samandjack.net

Story Notes: Steps 12: ruth@snowqueen.demon.co.uk

ARCHIVE: Sam and Jack, anyone else please ask

SPOILERS: Tangent

SEQUEL: A sequel to First Steps, Step Two, Three Steps Forward, Four Steps Back, Timesteps, Six Steps, Alternate Steps, 100 Steps, Grey Steps, Next Steps, Step Beneath. If anyone wants any of these just let me know.

NOTES: Continuing my challenge response :):).


I think I like being pregnant.

Smoothing the fabric of my gown over my stomach, I regard my profile in the mirror. Janet and I had to take this dress apart and put it back together again, but I think the effort was worth it.

By the time we got back from that ice planet, I was too fat to fit in my wedding dress so it was either do the alterations or go out and buy a new one. Janet's actually a pretty good seamstress. She says that sewing up people is the same as sewing up dresses....which should probably worry me.

We took the opportunity to alter the design a little. I've never had much in the way of a bust, but now I do, I want to make the most of it. And Jack likes it....in fact, Jack seems to like everything about my pregnancy, which is one of the reasons I'm so happy. I can't feel fat and unattractive when he's around me. There's so many little things he does to make me comfortable
with this.... I protested at first, but he said he missed most of Sara's pregnancy.....That was all he had to say. He hasn't mentioned Charlie much, but I know he has some worries about being a father again. I know he'll be great. I've seen him with other kids and he'll be wonderful with his own.

"So, how does it feel?" Janet asks me.

"Perfect," I reply, twirling in front of her.

"Jack's going to flip."

"I certainly hope so."

The fabric is shear and drapes softly over my bump. We lowered the neckline and it now reveals a nice expanse of cleavage. I'm going to dab a spot of perfume there, just for Jack to find on the honeymoon. The crowning glory has to be the skirt. Janet took the dress away and she spent two weeks embroidering pale blue roses all over it. I never knew she was so talented.
I'm going to have roses in my bouquet and more in my hair. There's not a lot else I can do with it now. I was growing it for the wedding, but it got cropped short while we were working in the plant.

Everyone's been so sweet. Having missed our first wedding date, everything has had to be done in a rush. General Hammond found us a church, Kowalski has made the cake (!!!), and Ferretti's wife is going to ice it. One of Janet's nurses has volunteered to do the flowers.....it seems like everyone on the base has a stake in getting Jack and I to walk up that aisle. They should have, it's been a long journey. A long, very sweet journey.

"Sam! Honey!"

It's Jack's voice, he's home early.

"Quick, Janet," I urge, "he mustn't see me."

Between us we manage to get me out of the dress and bundle it back into thebag. I can hear Jack's footsteps on the stairs. We're giggling like mad by the time he finds us. He just gives us an indulgent smile. It seems I can get away with anything while I'm in this condition....and I admit I'm taking advantage of him at every opportunity. Although sending him out at 3AM to find onion bagels was probably pushing things a little.

He crosses the room to take me in his arms, planting one kiss on my forehead and another on my bump. I wriggle slightly in his grasp, making him hold me tighter.

"Would you two get a room!" Janet exclaims.

Jack laughs but he doesn't let go. She knows it's time to leave us alone and we see her to the door.

I don't think I've ever seen Jack so happy....I don't think I've ever been so happy. We're going to be parents! The very thought is mind blowing. Our friends are very indulgent of our little displays of affection. Although General Hammond did go a strange shade of purple when Jack grabbed me in his office. We weren't going to do anything....honest. Janet does occasionally joke that, if I'm not careful, she's going to ban me from having sex. I'd like to see her try.

Losing our memories, being trapped below ground, brought subtle changes to Jack and I. The fact that we found each other, learned to love each other all over again....it takes my breath away when I think about it. Every doubt I ever had was swept away. I know that we're meant to be together...forever.

"So you guys are all set?" Jack asks.

"Yeah, Janet finished the dress last night," I reply.

"Can't wait to see you wear it."

"You can't wait to take it off, you mean?"

"That too."

"Not long now."

He gives a sigh and buries his face in my neck.

"You think we'll make it?" he whispers into my hair.

"Jack, we have three days to go. What could possibly go wrong? The only mission you have is test flying that glider with Teal'c."

"You're right."

"I usually am."

We're both a little apprehensive. It seems that just as everything gets perfect something bad happens. But what could possibly go wrong with a simple little test flight?

*************************************************************************************

Jack is so looking forward to flying in the X301. He's like a small kid this morning, too excited to eat any breakfast. I managed to make him drink a cup of coffee....which was probably a mistake, because it only made him more hyperactive. He's very possessive of that glider. Something to do with the fact that it's the one we brought back from Apophis' ship....Jack honestly
thinks it's his. Sometimes he can be so.....so....male.

For once, he's ready to go to work ages before I am. Not that it does him any good....I don't move as fast as I used to.

"Sam!"

He's shouting up the stairs.

"In the bathroom!" I yell back.

"Again?"

"Pregnant, remember!"

"We have to go!"

"So do I!"

"I'm going to get the car started."

I hear the front door slam and a few seconds later, the car starts. Sighing to myself, I finish as quickly as I can and join Jack outside. He gives me a look as if to say 'about time' but he knows better than to voice his opinion. After all, I didn't get this way by myself, Jack did have something to do with it. Quite a lot to do with it actually, when I remember how long we were trying.

"Can we stop for pancakes?" I ask.

"What?"

"I want some pancakes."

The urge has come on me suddenly. Despite the fact I had a perfectly adequate breakfast, I could really do with something else. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that early on in the pregnancy I only seemed to be able to eat cheese sandwiches. But pancakes are what I need now, and what I must have.

"It'll only take a second," I plead.

"Hammond's got some General Vidrine coming to observe the flight, how's it going to look if we're late."

"Please Jack, I'm hungry."

"You are going to get fat."

"I'm already fat."

Jack get's that dreamy little smile on his face and spares a hand to caress my stomach. Baby kicks a little, waking up for the first time this morning. For some reason me being kicked makes Jack smile all the more, but I forgive him when he swings the car over and dashes across the road to buy me my pancakes.

We aren't late. I knew we had plenty of time despite the diversion. Besides, nothing is more important than my pancakes. I don't care how many stars this General Vidrine has.

Once we're on the base, Jack disappears in the direction of the locker room, while I make my way up to the airstrip. I've invested a fair amount of time in this project. Since I'm not commanding SG2 at the moment I had to find something to do. The X301 is waiting on the strip. While I'm here, I take a peek inside, wishing that I could be the one to take her up. Staying behind
is going to take some getting used to. I've never been that good at sitting back and waiting.

It's a little chilly in the open air....I hope Vidrine shows up soon otherwise I'm going to have to go to the bathroom again. Junior seems to be actively kicking my bladder this morning. If it's a boy, he's going to be so much like his dad. Before long Jack comes running along the strip, hastily doing up his G-suit. For a man who's supposed to have bad knees, he can certainly move fast when he wants.

"What did I miss?" he demands.

"Nothing," I reply.

Temporarily unaware of our military surroundings he wraps his arms about my waist.

"Ain't she a beauty?" he grins.

"Yes, Jack," I sigh.

"What?"

"I don't know...I guess I just want the chance to go up there."

He turns me around to face him, placing his hand on my stomach.

"You're not regretting this, are you?"

"Not for a second," I reply.

Jack grins at me, and temporarily forgets about his ship as he pulls me into his arms. We only break apart when I hear a loud cough. Turning around, I see General Hammond standing with the rest of SG1 and...oh...General Vidrine. I immediately snap to attention, but Jack even makes that common manoeuvre look sloppy.

"Colonel, Lieutenant Colonel?"

The question in Vidrine's voice is clear. He's wondering what the hell an airforce colonel is doing hugging a pregnant Lieutenant Colonel. Jack immediately shifts into alpha male mode and points at me,

"Mine," he says.

I just roll my eyes, but General Hammond comes to our rescue.

"General Vidrine, may I introduce Colonel Jack O'Neill and his fiancee Lieutenant Colonel Samantha Carter. Lieutenant Colonel Carter is our expert on the Stargate and has invested a great deal of time in the X301."

"And I'm going to take second seat to Teal'c," Jack adds....just in case anyone has actually managed to forget.

"Proceed," Vidrine orders.

Jack gives me a quick kiss before running across the tarmac to join Teal'c. I glance at Vidrine, but he's pretending not to have noticed. I'm really going to have to have a long talk with Jack regarding improper behaviour when he gets back.

*************************************************************************************

Stupid! Stupid! Stupid!

It had to happen, didn't it? I was the one who tempted fate.

I pull on Teal'c's fatigue pants.......the only ones that I can get to do upnow. Janet would have a fit if she knew what I was about to do, but I'm not going to tell her. As far as Hammond's concerned I'm okay for 'gate travel, and I am going to get Jack back......I am. Dammit, we are going to get married even if I have to drag that glider back with my bare hands! I think
it's anger that's driving me on. I can't believe that the universe would be so cruel as to take him from me now. We were so close.

There are three men standing outside the locker room, waiting to talk me out of this, but they're not going to be successful. I'm too mad. It's not as if I'm completely useless. They can carry the guns and I'll drag Jack back by the scruff of his neck. All I want is to get married, is that too much to ask? Other people seem to be able to do it, without their prospective husbands being kidnapped by a death glider and sent off towards the Oort cloud. It's really starting to piss me off. I mean what have we done to deserve all this?

OK I'm ready. I look like a blimp, but I'm ready. These fatigues really aren't designed with the pregnant woman in mind.

"Let's go," I mutter as I leave the locker room. I'm still a Lieutenant Colonel and they have to follow my orders.

Ferretti, Kowalski and Daniel fall in behind me. Like me, they don't want to be left behind. Even General Hammond knows better than to try and stop us. Don't ever give a pregnant woman a gun....If I do have to shoot anyone, I can always blame it on the hormones. That thought actually cheers me up a little....

"Where the hell do you think you're going?"

I should have expected that Janet would show up at some point. In fact, I'm a little surprised that she didn't beat the information out of Hammond a lot earlier. I throw my answer back at her, not bothering to slow down at all,

"I'm going to get Jack."

"No way. Not in your condition!" she protests.

"I'm not an invalid."

"Okay, what if you meet enemy forces?"

"She's got me and Ferretti," Kowalski adds.

"And me," Daniel interrupts.

"And Daniel." I finish, "Janet...Tomorrow is my wedding day and I am going to get married, even if we have to do it out in space."

"What if you don't make it?"

"We will."

We have to. Jack can't die without seeing his child, I won't let that happen. Janet just stands there, I know she won't say anything else. She realises how serious I am. No one can stop me. That argument settled, we continue towards the 'gate and our rendezvous with the Tok'ra.

*************************************************************************************

It's Dad. That fact shouldn't really surprise me, but it does. Anise did say it was someone who was important to us all.....but I trust that woman about as far as I could comfortably spit out an aardvark. He's in a really pissy mood. First of all he yells at me for interrupting his mission....although he did calm down when he realised it was Jack who needed saving. Then he started in on me about modifying Goa'uld technology!! He's got some nerve! And what's he doing on a secret mission anyway....he's supposed to be giving me away tomorrow! Or was he going to give my wedding a miss....Just like all those birthdays and Christmases. I admit I'm fighting angry tears. I thought things were better between us since he blended with Selmak, but he's
backsliding.

"So when did this happen?" he asks me while the other guys are resting.

I don't know what he's talking about at first, but then I realise....Dad didn't know about the baby. We've been out of touch for so long, that I never told him when I found out. The next big news was the wedding and I just invited him along to that.

"Seven months ago" I tell him. "Grandchild number three!"

"And you thought now was a good time?"

"Excuse me?"

"I'm sorry Sam, I just never thought that, at this point in career, you would consider having a child. Getting married was enough....."

"Why? It was okay for you."

"That's different."

"Really?"

"However you like to paint it, there's still a lot of inequality out there. And having a child...."

"I can't believe I'm hearing this!"

He just shrugs, in his most annoying parental manner. I hate it when he does this. Why can't he just be happy for me? But I guess that isn't, Dad. It never has been. All my achievements have been overshadowed by the bitter pill he seems to force down my throat every time we meet. Well, not this time. I refuse to let him get to me.

Then I have an idea. I take his hand and place it on my stomach. The baby kicks.

"Feel that?" I ask him.

"Yes."

"How can I have doubts when this wonderful person is growing inside me? It's more important that anything else."

"You never did take the easy path, did you?"

"Be happy for me, Dad....be happy for us."

He hugs me then, and our argument is temporarily forgotten.

*************************************************************************************

"Some honeymoon," he mutters.

I laugh, burying my face against Jack. With a cargo hold full of people we can't exactly celebrate in the way we would have liked. There are a lot of things I will share with Kowalski, Ferretti and Daniel, but my sex life is off limits.

"I told you we were getting married today," I remind him...even if we had to do it over the radio with a time lag.

"You okay?" he asks.

"Yes....you?"

"A little cold still."

He was freezing when we transported him aboard, but shared body heat soon solved that problem.

"So...Mrs. O'Neill..?"

"Mr O'Neill?"

I thought about hyphenating, but it was such a mouthful. Samantha Carter-O'Neill....too much. Although I suppose it should really be Lieutenant Colonel O'Neill...Lieutenant Colonel -Doctor O'Neill....I'll think about it when I get my new business cards printed.

"Tired?" I ask him.

"Yeah."

We shift our position and Jack lies down with his head on the bump. I run my fingers through his hair, stroking until he falls asleep.

Damn! The wedding dress!!! Janet's gonna kill me!

Ah well....getting married in khaki and army boots was probably more my style. With one hand on my husband and the other caressing the place where our unborn child rests, I smile.