samandjack.net

Story Notes: In The First Commandment, Jack already knew that Sam and Jonis had been engaged, so I descided to write how he could have found out.


SG-1 had just finished there debriefing and the General had given them 48 hours down time. "Before you all go, I'd like to introduce you all to our newest member. He'll be taking over command of SG-9." He pushed the intercom button. "Send the Captain in son."

A tall, slightly graying man walked into the room and gave a quick salute.

"At ease Captain. I would like you all to meet Captain Jonis Hanson."

Jonis nodded in everyone's direction but his eyes stayed focused on Sam.

"Oh great, like my life isn't complicated enough" Sam said under her breath.

"Do you two know each other?" Jack asked, curious at Sam's reaction to the new guy.

"You could say that Sir, excuse me." She went to walk past the group but Jonis grabbed her arm. "How 'bout a drink later Sam?"

Sam pulled her arm free, trying not to make a scene in front of her superiors. "Maybe some other time Jonis, I'm busy tonight." With that she walked out the door. Jack and Daniel looked at each other and then back at Jonis. Both were slightly worried about Sam's uncharacteristic behavior.

Jack nodded to Daniel and Teal'c before walking toward the door. "Nice to meet you Hanson, but if you'll excuse us we're on down time as of now and want to get out of here."

"Certainly Colonel. I'm sure I'll be seeing you around the base."

"No doubt," Jack threw over his shoulder as he walked out in pursuit of Sam.

"What do you think that was all about?" Daniel asked as they walked down the hall.

"Don't know. Carter was not a very happy camper though. How 'bout we go find out."

They headed in the general direction of her quarters and found her already leaving, bag in hand. "Hey Sam, wait up." Daniel called, picking up the pace a bit to catch up with her. She turned and, seeing her three team mates walking toward her, sighed. She was in no mood for an interrogation.

"What do you want Daniel?" Her voice was harder than she intended.

Daniel was a bit taken aback but Jack wasn't even fazed. "You seem a bit uncomfortable with that Jonis guy being here. Is there a reason?"

"No I always greet people like that," she said, her words laced with sarcasm. She just wanted to go home. Daniel was about ready to leave her alone but Jack wouldn't give in.

"Come on Carter, this isn't like you. We just wanna know what's up."

The softness of his voice and the concern behind his words softened her defenses. "Oh well, I suppose you'll find out sooner or later. Jonis and I were engaged." She looked up at them and almost laughed. Jack's eyebrows had nearly raised to the ceiling and Daniel's jaw had almost dropped to the floor. The only person who didn't look shocked was Teal'c, but that was no surprise. He rarely showed any emotion on his face.

"Uhh... engaged as in engaged to be married?" Daniel finally spoke.

"Yes Daniel we were getting married" she said, a bit exasperated. "I broke it off not long before I joined the Stargate program. Now if you'll excuse me I'm going home. See you all in a couple of days." With that she turned and entered the lift before anyone could say anything else.

Daniel turned to look at Jack, who was still staring at the elevator doors. "Well that was a surprise."

"Ah yeah, you could say that" Jack replied.



******



Sam was just sitting down in front of the fire with a glass of wine, when the doorbell rang. She reluctantly got up and opened the door. "Colonel." she said in surprise, stepping back to let him in.

"How's it going Carter?"

"Well I've had better days. Sir I'm really not in the mood for..." she started, but he cut her off.

"You seemed a bit upset this afternoon and I thought that maybe you needed to talk. Despite popular beliefs I am really a good listener."

Sam smiled, despite herself. "Would you like a drink?" she asked, leading him into the living room.

"What ever your having's fine" he returned. While Sam went to the kitchen, Jack looked around at her apartment. It was different to what he'd expected. At work Sam was a real tomboy but her home was tastefully feminine.

"There you are" she said, handing him a glass of wine. She sat on the couch, gesturing for him to do the same.

"So" Jack said after a long silence.

"So" Sam repeated, looking at her glass.

"So you wanna tell me about it?" Jack asked.

Sam shrugged. "There's not that much to tell. I was engaged to him and I broke it off."

Jack moved closer to her. "Okay, but you seemed really upset to see him."

Sam sighed, finally looking at Jack. "When I broke up with him, he took it really badly. First he threatened me, even threw me up against a wall once. When that didn't work he begged me. He would ring me up at two in the morning crying and telling me how sorry he was and that he couldn't live without me. I managed to convince him to get some help and then I transferred to the SGC. I haven't spoken to him for a few months."

Sam looked across at Jack. He could see that she was upset, her eyes were shining with unshed tears. He grabbed her hand and squeezed it. "I want you to promise me something" he said quietly.

"What?" She asked, brows furrowed.

"If this guy... or anyone else for that matter, ever threatens you. I want you to tell me."

"Colonel, I can look after myself" she insisted, although silently she was glad that he had offered to protect her.

"I'm sure you can Captain, but you are a member of my team now and I look after my team. Never forget that."

Sam gave him a small smile. "Thankyou Sir. That means a lot to me."

"Well please don't forget it. I'm here for you if you need me." He looked at his watch. "I better go and let you get some rest. We've had a long day today."

Sam walked him to the door. "Thankyou for stopping by Sir" she said as she opened the door for him.

"No problem. Goodnight Carter" he replied, stepping out into the cool night air.

"Goodnight Colonel" Sam replied, shutting the door behind him. She sighed as she leaned up against the door. Not many people surprised her but the Colonel certainly had. She had thought him a sexist pig when she first met him, but the man that had just left her house was sweet and caring. She shook her head. She was beginning to like him *way* to much.