samandjack.net

Story Notes: Never Alone 37: Sequel/Series Info: Sequel to "Never Alone Part 36: Cassie's Crisis"

Status: Continuing series.

Author's Note: Many thanks to ImmerRDA for beta reading this story and pointing out the errors of my ways, my crazy use of UK English, and a couple of inspirations. Any remaining errors are entirely my own. Thanks also to all of those people who have been patient waiting for various chapters of this series to be posted, and continue reading it despite the sometimes long gaps between postings.


Never Alone 37: Time for Teal'c


Teal'c frowned, looking himself over in the mirror and then turning toward Daniel Jackson with a grimace. Daniel suppressed a snort of amusement at the expression on the Jaffa's face, coughing into his hand to hide his smirk.

"This is most uncomfortable, Daniel Jackson," Teal'c said disgustedly, pulling at the tie around his neck and then at the buttons on his vest.

This coming from a man who had spent more than half his life dressed up in Jaffa armor? Daniel coughed again, wanting to laugh. He had to admit that Teal'c looked ill at ease. The notion of his friend dressed in a tux had not been nearly as funny, or disturbing, as the reality of witnessing him trying one on. He figured if only Teal'c could stop moving around as if he had ants in his pants, the warrior might look quite elegant.

This would be Teal'c's first traditional style Tauri wedding and he kept insisting he wanted to follow correct Tauri custom, which included his attire. Daniel suspected the big guy was still reeling from the notion that no animal sacrifices were required on the auspicious occasion of his friends' nuptials.

Earth has its own rituals, most of which don't faintly resemble those of his Jaffa brethren. Not in the West leastwise. Adjustment was hard for Teal'c even after all the years he'd been on Earth. He had never lived a normal life on his adopted planet and could pick up some weird notions from watching so much TV too, which made the adjustments that much harder.

The younger man thought his friend had done a good job in the circumstances and admired him for that. Daniel adapted to life on Abydos, but it had taken some time. However, he had lived amongst the people of Abydos and been married to one of them. Unlike Teal'c, he had not been restricted to a military base underneath a mountain most of the time. That was not in any way what Daniel would consider as normality, quite the reverse.

Unfortunately, Teal'c's one and only venture in living a regular life on Earth had turned into a disaster. He was not safe outside of the mountain when an organization like the Trust was running around, and the security issues had put an end to that little foray into normalness. Jack had tried his darnedest, but was overruled. Despite his high hopes for his Jaffa friend, even Jack had seen the sense of Teal'c's forced return to Cheyenne Mountain in the end; although he was disappointed and saddened it had to be like that.

Daniel could not help thinking Teal'c would never be able to live a normal life on Earth. Nor would he ever look quite right in the tux with that large gold tattoo stamped on his forehead. However, Sam was right in saying they couldn't except the man to wear a hat or a headband throughout the wedding and reception. It would look incongruous and would probably attract more attention than the tattoo.

Teal'c's friends had given some thought to how they would deal with his situation, particularly the tattoo, at the wedding. The four former team mates had discussed it in a vague kind of way on Jack's last trip to Colorado.

They had been chatting amiably in Sam's living room, their Chinese take-out due to arrive imminently. The TV hummed and flickered in the background waiting for the gathered friends to occupy the vacant slot in the DVD player with the movie they had agreed to watch that night. Daniel and Teal'c were comfortably ensconced in two of Sam's armchairs, while the bride and groom to be were sitting closely together on the couch. Jack had his arm draped around Sam's shoulders, while she cupped one of her hands over his on his lower thigh.

Teal'c asked a perfectly innocent question about suitable clothing for the wedding and this started the debate about how they might hide his tattoo.

"I know," Jack started jauntily, "we could wrap your head in bandages and tell people you've been in an accident."

Sam suppressed a laugh and was pleased she had when she noticed the look Teal'c shot at her fiance, who winced at the Jaffa warrior's responding glare. That kind of glower could strip paint off a wall.

Daniel waded in, unmindful of Teal'c's censure. "How about coming as an African friend of Jack's? People will think it's an obscure tribal thing," he suggested.

Teal'c eyed him balefully, although he realized Daniel was quite serious and genuine, unlike his friend O'Neill, who did not seem to treat the situation with the seriousness he thought it deserved.

"Yeah, you could wear Jaffa robes and people would think it a traditional costume," Jack said, freeing his hand from under Sam's. He reached forward to pick up his beer from the coffee table to take a long sip.

"It is a traditional costume," Teal'c replied in an acerbic manner.

"Not anywhere on this planet!" Jack retorted drolly.

Teal'c pointedly ignored his friend's dry wit. "I wish to follow Tauri tradition."

"Who the hell would ever choose to wear a suit?" the ever sarcastic Jack responded.

"And a tuxedo come to that," Daniel inserted.

"Even worse," Jack agreed.

"Daniel Jackson is wearing one, is he not? Why not I?"

"Teal'c, you'll hate a suit. You'd have to wear a tie and everything." Jack scowled. He'd wear jeans and a t-shirt if he could get away with it, but of course, he could not. "Wish I could wear Jaffa robes," he whined.

"I believe Colonel Carter would not approve," Teal'c said with a serious expression and Sam grinned, winking at him. She had made herself content with watching the three way ping pong match and was fairly certain Teal'c's reaction was slightly tongue in cheek. Catching her wink, Teal'c bowed his head almost imperceptibly, as if he was concurring with her conclusion.

Jack, meanwhile, couldn't decide if Teal'c was making fun of them or not. "Just kidding, T!" He turned toward Sam. "I am, honest!" he added, as if she had commented. Sam said nothing, merely smiling as if she had a secret he did not know, which baffled him.

"You have always possessed a most peculiar sense of humor, O'Neill. Singular, one might say," commented Teal'c.

Jack and Daniel exchanged amused glances, suppressing a laugh. Neither of them was at all sure that a Jaffa had any right to comment about human humor. Jaffa were not exactly famous for their sense of humor, although Teal'c had changed a lot during his years on Earth. He appreciated many human behaviors that he previously had not, including humor. Jeez, these days the man even cracked smiles without them appearing to be menacing. He looked human, but there was always that huge honkin' tattoo. It's the kind of thing that makes a guy stand out in a crowd.

"Pot and kettle," Jack retorted in amused self-defense. Teal'c merely arched an eyebrow, deciding to say nothing in response.

Thinking to get them some more drinks, and perhaps distract them from the subject at hand, Sam rose from the couch, approaching Teal'c with a smile and leaning over to kiss his forehead affectionately.

"Personally, I think you'll look great in a tux, Teal'c," she commented. "Hot, actually. And screw what people might think about the tattoo. Most of them will probably be too polite to say anything. We have a way more serious issue to contend with."

Having thrown that in out of the blue, the others waited for her to continue, but she didn't. "Drink anyone?" she asked instead, in her best chirpy tone.

"W-what do you mean a more serious issue?" Jack asked with concern, rising to the bait.

He had been thinking he hadn't realized how close Sam and Teal'c seemed to have grown, but Sam's throw away comment diverted him from the thought. Not that he was jealous or worried about it or anything, it was simply an observation, but he wondered how he had never really noticed it much before. O'Neill filed the notion away for future reference and concentrated on the current topic.

"Vala keeps hinting about being a bridesmaid and how wonderful that would be. Muttering comments about Earth customs and how we should let her participate in them more often," she explained.

A deadly silence descended and Sam eyed the men with amusement, trying to gauge their reactions. Teal'c raised his eyebrows in a gesture of faint surprise, although other than that he seemed as composed as ever. Daniel's mouth hung open and his wide eyes stared at her in horror. Jack, meanwhile, had a smirk on his face reminiscent of a naughty school boy caught in a mischievous thought. Sam loved that smirk, and was happy to have provoked it.

"Vala wants to be a bridesmaid?" Daniel asked as if he needed confirmation that his ears had not been deceiving him.

"I imagine she has raised the issue a number of times," Teal'c commented, a small smile appearing on his lips as if he remembered something, and probably he had. Vala could behave like a dog with a bone once she got her teeth into something.

"You've got that right, Teal'c," Sam agreed with rolling eyes, recalling the many times Vala had caught her alone to hint at it in her so very unsubtle way. "I'll leave you guys to ponder that one while I get drinks."

Having set the cat amongst the pigeons, she flounced out of the room with a wicked smile on her face. When she returned with a beer for Jack and cokes for the rest of them, the men were arguing the toss about Vala. Sam was pleased to have distracted them from the subject of Teal'c's tattoo. As she handed him his coke, the Jaffa looked up at her with a grateful smile and she winked at him again before joining Jack on the couch.

"If you give in to her you'll never hear the last of it," Daniel said to Sam with a frown.

"If I don't I won't either, so I can't win," she responded.

"You already have two adult bridesmaids, as well as your niece. Isn't that enough? Can't we tell her that three's the max or something?" Daniel asked, and Sam rolled that thought around in her mind, thinking they might just about manage to get away with such a ploy. Perhaps they could tell her people would frown upon the notion of four bridesmaids at the wedding of two people of her and Jack's age, although Sam did not really want to hurt Vala's feelings if she ever discovered the truth.

To be honest, Sam had absolutely no intention of allowing Vala to be a bridesmaid. She had simply used the subject to deflect the conversation away from Teal'c. She was not certain she would even invite her to the wedding at all, although wasn't sure she could, or even should, try to get away with that.

Vala had not been around at the SGC for that long but after all the crap she had been through with the Ori, however infuriating the woman could be, Sam had some sympathy with her. She had pulled their butts out of the fire more than once although, given what they knew about her background, each and every member of SG-1 had some doubts about her trustworthiness.

Sam did not yet consider the woman as a friend. Bridesmaids are meant to be friends, right? Or relatives, although Sam didn't have too many of them left. Her adopted family, compromised of the people sitting in her living room right now, along with Cassie, was closer to her than any of her blood kin.

Vala also had a knack of making trouble for them, not necessarily deliberately, but it often worked out that way. The last thing Sam needed at her wedding was Vala's kind of trouble.


Jack took her hand and leaned in to kiss her cheek. "I'm already visualizing the duct tape over her mouth," he whispered in a tone of sarcastic merriment, making Sam titter. No doubt, he was right about that. Vala was almost bound to put a foot in it, if not both of them. "But what do you think? It's your wedding, and they are your bridesmaids."

She smiled at him. "I might have chosen to have no bridesmaids at all if I hadn't known how disappointed Cassie and Betsy would have been."

"No bridesmaids at all?" he said with a look of surprise. "And I thought my future bride wanted the whole traditional wedding thing."

Sam squeezed his hand affectionately. "I guess I do, really, but arranging it all is a little bit like too much hard work. Mostly I just want to cut to the 'I dos'." Jack grinned shyly, amused that his workaholic wife to be considered the wedding arrangements hard work. Inwardly, he agreed with her sentiment about cutting to the chase. Both of them simply wanted to be man and wife. To some extent, the rest of it was theatre - an elaborate show. "I think I can live without Vala as a bridesmaid, though."

"That's settled then," he said, at which point the doorbell rang, signifying the arrival of their take-out, and the distraction of their chosen movie.

Later, on seeing their friends out, she briefly took Daniel to one side. "Can you take some time for Teal'c and help him with the tux?" she asked. Daniel nodded agreement, both amused and perturbed by the notion of taking Teal'c shopping for an appropriate rental.

"Sure, Sam," he agreed, removing a notebook from his pocket and jotting it down on the long list of reminders. Sam almost giggled, always amused by the fact he kept the notebook, and all the sticky notes she knew he had scattered around his house. "But what are we going to do about the tattoo?"

"You worry too much," she replied, squeezing his arm affectionately.

"About Vala."

"I told you, you worry too much. I'll handle her."

So, this was how Daniel came to be in the rental shop with Teal'c as he tried on suits. They were opting for similar tuxedos if possible, charcoal grey with vests in a lighter hue. With Jack's agreement, Sam had opted for this color preference. Daniel made a quip about the main wedding party looking like Confederates and Yankees, all dressed up in blue and grey.

Sam bit her lip to suppress a snort and eyed him with a Teal'c like glare, promptly putting him in his place. Then she retorted that the Confederate Army wore light rather than charcoal grey uniforms. He declined to comment further, and she leaned into his ear to reveal she thought he would look fantastic in a grey tux.

Blushing to the roots of his hair, he stammered an inane response about grey sooo being his color. Sam grinned, pecking him on the cheek, and he realized she had been making fun of him with that fierce look.

Daniel had to admit that, although his Jaffa friend looked uncomfortable, the notion of Teal'c wearing the tux had grown on him since he had seen him wearing one. He was beginning to think his friend looked pretty cool.

When they had arrived, the sales assistant seemed slightly bemused, if not shaken, by the large, muscular and slightly threatening looking Jaffa. Daniel thought he probably believed Teal'c more suited to rapper style clothing, gold chains and all. The archeologist could not help but imagine Teal'c in that get up, which tickled his funny bone somewhat.

This reaction had the advantage of making the diminutive, effeminate salesman play avoidance. Instead of scurrying around making a fuss like he might have if Daniel had been alone, he mainly left the two men to their own devices. Occasionally he popped into the changing rooms to find out if they had made any decisions, and take them different suits to try. So far, they had tried on half a dozen and seemed to be no closer to making a decision.

"Jack should probably be here," Daniel said. "Doesn't he want any say in what his best man is going to wear?"

The comment distracted Teal'c from his discomfort and he eyed Daniel fondly. "You are nervous about the forthcoming nuptials, Daniel Jackson?" he asked.

"No, no, not nervous," Daniel replied with a frown, sighing. "Well, maybe a little."

"I have offered my assistance. What do you require?"

Teal'c rather liked the look of this particular suit and wondered if Daniel had any thoughts. He might feel slightly uncomfortable, but he would probably get used to wearing such attire. Teal'c had suffered many worse things in his life and simply wanted to ensure the wedding of his two friends went smoothly. He desired to do his best to fit in and keep his friends O'Neill and Samantha happy.

Daniel chuckled, some earlier thoughts coming to mind. "Think you could sneak a zat out of the SGC?" he asked humorously. Not having been privy to Daniel's thoughts around Jack's increasingly nervous disposition as the day drew closer, Teal'c did not get the joke and looked slightly puzzled.

"A Zat'n'ktel?" he queried curiously, wondering why Daniel would want such a weapon at a wedding. "Will the guests be armed, Daniel Jackson?"

"Oh, just kidding, Teal'c," Daniel replied, trying not to laugh. "I figured Jack might get a bit edgy and I could probably do with some help to control his jitters."

"A zat might indeed be the answer," Teal'c said with a small smirk, and the two men chuckled in contemplation. Sitting down to try out the tux in that position, Teal'c shuffled a little in the chair, trying to get more comfy. "I will be there in case my services are required," he promised, "but if there is anything else."

"Thanks, old buddy," Daniel said in genuine appreciation of the offer. Perhaps he could find some suitable tasks for Teal'c and he decided to ponder the offer with the aid of his little notebook as a reminder of what still needed organization or completion. "I'll let you know, but helping me deal with Jack at his bachelor party and leading up to the wedding will be a great help."

Teal'c bowed his head in acknowledgement. "Do you believe O'Neill and Samantha are happy together?" he asked and Daniel shot him a surprised glance.

"Sure they are. They're going make a great team, Teal'c. Can't you tell?"

Not wanting to reveal his concerns, which sprang from Sam's confidences in him when the pair was going through a difficult time, Teal'c smiled.

"I have no doubt you are correct, Daniel Jackson."

"But you asked. You must have a reason." His eyebrows furrowed together with a look of concern and curiosity.

"Tauri behavior is difficult to fathom," Teal'c relied mysteriously, hoping the comment was sufficient to steer Daniel away and wishing he had never asked. He simply needed some confirmation of his own thoughts and had no desire to confide in the younger man.

Colonel Carter herself had reassured him that everything was fine between them, but he had not been certain whether she was hiding something. Teal'c knew she might have been concerned about his reaction to O'Neill when they met for the first time since her confession about her fiance's abhorrent behavior toward her many weeks before.

When Teal'c arrived at her house for their last team film and take-out night, he had to admit it had crossed his mind to have some quiet words with O'Neill about what she had revealed - perhaps a warning about the unpleasant consequences should he hear his friend mistreated Colonel Carter in any way.


However, Teal'c could not imagine this happening. Indeed, he had been surprised his friend O'Neill had hurt her feelings in such a way as this was not like him. Even while Samantha and he had discussed the matter, they had both agreed what had happened in Chicago was an aberration and that she could trust O'Neill. Nevertheless, he had continued to ponder and be concerned, ready to defend her honor if necessary.

O'Neill might be his friend too, but he had wronged Samantha and Teal'c felt he should not have allowed O'Neill to get away with that. He had only done so at her request, demurring to her inclination toward forgiveness. If she wronged O'Neill, he might feel similarly defensive; although he had no doubt he would stop short of the physical violence he felt O'Neill had probably deserved.

So, when he arrived at her house with Daniel Jackson, he was ready to confront O'Neill if necessary, despite knowing Sam's feelings about the matter. As they had not spoken privately about the subject of late, he had decided to ask if he got a chance to speak to her alone.

As luck would have it, she answered the door and Daniel bounded on ahead to join Jack in the living room, leaving the pair alone. Teal'c bowed low to Sam, a gesture of respect and, when he raised his head, took her hand and kissed it, a smile on his face.

"Good to see you too, Teal'c," Sam said, returning his smile with a broad grin.

"You are well, Samantha?" he asked as if he did not see her virtually every day. Teal'c's use of her first name when they had moments alone was getting to be something of a habit, and Sam kind of liked it. There seemed to be a secret pact between them, something special.

"I'm very well, thank you Teal'c. Come!" Ushering him in, Sam took his arm in hers and led him along the hall. "So," she whispered conspiratorially, "am I marrying the wrong guy?" She winked.

"Indeed," he replied, his smile mocking, "But I gave up trying to win your heart many years ago, Samantha. It was already taken."

She paused in her stride and he stopped alongside her, turning to search her face for any clues. "That's nice, Teal'c," she said with a smile.

Given the opportunity, he bit the bullet straightaway. "You have not visited me in my quarters for a considerable time, Samantha. Are things well between you and O'Neill?"

Taken aback by his bluntness, she nodded, grateful for his concern and squeezing his arm affectionately. Sam understood what had inspired both his unease and the question.

"We're great Teal'c. We are, really." Uncertain whether those words were truly reassuring as they sounded a little like one of Jack's "I'm fine" type utterances, which often begged more questions, she pressed on. "We've talked, sorted everything out. I should have come to see you, told you."

"Indeed," he concurred. "I have been reluctant to raise the matter."

"I'm sorry. The wedding arrangements have taken up so much of my spare time, and I don't get much of that anyway."

"I am aware," he replied, not wishing her to feel guilty when he knew she already had a lot on her mind. Tauri weddings seemed to Teal'c to be unnecessarily complicated, but he accepted such custom with sanguinity.

"I'll drop by to your room to see you soon, I swear. We'll talk."

"Or not."

Sam grinned at his response. They had spent many an hour in his room saying very little. Frequently, simply being in the company of the stoic but comforting Jaffa warrior was enough.

"Don't worry about us, Teal'c," she said. "I'm happy. We both are. After we went to Chicago together. we've been good. Very good. So, this isn't a mistake, I promise. He has his faults, but Jack is one of the best things that ever happened to me. I love him and I know he loves me very much. His heart is true."

"Your feelings about the matter are in accord with what I believe at heart, Samantha, and I will satisfy myself with that for now," he responded with an inclination of his head. "We should join the others before they wonder what has become of us."

"Indeed," she said in one of her impersonations of his tone and he smiled warmly, encouraged by her attitude.

Teal'c's observations of the couple that night had confirmed his thoughts, and her reassurances about the strength of their relationship. They had, indeed, seemed happy with each other, small gestures of their togetherness, faith and love very apparent in their behavior.

He was of the opinion that the pair could weather many storms because they had already borne so much side by side, albeit that the relationship was not one of a CO and subordinate anymore; far from it. The pair had faced death and worse, challenged it together and won the battles. Those years of supporting each other and deep mutual trust had served to bring them closer.


Nevertheless, Teal'c was grateful for confirmation of his thoughts from a third party. Noting Daniel's furrowed brow and look of concern, he decided to deflect him further from the subject.

"I believe this attire will suffice, Daniel Jackson," he claimed and Daniel regarded his friend, looking him up and down. He appeared way more relaxed and comfortable than he had earlier. After all his concerns about choosing a tux with Teal'c, Daniel was pleased he had set some time aside to help his friend - so worth it.

Patting the big Jaffa on the shoulder, Daniel smiled and nodded his head in agreement. "So do I, Teal'c, so do I."

TE