet it was those damn Goa’uld. Probably did it just to spite me.”

Janet laughed. “Maybe you should take Sam and Adam with you. One dirty diaper should keep them away. Speaking of Sam, what did she think about them dragging you back in here?”

Jack sighed. “That’s what I wanted to talk to you about. I was wondering whether you could go and see her.”

“Why? What’s the problem?”

“I’m not sure. She just seems kinda depressed. She’s been crying a lot and the fact that Adam’s been so hard to settle hasn’t helped.”

“Jack, Sam’s hormones are still going crazy. Give her a bit of time to settle down.” She smiled at him. “I’ll go and see her after work, okay?”

“Thanks, Janet.” He turned to leave and then turned back. “Oh, can I get you to get the baby seat out of my car and take it with you? I forgot to take it out before I left.”

"Haven't you got one for her car yet?"

Jack grinned. "It's coming next week when we get her new car."

Janet shook her head. "I still can't believe Sam is getting rid of the Mustang."

"It was her choice. She wanted a family car. Besides, I couldn't see everything fitting in the Mustang." He looked to his watch. "I've gotta run. Thanks, Janet." He handed her the keys and hurried out of the room.

*****

Janet was headed for the elevator when she heard someone calling her. She turned around to see Daniel hurrying towards her. She smiled. Daniel still didn’t look very impressed about being left behind on the negotiations. “Hey.”

“Hi. Are you going home?”

“Yeah, why?”

He smiled. “I’ve decided to forget those translations I was going to do tonight. I thought maybe we could go out to dinner?”

“Sounds great. I’ve got to stop by and see Sam first. I promised Jack.”

“Can I come too?”

Janet nodded. “Let's go.” She smiled as they got into the elevator, seeing Daniel's face light up at the prospect of seeing his Godson. He really did dote on the baby already and Janet almost dreaded the thought of what he'd be like when the child got older.

*****

Sam felt like she was in her own personal hell. One she couldn't escape from. Adam had been crying for what felt like hours and she'd tried every trick she'd been told to calm him. She carried him, she rocked him, she sang to him. His diaper was clean, he'd been fed, but still he cried. Every cry frayed her already worn nerves and she felt like she was being ripped apart by her emotions.

“God, Adam, will you just stop?! Please?!” she begged. The little boy continued to cry. She almost didn’t hear the doorbell, so loud was her child’s wailing. She walked down the stairs and opened the door, breaking down completely when she saw Daniel and Janet.

Daniel automatically reached out and took the child off her, stepping aside so Janet could do her thing.

“Sam?” Janet asked.

“I can’t do this anymore, Janet. He won’t stop crying. I’ve tried everything and he just won’t stop!” A fresh bout of tears cascaded down her face as Janet pulled her into a hug. She looked over Sam’s shoulder at Daniel, who was rocking Adam in an attempt to settle him. “Daniel, why don’t you take him for a drive? That might settle him down.”

Sam shook her head. “You can’t. Jack forgot to take the baby seat out of his car.”

Janet patted her shoulder. “Give him some credit. He remembered when he got to the base. It’s in my car. So Daniel’s going to go and drive Adam around, while you go and have a nice warm bath, a cup of tea and relax a bit. Okay?”

Sam nodded and allowed Janet to lead her towards the bedroom, where she ran a bath while Janet went back out to talk to Daniel. “Are you going to be okay with him? I just think she needs a break so she can calm down a bit.”

“Yeah, I’ll just put some classical music on and drive him around. Do you think we should get Jack back?”

“I was wondering that myself. We’ll try this first and see what happens, okay?”

“Okay, Janet. Just look after her.” Daniel took the still crying baby out and Janet went to the kitchen and made Sam some tea.

An hour later, Daniel came back with a now quiet baby. "I think he needs changing," he said as he handed him to Janet.

"Good job," she replied, gently taking the little boy in her arms.

"How's Sam?" he asked, the concern clear in his voice.

"She's exhausted. I managed to get her calmed down and she was dozing off when I last checked in on her."

Daniel looked at his girlfriend, seeing something in her face. "You're really worried about her, aren't you?"

She sighed. "If this had just happened since Jack had gone, then I probably wouldn't have been so concerned. But Jack came to me before he left and he was worried about the way she was coping."

"What can we do?" he asked.

"Just be here for her. Try to take some of the pressure off her."

Daniel nodded. "I can do that."

Janet smiled at him, then turned to look at the slumbering baby. "And you can help by being as good as you're being right now," she told him. She smiled at the angelic face before turning to walk up the stairs. She walked into the nursery and, placing Adam on the change table, started to change his diaper.

"Eww," Daniel said, wrinkling his nose. "How could something so gross come out of something so cute?"

Janet chuckled at his reaction, before turning serious. "He must have had an upset stomach. That was why he was so distressed."

"What would cause that? I mean, he's only two weeks old, it's not like he's eating or anything."

"It could be a number of things. I'll have to talk to Sam about it, but this could be the reason he's been so hard to settle."

Daniel watched as his girlfriend changed the baby's diaper, having always loved seeing her maternal side. "It's hard to believe he's the same baby that was crying earlier. He's so peaceful now."

"He feels better now." She smiled, gently picking Adam up and placing him in his cot. "Sleep well, little one."

*****

It was a few hours later that Janet found herself bathing her Godson. She smiled as she moved the washcloth over him, marveling at just how perfect he was. It wasn't very often that she craved another child of her own, but at that moment, she wondered just what it would be like to have a baby with Daniel. 'Maybe I should have that talk with Cassie,' she thought, as she lifted Adam from the warm water and wrapped him up in a towel.

After drying and dressing him, Janet walked down the stairs, cradling Adam in her arms. “Here you go. He’s all nice and clean and ready for some dinner,” she said, as she walked up to Sam.

Sam shook her head. “No. I’ll just make him cry again.”

Janet tried to hand her Adam. “No you won’t, Sam. Come on.”

“I can’t, Janet!” She got up and fled back to her bedroom, leaving Janet holding the baby.

She turned to Daniel. “I think we need to get Jack back here.”

Daniel nodded and headed for the phone. After calling the base he took Adam so that Janet could go and talk to Sam.

*****

Never before have I seen you look so blue
Can't find a cure and nothing comforts you
The light at the end of the tunnel
Doesn't shine at the end of the day

*****

Jack was bored out of his brain. He had no idea why he had to be at these negotiations. So far, the Goa’uld had done nothing but insult each other and grovel to Thor.

Suddenly there was a beeping sound and one of Thor’s buddies walked into the room. “I apologize for the intrusion but there is an urgent message for O’Neill to return to Earth.”

Jack was on his feet immediately, his thoughts turning to his wife and son. They beamed him down and a moment later he stood at the top of the ramp in the ‘Gate room. Hammond was there to greet him.

“Sir? What’s happened?” he asked as he strode down the ramp. “Are Sam and Adam all right?”

“I’m not sure exactly what the problem is, Colonel. Dr. Jackson just asked that I get you home ASAP. I’ve got a car waiting for you topside.” The words had barely left his mouth before Jack had taken off.

The half an hour drive down the mountain seemed to take forever and Jack was nearly jumping out of his skin by the time the car pulled up at his house. He jumped out before it had even stopped, noting that Janet’s vehicle was in the driveway as he hurried up the path. “What’s going on?!” he asked as he raced in the door, seeing Daniel holding Adam.

“Jack, calm down,” Daniel told him.

Jack looked at him like he’d grown two heads. “I just got recalled from a mission and told I was needed at home ASAP and you’re telling me to calm down?!” He looked around the room. “Where’s Sam?”

“She’s in the bedroom with Janet. She was... well, Jack, she was really stressed when we got here. Adam wouldn’t stop crying and Sam was really upset.”

Jack took his son, who had started whimpering. “He’s hungry,” he stated.

Daniel sighed. “Yeah, Sam won’t feed him.”

“What?!”

“She thinks that if she tries to do anything with him, he’ll just cry more.”

“Oh, hell. I knew I shouldn’t have left her by herself.” Jack carried his son up the stairs and into the bedroom where Sam was lying on their bed, still crying. “Hey,” he said quietly.

Sam looked up, surprised. “What are you doing home?”

“I got Daniel to get him, Sam,” Janet said, waiting for her to explode. She wasn’t disappointed.

“Why would you do that, Janet?! You had no right to do that!”

“Please, Sam. We’re just trying to help you.”

“Its okay, Sammy. Daniel said that you were having a few problems.”

Sam started sob again. “He wouldn’t stop crying, Jack. I tried to calm him, but he wouldn’t stop!”

“It’s okay, baby. Shh,” Jack soothed, kissing her forehead.

Janet rose from the bed. “I think we may have worked out what's been upsetting Adam," she told Jack. "Sam said that he's normally unsettled after he's eaten, so he could have developed an intolerance to something that Sam's eating. More than likely it's dairy, but it could be something else. Now, Sam said she hasn't eaten anything dairy since she had pizza last night, so if it is an intolerance to lactose, he shouldn't have a reaction tonight." She looked at Sam. "But you're going to have to feed him to find out, Sam."

She saw Sam baulk at the prospect, but also saw the determination in Jack's eyes and knew he would sort it out. "I'll be downstairs if you need me."

Jack nodded his thanks and sat down on the bed next to Sam. “I think he wants his mom.”

“No he doesn’t. He’ll just cry.”

“No he won’t. Come on, I’m here if it gets too much.”

“No, Jack! I can’t do it! He doesn’t like me!”

“Sam!” he almost shouted, trying to get through to her. “You have never given up on anything in your life and you are not about to start now!” He took a deep, calming breath. “Look at him, angel,” he implored, relieved when her eyes flickered down to the bundle in his arms. “This is our little boy and he needs his mom.”

Sam slowly reached out and touched her child’s little hand, watching as the fingers instinctively wrapped around hers. They sat there for several minutes before Sam hesitantly reached for her baby.

Jack handed Adam over, who whimpered slightly at being jostled before settling down. “See?” Jack whispered. “Nothing can beat mom’s arms.”

“You think I’m being stupid,” she stated as she looked at her little boy.

“No, I don’t,” Jack assured her.

Sam watched her son for a moment longer, before handing him back to Jack. He frowned, thinking that she was rejecting their child, only to realize that she was undoing her shirt and nursing bra. She got herself comfortable before taking the baby and placing him to her breast. Adam latched on and drank greedily, happy now that his stomach was filling.

Jack leant over and kissed Sam's temple. "I knew you could do it," he told her.

"What if it doesn't work?" she asked.

"Then we find something that does. He has his doctor's appointment tomorrow and you have yours with Chris the next day. We'll figure it out, Sam."

Sam nodded, continuing to watch her son nurse.

"How's it going?" Janet asked, poking her head around the corner.

"So far so good," Jack replied. "How long until we know?"

"Give it an hour or two, if he doesn't wake up with an upset stomach then I'd say we've found the problem. Give your pediatrician a call as well, he may want to check him over and make sure there isn't another problem. If this doesn't work, he'll help you get to the bottom of this."

Jack nodded. "We've got an appointment for tomorrow with him."

Janet smiled. "That's good. Now, if you guys don't need us anymore, we'll get going. Daniel was going to take me out to dinner."

"I'm sorry for ruining your evening," Sam said.

"Sweetie, you did no such thing. I just want you to promise me that you'll call if you need anything, okay? You're not on your own in this, we're all here to help you."

"Thank you, Janet," Sam replied, once more feeling teary.

"Anytime," she stressed.

*****

Sam assured Jack that she could put their baby to bed, while he showed Janet and Daniel out. “Thanks. Both of you. We really appreciate your help,” Jack told his friends as they stood at the door.

“You’re welcome, Jack.” Janet paused for a moment.

“What is it?” Jack asked, seeing she wanted to say something.

“Jack, Sam’s reaction was quite extreme. I... look it may be nothing, but I think it’d be a good idea if she talked to someone.”

“Talked to someone? You mean like a therapist?” Jack gave her a strange look.

“Look, this could be just a bad case of the Baby Blues, but it could also be the start of Postpartum Depression. If it is, Jack, it can be *very* serious if left untreated. Maybe talk to Chris when Sam has her check-up, see what she thinks. She’ll have more of an idea than me.”

Jack nodded, trusting his friend. “Okay, Janet. If you think it’s necessary.”

"Call me if you need me," she said again. They both said their goodbyes and left.

Jack turned around to see Sam walking down the stairs. “He went down okay?”

“Yeah, he's out like a light. Let's just hope Janet's theory proves right.”

She sat down with a sigh and Jack sat down next to her, putting an arm around her shoulders. “Are you okay?” he asked her.

She shrugged. “I just feel so overwhelmed,” she admitted quietly.

“Why didn’t you say anything, Sam?”

“Because I didn’t want you to think I was a bad mother.”

Jack looked at her for a moment, seeing how scared she was that he would think that she was a bad mom. “Oh, baby, I’d never think that. You’re a great mom.”

“I thought motherhood was supposed to be some natural thing. That parents were just supposed to know automatically what to do. I mean you do, why can’t I?”

“I’ve been through all of this once before, remember? You’re not expected to know everything straight away. God, Sara and I were a nervous wreck for the first month
with Charlie.”

“Really?”

“Really.” He paused, unsure how to broach the topic and not wanting to upset or anger her. “Sam, Janet suggested that we tell Chris about this when you go and see her.”

“What, that I didn’t know that my milk was upsetting our son?”

He winced at the edge in her voice, but plowed on. “Yeah, but more about how upset you’ve been. She thinks it may be more than just hormones.”

“What else could it be?”

“Something called Post Partridge Depression.”

Sam couldn’t help but chuckle at his slip. “It’s Postpartum Depression, Jack, and I don’t have it.”

Ignoring her jibe, he continued on. “Janet said it can be really bad if it’s not picked up. Can we just make sure? Ask Chris, maybe talk to someone?”

Sam looked at him, a part of her angry that he thought there was something wrong, but another part touched by his obvious concern. She sighed. “Okay, Jack. We’ll talk to Chris about it. I think Janet’s wrong, but if it’ll make you feel better.”

He kissed her temple. “It will, thank you.”

They sat there for a few minutes and Sam looked around the living room. The place really was a mess. To her horror, tears welled again and she couldn’t stop the sob that escaped.

“Hey, angel. What is it?”

“How can you not hate me, Jack? I mean look at this place! I can’t do anything right!” She buried her face in his shirt. “Everything’s so out of control!”

Jack swallowed hard, hating to see her so upset. “It’ll be okay, Sam,” he vowed. “We’ll get some help and everything will be okay. I won’t leave you alone again. I’ll call Hammond and tell him I’m on leave for as long as it takes. He’ll work something out.”

They stayed that way for several minutes until Jack felt Sam start to calm down. He pulled away slightly so he could look at her. “You must be exhausted. Adam should sleep for a while, so why don’t we have a nap as well?” He kissed her forehead. “Go on. I’ll call Hammond and then join you, okay?”

Sam gave a small smile. “I’ll meet you in bed.”

When Jack walked into their bedroom five minutes later, she was curled up on her side, sound asleep. He smiled, bending down to kiss her forehead before undressing, getting under the covers and spooning up behind her.

"It's gonna be okay, Baby. I'll help you through this," he vowed. "After everything that we went through to have this baby, you deserve to be able to enjoy being a mom and I'll make sure that you do, I promise."

*****

Every time you cry
Save up all your tears
I will be your rainbow, when they disappear
Wash away the pain
'til you smile again
I will be the laughter in your eyes
Every time you cry

*****