samandjack.net

Story Notes: Steps 10: AUTHOR: Ruth M. King ruth@snowqueen.demon.co.uk

ARCHIVE: Sam and Jack, anyone else please ask

SPOILERS: Upgrades

SEQUEL: A sequel to First Steps, Step Two, Three Steps Forward, Four Steps Back, Timesteps, Six Steps, Alternate Steps, 100 Steps, Grey Steps. If anyone wants any of these just let me know.

NOTES: Continuing my challenge response :):)...It's a bit short this time:)


The worse thing about these tests is the waiting. I mean why does it take so long? There has to be a way to speed up the process. I mean if I spend much longer in the bathroom someone's going to come looking for me. I knew I should have waited until I got home....but I just couldn't. Look at me....five days late and I'm reaching for the pregnancy test. Janet doesn't think I'm doing myself any good. She's probably right. Some parts of this trying for a baby thing are fun...the anticipation, however.....I confessed to Jack that I'd stopped taking the pill. He wants to wait until we're married, but I can't do that. I think I managed to bring him around to my point of view. Let's face facts, what man is gonna refuse when a woman orders him to have sex?

It's not that he doesn't want kids, but I think he's a little nervous. I am too. There's a chance I might miscarry again.....but if we don't try I'll never find out. Never give up, that's what my Dad always told me.

C'mon....C'mon....I'm due in the Gateroom....I can't go off world without knowing. If there's a chance that I am pregnant I doubt Janet will let me go through the 'gate...not for the first three months anyway.

We seem to have been trying for months, even though it's barely four since Jack did his little undercover stunt. It could be that I'm expecting too much too soon. The first time was an accident, I can't see why it should take so long when we're actually planning this. It's not that much to ask, is it? I mean hundreds of kids are born all of the time, why can't I have one? I know I'm getting obsessed with this. Janet keeps on telling me that it will take time and patience.....and love. Sometimes I wonder if Jack loves me as much as he says he does. I don't know why. Maybe it's this constant fear that I won't be able to give him what he wants. Some part of me can't forget the other women who have shared his life...they all seemed very different from me....

But they don't have him....and I do....several times a week. I can't help smirking at that thought. Mmmmm.....My pleasant thoughts are interrupted by the sound of someone entering the bathroom. Damn, I was hoping for a little privacy. It makes things easier when you break down and cry. Curious, I peep through the crack in the stall door. It's Janet...with someone I've never seen before. She's tall, blond, and she's wearing some kind of outfit that looks like.....well...there isn't that much of it. I'm not endeared to her any further by the fact that the first words out of her mouth,

"Dr. Fraiser? Regarding Colonel O'Neill?"

"What about him?" Janet replies.

"He is an...intriguing man."

"I'm not certain I understand?"

The other woman just smiles....but it's an expression I recognise. She has the hots for my fiance! I can see her preening in front of the mirror. If she thinks she has a chance.....Then I look at her again. She has all the attributes that I know Jack finds attractive...and a figure to die for. God, I wish I looked like that...I wish I had the gall to wear that outfit on the base. Then again, it wouldn't be exactly practical when it came to doing anything apart from posing. And I doubt it could beat that little blue negligee I bought as a surprise for Jack.

"A little word of advice," I hear Janet begin.

"I value your opinion, doctor."

"Colonel O'Neill is engaged."

"His is bound to another?"

"Not yet, but he will be soon."

The woman doesn't reply, but I don't like the sound of the silence that follows. I take another look and see her preening herself in front of the mirror. Why is it that these women always seem to be attracted to Jack? Not that he's bad looking, but Daniel never seems to have the same effect.....and most of the female staff here are swooning over him. I mean I know what attracted me to Jack, but that took time. Maybe it's the way he looks at them....yeah I've noticed his eyes rove from time to time. He has this kind of bad boy expression in his....Is it my imagination or has it suddenly gotten hot in here?

I look through the door again. With one last glance in the mirror, the strange woman leaves, trailing Janet behind her. Somehow I get the feeling that the two of them aren't going to get on very well.

Alone again I turn my attention back to my test. It should have changed colour by now. I fight the sinking feeling as I realise the reason why it's not telling me what I want to know. I'm not pregnant...not this time. Part of me just wants to sit down and howl, but I haven't got time for that. I have a mission to lead. Of course this means I'm probably going to end up with stomach cramps while I'm off-world....oh joy...... Must stop by the infirmary and pick up some more Advil. The guys will have to wait.

I jog all the way to Janet's office, arriving slightly out of breath and not really prepared to find that strange woman with her hand down Jack's shirt. She has a good feel while she's down there, and it's all I can do to stop myself hitting her.

"Sam!" Jack notices me lingering by the door.

"What's going on here?" I ask, my voice sounds very cold.

"Freya, this is Lieutenant Colonel Carter," Janet introduces us.

Freya just nods and returns to her examination of Jack. For the first time I notice he has some strange kind of band on his right forearm. It's alien technology, but why is Jack wearing it?

"Jack...what is that?" I ask him.

Freya replies for him. Telling me how the Tok'ra found these devices and how they're supposed to give the wearer superior strength and speed.

"Is this safe?" I have to ask.

"I will be monitoring the subjects life signs most carefully," Freya attempts to reassure me...but that's my boyfriend she's talking about. I don't like this. I don't like this at all.

"Don't worry Sam," Jack grins at me, "I'm going to be faster, stronger......and sexier....if that's possible."

"Really?"

I raise an eyebrow at Jack's bold statement.....but I don't think he's exactly enamoured with this situation. He stands and flexes his right hand.

"I don't feel any different," he says.

"The effects will take time to become apparent," Freya replies.

I suddenly remember what I came here for, and turn back to Janet,

"Jan, can you slip me some Advil?" I ask.

"Cramps?" she asks.

"Yeah....not yet, but while I'm off-world."

Jack looks at me and I shake my head. I didn't tell him that I was late, but he probably guessed. Wonderful man that he is, he doesn't say anything and pulls me into his arms. Sometimes, Jack isn't too good with words, but his actions say all that I want. I bury my head against his shoulder, inhaling the scent of him. He's wearing that cologne I got him for Christmas.

"Colonel O'Neill, if you will accompany me....I need to conduct further tests," Freya is not making herself anymore popular here.

"It can wait," Jack snaps back.

"No," I smile, gently pulling out of his arms. "I have to go."

"Are you sure you're OK?"

"Yeah." I reach up and kiss him, a little more passionately than I usually would given the fact that we have an audience. Jack gasps into my mouth and clutches at me, somehow oblivious of the other people in the room. I can't help smiling as I feel him against me, but I have to pull myself away....

"See you in a couple of days," I tell him.

I leave the infirmary, with my pain killers, while Freya is shaking her head over the sudden jump in Jack's pulse rate.

**************************************************************************** *********

OK so I'm cranky. I admit it, it's been a real effort to control my temper....especially given the fact we've spent the last two days crouched in the pouring rain, watching a team of archaeologists orgasmically expounding over their latest finds. It would have been slightly more bearable if Daniel had been one of them, but he'd also been dragged into that dubious experiment of Freya's. As it was I had to deal with that idiot Rothman.....which didn't help the state of my temper.

Now all I want to do is go home, have a hot bath, a cup of tea and a massage. Jack gives the greatest back rubs. I close my eyes and revel in the thought for a second. Lying on the bed, Jack moving oil slicked hands up and down my naked back, the scent of lavender, the flicker of candles....pure heaven.

But no! Like that's going to happen when Jack, Daniel and Kowalsky have taken it into their heads to go off on some unauthorised mission. Seems those armbands weren't as benign as Freya claimed. In addition to the increased strength etc. it appears that the alien technology has triggered some interesting behavioural anomalies. For a start Jack and I are never going to be able to dine at O'Malley's again. So, instead of going home to my bath, tea and massage, I have to go save SG1's collective butts. Their bodies are rejecting the armbands and if that happens while they're in Goa'uld territory....If anything happens to Jack I'm going to personally beat crap out of every dyed hair and silicone implant. She knew this would happen. Freya planted the idea in their heads, knowing that they'd be unable to resist the chance to show off their "super powers". They're such......Men!!!

I barely have time to change, before I'm waiting to go through the 'gate again. The rest of my team has some much needed downtime, but I'm really trying not to think about that. Teal'c and I are loaded for bear...we have to be. Blame it on the armbands or on excessive testosterone but not one of them thought to take any weapons. Absolutely typical.

The area around the alien 'gate has been devastated. Whatever hit those Jaffa they aren't going to get up again. It's frightening. No man was ever meant to have that kind of power. I heard that Jack tipped Sergeant Siler over the stairs in the control room....nearly killed him, without even breaking into a sweat. All he could say was sorry.

"LieutenantColonelCarter, I believe it is this way," Teal'c gestures towards the huge great ship that dominates the horizon. As if I could possibly miss seeing it....but he's right. We have to get to them before the armbands fail. He breaks into a jog and I follow him, hoping that I can keep up. I'm breathless by the time we reach the ship. There is no opposition. SG1 have taken care of the guards here the same way they did at the 'gate. Finding them isn't difficult, we just have to follow the trail of bodies. I think I'm going to be sick. I'm not certain I even want to find Jack....if he's capable of doing this.

"Teal'c," I say.

"Yes."

"You hear something?"

It might be my imagination, but I swear I can hear the distinctive footfalls of serpent guards. I have a bad feeling about this.

"This way," I tell him.

To Teal'c's credit, he doesn't argue. He follows as I lead the way towards an intersection. I don't pause to think as I see the two guards. Teal'c shoots one and I get the other.

"It appears you required my assistance after all," he intones as we step around the corner.

He's right. Daniel is flat on his back, the armband discarded by his side. Neither Jack or Kowalsky look so good. They're both sweating despite the fact that it isn't that hot in here. What has that woman done to them? Daniel is so weak that he can hardly stand. We help him up, but he leans heavily against Teal'c.

There are more serpent guards on their way. With Daniel barely functional, it'll be a miracle if we get out of here.

"Take him," Jack orders. "Kowalsky and I will draw them off."

What! Has he gone completely mad? If their armbands fail they won't have a chance. I stand there gaping at him.

"Get going!" he commands.

"No! You have to come with us."

"Lieutenant Colonel....I gave you a direct order."

"Crap! I'm not leaving you."

"Carter!"

"Your superpowers are gonna get hit by kryptonite any second. What if you're trapped here?"

"That won't happen."

The rest of his team are standing open mouthed as I dare to argue with their commanding officer. I guess I'm giving them a good example of why I couldn't be under his direct command, but I'm not about to let him throw his life away.

"We all go or not at all," I finish.

Jack's eyes meet mine. He knows I'm serious about this. And it's not just because I love him...at least that's what I'm telling myself. This is a stupid risk he doesn't have to take. He glances at Kowalsky.....who nods....and then they run. Leaving me standing there.

"OK Teal'c lets get out of here," I say, trying to hide the fact that Jack has just hurt me. I mean why should I care?

I lead the way out, not really caring if Teal'c is following or not. He's burdened by Daniel, but that doesn't seem to slow him down. When we reach the entrance, I can't help but pause, looking back over my shoulder to see if anyone is following us. The corridor remains empty. What do I do now? Should I stay?....but if I do that I'm as bad as Jack. I can't help myself.....I can't just leave him. So we stand there, waiting for the ship to blow up.

**************************************************************************** ********

"You're OK," Janet gives me a clean bill of health and I jump off of the bed.

Jack is sitting opposite me, looking at me with his best puppy dog eyes. I should be so mad at him, but I'm not. Hammond is blaming the alien technology for their behaviour, so I guess I should give him the benefit of the doubt. Besides, when it came to it.....I just couldn't bring myself to leave him. When did I get so dependent on Jack that I couldn't imagine my world without him? I used to pride myself on my self reliance. Growing up, I didn't need anyone. My father made certain of that. Now....I look at Jack and I know that if he died, part of me would never recover.....and it's scaring me half to death.

I walk over to him and let him pull me into his arms.

"Sorry," he whispers.

"Accepted," I breathe back.

I turn my head so my lips are brushing the skin at the nape of his neck, just to let him know he's forgiven. Hmm...now what was I thinking? Jack can be so distracting. Freya's gone...good riddance! She's not the type of person I want hanging around. She's far too manipulative. I wonder how far she would go to get what she wants?

Jack smells and tastes so good right now that I don't want to think about anything else. I think Janet wants to get us out of her infirmary, because she lets me take him home straight away. We wouldn't have started making out on the bed....much. Once we're away from the base he gives me what I've been longing for....my back massage. And right now, keeping me happy is far more important than saving the world.