samandjack.net

Story Notes: Email: Katmellie@AOL.com (StargateLover69@Yahoo.co.uk)

Catergory: Hurt, Romance

Spoilers: None

Season: Eight

Sequel to: Destiny

Archive: SJD Yes

Warning: Mild language.


Jack rubbed at his eyes, as he shuffled down the hallway from his bedroom to the front door, cursing the person who was knocking on his door at whatever time it was. He hadn’t got back to his house till around five that morning after waiting for SG-7 to come back from their mission. It had been a tiring three days and he was looking forward to a little downtime of his own. He’d booked himself the whole weekend off, starting from Friday to Monday morning. His weekend would be watching episodes of the Simpson’s he hadn’t seen yet and drinking all of the beer in his fridge. But the persistent knocking on his front door, told him either there was a problem at the base or some halfwit wanted to die. Tugging his t-shirt down and his boxers up, he paused to take a deep calming breath and then yanked the door open. The sunlight blinded him for a few seconds before the silhouette moved forward, pushing their way into his hallway. Bewildered by the intrusion Jack let whoever it was push him out of the way and closed the door to keep the nosey neighbours out. The cheap cologne assaulted his senses and his muscles relaxed, knowing Daniel wasn’t much of a danger… unless he hadn’t had his shot of caffeine that morning. Daniel was acting as though he was looking for something, his eyes darting from one thing to another. Watching his friend with tired eyes, Jack picked out the sleep in the corner of his eye wandering back towards the hallway to his warm inviting bed. The clicking of Daniel’s shoes on the wooden floor echoed through the house. Slowly Jack realised with every step he took to go back to bed, the inquisitive doctor took one to follow. He stopped and turned his head to see Daniel over his shoulder, the younger man was still looking round for something. With a long sigh that turned into a long yawn, Jack padded into the kitchen and turned on the coffee machine. “What time is it?” Jack asked gradually reaching up to get two coffee mugs. “Erm…” Daniel glanced at his watch. “Half two.” Hearing the time just made Jack even more tired. “Great… Coffee?” “Sure. Shouldn’t you be getting ready though?” The doctor asked picking out an apple from the fruit bowl. “Getting ready to watch the Simpson’s, you mean?” Jack mumbled before he yawned again. “No, for the party.” Daniel said irritated by Jack’s forgetfulness. He looked at Daniel over his shoulder, as he poured coffee into both their mugs. “What party?” “Yeah, you know, Sam and Pete’s engagement party? Every time they go to have the party, Sam either has to go off-world or Pete’s in Denver.” Daniel bit a chunk out of his apple. “You are coming, right?” “Err…” Jack cast his gaze downwards, as he passed Daniel his coffee. “I don’t think she’ll want me there to be truthful, Daniel.” “What? Don’t be stupid, Jack. Course she does.” He exclaimed waving his apple around. “Daniel, believe me, she doesn’t.” Jack pushed himself up onto the kitchen counter and then sipped at his coffee. Daniel’s frown creased most of his forehead. “Has something happened between you and Sam? You two had an argument?” “Kinda… It doesn’t matter now anyway. Just give them my best when you go.” Jack scratched at his bare thigh. “Well, I need a date to come with me, so you’re coming with me.” Daniel instructed. “When you’ve finished that coffee, you can go and have a shower. Get dressed and then by that time, it should be time to go over there.” “Daniel, really, she doesn’t want me there.” He insisted. “I want you there, so you’re coming!” Jack looked shock at Daniel. “Okay, okay.” “Good. This whole thing is getting stupid now.” Daniel grumbled taking a large bite out of his apple. ‘Don’t I know it’ Jack thought sipping his coffee. Since returning back from the Artisans planet and the argument in Jack’s office, things between Jack and Sam had come to the point where they no longer were able to spend time alone in a room together. Discussions about the team had come down to a simple memo that would be passed back and forth between them, till all objectives were sorted or worked out. Briefing were more easier, as they could pretend they were talking to each other when really they were talking directly to Daniel and Teal’c, making out they were talking to the other. Rubbing a tired hand over his face, Jack slipped off the edge of the counter and finished off his coffee in one big gulp. Daniel remained standing at the island in the middle of the kitchen, as Jack waltzed off back to his bedroom to get washed and dressed for the party. On the way back to his bedroom though, he paused coming across a picture of the four of them. He remembered the day fondly. He’d just come back from a trip to his cabin in time for Cassie’s birthday, the year before when there wasn’t any Pete, and had surprised them all by walking through the side gate. Stopping a few feet away from them, he’d held out his hands to them and told them ‘I’m back’. Daniel had rolled his eyes grumbling not again, Teal’c had simply raised an eyebrow and Cassie had squeaked. But the reaction he’d loved most was watching Sam’s eyes lightened up and her cheerful smile slowly tug at the corners of her lips. He didn’t think that would be the reaction he’d received when Sam saw him at her party. She was going to kick his ass out of there. His gut told him so.

*********************************************************************************************************

Poking his sunglasses further up his nose, Jack sat back relaxed into the passenger seat of Daniel’s jeep, holding back his normal criticising remarks on Daniel’s driving for later use. He wasn’t feeling very much himself, there was an odd sensation going on within his stomach. The small snack Daniel had made before they’d left his house, was threatening to reacquaint itself with them. He held his fist in front of his mouth watching the parked cars whiz pass his window. It seemed as though Sam’s house was the most colourful house out of the row of houses, even though it was painted a dull gray/blue and all the others were a red/brown colour or a cool yellow. The thing that made it the most distinctive house out of the row, apart from it being Sam’s, was the different colour balloon’s decorating the gate and the porch of her house. There was a banner flapping in the gently breeze, welcoming everyone to ‘Sam and Pete’s engagement party’. In red paint that had been added to the original message, was ‘long overdue’. Jack’s idea for that banner involved some very immature behaviour and a lot of arse wiping. The whole engagement was starting to get on his nerves. The jeep squeaked to a halt behind someone’s parked car, Daniel cut out the engine with a simple turn of the key, as Jack thought about hijacking the newest jeep and taking himself back to bed. As Daniel reached into the back for his jacket, Jack hopped out onto the sidewalk pulling his pants up and his shirt down. He chuckled to himself thinking how he’d only need a black tie and he’d be ready to attend Pete’s funeral after killing him. Stuffing his hands into his pockets, he played with his loose change striding down towards Sam’s house. Daniel’s jeep beeped behind them whilst Daniel’s jogged to catch up with Jack, and they fell into step with one another. Jack kept his gaze cast down to the pavement, as they drew nearer to her house and could hear the music playing inside, he lifted gaze to be greeted by the most beautiful site he’d seen since he’d held his young son in his arms. She was standing on the porch greeting everyone as they arrived, directing them through the house to the back garden where the party was set up. He stopped just short of the gateway, leaving Daniel to carry on walking, and drank the site of her up. The dress she was wearing was long yet still revealing in the right places, the low cut neckline almost made him drool at the bare skin that was on site. He was fighting a raw urge to run up to her and ravish her neck, take her there with all her guests arriving to see them. It was animal instinct that produced the low audible growl from his gut and told him to go up there. He pulled his sunglasses down his nose, to rest on the bridge of his nose, while he sauntered through the gate and up the pathway to her porch. She was hugging Daniel when she saw him. He broke out into a grin when she blinked her eyes a couple of times and seemed to lose the ability to speak, when Daniel asked her a question. The stuttering and arm waving towards the house, told Daniel that Teal’c was in the kitchen helping out with the drinks. Daniel snuck off into the house in search of Teal’c whilst Jack ascended up the steps removing his sunglasses, to put into the breast pocket of his white shirt. Sam looked daze slightly as her fingers tossed her hair and her other hand sat on her hip. “Sir,” She managed to stutter. “I wasn’t expecting you… to come.” “Hhmm… Can’t pass up the chance for free drink and food.” He inspected her neck making her a little self conscious of her appearance. Rubbing her neck, Sam said. “Well, drinks in the kitchen and foods not going to be ready till…till…” Her eyes travelled down his body before shooting back up to his face. “Till Pete’s got the barbeque going.” “Right. Well, I’m only staying for a drink and then I’m off. I got some things I need to do.” He flapped his shirt brushing passed her. The quick intake of breath she took made his grin broaden, as he strolled through the hallway into the kitchen. Cassie and Teal’c were stood on one side of the island with a selection of drinks set up in front of them and supplies stacked behind them. Scratching the back of his head, Jack squeezed passed some of the guests and joined Cassie and Teal’c with the drinks. Cassie was quick to give Jack a hug and kiss on the cheek before offering him a beer and a seat. Things seemed to get a lot busier and the party began to get underway, when Pete came in, with his always present grin, and announced burgers and hotdogs would be done in due time. The glance Pete and Jack shared, was nearly enough to send Jack over there and rip Pete’s grin off his face. Taking a long sip from his beer, Jack let his eyes wander around the kitchen and living room till he spotted Sam in the corner, talking to some elderly woman. They seemed to be deep in conversation, their hands gesturing things to the other and the odd kind smile here and there. He could have watched till he was old and gray… he could have sat and watched her all day long. She carefully stroked some of her hair behind her ear, listening intently to the old woman who was now giggling at something. Sam’s eyes glanced round until she found Jack, still watching her even though she’d caught him. He sipped at his beer holding her gaze, making her lose herself into his eyes as he lost himself in hers. Everyone else blurred away and they all went silent, leaving the two of them in the room. He smiled at her, encouraging her to smile back at him. The woman, she was talking to, tapped Sam on her shoulder bringing her back to reality and breaking their connection. Jack shook himself out of it, putting his beer on the side, as he told Cassie and Teal’c he was going to leave them to it. They shared a hug and a manly tap on the back, and then Jack left putting on his sunglasses. He put his hands into his pockets and began to walk home. Jack could still hear the party until he turned into another street. The thought of calling a cab from the nearest pay phone was just crossing his mind, when a silver Volvo pulled up beside him. The electric window wound down, as the car coasted beside him keeping his pace easily. He side glanced at the car for a moment, surprised to see her behind the wheel when she should have been attending her party. Coming to halt Jack sighed taking his hands out of his pockets. “Yes, Carter, what can I do for you?” “We needed some ice, so I volunteered to go get some, and Cassie told me you were walking home.” She raised her voice, so he could hear her before she turned the radio off. “Walking hasn’t hurt me before, Carter, I don’t need someone to hold my hand.” He stooped down and leant onto her door, bringing their faces very close together. “I was going to offer you a ride home. Want one or not?” Her tone of voice sounded a lot like annoyance. “Fine.” Jack grumbled and marched around the front of her car to jump into the front with her. “Just don’t expect a tip, I’ve only got a fifty dollar bill on me.” “Funny.” She muttered pulling away from the curb. They rode in silence with only the engine giving them something to listen to; Jack leaned onto the car door with his fist propping up his head. He pulled some hairs off his pants and then studied the interior of her car, doing everything and anything that didn’t involved starting a conversation with her or touching her. She drummed her fingers on the steering wheel, slowing down to stop at a red light. With each beat of her slender fingers against the hard surface of the wheel, Jack became more irritated. He glanced at her fingers and then stared at them intently, psychically telling her to stop it or he’d break her fingers. When the lights changed to green, the drumming seized but as she was turning towards his neighbourhood that was when it started: the humming. His eyes widened and slowly moved from the steering wheel to her face. She must have notice him staring or felt his gaze on her, because the humming ended and she looked quickly from the road to him. “What?” She asked innocently. “Humming, annoying.” He said to her. “I can’t even hum in my own car now?” Sam held her hands up for a brief moment from the wheel to pray to some god. “Please!” Jack rolled his eyes. “Oh, Pete, tell the nasty General to stop picking on me.” “Eh?” She grunted at him becoming confused. “Please, Pete. Help me.” Jack pleaded in a hysteric woman’s voice. “The big nasty General won’t leave me alone.” “I do not hide behind him.” She retorted turning into another street. “Yeah, right. Samantha Carter, a one-woman army. Doesn’t need a man or his help.” He grumbled taking off his sunglasses. “You know I don’t hide behind anyone. You’re just… Ah, forget it.” Sam grumbled sharply turning into his driveway. The car rocked to a stop behind his truck, Jack got out without saying thank you and ambled off towards the side gate. He was reaching over the top to unbolt it when he heard her door slam shut. Opening the side gate, he closed it behind him and followed the gravel path to the side of his house. The back gate creaked open and banged itself shut. He pivoted round, saying. “What now?” She was still marching up towards him, her face full of determination. “I need to know something.” “Come to the wrong place, if you need to know something.” He placed his hands on his hips. “No,” She shook her head, a few feet away from him. “I’ve come to the right place.” Jack opened his mouth to say something when she assaulted him, clawing at his shirt and neck to bring him closer. To say he was surprised to find her lips had attached themselves to his was certainly an understatement. When he’d gotten over the surprise, he dropped his sunglasses on the floor and pressed his hands on her back bringing her nearer. He was threading his fingers through her hair, when she pulled away from him and hid her face into his chest. “Okay.” She said with a shaky voice, unsteadily shifting from one foot to the other. “That was… Oh, god, what am I doing?” “Don’t know but I was quite enjoying that.” Jack responded wrapping his arms round her. “No, no. This was wrong. I shouldn’t have done that. I’m engaged!” She exclaimed lifting her head up from his chest. He shook his head at her. “Carter, the only thing that’s wrong here is that you’re engaged to him.” “No! I’m happy! Me and Pete are happy!” She closed her eyes. “He loves me and I love him.” “Sometimes that isn’t enough.” Jack said bringing his hand up to touch her cheek. “It is!” Sam whispered. “No, it isn’t.” He rested his forehead against hers. “They say it is but it isn’t. I loved Sara with all my heart but I didn’t love her the way that I love you. I love you with my heart and my soul. I love you enough that I would sacrifice myself, so you could be happy for a minute or even a second. There wouldn’t be any second thoughts about it either. Jack kissed her sweetly on her cheek. “I would do anything for you and that is why I’m willing to let you marry Pete, though I know he’ll never make you as happy as I can.” “Sir… Jack, what am I supposed to do?” She asked snaking her arms up and around his neck. “It’s not up to me.” He whispered. “That’s you’re department.” She nodded her head dejectedly and let her arm slide down from around his neck. “I should be getting back, some people will be wondering where the ice is for their drinks.” “Okay.” Jack nodded his head at her, removing his arms from around her. She left quickly without another word while Jack sat down onto the grass, where they’d been stood, and picked up his sunglasses. He played with them for a while till it began to get dark and went inside.

*********************************************************************************************************

The commissary was quiet with only few personnel having their breakfast before heading home or starting their shift. In the shadows at the back of the commissary, Jack picked at his breakfast reading through the memos and mail he’d picked up from his Inbox. He wasn’t really reading it though; he was wondering what Sam was going to do. A horrible feeling was swelling in his gut again and it wasn’t his breakfast that tasted funny. Letting it pass he laid the pieces of paper onto the table and finished his breakfast, sipping at his coffee from time to time. He hadn’t heard anything from Sam or the others since Friday: this would have been something to worry about but with two workaholics and one Jaffa doing his own thing, it was to be expected. The same went for Cassie; she was into her own thing too those days. Collecting his papers together and downing the last of his coffee, he rose from his seat as the occupants of his thoughts laughed their way into the commissary with the doors flapping shut behind them. He lingered at his table deciding whether to stay or go, but the decision was made for him when Daniel joined him at the table and motioned to the extra coffee that was on his tray. Jack sat back down at the same time Daniel took the seat beside him, moving the coffee from his tray to in front of Jack. “Thanks, Danny. Sucking up to the big boss man, are we?” Jack joked beginning to read his memos again. “Me, suck up? Don’t be silly, Jack.” Daniel shook his head. “Couldn’t postpone the artefact from PX6 829 being sent to Area 51, could you?” “Sure, Daniel.” He chuckled shuffling his papers. Jack looked up from his papers when he heard Sam giggling, as she and Teal’c made their way over to their table with their breakfasts. “Teal’c, it’s a sure bet that if Luke Skywalker went up against Superman, that Luke Skywalker would win.” “I do not see your logic in coming to that conclusion, Colonel Carter.” Teal’c said putting his tray on the table and sitting down. “As superman is faster than light and is stronger than steal, it would be impossible for Luke Skywalker to defeat him.” “Okay, Teal’c, what about Luke’s power of suggestion and mind control power? ” She asked all knowingly. Jack frowned looking to Daniel for his reaction to their conversation: the archaeologist was digging into his pancakes with no care for anything he made uncover. Scratching his head, he turned his attention back to Sam and Teal’c putting his memos to one side. “I do not see your meaning, Colonel Carter.” Teal’c said after a moment of thought. Sam wiped her mouth with her napkin and took a quick sip of her coffee. “ Think about it, Teal’c. If Luke can raise his X-wing from that swamp, don’t you think he’d be able to hold superman and stop him flying or doing anything to harm him?” Teal’c bowed his head in defeat and began eating the fruit he’d selected for his breakfast. Sam smiled at her win and looked to each of them, stopping when she came to Jack. He smiled at her but was saddened when she diverted her gaze down at her bacon and eggs. Feeling uncomfortable with the silence that settled over the table, Jack shuffled his papers and drank some of his coffee whilst he scarped his chair back against the floor. His sudden movements startled them all around the table, their eyes watching him stand up. “I’ve got some things I ought to be doing, kids. I’ll see you later.” And with that Jack quickly left their table and shot out of the commissary without even taking a pie for a snack.

*********************************************************************************************************

Few Weeks Later

“The mission was very much a success apart from Chelsea catching the flu, sir.” Colonel Frazts said. “We obtained enough Naquadah for a good two months supply and the people on the planet are willing to set up a treaty or trade agreement for supplies and such for a certain amount of Naquadah each month.” “Sounds good to me.” Jack responded looking over the occupants of the table. “Can I request that SG-9 be the ones to go back and set up the treaty, sir? The people already know us and trust us, sir.” Frazts sounded like he was pleading. Jack studied him. “I don’t see a problem with that. First though, SG-9 is on downtime for two days and then you can ship out at eleven hundred on Wednesday. Dismissed.” SG-9 waited for Jack to stand up before they stood up themselves and then filed out the Briefing room, as Jack moseyed on into his office to dump the dossier he’d been reading on his desk. He stretched his back and then his arms above his head after which he noticed the calendar on his desk. ‘September 6th’ two days to Sam’s wedding. She was on leave already, spending some time away from wedding planning and the SGC giving her and Pete four days for themselves. He hated to think about what they could be doing. Tiredly groaning he sat down into his chair and clasped his hands onto his desk. “Getting too old for this shit.” A prompt knock came at his door, before it was opened, and Gilmor came in reading whatever the papers were in his hand. He was talking about something as usual and as usual Jack wasn’t listening to him. Resting his chin into the palm of his hand, Jack watched Gilmor place something onto his desk and then pointed at lines of printed writing. “This is the list of the personnel that will be absent to attend Colonel Carter’s wedding.” Gilmor informed him, flicking the page over. “I didn’t see your name on it, sir.” “Cause I’m not going, Gilmor.” Jack groaned. “Oh, right. Well, if you sign this last page, I can get on with roistering them off and replacing them for the day.” He said with a smile, offering Jack a pen. “Sign this, sign that. I swear, one day, you’re going to try and get me to sign something that will give you a pay rise.” Jack grumbled taking the pen and signing. Gilmor chuckled. “I did that yesterday, sir.” Another knock came on Jack’s door and Gilmor left as Daniel came in. Jack frowned in thought, while Daniel came further into the room, and then jumped slightly out of his seat, angling himself so he could see pass Daniel and out into the corridor. “What do you mean yesterday!” Jack boomed. Daniel wriggled his finger in his ear, checking he could still hear. “Jack, I need to pop back to PX5 903.” “You’ll have to wait till tomorrow and then you can take SG-5.” He told him moving a file from his desk to his outbox. “Oh, okay.” Daniel said cheerfully and headed out the door to suddenly come back, with a concern look on his face. “You okay?” “I’m great. Why?” Jack asked unbuttoning his shirt. He waved his hand towards Jack, placing his over hand on his hip. “I know you’re not happy about Sam’s wedding, neither am I, but then I’m not in love with her.” “What?” Jack exclaimed. “I’m not in love with Carter. God sake, Daniel, that’s a court-martial offence.” “But it doesn’t stop you falling in love with her, which you have done.” Daniel said taking a seat. “Hhmm… Well, I’m fine, Daniel. Don’t need to worry about me.” Jack said defensively. Daniel took his glasses off and cleaned them on the corner of his shirt. “ Jack, you can’t let her marry him. You got to tell her how you feel.” “She knows.” He said down hearted. “She knows how I feel about it and her.”

“Oh… And she’s still going through with it? Is she crazy?” Daniel questioned putting his glasses back on. “Her last psych exam says she isn’t.” Jack put on his best smile. “You’ve got to stop her, Jack.” Daniel commanded. Jack shrugged, holding up his hands helplessly. “You know Carter, once she has her mind set on something, she’s got to see if through to the end. And she can’t stand to fail.” “She should get down off her high horse then.” He grumbled getting out of his seat. “That be quite a fall for her, Daniel.” Jack joked, grinning at the image of Sam falling off a horse. “I better get back to work.” Daniel gave Jack a little wave and then left. Jack looked to his phone on his desk and then picked it up, punching in Gilmor’s extension. When the younger man answered, he was beckoned into Jack’s office with the General’s tone. Gilmor began to think his days were numbered.

*********************************************************************************************************

It was about eight o’clock at night and Jack had just finished his grocery shopping, he was beat and just able to stay awake long enough to drive home. He was piling his bags onto the back seat of his truck when a car pulled up beside his truck. Carefully placing his sacred beer into the foot well, he turned shutting the door with his elbow, and was about to push the shopping cart back to the shop, when he came across the sweetest blue eyes. He glanced to the man walking off towards the ATM machine, leaving the beautiful blonde in the SUV. Lifting his cap up and then pulling it back on, Jack ambled over to the passenger door as she wound the window down. She smiled at him leaning onto the edge of the door, checking Pete was far enough away. “Hi, sir. Done some shopping?” Sam asked with her own baseball cap on. “Err… yeah. Come back early or something?” He inquired, noting the mud splattered up and around the wheel arch. “Just getting some bare essentials. Pete’s rented a cabin just outside of town. It’s great!” She said with too much enthusiasm: he could tell she wasn’t enjoying it. “So…” Jack mumbled laying a hand onto the door. “Still going through with it?” She looked down at the floor. “Yes.” “Okay.” He said dejectedly. He put on his best smile for her and then walked off to return the shopping cart, wiping the single tear that escaped down his cheek. Even after he told her that he loved her, she wouldn’t stop the wedding. Maybe it was because he loved her more than anything, more than life itself, but she didn’t feel that strongly about him. Jack rubbed at his eyes and bowed his head out of sight, as Pete was walking back towards his SUV where Sam was waiting for him. The thought of just turning round and breaking Pete’s neck entered his mind. It wasn’t like Pete was aware of his presence. The man was too busy stuffing his money into his wallet. Jack could easily make it look like a robbery, he’d been trained for the simple hit and run. Glancing over his shoulder to check where Pete was, he shuddered at the sight of the couple exchanging a kiss and the engine of the SUV start. He rammed the cart into the others that were neatly tucked up against the wall of the store. His hatred for Pete flared up as he turned to see the SUV coasting through the almost empty car park and turned onto the street to head wherever they were going. Grumbling he marched straight back to his truck to jump in it and then raced all the way home to drink himself into a dreamless sleep.

*********************************************************************************************************

Drinking his eighteenth cup of coffee that morning with his feet resting on the edge of his desk, leant back as far as he could go in his cool leather chair, Jack pretended it was just a normal day at work. There wasn’t anything special about that day. There was no wedding going on topside in some dinky little church somewhere. Everyone was in their offices or labs doing the work they did everyday, or blowing things up in Felger’s case. Slowly he was losing things he could do to keep him entertained or keep his mind off what would be happening round about then. But there wasn’t much anyone could really do, when they knew the one person in the world that they truly loved, was going to be walking down some aisle and marrying the wrong man. He looked at his coffee and cursed the drink that hadn’t helped him. If the Artisans were right and the drink of ‘âme f sœur’ could show someone their soul mate, why didn’t she stop the wedding? She was a woman of science though and needed things to be concrete, the answers to be solid. She couldn’t do something on a gut instinct or on her feelings, things had to be calculated and thought over. A quiet knock rapped on his door, he barked ‘come in’ and a weary airman entered to hand a note to Jack, leaving very quickly afterwards. He dropped the note onto his desk to deal with later. Setting his mug onto the desk, he dropped his feet down from his desk and swivelled round in his chair to look at the certificates and medals he’d earned over the years. At one point in his life that was all that had matter to him: doing well and getting pay the big bucks for being the best. But all that didn’t matter to him now. It was her happiness that mattered to him. Jack scrubbed his hands through his hair, as he turned back round to his desk and picked up the note to unfold it. Picking up his mug, he sipped at his cooling coffee and read the note in his hand. He frowned at the note laying it back down and exchanged his mug of coffee for the phone, dialling Daniel’s cellular like the note instructed. After a few rings the cell phone was answered. “Hello?” “Hey, Daniel. I just got your note.” Jack told him flicking the note over to check the back. “What can I do for you?” “Jack, you need to get to the church.” Daniel sounded anxious. “No, I don’t. I’m not going to sit there and watch her marry him.” He said holding his head up with his hand. “No, Jack, you really need to get to the church.” Daniel emphasised. “Sam’s locked herself in the Pastor’s room and won’t come out.” Jack’s mouth dropped open. “What? Why?” “Hang on.” There were sounds of movement and then a door closing. “I don’t know what happened. Things were going according to plan and Pete was putting Sam’s ring on her finger, while the Pastor was reading out what she had to say. And when she looked up from the floor, which she’d been doing for most of it, she just sort of froze. Like something had dawned on her.” “And then what happen?” He asked with some hope creeping upon him. “She said ‘I can’t do this’ and ran into the Pastor’s room.” Daniel said. “Well, what do you want me to do? Blow the door off?” Jack sarcastically said. There was a quiet pause. “Jack, you idiot, just get here and talk to her.” “Fine.” He mumbled getting out of his chair and putting the phone down. He stood still with his hand resting on top of the phone in its cradle. Slowly his lips formed into a smile before he shot out of the door, shouting for Gilmor to take care of things while he was gone.

*********************************************************************************************************

He arrived at the church to find most of the guests congregated around the entrance, or were having a quick cigarette in the car park, blocking off the use of the entrance to everyone else. Getting out of his truck, Jack heard the crowd burst into whispers, wondering what he was doing there. As he walked towards the side entrance, where there was no one blocking up the doorway, he peered over his shoulder at some of the familiar faces. They all seemed to be watching him: it sent a shiver down his spine. Pushing down the catch on the door, Jack opened the heavy wooden door and entered the church finding it was just as pack as it was at the entrance. He closed the door with a soft thud and clatter before making his way through the people to the altar, where he assumed Daniel and Teal'c would be. None of them noticed him, when he climbed the steps and came up behind them. They were all too busy trying to talk to Sam through the door. Pete hammered his fist against the door but then spoke in a soft voice. Daniel and Teal'c were stood to one side, both with blank expressions to their faces. Placing his hands into his pockets, Jack watched everyone's efforts on getting the door opened.

It just seemed stupid to try shoulder barging the door open when it was probably four inches thick. Daniel and Teal'c appeared at his side without him knowing and watched on, as Pete and Mark try to get Sam to open the door. Jack would have laughed, if his own insides weren't all screwed up with his nervousness. Was she really stopping it? Or was it just last minute nerves? Clearing his throat, Jack tried to get everyone's attention. "Can I try?"

"What? Where did you come from?" Pete asked confused. "Can I just have a go a minute?" Jack repeated moving towards the door. "Just everyone go away for a bit." "When did he..." Pete pointed at Jack, as Daniel and Teal'c guided him and everyone else away from the door. Jack wiped a hand over his face and knocked on the door softly. "Carter, can you let me in please?" He glanced round to the faces that were all watching expectantly, when he heard the bolt recede back and the door crack open allowing him entrance. Taking a deep breath he edged the door open a bit more and stepped inside. She closed the door immediately and bolted it, while it sounded like someone had ran straight into the door hoping to come in too. Quietly she moved away from the door and sat down next to the white fluffy dress, laid over the back of the chair beside her. She must have taken it off while she'd been in there and put on someone's shirt that had been lying around. Uncomfortably Jack shifted and scuffed his boot against the stone floor. "So..." "So..." Sam mumbled. "There are some anxious people outside wanting to know what's going on." He told her taking the seat behind him. "Well, they can stay out there. I'm thinking." She spoke softly, unsure of herself. "Mind telling me, what you're thinking about?" Jack asked rubbing his hands together. She looked up at him from the floor. "Something that I should have decided long ago before this even got this far." "Oh..." He gestured to the chair beside her. "This about whether or not you want to wear the dress?" "Stop playing dumb. I don't want to smile right now." She said clutching at the edge of the chair. "I feel like scum of the universe for what I've put people through. I let a man fall in love with me and accepted his hand in marriage, when really it wasn't his hand I wanted. How evil is that?" "Excellent." Jack impersonated Mr Burns whilst twiddling his thumbs together. "Would you stop it?" She commanded more than asked. "Sorry, couldn't help it." He shied away, focusing his gaze onto the cross on the wall. "I can't help some of the things I do, you know? Like falling in love with someone." Heavily sighing, Sam covered up her face with her hands. "Please, not now, not the guilt trip now." "Carter, there's over a hundred people out there, waiting for this wedding to get back on track. If I had anything to do with it, I'd tell them all it was cancel and to go home." Jack said pointing towards the door. "You can't hide in here all day. You've got to make a decision." "I know, I know!" She shouted at him, dropping her hands from her face revealing the tears she was crying. "I'll understand if you choose to go on with the wedding." Jack said dropping his head down. "What? No!" She exclaimed darting across the room to sit beside him. "I don't want him, I realise that now. I want to be with you." Jack rolled his eyes sitting back into the chair. "How are we going to do that then, if we're still Air Force, huh?" Sam frowned at him. "Didn't you get my request form for early retirement and proposal for heading the science and technology part of the SGC?" "No." He said unsure. "Though I have been a little distracted these past months. Unless... Gilmor!" "What about him?" She asked. "Nothing. It doesn't matter right now." He shook his head. "Okay." She looked towards the door. "Suppose I better go and face the music." He nodded his head. "We'll both go face the music together." Sam smiled as Jack took her hand, linking their fingers together, and stood up from their seats. He unbolted the door and opened it, and together they went out into the church.

*********************************************************************************************************

Several Days Later

Signing another form and tossing it into his outbox Jack hurriedly collected his keys and wallet from his desk draw, when his office door opened and Sam come in. “What the hell are you doing?” She questioned with her hands on her hips. “I’m just coming now.” He said slamming his desk draw shut. “I’ve been waiting at the elevator for you, for half an hour.” She pointed to her watch. “You said you’d only got to sign something.” He looked at her, as he moved a stack of files from his desk to sit on top of the filing cabinet. “I was but it was about twenty things and then I had to read a few things.” “Well, come on and hurry up.” Sam ordered laying her hand onto the doorknob. “Daniel, Teal’c and Cassie are waiting for us at the restaurant.” “What does it look like I’m doing? I’m coming!” He barked moving some more papers. Gilmor came in reading a piece of paper. “Sir, this needs your signature immediately.” “Just this one then. Then I’m going.” Jack said sternly, picking up a pen from his desk. As Gilmor gave him the form, Sam rolled her eyes and crossed her arms impatiently. “Why don’t you just get a stamp?” “Sam, I’m coming.” Jack mumbled scribbling his name at the bottom of the piece of paper. “Thank you, sir.” Gilmor said when Jack handed it to him and made his way towards the door. “Have a nice night.” “Yeah, will do.” Jack checked he had every thing on his way to the door. Moving to squeeze pass Sam, she stopped him with a simple hand on his shoulder. “You forgetting something?” “No, come on, we’re already late.” Jack said impatiently. “Yes, you did.” She smiled cheekily at him. “You haven’t given me a kiss in say, oh, half an hour.” Jack smiled at her, as he cornered her up against the door. “What a horrible man I am, not kissing the most precious thing in this universe in the last half an hour. How will I ever make it up?” “Jack,” She said. “Just kiss me already.” He chuckled capturing her lips when a thought struck him. Breaking the kiss, Jack ducked out into the hallway. “GILMOR, WE NEED TO TALK ABOUT YOU AND MY SIGNATURE ON FORMS I HAVEN’T SEEN!”

*********************************************************************************************************

The End (Feedback Welcome)