samandjack.net

Story Notes: His and Hers 14: SPOILER: none

SERIES: 14th story in 'His and Hers' www.geocities.com/bluetopazfic/index#hah

Note: I'm overwhelmed by all the reactions that I received since I announced that the series will end. It took me by surprise that people do care about this series that much. Thank you for all the encouragement, I'll try to make the end as painless as possible. And that's a promise ;). Thanks to Sandra who beta-read this part.

--------------------------------------------------
URL of this story (for better formatting):
www.geocities.com/bluetopazfic/hisandhers14.htm
--------------------------------------------------


*Thursday, 24 July 2003*



03.12 : Jack O'Neill

Carter, are you there?



03.14 : Sam Carter

I'm with my Dad at the moment. I'll get back to you later.



03.14 : Jack O'Neill

Copy that. Get back to me as soon as you ditch your Dad.



03.14 : Sam Carter

Hey!



***



03.58 : Sam Carter

Dad is talking to Prefect Tren right now. What's up?



03.59 : Jack O'Neill

Can you meet me at the entrance of the town hall? You don't have anything else to do, do you?



03.59 : Sam Carter

Sure.

Oh yeah, why aren't you using your radio? It's easier that way. And may I ask what you want me there for?



03.59 : Jack O'Neill

And let the whole SGC contingent know what we're up to? That will defeat the purpose of our mission. And as for what, I'll let you know once you're here.



03.59 : Sam Carter

This is a mission? I'll be there in half an hour. Just let me tell Dad that I'm going first.



04.00 : Jack O'Neill

Copy that.



***



04.47 : Sam Carter

How did you get all this stuff? And dare I ask how did you smuggle it here?



04.47 : Jack O'Neill

'Smuggle' is such a strong word to use. I might not have permission to bring it over here, but there are no regulations that prohibit us to do just that.



04.47 : Sam Carter

Whatever.



04.48 : Jack O'Neill

Are you in place yet?



04.48 : Sam Carter

Yes. I can see them from up here. By the way, why don't you do this by yourself? Why do you want me to do this?



04.48 : Jack O'Neill

Because I need to be present down here, setting up an alibi, in case Griff notices something is off. Don't you know that he has some kind of sixth sense when someone is watching him? This way, he won't suspect me. And for all he knows, you're with your Dad.



04.48 : Sam Carter

In other words, you want me to do your dirty work.



04.48 : Jack O'Neill

Would it make you feel better if I don't deny that?



04.48 : Sam Carter

I guess not.



04.48 : Jack O'Neill

So, what do you see?



04.48 : Sam Carter

Griff and Prefect Dhita are walking side by side in the garden.



04.48 : Jack O'Neill

I know that. Have you got the reception from the bug that I planted in his hat? Hear anything interesting?



04.49 : Sam Carter

No, I'm still setting up the equipment. Give me ten minutes. It should be ready by then.

PS: Why are we're doing this again? I feel like I'm intruding on his privacy. And he really has to start not trusting you as much as he does right now. How did you plant that bug in his hat anyway?



04.49 : Jack O'Neill

Serves him right. He lost all his privacy from the moment he agreed to join your class. Unlike the others, he had the balls to put it into practice. And we BOTH know that, so crush your guilt and do your job.

As for the bug, it's for me to know and for you to find out.



04.49 : Sam Carter

I'm only doing this to humor you.

And for your own safety (or sanity, your pick), I hope you'll never do to me what you're doing to him.



04.49 : Jack O'Neill

That OK. I'm not picky, really.

And don't worry about my safety, Carter. I have other methods to get my way with you. And they are more fun too.



04.49 : Sam Carter

Don't tell me. I don't want to be overly paranoid every time you're around me.



04.50 : Jack O'Neill

Your wish is my command.



***



04.56 : Sam Carter

I've got the audio.



04.56 : Jack O'Neill

OK. Do you hear anything interesting?



04.56 : Sam Carter

Like what?



04.56 : Jack O'Neill

Carter ...



04.57 : Sam Carter

Not yet, Sir. They're just talking about the weather and stuff. Oh, and they're also talking about the differences between our world and hers.



04.57 : Jack O'Neill

Boring.

Man, he needs some lesson in pick-up lines.



04.57 : Sam Carter

He doesn't need any, Sir. Women often find some pick-up lines to be corny. And as proof, I can tell you that they seem to be having a great time. Lots of smiles and blushes.



04.57 : Jack O'Neill

Blushes? Who's blushing?



04.57 : Sam Carter

Both.



04.57 : Jack O'Neill

Griff blushes? I don't have to tell you to get a picture of that, do I?



04.57 : Sam Carter

Sir, I may be reluctant to do this, but I'm not stupid. I've got 4 or 5 shots already.



04.57 : Jack O'Neill

Good girl. Keep me posted.



04.57 : Sam Carter

Will do.



***



05.31 : Sam Carter

Sir, I need to go back to my Dad now. Nothing too big happening down there. He is just being invited to a dinner at her house tonight.



05.32 : Jack O'Neill

A date? And you said that nothing big was happening?



05.32 : Sam Carter

Yes, it's nothing big. He likes her, and she definitely likes him. It's only natural for her to invite him to dinner. It's no big deal.



05.32 : Jack O'Neill

Carter, don't you have a single romantic bone in your body?



05.32 : Sam Carter

I'm just being rational. Griff will be a perfect gentleman tonight. He won't break regulations. Thus, nothing interesting (that will send you to your gutter heaven) will happen.



05.32 : Jack O'Neill

That's not the way to talk to your CO.



05.32 : Sam Carter

Well, the thing is, my CO made me do his dirty work. So, I think it's only fair to talk to him that way.



05.32 : Jack O'Neill

Point taken. I still need the details for his date tonight, though.



05.32 : Sam Carter

After sunset. It's around 11.00 our time.



05.32 : Jack O'Neill

Sweet. I'll meet you in the city centre at 10.00.



05.32 : Sam Carter

Why?



05.33 : Jack O'Neill

To spy on Griff, of course.



05.33 : Sam Carter

Why can't we just leave him alone now, Sir? We've already confirmed his feelings. That alone should satisfy the rumor mill. The tape and the pictures that I took will confirm that. Our work here is done.



05.33 : Jack O'Neill

It's not done yet. I hate it when people don't do their jobs all the way through.



05.33 : Sam Carter

You're only looking for more ammunition against the Major in case he decides to put my teaching into practice.



05.33 : Jack O'Neill

That too.



05.33 : Sam Carter

Fine, fine. I'll see you at 10.00.



***



09.03 : Sam Carter

Colonel, I have a problem.



09.03 : Jack O'Neill

A problem?



09.04 : Sam Carter

Yes, Dad has just finished talking to the locals. He wants to spend more time with me now. And to be honest, we haven't had much quality time lately. Can I bring him along?



09.04 : Jack O'Neill

No, you cannot bring your Dad along. What would he say if he knew what we were up to?



09.04 : Sam Carter

He'd say that we're out of our minds? Or maybe ask why you are corrupting his little girl?



09.04 : Jack O'Neill

Fine, fine. You mingle with your Dad. I'll do this alone.



09.04 : Sam Carter

Thank you, Sir. I really appreciate this.



09.04 : Jack O'Neill

Anything for you, Carter. Anything for you.



09.04 : Sam Carter

Great. Then keep me posted on what's going on with Griff and his new girlfriend, OK?



09.05 : Jack O'Neill

I don't know whether to hate you or adore you.



09.05 : Sam Carter

Funny, Dad often says the same thing.



09.05 : Jack O'Neill

Jacob and I have so much in common.



09.05 : Sam Carter

I'll tell him that, Sir. I bet he'd love to hear it.



09.05 : Jack O'Neill

You do that. And also tell him to talk some common sense into his daughter's head. She needs it lately.



09.05 : Sam Carter

Will do. I'll see you later in our accommodations, Sir.



09.05 : Jack O'Neill

See you later, Carter.



***



12.13 : Sam Carter

Dear Colonel O'Neill,

With this letter, I would like to inform you that my plan for this evening has proven to be a gigantic waste of time. My Dad, as usual, acted like a ... Dad. Can you help me out with my predicament? Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Yours sincerely,

Major Carter.

PS: Please, pretty please. I'm desperate here.



12.14 : Jack O'Neill

Wow, that bad? What did your Dad do this time?



12.14 : Sam Carter

Well, he's making a big deal of (the lack of) my love life. He said that I'm at the right age to settle down and give him some grandchildren. Same old, same old.



12.14 : Jack O'Neill

He said that straight on your face? Brave man.



12.14 : Sam Carter

Well, he didn't say that exactly. He's smart and wise (with the help of Selmac) enough not to do that. But that's the gist of our conversation.

So, can you help me?



12.14 : Jack O'Neill

Sure. Where are you by the way?



12.15 : Sam Carter

Inside the women's toilet in one of the restaurants in the city. Can you radio me in five minutes, saying that you need me to do a parameter check or something? This way, I can bail out on him without hurting his feelings.



12.15 : Jack O'Neill

You have to stop using me as your scapegoat, you know. I won't be around forever.



12.15 : Sam Carter

As long as you're still here ...



12.15 : Jack O'Neill

OK then, in five minutes, I'll contact you.



12.15 : Sam Carter

Thanks Sir. I owe you.



12.15 : Jack O'Neill

You owe me a lot.



12.15 : Sam Carter

I know.



12.15 : Jack O'Neill

Hey, does this mean that you'll join me spying on Griff's date?



12.15 : Sam Carter

Sure, might as well do that. I don't have anything better to do. Where are you?



12.16 : Jack O'Neill

I'm outside his girlfriend's house. Do you know where it is?



12.16 : Sam Carter

I think so. She showed it to us earlier this morning.



12.16 : Jack O'Neill

Good. I'll meet you there.

And Carter, if you could, please be an angel and bring me some decent food to eat.



12.16 : Sam Carter

Consider it done.



***



15.44 : Sam Carter

Wow. For the record, that was the most fun I've had on a stakeout.



15.45 : Jack O'Neill

You got that right.



15.45 : Sam Carter

Did you see Griff's face when he saw us?



15.45 : Jack O'Neill

That's because you can't keep a straight face.



15.45 : Sam Carter

Hey, even though I had a serious expression on my face, I still think that his face would turn red. He was so embarrassed. Poor Griff.



15.46 : Jack O'Neill

Poor Griff? He got the girl, Carter. You need to redefine your description of 'poor' here.



15.46 : Sam Carter

But he was stuttering. I've never seen him like that.



15.46 : Jack O'Neill

That's because we caught him red-handed leaving his girlfriend's house late at night. And because we asked for an explanation.



15.46 : Sam Carter

Don't forget the way you recited some of the things that he told her earlier. He SO knows that we put a wire on him.



15.46 : Jack O'Neill

That too.



15.46 : Sam Carter

Anyway, I just wanted to say goodnight, Sir. Thanks for all the fun.



15.46 : Jack O'Neill

Anytime. I'll see you tomorrow.



15.46 : Sam Carter

See you then.



***



22.21 : Jack O'Neill

Are you awake yet?



22.21 : Sam Carter

Kind of. No matter how many missions I've been on, I'll never get used to the time difference. I can't switch my body on and off like that.



22.21 : Jack O'Neill

You'll learn how. Someday.

Anyway, can you meet me outside?



22.21 : Sam Carter

Why? Is there something wrong?



22.22 : Jack O'Neill

I noticed that Griff has gone missing from his bed. I bet you my right arm that he went to see his girlfriend. Do you want to find out what he's been up to?



22.22 : Sam Carter

Sure, why not? Give me five minutes to get ready.



22.22 : Jack O'Neill

You got it.



***



*Friday, 25 July 2003*



01.01 : Jack O'Neill

That lucky bastard.



01.01 : Sam Carter

I kinda agree with you.



01.01 : Jack O'Neill

What do you mean you 'kinda' agree?



01.02 : Sam Carter

He's lucky, yes. But he's not a bastard. Far from it, in fact.



01.02 : Jack O'Neill

Do you have a crush on him or something? You seem to defend him a lot.



01.02 : Sam Carter

He's a nice guy.



01.02 : Jack O'Neill

You're only saying that because he's a foolish guy who pays you $20 for an hour of nonsense and you want to keep him that way.



01.02 : Sam Carter

Actually, I think of him as a very smart guy for doing the thing that you just described.



01.02 : Jack O'Neill

Of course you do. Anyway, we got the picture that we needed, right?



01.02 : Sam Carter

Yes, Sir.



01.02 : Jack O'Neill

Good. Blow it up to poster size as soon as we get back and plastered it in the commissary, locker room (I'll do the men, you do the women), gym, rec. room, elevator, and any public place that you can think of. And don't forget to add the text 'The Winner of the Longest Distance Relationship' underneath it. And just to tick him off, put the exact distance between here and her planet.



01.03 : Sam Carter

Boy, you're really pushing your luck, aren't you?



01.03 : Jack O'Neill

He's a Major, I'm a Colonel. He won't dare to do anything to me.



01.03 : Sam Carter

Well, I'm a Major, and you're a Colonel. And look at the things that I do to you.



01.03 : Jack O'Neill

Do you really think that it was a wise move to mention that to me?



01.03 : Sam Carter

No, I guess not. But I did anyway.



01.03 : Jack O'Neill

Evil.



01.03 : Sam Carter

That's me.



01.03 : Jack O'Neill

I'll see you around, Carter.



01.03 : Sam Carter

See you, Sir.



***



16.45 : Sam Carter

Sir, Janet is looking for you. She said that you haven't had your post-mission examination yet.



16.46 : Jack O'Neill

I know. I'll be there in a few minutes.



16.46 : Sam Carter

What are you doing?



16.46 : Jack O'Neill

Nothing.



16.46 : Sam Carter

Colonel ...



16.46 : Jack O'Neill

Nothing, really. Just having a little chat with your Dad before he takes off, that's all.



16.46 : Sam Carter

What are the two of you talking about?



16.47 : Jack O'Neill

Man's stuff. Nothing that will interest a nice girl like you.



16.47 : Sam Carter

Do we really have to go through this again? I'm quite sure that we both know you only said that to avoid answering my question.



16.47 : Jack O'Neill

Ah. That's good then. That means you won't push for the answer.



16.47 : Sam Carter

No. I'm not that dense. I'll just have to find something to blackmail you with.



16.47 : Jack O'Neill

Oy.



16.47 : Sam Carter

Anyway, Janet's looking for you. I've already done mine and I'm going to process Griff's picture like you asked me to.



16.47 : Jack O'Neill

Good. Don't forget we have a debriefing at 17.30.



16.47 : Sam Carter

I'll see you there.



***



19.50 : Jack O'Neill

Hey, I heard that Jacob is staying for the party on Sunday. Is that true?



19.50 : Sam Carter

Afraid not, Sir. He had to go back to Tok'ra headquarters as soon as possible to report his findings. He'll gate back in half an hour. Do you want to see him off? And you'll be happy to know that Anise/Freya is going with him.



19.51 : Jack O'Neill

Really? Then I'm definitely going to see them off.



19.51 : Sam Carter

I think they'd like that.



19.51 : Jack O'Neill

Carter, are you going home tonight?



19.51 : Sam Carter

Yes, as soon as my Dad is gone, I'm going home. I'm going to bed early. Why?



19.51 : Jack O'Neill

For tomorrow, do you want me to pick you up or do you want to meet at the supermarket straight away?



19.51 : Sam Carter

I'll meet you at the supermarket, Sir. That way we'll have two cars to carry all the food and drinks.



19.51 : Jack O'Neill

OK. And you still remember that you owe me a home-cooked meal, right?



19.52 : Sam Carter

I wouldn't forget it for the world. Don't worry, Colonel, it'll be edible.



19.52 : Jack O'Neill

Good. I'm just making sure that you're not going to chicken out on me.



19.52 : Sam Carter

Not a chance in Hell. I said I'd cook for you. That means I'll cook for you. Any special requirement?



19.52 : Jack O'Neill

Just make sure that you didn't poison my food, OK?



19.52 : Sam Carter

No poison, got it.



19.52 : Jack O'Neill

See you in Gateroom then.



19.52 : Sam Carter

Bye.



***



21.34 : Sam Carter

Colonel, I forget to ask what time you want to meet tomorrow.



21.34 : Jack O'Neill

11.00. Not too early, not too late either. What do you think?



21.34 : Sam Carter

11.00 is perfect. Have you written down the shopping list yet?



21.35 : Jack O'Neill

What do you think I am? A housewife?

I don't need a shopping list. How hard can it be? We're just gonna buy some meat, salad, fruit, bread, beer, soda, fruit juice, and charcoal.



21.35 : Sam Carter

You are such a man. I'll make one then.



21.35 : Jack O'Neill

Suit yourself.



21.35 : Sam Carter

All right, I'm off to bed now. See you tomorrow.



21.35 : Jack O'Neill

Sweet dreams.



21.35 : Sam Carter

You too.



***