samandjack.net

Story Notes: His and Hers 13: SPOILER: none

SERIES: 13th story in 'His and Hers' www.geocities.com/bluetopazfic/index#hah

Note: Thanks for everyone who reviewed the stories so far. I have so much fun writing it. And also to Sandra who beta-read this.

--------------------------------------------------
URL of this story (for better formatting):
www.geocities.com/bluetopazfic/hisandhers13.htm
--------------------------------------------------


*Wednesday, 23 July 2003*



11.48 : Jack O'Neill

Carter, are you the crazy person who requested to postpone our departure time for our next mission? I've already asked Daniel, he said it wasn't him. And I'm pretty sure it wasn't me or Teal'c either.



11.49 : Sam Carter

Me? Crazy person? Are you sure?



11.49 : Jack O'Neill

Tell me then, who in their right mind would want to go to another planet at 00.00?



11.49 : Sam Carter

People who actually calculate the time difference between two planets?



11.49 : Jack O'Neill

Oh. Right. Yes. Sorry. I forgot about that little fact.



11.50 : Sam Carter

Don't mention it.

Hey, what about the 'crazy' part?



11.50 : Jack O'Neill

Yes, I take that back too. Happy now?



11.50 : Sam Carter

Thank you.



11.50 : Jack O'Neill

Hey, wanna have lunch together?



11.51 : Sam Carter

I'll meet you at the commissary in fifteen minutes.



11.51 : Jack O'Neill

See you there.



***



13.16 : Sam Carter

Sir, the General is looking for us. He wants us in his office at 14.00.



13.16 : Jack O'Neill

OK. Do you know what this is all about?



13.17 : Sam Carter

I don't know. I just got my memo a few minutes ago. I reckon I should let you know since I'm quite sure that this particular memo will suffer the same fate as your other memos.



13.17 : Jack O'Neill

What is that supposed to mean?



13.17 : Sam Carter

Before I dignify that question with my answer, can you answer just this one tiny little question?



13.17 : Jack O'Neill

Knock yourself out.



13.17 : Sam Carter

When is the last time you ever read any of your memos? Or received them for that matter?



13.17 : Jack O'Neill

I was digging my own grave by asking you that question, wasn't I?



13.17 : Sam Carter

You said it, Sir. Not me.



13.18 : Jack O'Neill

Anyway, thank you for letting me know about this. I'll see you at the General's office at 14.00.



13.18 : Sam Carter

You're welcome. I'll see you there.



***



14.59 : Jack O'Neill

So ...



14.59 : Sam Carter

So ...



14.59 : Jack O'Neill

This is it then.



15.00 : Sam Carter

I guess so. This is it.



15.00 : Jack O'Neill

I guess we underestimated Hammond. He got those stars for a reason.



15.00 : Sam Carter

Well, I guess it can't be helped. After all, we weren't being too secretive with it. And he knew about the existence of this journal all along, the only one else who knew excluding us. Let's face it, Sir. We did abuse this journal a bit. We used our Palm during briefings twice, in his presence. He was bound to do something about it.

Besides, I bet that Daniel already knew about this. Or had an inkling. Teal'c and Janet too. They've been asking some questions about our 'odd' behavior lately.



15.00 : Jack O'Neill

Odd, huh? I don't mind being odd.



15.00 : Sam Carter

Neither do I.



15.00 : Jack O'Neill

I don't know what to say, really.



15.00 : Sam Carter

Me either. Goodbye sucks.



15.01 : Jack O'Neill

We still have till the end of this week, right?



15.01 : Sam Carter

Yes. That's the deadline that the General gave us. Luckily for us, he never did order us to end this when the first week was over, thus he didn't even reprimand us.



15.01 : Jack O'Neill

No, he didn't. He just told us delicately not to waste the taxpayers' money and do our job.

George is a generous man. A good man.



15.01 : Sam Carter

He is.



15.01 : Jack O'Neill

Right. I don't want to spend these last moments depressed over something. Let's just take full advantage of it.



15.01 : Sam Carter

Sir?



15.01 : Jack O'Neill

Let's bring our Palms on our mission tomorrow. Or tonight. Whichever you prefer to call it.



15.01 : Sam Carter

Bring them on the mission? Are you serious? Isn't that pushing it a little bit too far?



15.02 : Jack O'Neill

Yes. Why not? If these four days are going to be our last days, I want to spend as much time as possible with you.



15.02 : Sam Carter

Colonel, take a deep breath. You're talking like we were about to die or something.



15.02 : Jack O'Neill

You're right, I might be overreacting a bit. But I still want to bring them on the mission. I want to know how it'll feel like to do just that. I might never have the chance to do it again.



15.02 : Sam Carter

Are you sure about this? This is the kind of thing that made the General want us to end this journal.



15.02 : Jack O'Neill

Come on, Carter, be adventurous! Let your hair down for once. And don't think about what Hammond wants, think about what YOU want.

PS: If it'll make you feel better, I could order you to do it.



15.02 : Sam Carter

Let me think about it for a while.

PS: Can you actually do that? I don't think so.



15.02 : Jack O'Neill

You know you want to. You said that you wanted to test how powerful the communication device in our Palms you reverse engineered from the Tok'ra is. See, this is the perfect opportunity for that.

PS: Nothing is impossible if you try hard enough.



15.02 : Sam Carter

You've been listening to what I've been saying? Science wise?

PS: Let me guess, O'Neill fourth lesson in life?



15.03 : Jack O'Neill

Oy, you don't have to sound so shocked. I have some interest in your research. Something other than big honking space guns. Communication is important, it could be used to help us. It's very crucial in planning military tactics or strategies.

PS: Of course not, that's the seventh ... or maybe the eighth. Can't remember for sure. My fourth is: Have fun, life is too short.



15.03 : Sam Carter

You know what? As a reward of actually listening to my science blabbering (as you once adequately called it), I'll do it.

PS: Just how many lessons in life do the O'Neills have?



15.03 : Jack O'Neill

That's the spirit.

This way, we could spy on Griff more easily.

PS: As many as possible.



15.03 : Sam Carter

Huh? You never said anything about spying on Major Griff.



15.03 : Jack O'Neill

Carter, he had a crush on one of the alien girls, do you know what this means?



15.03 : Sam Carter

That you won't let him have the girl because it was supposed to be your forte? And if you can't have the girl, no one can?

May I say for the record that if you said 'yes', I would likely reply with: 'That is so selfish of you, Sir.'



15.03 : Jack O'Neill

No, smart-ass. This means that we could make him the newest source for the SGC rumor mill. I got tired of people stopping me on my way or interrupting my lunch and asking me about your love life with Felger (why are they're asking me anyway? Why not Daniel? Or Teal'c? Or you?). And yes, you heard me right. According to them, this is the latest development that I've heard this morning: you two were fighting because you refused to back down and become a housewife after the two of you get married. Someone heard him complaining to his assistant Chloe that's why you postponing the wedding.



***



15.06 : Jack O'Neill

You OK? You haven't replied to the last entry.



15.06 : Sam Carter

In time I'll be OK. I guess. To be honest, that one creeps me out. How could they come out with something like that? Those people really have too much free time on their hands. Do you think I could ask General Hammond to add to their workload a bit?



15.06 : Jack O'Neill

And make them hate you?



15.07 : Sam Carter

Well, I was thinking along the line of YOU asking General. They hate you already, so I don't think it'll make that much of a difference.



15.07 : Jack O'Neill

And what's in it for me if I do this little favor for you?



15.07 : Sam Carter

I'll help you spy on Griff.



15.07 : Jack O'Neill

Er ... didn't you read what I wrote earlier? We do this so that the whole you and Felger thing becomes yesterday's news. This is as much for you as it is for me.



15.07 : Sam Carter

Yes, but I don't really care about the rumors anyway. For all I care, they can say that I'm a freak. You on the other hand, you want to get back at him because you know that he takes my 'Manipulating Colonel O'Neill 101' class.



15.07 : Jack O'Neill

You don't care about the rumors? So, why do you want to get back at these people who spread the rumors then?



15.07 : Sam Carter

Because I believe that they could do more productive things with their time.



15.07 : Jack O'Neill

Nice try, Carter. But I'm no fool. You can't trick me like that.



15.08 : Sam Carter

Can't blame a girl for trying.

All right then, what if I cook something for you on Saturday? We could go shopping for the SGC's BBQ party and then have dinner at my house afterwards.



15.08 : Jack O'Neill

Really?



15.08 : Sam Carter

Yes, really. I might not be a great cook, but I can cook a decent meal.



15.08 : Jack O'Neill

If you let me bring the wine, then it's a deal.



15.08 : Sam Carter

Great. I'll see you later then, Sir. I'm going to take a nap, I'll need it for our mission.



15.08 : Jack O'Neill

Alright, I'll let you get some beauty sleep.



15.08 : Sam Carter

Bye.



***



19.25 : Jack O'Neill

Carter, are you awake?



19.25 : Sam Carter

I am now. Is there something wrong, Sir?



19.25 : Jack O'Neill

Whoops, sorry to wake you up. But this is rather important. We've just received a transmission from the Tok'ra. Your Dad and my stalker are going to join us to P87 B67. They'll be here in about half an hour. I thought you'd want to welcome him in the Gateroom.



19.26 : Sam Carter

Dad's coming with us? That's great. And thanks for letting me know. I'll freshen up a bit and meet you in the Gateroom in fifteen minutes.



19.26 : Jack O'Neill

Uh, Carter, I don't know if you're completely awake or still half-asleep right now, but did you just read what I wrote? There is no way that I'm going to be anywhere near the Gateroom for at least an hour.



19.26 : Sam Carter

Yes, Dad is coming. I thought you liked him. You always greet him every time he comes here. What's wrong with today?



19.26 : Jack O'Neill

You're still half-asleep then. Scroll up a bit and read who's coming with him.



19.26 : Sam Carter

Oh my.



19.26 : Jack O'Neill

Oh my indeed.



19.27 : Sam Carter

More reason for you to be in the Gateroom then.



19.27 : Jack O'Neill

Go drink a cup of coffee, then we'll talk again. You know, I've never noticed up until now that you're not that sharp when you're half-asleep.



19.27 : Sam Carter

But we made a pact that we'd stay together for better or worse when she's around, didn't we? You haven't forgotten about that already, have you?



19.27 : Jack O'Neill

It was so last week. It's no longer valid.



19.27 : Sam Carter

All right then, if she somehow puts her moves on you while we're on the planet, don't coming running to me for help, OK?



19.27 : Jack O'Neill

Damn.

OK, OK. I'll see you in the Gateroom then.



19.27 : Sam Carter

Thank you, Sir. You're so kind.



19.27 : Jack O'Neill

Kind, my ass.

Is this the kind of manipulation that you teach in your class?



19.27 : Sam Carter

One of many, yes.



19.28 : Jack O'Neill

I want the list of all the people who have taken this class.



19.28 : Sam Carter

Sorry Sir, but I can't do that. The contract clearly said that I have to protect the anonymous status of my students.



19.28 : Jack O'Neill

Oh, you protect them, huh? What about me? Why didn't you protect me? Instead you exploited me to the whole world.



19.28 : Sam Carter

Because you can take everything that I dish out, Sir. You don't need protection. Besides, even though they have the knowledge, only one or two are brave enough to put it in practice.



19.28 : Jack O'Neill

You know what? I do need protection. From you.



19.28 : Sam Carter

Come on, Colonel. I'm not that bad. Am I?



19.28 : Jack O'Neill

That is what I classify as a rhetorical question. I'll see you in the Gateroom, Carter.



19.29 : Sam Carter

See you there.



***



23.13 : Jack O'Neill

Carter, just saw your Dad in the General's office. Where are you now?



23.14 : Sam Carter

In my quarters, Sir, getting ready for the mission.



23.14 : Jack O'Neill

Oh all right. I just wanted to ask why your Dad wants to accompany us on this mission? Not that I mind, of course. Jacob is always welcome here. I'm just curious.



23.14 : Sam Carter

It has something to do with the writing that we found there. Dad said that Selmac recognized it as an ancient secret code of the Tok'ra. They no longer use it. At present, only a few are still able to read it.



23.14 : Jack O'Neill

Tok'ra version of Morse?



23.14 : Sam Carter

I guess you could put it that way. He just wants to know more about the Tok'ra that are responsible for the code there by asking questions about the history of the planet.



23.14 : Jack O'Neill

Can't he ask Daniel to do that for him? And why did THAT snakehead come with him? What's her part in this?



23.14 : Sam Carter

Daniel can't read the code, Sir. Only Selmac can. And Anise is here because Dad thinks that the code mentions something about a machine of some sort. She's here in case we find it.



23.14 : Jack O'Neill

Well, we have you for that, don't we?



23.14 : Sam Carter

Would you drop the questions if I told you that she's here because she wants to have another go at you?



23.14 : Jack O'Neill

Carter! Watch that mouth of yours.



23.15 : Sam Carter

Watching it, Sir.



23.15 : Jack O'Neill

All I'm asking for is some respect from you. Is that too much to ask?



23.15 : Sam Carter

Now, THAT is what I call a rhetorical question.



23.15 : Jack O'Neill

I'm really gonna miss this when this week ends.



23.15 : Sam Carter

Me too.



23.15 : Jack O'Neill

Ok, you go back to your packing. Make sure that you get everything that you need.



23.15 : Sam Carter

I will.



23.16 : Jack O'Neill

See you in the Gateroom.



23.16 : Sam Carter

See you there.



***