samandjack.net

Story Notes: Author's Note: Hi folks

Having only recently posted a fic based around Sam's birthday, to post another, albeit different, makes it appear I have a one track mind. I don't, honest! This one was written a while back, whereas Never Alone was written and posted to meet a recent fic challenge, and it is pure coincidence that the two come so close together, I swear! Onwards and upwards.

Su

Thanks to Bonnie for her beta and helpful suggestions. As Fulinn28 she also made a terrific book cover from a cap of Jack and Sam, which she played with to give it a great look. Thanks so much Fulinn. The book cover can be seen on the site at: http://www.ficwithfins.com/AA3_1/archive/1/theperfect.html


The Perfect Thing

The members of her team made a huge fuss and there was much embracing and cheek kissing alongside the sound of tearing paper that one hears as presents are being unwrapped. Sam exclaimed 'ooh, ahh!' appropriately. O'Neill said nothing, simply watched, pleased that Sam was having a good morning on her birthday but embarrassed because he'd been so busy Generalling lately that the event had slipped his mind.

It wasn't like him to forget Carter's birthday. When she looked at him expectantly he merely shrugged as if to say 'I got nothin'. Sam was a little disappointed as her CO usually thought of something just right as a present. It had always surprised and pleased her.

As she switched to auto pilot, nodding in all the right places at what her team mates were saying, her mind wandered back to past birthdays and the presents he'd bought: the wonderful blue jumper that enhanced her eyes; the delicate silver bracelet that suited so well and which she wore frequently; the paperweight made of a beautiful and genuine piece of moon rock surrounded by glass; the over large fluffy Tigger slippers that cheered her up when she'd been feeling down. He always seemed to find the perfect thing.

Since that day she'd turned up at his place to reveal her doubts about Pete, only to find Kerry Johnson there, she never had plucked up the courage to express her feelings. Since then a lot had happened: the Goa'uld and Replicator threats were more or less eliminated; her father had died; Daniel had lived; she'd split up with Pete; and the team had been to Jack's cabin for a little R&R, mourning, celebration, and fishing. However they were still merely colleagues, friends, CO and subordinate: The General and Lt. Colonel Carter.

Sam had to confess that this was a disappointment. Not that long ago she had become acutely aware of what truly lay in her heart, and what she wished for, and had split with Pete as a result, but she was no longer certain of Jack's intentions. The day her father had died he'd put his arm around her in comfort and told her he'd be there for her "always".

She remembered stroking his hand, the way they had looked at each other, and the feeling that this was going to become their defining moment. Maybe it was and maybe it wasn't, but the moment was never pursued and nothing was defined although it probably should have been. Perhaps it was time to clear the air and fight for what she wanted.

An old friend in the Pentagon had mentioned a rumour that General Hammond was retiring at last, and that the President was considering Jack as his replacement. That meant she could lose him. He might leave the SGC and move to Washington, while she stayed in Colorado. The notion of an SGC without Jack in it was devastating by itself, but that he might move away from her, that their constant contact could be cut to virtually nothing; that was unacceptable to her. Maybe it was time for the all or nothing approach to her predicament.

It suddenly occurred to Sam that Daniel was asking her a question and she was nodding in response but hadn't heard him.

"Earth calling Sam. Come in Sam. Over." he said.

"Sorry Daniel, I lost the thread." She smiled as if she had been listening intently up until that moment.

"I asked if you're coming to the mess for coffee and cake or something."

"Cake? Yeah, sure. Now?" She replied and Daniel nodded. "Give me five minutes and I'll join you guys?" She said looking at O'Neill, surprised he hadn't even spoken.

Her team mates exited leaving Jack still staring at Sam silently. He took a deep breath and spoke.

"Sorry Carter, I forgot to get you something. Only little ole me." He joked, opening his arms out wide and shrugging in a gesture so typical of the man. "Happy birthday, Sam, have a great time tonight, whatever you're doing." He turned on his heel to leave and Sam called out to him.

"General!"

Jack stopped in mid-stride and slowly turned to face her, curiosity written on his face with a simple raised eyebrow.

"Are you doing anything later or would you like to go for a drink, maybe dinner?" Sam blurted out. She could see his surprise, or maybe shock, at her invitation.

"Erm. aren't you seeing Pete on your birthday?"

Sam was surprised he wasn't aware she'd broken her engagement to Pete. She hadn't told him herself but other people, like Daniel and Teal'c, knew and she assumed it would get back to him. So much for the SGC grapevine. Maybe they thought he knew already. Hadn't he noticed the lack of wedding related activity? Maybe he tried not to think about all of that. His ignorance might explain a lot. Was now the time to tell him? Not here, she decided and shrugged, continuing to stare into his eyes. He was mesmerised, unable to break her hold and thought he saw something in her eyes. Was he mistaken? Must be.

"W-what about Daniel and T?" He stumbled on, unsure of what she intended.

She said nothing for a while, simply continuing to look at him. At last his nerves allowed him to break that contact and, glancing at his feet, he shifted around uncomfortably, but then dared look at her again. His cheeks were flushed and he could feel their warmth. He believed his thoughts must be plainly written on his face and wanted to sink into the floor. Why is there never a huge hole in the floor when you need one?

"Actually, Sir, I-I wondered if you and I. maybe we could." She was finding it hard to say it and it was her turn to blush.

"You mean just you and I?" he asked, hardly able to believe what she was suggesting. She nodded. "Ah! I. well. I... Jeez Carter, I'm a General in the USAF and I can't even string a sentence together. Go figure!"

He looked half amused and half confused. Was she asking him out on a date? He wasn't entirely sure what she wanted. She knew he joked to cover his feelings but couldn't quite fathom what they were, deciding he was reluctant and needed a way out.

"It's okay, Sir. It was just a thought. We haven't been out alone for a long time."

'Like never!' Jack thought, wondering how to react to such a dangerous suggestion.

"I know you're busy General. I should never have asked."

Sam started to look more embarrassed than ever and seriously wished she had said nothing. It was such a stupid idea. She'd had a sudden, desperate, and probably foolish, urge to spend some time alone with this man she constantly called 'Sir'. It seemed that her heart told her this is what she wanted to do for her birthday; screw her head. She should have listened to her head. Sensing her unease he made a hasty decision to be daring and risk it.

"I can make myself unbusy." He said. "If-If you like."

"That would be great, sir!" She smiled brightly causing Jack's heart to yearn for her more than ever.

Jack managed to stay calm while making arrangements to pick her up, telling her he'd make her birthday dinner a surprise because she couldn't decide where to go. It was Sam who had done the asking but Jack was determined to be the one who did the taking out. Then he managed to stumble out of the door, pleading work, and quickly made his way back to his office thinking that he suddenly had a spring in his step - and a bad case of nerves. What the heck was he doing?

At least he now had time to find her that perfect present. Normally he took ages to find the perfect thing and, just when he was about to give up, something would hit him between the eyes and tell him it belonged to Sam. Now he probably had a couple of hours at most, depending on what time he managed to get away that night and he determined to leave early unless disaster befell the SGC. They could live without him for a while and so could his pile of paperwork, which was never ending anyway so a couple of hours here or there wouldn't make much of a dent. It was sooo worth it!

Meanwhile, Sam made her way to the mess to meet her team mates. Apprehension about her 'date' with Jack was already mounting and she hoped she could steady those nerves before he picked her up. There was so much she wanted to get out of spending that evening with him and she didn't want to screw it up. What was she doing? Was this the right thing? She didn't know but she knew that doing nothing was no longer an option.

Both of them spent the rest of the day with their head in the clouds, simultaneously dreading and looking forward to their arranged encounter. They both left early: Sam to spend ages getting ready so she looked just right, Jack to find the perfect thing for Sam's birthday.

He mentally trawled through his wardrobe, deciding on a suit and tie, which he knew would surprise her and at least catch her as wrong footed as he was likely to be. He'd already decided what to do about dinner and had organised it as soon as he got back to his office. If they were going to do this it had to be done properly.

Sam tore her wardrobe apart looking for the perfect thing to wear. As she didn't know where the General was taking her she found it hard to make a final decision but, eventually, she relaxed in the bath, getting out before her skin wrinkled, doing her hair and painting her face. Looking in the mirror she knew she had the result she desired. Even if she said so herself she looked pretty good and the General never saw her dressed up like this so was bound to be surprised -pleasantly she hoped.

Jack had difficulties finding Sam the perfect thing for her birthday. The one item he saw that spoke 'Sam' to him was something he should never give her. He bought it anyway because he knew she'd love it even though he might never pluck up the courage to give it to her. He decided to put it to one side, just in case; one never knows about these things. Was something about to change for both of them?

He pondered that, hopeful that it might, although it hardly seemed credible. She was engaged to another man and Jack was still her CO. In that respect, life went on as before. But he recalled the look in her eyes, glimpsed fleetingly. It meant something, he was sure of it.

Jack turned up on her doorstep right on time, she noted. They silently stared at each other, mutually stunned by their appearance. Sam thought Jack looked dazzling in his suit; she'd never seen him wear anything but a uniform or casual clothes. Jack was bowled over by the apparition in front of him. She wore a short black evening dress that showed her wonderful long legs to their advantage. Her hair was especially coiffed, and she was wearing make up in a way he'd never seen her wear it before.

'God you look all woman Sam. Beautiful,' he thought, while out of his lips came a low, "Wow!" Sam smiled a response and he coughed to cover his unease.

"Happy birthday Sam. I'm sorry these aren't more original."

She has been so bowled over by his appearance that it was only then she noticed the bottle of champagne he held in one hand. In the other sat a single red rose, which he handed to her, a shy smile on his lips.

She was stunned by the rose, which she figured was better than all the bunches of roses anyone could ever give her, and so entirely not like Jack. She'd never seen Jack as a giving flowers kind of man and, normally, he probably wasn't, but it made her ponder about how well she knew this enigmatic man. It was a romantic gesture but she was not sure it was intended that way. It was her birthday, after all, not a date, and a birthday gift, not an overture to love.

"Thank you Sir." She held the rose to her nose and sniffed the scent, "Should I
wear it?"

Sam smiled, vibrantly, and Jack's heartbeat quickened a notch. It was a little like picking up your date for the high School prom; exhilarating and terrifying in almost equal measure. He had to remind himself that this wasn't a date. It was Sam's birthday, that's all. He was just seeing a friend on her birthday, like he would any other friend; Daniel for example. Crap! Who was he kidding? To cover his discomfort he passed her the bottle.

"Do you want to wear it?" he managed to reply.

"No. I want to keep it fresh as long as possible. Do you want to come in for a moment while I find a vase?" He entered the house. "I hope I'm not over dressed." She added.

"No Sam. You're perfect."

"I am?"

"Always." He said the word so quietly that she might not have heard if she hadn't been concentrating on him.

"What?" She asked.

"Oh. Did I say that aloud?" For the second time that day his cheeks colored.

"Yes."

"Then I guess I meant it."

He didn't take his eyes off her and she stepped a little closer, putting the rose and bottle down on a table nearby without breaking the spell.

"I'd like it if you did," she said by way of encouragement.

"You would?" he looked surprised, and pleased.

She said nothing but her stance and expression confirmed it. Jack closed the gap between them, his fingers reaching up to stroke her hair. He was not going to miss another opportunity because it might well be his last.

Sam sighed and closed her eyes at his touch, placing her own hand on his against her face. She turned her head, lightly kissing his palm, and Jack gasped, taking the chance to touch his lips to hers, his heart beating erratically. She opened her eyes and looked into his dark brown depths, moving her hand to lightly touch his face and making it starkly apparent that she wanted more.

Jack took the hint and kissed her again, this time properly, pulling her close and parting her lips with his tongue. Afterwards Sam looked at him for a moment, needing to pull herself together. 'My, this man is sexy!' she thought, firmly believing that he oozed sex appeal from every pore. She wanted to strip him naked and have wild and passionate sex with him. To stop herself from taking it further she withdrew from his arms and picked up the rose.

"I must find a vase. Roses fade all too quickly."

"I'm sorry I didn't find the perfect thing Sam." Jack was reeling from her withdrawal, suddenly unsure of where he stood, and referring back to the birthday present was the only thing he could think of to say at that moment. Sam turned back to face him, taking his hand in hers.

"But you did, Jack - you. You're the perfect thing."

She kissed him again and their world changed forever.

The End