samandjack.net

Story Notes: Authors notes: Sequel to “On Leave” and “The Pictures”, if you need these, you'll find them at: www.sg1-episodes.com

Feedback: Please. It makes my day!


General Hammond had worked it out so all the SG teams were back on Earth for Christmas for a few days so they could spend the holiday with their families. SG-1 was one of the last ones to come back from off world. In the past couple of days off world, Daniel had been teaching Teal'c about Christmas, and once back on Earth Teal’c was eager to get to the mall. Whenever Daniel or anyone attempted to involve Sam or Jack, they conveniently came up with excuses not to join in the holiday spirit. Sam just wanted to work and Jack was rudely snapping at everyone. Sam felt guilty for not helping Daniel with Teal'cs’ first Christmas but she just couldn't get out of her holiday depression.

As they were all walking down the corridor of the SGC, Teal’c was asked Daniel where would be the best place to find a gift for Cassie.

Daniel looked at Teal’c and answering, “Best place is at the mall, especially when you don’t know what you want to get.” Getting a brainstorm, Daniel announced, ”We should all go!“

“...Not in the mood," Jack grumbled.

“I have my report to finish before I take off for a few days.” Sam said as an excuse.

Daniel looked to his two friends wondering what was bothering them. Not wanting to pry, he shrugged his shoulders, and departed for the surface and the mall with Teal’c, in one of his infamous hats, in tow.

Jack looked over to Sam saying, “I’m out of here. You taking off too?”

“It’s early yet, and I still have that report.”

“Uh huh. Well, …Don’t stay too late. Down time means you go home.” Jack turned away from Sam, and walked towards the elevator. He stopped after a couple of steps, turned to Sam who was still walking down the hall to her lab. “Hey Carter?”

‘Oh god. Don’t say it… Please…’ Sam was dreading having to fake a holiday cheerful mood. “Yes, sir?” she answered.

Sad blue eyes returned his gaze, but Jack was didn’t notice, being lost in his own thoughts and memories. “See ya in a couple days.” He waved at her and continued to leave.

Sam looked at up and down the corridor and noticed the empty hallways. Relieved Sam stepped into her office-lab, and sat down at her computer. She stayed and worked for a few more hours on nothing that couldn’t have waited a few more days. She just wanted to be on base, at Stargate command, were everything was normal. No excessive Christmas decorations, lights or
ornaments. No reminders. Looking up at the clock she sighed, ‘6pm on Dec 24. Just a few more hours’. She looked at her desk, and around her lab. ‘Nothing more to do here that wouldn’t take me hours to do. I better get going.’

General Hammond was doing his rounds, before leaving for the long weekend. He stood in the lab’s doorway, “Captain Carter? Go Home.”

“Just leaving now, sir.” She said happily, but not feeling it.

“Good. Merry Christmas,” the General said as he saw her pick up her coat.

Sam sighed to herself, one more… she could handle one more. “Yes sir! You too!”

She made her way home passing all of the neighborhood light displays. Sam tried to ignore all the different Christmas lights. All the different colors of the rainbow sparkling against snow, blinking happily. Walking into her home, she turned up the heat a few notches, and dropped her coat on the back of a chair in her small kitchen. Going to the refrigerator, she opened it
and pulled out a small bottle of orange juice. Pulling off the tab, she turned around and looked at her empty apartment. Her place was neat and tidy but empty. On her the kitchen counter she saw the only Christmas decoration. A small little planted pine tree with little red presents decorating it. Her landlord gave it to her. In the back of her mind she yearned, 'I wish I had someone to share Christmas with...'

Absently checking the plants need for water, she stuck her finger in the soil. 'It’s your own damned fault, Sam. Your brother has invited you for the past years and all you do is send your regrets and a couple of gifts to the girls'

Bringing the plant over to her kitchen faucet she gave the little tree some needed water. 'Well, it's not the same, unless you spend it with someone your in love with.'

Replacing the plant in its container, she noticed a red light blinking on her answering machine. Listening to her messages and found two from her brother repeating his traditional Christmas offer and one from a telemarketer. ‘I got to get out of here,’ she groaned. Sam quickly packed a bag with a change of clothing, got back into her SUV and took off. She didn’t have a planned destination; she just drove.

Her mind was numb from the winter evening and her holiday depression. She had been driving for an hour when she realized she needed to get some fresh air. She pulled into a gas station, grabbed some coffee and a candy bar. Sam got back to her car and continued heading west into the mountains, and hopefully to some peace. Driving along a curvy two lane round, Sam made her way around a tight curve. Another driver’s lights blinded her, and Sam gasped. ‘My side! Oh Shit!’ Sam slammed on her brakes and swerved out of the other driver’s way. Her tires caught the snowy shoulder, and she spun out of control. Sam gained control over her car, just in time for her to ricochet off a tree, and bounce down an embankment. Bouncing down the steep slope,
running over a lot of small trees and bushes on the way down. Hitting her head on the way down, Sam passed out as her car came to rest in an open valley.

When Sam came to, she reached up to her head, and felt a bump start to grow. ‘Thank God for seat belts. It could have been much worst,’ she recalled what happened and tried to think on what to do next. Outside her vehicle, the moonlight was highlighting some of the contours and trees right outside her car window. Checking her watch she saw it was almost midnight on Christmas Eve. ‘What was I thinking?’ she heaved a deep sigh. ‘I should have stayed at the base or at least at home? It would have been warmer’. She recalled just a couple of months back being trapped in Antarctica with the Colonel. ‘At least he's at home.’ She looked at her watch again and noticed it ticked over to Dec24th 00:00 and at that exact moment she prayed, 'I wish I could spend Christmas with someone who I was in love with.' She started to cry letting the past holiday weeks, her self-imposed heavy workload and the car crash catch up to her. 'Well, I can't do anything right now. I can't see where I landed. I'm fine here for now. I'll just sleep and take a look around in the morning.' Grabbing her coat, and using it as a blanket she tried getting some sleep.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

In the morning, Sam woke up at dawn and couldn't see through her windshield. She turned on the car, but it wouldn't start. ‘Great’, she mumbled. She tired the wipers and was relieved that there was enough electricity to make the wipers go. The wipers swept the fresh powder off. Sam looked around and everywhere she looked, all she could see was a winter wonderland. Pine trees
covered with snow. If this were a post card it would be pretty. She attempted to start the car again. Nothing.

‘Well I got to do something.' She bundled up, putting on her ski parka and her backpack and securing her boots, she stared to hike up to the road. Try as she might, Sam kept slipping down the hill. Giving up trying to climb, she looked around for another way. She found herself walking along what seemed to be a path. ‘Maybe made by deer,’ she thought, ‘at least it’s easy
going.’ After a couple of hours, she knew she was lost. Hungry, cold and tired, Sam prayed. ‘Please someone help me. God Please. Show me a sign, which way do I go?’

After a few hundred more feet she saw her sign; a bright red ribbon. She walked toward it. She saw that it was the forest ranger's ribbons. The ones they used to mark trees. She saw another one peeking out of the snow in the distance and she followed it, hoping and praying that the ribbons would take her to the ranger station and some help.

Sam followed about ten of them before she couldn't see any more. She stopped and looked around trying to find another. Through the trees she saw a small building. ‘Finally,’ she thought, ‘some shelter, at least. Maybe someone will be there.’ The door was not locked. She walked in, and saw that it was a small clean cabin. ‘No one is here, but looks like it’s used often.’ Sam, thinking only of getting warm again, walked over to the fireplace, found the kindling and matches. After starting a fire with the wood that was by the fireplace, Sam changed her clothes. Warmth spread over her. Finding a blanket draped over the back of the sofa, Sam curled up by the fire and soon fell fast asleep.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Jack woke up a little later than usual – a little later than he wanted, packed some clothes and took off. After stopping for some supplies for the next few days, he continued on to his destination. Pulling up, Jack noticed signs of faint smoke coming out of the cabin’s chimney. Someone was at his cabin. Being cautious, he stopped his truck a ways from the cabin, pulled
his gun out from under the seat, he got out and creeped up. Circling around, looking in the windows, he couldn’t see anyone, except a body curled up and asleep on his couch. ‘A burglar that fell asleep?’ Jack thought as he moved around to the front again and quietly slipped in the door. The person didn't wake up. He moved around to the couch, still ready with his gun. He looked down and relaxed, seeing the familiar form of Captain Carter all bundled up on his couch. Her blonde hair tousled and she was wearing mittens. He wondered, ‘Why was she here, …and where was her car... She looked...Hmm...’ He couldn’t complete that thought. ‘She didn't wake up when I came in. She usually is a very light sleeper.’ Letting her sleep, Jack stoked up the fire in the fireplace a little more he then went over to where the stove was. Opening a couple of cans of chili and he started to heat them up. Jack then went out to his truck and grabbed the perishables and his other supplies that he had brought with him.

‘Smells good,‘ the food smells woke Sam up. 'What's that? Where’s that coming from. Dang I'm hungry.' she peeked out from her blanket and saw a silhouette of a man looking back at her. She got worried. Then she started babbling about being in a car accident, getting lost and finding her way here. Jack realized that she didn't recognize him yet.

“Captain Carter.” Jack said, interrupting her.

“What?” ‘What’s going on, this man knows my name?’ She thought.

“What, Sir I believe is the proper way to address a superior officer.” He teased

‘Oh, it’s just Jack… the Colonel in my dreams again. But it seems so real. And I’m so cold, and something is smelling very good.’ “Sir?” she questioned.

“Yes Carter?” He asked like nothing was wrong with her lying on his couch on Christmas Eve, but he was just as confused as she was. ‘I wonder if she has a concussion, she’s not acting like herself.’ Getting up he walked back over to the stove and dished out 2 cups of thick chili.

“What are you doing here? Am I dreaming?” Sam focused on him, he was wearing a deep blue sweat shirt. She could see another layer peeking out from under the sweatshirt. Sam had always admired his style of clothing, casual but sharp. What was he doing in her dreams, again?

“I was going to ask you the same thing.”

“Is this a dream?”

“No. Here. Eat this.” Sam sat up as Jack handed her the warm bowl of chili. It felt good as she cupped the bowl in her cold hands. It sent shivers through her arms into the rest of her body. The sensation was wonderful. Jack watched her balance the bowl in one hand, “What are you doing here?” he inquired.

“Sir?” Sam said, still trying to gain her balance.

Between bites of his own chili, Jack asked, “You said you got into a car crash?” He was still worried because she still didn’t seem quite right to him.

“Yes. I followed the ribbons here.” Sam explained.

‘Ribbons?’ Jack thought. ‘She still wasn't making much sense, but she was safe, and it appeared, uninjured.’

“What are you doing here sir?” She repeated her question.

“It’s my cabin.” He replied continuing to eat his own chili.

“Oh?” His cabin? She thought as things were starting to clear up.

“Yep.” He said simply. Sam hadn’t looked around much when she first got in. All she wanted to do was get warm and as she got warm she feel asleep. She looked past him and around the one room cabin. She began to recognize his personal touches on the walls and his things around them. She couldn’t believe she hadn’t seen them when she stepped in earlier.

“Okay. So, we now know how we both got here. What I want to know is why aren't you at home, or better yet with your family?” He questioned her.

‘Family, Christmas, home – oh god, no! I don’t want to think any more about it.’ She suddenly looked ashen. She didn't want to think about those things, let alone tell him. She didn't want to tell anyone. She didn't want to talk about it at all.

Sam ignored his question concentrating on her almost empty chili bowl. Cleaning the sides with the sourdough bread he had given her, she sought temporary escape at the bottom of the bowl.

Studying her, Jack had seen the pain go across her face. She didn't say anything but he started to guess that whatever her problem was, she didn’t want to talk it.

They sat in silence for a while. "Do you want some more?" Jack asked softly.

“No thanks.”

He looked at her. She definitely was in pain and it was hurting him. He could see her eyes where misting up. His strong Samantha was on the verge of a ‘crying-jag’. He didn't know what to do. He never knew what to do when Sarah, his ex-wife, started to cry either. ‘Damn it! Why did I have to go and think of her? Shit!’ Sarah and Charlie. Memories started to flood back
about past Christmas. ‘Great! Just great!’

Jack refocused on Sam as she reached up and wiped the tear away before it fell. ‘What the hell is she doing here? And what’s got her so worked up. Damn it!’

Feeling his presence sitting across from her, “Your cabin?” She inquired, still not sure.

Jack’s heart sank, one of his co-workers, his teammate, his friend, his Sam was hurting and he couldn’t seem to help. “Uh huh.” Not an overly religious man, Jack said a small prayer to anyone who happened to be listening. ‘What ever is bothering her, let me be able to help. Please.’

“What are you doing here?” She asked.

Pausing before he answered, he finally said, “Escaping.”

She looked up at him, gazing right in to his deep troubled brown eyes. “Escaping who?”

“Not who.” He said almost whispering. “What.”

Not realizing it, but Sam’s heart and mind grabbed on to a glimmer of understanding. “Christmas?”

Finding the grout on the fireplace more interesting Jack admitted, “Yep.” He was feeling like a cad for just admitting to her that he hated Christmas time.

She considered Jack’s revelation to her. He had said so much in that one word and at that moment she felt their relationship grow another step between them. "Me too." She admitted.

Not believing his ears, “You too?” he asked. ‘I thought I was the only one that had trouble with Christmas. Didn’t I see her the other day at the SGC wishing someone a Merry Christmas?’ He thought back. ‘Come to think of it, she didn’t look very happy at the time.’

“Yep.” She answered. They sat quietly with each other, contemplating. He was wondering, ‘Why did she want to escape too. She's always so happy, full of life and passionate. What would make her want to escape?’

Sam looked over at Jack, who was staring into the fire. She looked past him at one of the pictures on the fireplace mantle and realized why he was having such a hard time. It was a picture of Charlie proudly holding up a large fish.

Sam couldn’t help it, but her instinct to find the truth, the answers, to help her friend out. “How long has it been?” She asked in a whisper.

‘For crying out loud,’ he groaned to himself. ‘I came to get away from those thoughts.’ He didn't want to talk about it either. Rubbing the heals of his hands deep into his eyes he debated with himself. Finally answering he said, “This would be 2 years.”

He picked up the poker and started stabbing at the fire taking his aggravations out on a flaming piece of wood, like the fire itself was going to attack him.

“Did you come here last year?” Sam continued.

“Uh huh.” He murmured.

‘I’m intruding on him, I got to get out of here.’ Throwing back the blanket, she got up, and started to pull on her boots. "I'm sorry sir, I'll leave you to..." She walked out the door pulling on her jacket, "I'll just go...”

Jack looked up, seeing that she was attempting to leave. “Go where Sam? You said your car was stuck in a ravine someplace.”

She stopped in her tracks, with her hand on the doorknob, she thought about what he said. ‘He’s right.’ She started to weigh her possibilities. ‘Anything to get out of here. I can’t stay here,’ she thought. ‘What if I…’

“If you don’t mind I'll just…” Voicing her idea as she opened the door.

“No.” Jack responded. ‘She wants to leave… she wants to leave me.’ He thought unconsciously.

“Huh?” Looking out to his truck her escape plan formulating, she absently noticed that it was being covered with snow, barely making out what color it was.

“You can't have my truck,” he said reading her mind.

“Sir?” she said surprised.

From the fireplace, Jack stood up and took a determined step towards Sam. “You can't take my truck.” He repeated, standing in the doorway, following her as she stepped out onto the porch. “Sam, even with the snow tires, I was barely able to make it down the icy road I came in on.” He paused a moment, hoping that his statement was sinking in. Jack continued, “I almost went off the road too. Sam, come back inside.”

She looked down the road, contemplating hiking now that she knew what direction the road was, she could make it to the highway and from there… She looked back at Jack, who motioned her to follow him back inside. Seeing that he was right, Sam followed him back inside.

Now what were they both going to do? Two people not wanting to be around anyone else, at least not today and definitely not tomorrow - Christmas. Sam shut the door, took off her jacket and went over and stood by the fire. Jack picked up his gear that he had left by the door, and went up the two stairs to the bedroom closet and started to put it away. Sam didn't know what to
do with herself. She wandered around the small one room cabin. She looked at the pictures of Jack – different ones, most of them were while he was doing something like playing hockey, or skiing, or fishing. He always looked so happy and content. ‘I wish I was feeling just a fraction of that right now.’ She thought. Sam noticed a couple of books on a nearby shelf and went over to read the titles. Most of them were of astronomy and fishing books, a couple of Jack’s favorite hobbies.

Stepping back into the main living area of the cabin, Jack walked over to the large cooler he had brought in. “You want a beer?” Jack invited.

She didn't really want one, but accepted anyways. Sam absently took down one of his Astronomy books and sat back down on the couch. Curling back up into the blanket, she opened the book.

“Here ya go.” Jack handed her the beer, watching and worrying. ‘She looks so sad and depressed. I hate seeing her like this.’ He looked at her a few moments longer, and asked himself again. ‘Why is she here?’

“Thank you sir.” She said absently taking the beer.

“Jack.” He said. “We’re alone.” He said trying to help her feel at ease.

“I know.” She said, feeling tension in the room.

Neither wanted to be with anyone else, let alone speak to each other. Sam took a sip from the beer and started to read. Jack went back up to the storage area and pulled down some skis. He started working on the bindings, tuning them up. He was hoping to get some skiing in tomorrow. Out in the fresh mountain air - escape everything. ‘Just me and the powder, clean and white.’ Jack let his thoughts drift for a moment, and unconsciously started to think ‘I’m dreaming of a white Christmas… ‘ Groaning, he gave himself a mental shake and told himself to stop it! Interrupting his thoughts, Jack heard a small sniffle coming from Sam’s direction. He looked up and watched her from across the room. He watched her just turning the pages, not really reading or looking at anything. Just going through the motions. He saw her sniff again and wiping a tear away. She was so depressed, he realized. He wanted to help, but didn't know how. He grabbed the tissue box from the bathroom and walked over setting it down on the end table next to her. He sat down on the hearth once more and just waited hoping for a clue on how to help his troubled and stranded friend.

She absently took a tissue and wiped her eyes. Looking at him, she saw a man that she knew was not always patient, but was trying now.

Jack blindly took stab in the dark. "Sam, how long has it been for you?

Turning another page in the book, she heaved a heavy sigh and said "3 years."

‘Three years! Wow.’ “What happened?”

“Frontal assault, is that your tactic, sir?” Sam said sadness into anger and directing it at the closest person near her.

“It works for me”, he quipped hoping to lighten the mood.

“Not on me it doesn’t!” Sam attacked him not realizing what she was doing.

“For crying out loud, Sam!” He said getting offended. "I can't fix it if I don't know what's wrong."

"It's not yours to fix.” She snapped at him and added “Sir” as an after-thought.

‘Whoa! This lady is carrying a lot of anger,’ he didn't know was there.

She continued to challenge his gaze, but all he did was return her gaze with one that was caring and confused. She couldn't help it any longer. She started to cry. Jack slid over onto the couch next to her and pulled her into his arms.

“I'm sorry sir... I don’t...”

“I know... I know Honey, Shh…” He tried to comfort her, just holding her and telling her all will be all right.

Sam tried to pull away. Crying in her CO's arms was not professional. He just tightened his grip on her, not letting her go. It was a small attempt at freedom, but she gave in and welcomed the strength and warmth of his arms around her.

Sam's tears soon subsided and Jack asked. "Are you ready to tell me why your escaping Christmas?” She didn’t lift her head, but he felt her nod.

“I haven’t told anyone... Mark knows...”

“Your brother?”

“Yes. He knows what happened but...”

“Go on. What happened?”

She paused not on purpose but she didn't know where to start, or if she started was she going to start crying uncontrollably again?

“Take your time, Sam. I'm here.” He could feel her begin to relax and take a deep breath.

“Three years ago, I was stationed in D.C.. I was going out with Tom and...”

“Tom?,” Jack asked, not knowing who this guy was.

Not hearing his questions, but answering anyways, she continued. “He happened to be my neighbor in the apartments I was living at. He was a great guy. He was a lawyer on Senator Keely's staff…”

“Was?” Jack was beginning to see hints of what happened.

“Yes.” She sniffed recalling the memories once again.

“Go ahead. What happened?”

“We got very close, very quickly. We had only been dating for a few months when he proposed to me.”

Jack was taken back by that comment. ‘Sam married – that would ruin everything.’ He knew that the woman in his arms as exciting and sexy but he only knew of one other engagement. Jonas - and she had called that one off. It made Jack wonder, ‘Did Tom come first or did Jonas?’ “Nothing wrong with being proposed to...” Jack said trying to comfort.

“No. It was wonderful.” Sam said with a hit of happiness once again in her voice, remembering the good times she had then. “He took me to his parents house for Christmas and I had no idea he was going to ask me to marry him. I was so shocked. I accepted right then and there.”

“Sounds beautiful, and… romantic, I guess. But definitely nothing to cry over...”

Jack was right it had been very romantic Sam reminisced, but she hasn’t finished. "He died in a car crash a week later, New Year's Eve. “ She started crying again, between sobs, she continued with her story. Now that she was actually talking she couldn’t stop. “A week after he proposed…. He went to pick up… some ice for the party we were throwing… and some more snacks... A drunk driver, oh god… a drunk driver slammed into his driver's side door…. The police… they told me he died on impact ….and didn’t suffer.”

“Oh God Sam. I'm so sorry. I had no idea.”

She didn’t hear his words of comfort. She just felt the need to get it all out in the open. “We had decorated our apartments together…. We set up a Christmas tree in my apartment and strung lights. We went all out, presents and mistletoe…. The whole works that Christmas…. Oh God Jack, I was so happy and then he died! Murdered by a damn drunk driver!” She started to cry
again and he just pulled her in tighter into his arms, letting her know that he was there for her. He knew that she was getting rid of a couple of year’s worth of pent up hate and sorrow that she had bottled up.

After awhile she started to calm down and looked up at him. She saw the shared pain on his face. Feeling sympathy for him, “You had some good Christmases with Charlie?” She asked.

Jack let go of her like she was diseased. He got up and picked the poker back up and started jabbing at the coals again.

She felt guilty and started to apologize. “I'm sorry. I shouldn't have…”

“No. It's all right. You shared your reason. I guess it's my turn now. Just give me a moment.” He needed more time… he didn’t want to think about it. More time. He was angry with her for bring up Charlie. But, looking over to her tear streaked face, he also respected her – in more ways than just this one. At least she had opened up to him with her hurt, trusted him with her
secret. At least she had an understanding of why he didn't want to make nice on Christmas.

“I... I can't forgive myself, and what I did to Charlie.” He begin blaming himself once again. “And… when Christmas time comes around it makes it all come back to me. I can't forget how much he loved Christmas. The year before…” Jack got choked up. "We gave him his first new bike. He loved that bike so much.” He paused again reflecting, his anger building. “I lost my whole family because I left my gun where he could get to it.”

Jack suddenly got up, grabbed his coat and left. Sam rushed after him but his strides were longer and he was out the door quickly. Watching him from the window, she thought he was going to drive away and leave her stranded at his cabin. But he just grabbed his ax from the back of the truck. Then, she feared that he was going to hurt himself because of the memories he had
recalled. She watched him go over to the woodpile and started to hack into one of the larger stumps. Slowly starting to breath again, she watched for a few minutes longer, satisfied that her fears were unfounded.

With each strike of the ax into the frozen stump Jack cursed. He cursed at himself, he cursed at Christmas, he cursed at guns and he cursed at Sam. He was taking his pain out on the stump and tearing up his hands in the process. But all he could feel at the time was hate. He took his jacket off after a few minutes and kept on chopping into the wood.

Sam could hear the rhythmic hitting of the ax against the wood. She was glad that at least he had an outlet for his anger. She had finally cried, that was always the hardest part every year. It didn't solve her problems, but at least it was a started the temporary healing process. She peeked out the window at him when the chopping stopped. But Jack was only moving another large stump into his sights. Sam decided that she'd follow in Jack's example. She grabbed her coat and went out to help by stacking all the wood. She didn't say anything to him, and he unconsciously appreciated that. They just worked side-by-side, building up the woodpile and a good sweat.

Most of Jack's anger had dissipated when he finally noticed Sam working along side him. He'd guessed that she needed the physical outlet too. After a few minutes of working, he offered her the ax handle to see if she wanted a go at the frozen stump. She declined but taking a look at his ripped up hands she gasped. ‘How could he still be grabbing the handle with his skin like that?’ She thought

“Look at your hands Jack.”

“What? Oh. They get like this every time. I always forget to wear my gloves at first.”

“Let me take a look at them.” She worked her way over to him, dropping the armload of wood.

“They’re fine. I'll be fine.” She gently reached out to his displayed hands and touched them. It stung at bit, but her touch was tender and warm. Soothing.

“Let me put something on them.”

“No it’s okay. I'll just take the sting out with some ice... or at least some snow.” He picked up a handful of snow and reflexively started to form a ball. Sam shrugged her shoulders and picked up the discarded pieces of wood. Once she stood up, she felt a splat of a snowball hitting her in the back. She turned around in shock.

“What the-”

Another hit her right in the chest.

“Oh? You want to play, eh?”

Another flew over her head as she was bending down to grab a handful of ammo for herself. She stood up and chucked one at Jack - missing because he had taken up a position behind a tree trunk.

“Hey!” She called. “Come back here!”

He peeked around the tree and almost got hit in the face with Sam's snowball, but it hit the trunk and splattered Jack in the face. “Just as good!” Sam laughed out loud, and got another one right in the chest.

Sam ducked behind the truck trying to out maneuver Jack. She quickly lined up four more snowballs on the bumper in preparation for her attack. She peeked over the truck's bed liner and got one right in the face. Gagging she brushed the snow from her face, grabbed one of her snowballs, and got ready to throw. But Jack was upon her position, in two strides away, with a
snowball in each hand. One for each stride Sam guessed. One hit her shoulder, while the one that she threw in retaliation went long over Jack's head. She turned to retreat but it was too late, Jack had tackled her, sending both flying into a snowdrift. Jack had a special place for his other snowball - down Sam's shirt.

“Ack! That's cold. Stop it!” She howled.

“That's because it's snow.” He said smashing it into her body.

“Get off me!”

“Sure, ya betcha. Now that I won! Oh, by the way, I told you months ago that I was going to get back at you for cheating. Well, there ya go. I win!” He said triumphantly as he rolled off her, getting up.

“Damn. Now I'm soaking wet. Thanks a lot Jack.”

“My pleasure”, he laughed.

She looked up at his smiling face and started to laugh too. It felt good to laugh once again. ‘What a roller coaster of emotions,’ she thought.

Sam got up wary of Jack, and the possibility of another attack. Still smiling at him but feinting being upset, “Look at me. I'm soaked! If I catch a cold I hope I give it to you!”

“What kind of threat is that?” He retorted laughing.

She laughed because she knew that it failed.

“Come on lets get you inside. Grab some wood.”

“Oh great! You pummel me with snowballs and now you want me to work too? Lovely.”

“Just grab some on your way in so it can start drying.” They both hauled in armload of wood in and stack it next to the fireplace.

“Go change Sam, before you do catch that cold.”

“Um Jack?”

“Yeah?”

“These were my extra cloths. The ones that I was wearing earlier are not dry yet.” She pointed across the room, indicating her clothes that were hanging over the chair.

“Oh well. Go get something of mine.” He pointed up to the bedroom. He went out to get more wood, and grab their discarded jackets, making a few more trips to fill the wood box for over night.

Sam went up to the closet and pulled out some sweats. She went into the bathroom to change and decided to take a shower. The heated water felt good, unfortunately it only lasted for five minutes. With a shock, she quickly got out and got dressed.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

“Found out the hard way about the hot water, eh?”

“Yeah. Anything else I should know?”

“No. That's about it. Oh, except that we only have candlelight for light.”

“Why?”

“Never got electricity rigged up here. No need.”

“Oh. No heat then. “

“Only from the fire.”

“How cozy.”

“Yep. I like it.”

Sam was sitting on the fireplace’s hearth drying her hear with a towel, getting warm. Jack just watched fascinated and even mesmerized by her motions. Needing a distraction, he cleared his throat and stood up. “Want something to drink? Beer?”

“No. Something warm would be nice though.”

“Hot Chocolate?”

“Perfect!” She smiled.

Jack was glad he had something to do. He had found himself getting dangerously close wanting to grab Sam up and kiss her. He had calmed down by that time he brought her drink back to her. "Interested in dinner yet?”

“Sure. Want some help? I thought you couldn't cook?”

“I can't. But I can warm up stew with the best of them.”

“Oh. Well, what can I do?” They walked over to the tight kitchen and that's when she noticed it was an old wood stove. She asked, “Where’d the hot water come from?”

“An old-timer showed me how to rig the water pipes so the heat from the fireplace heats the tank. In the summer the tank gets heated directly with the sun, so it works out then too.”

“Hmm. Okay. So what's first?”

“I'll take care of the stew. You cut the bread. Here’s the butter. Put a lot on mine.” He instructed.

They fixed their meal and sat back down next to the fire to eat. Jack thought back over the number of women he'd known. Particularly Sarah. He recalled she always needed to fill the empty space with words. She was always talking. It was nice he thought sitting here with Sam. Just sitting, no need to talk. It was peaceful.

Sam was thinking about how to thank Jack for not throwing her out on her ear for invading his privacy. If she brought it up, she thought would it happen anyways? So she just kept to her self.

After they finished eating, they sat watching the flames. Each to their own thoughts. The darkness of evening fell around them, the only light coming from the fireplace.

“Sam? Are you sleeping?”

“No. But I could. I didn't realize I was so exhausted.”

“Hmm. Snowball fights can do that.” She was glad he didn't mention everything else.

“Why don't you take the bed? I'll sleep here on the couch.”

“Oh-No. I couldn't. I've already barged in where I wasn't welcome and –“

“Wait a minute. Who said you weren't welcome here? I'm glad your here. Now. I'll sleep here. You take the bed.”

“No sir. I wouldn't feel comfortable with that. You take your bed.”

“Fine. I'm not going to argue.”

“Good.” She was happy she'd won that. ‘He was too tall to get a good nights rest on the couch,’ she thought, even though she was sure he'd sacked out there many times before.

Jack stoked up the fire one last time for the night and said, "'Night"

“Good Night Jack.”

A couple of hours later, Sam found herself getting cold. She tried to snuggle down into the blankets further but it wasn't helping. She wandered up to Jack's bed and crawled in, forgetting that he was even there.

In the morning, Jack found him self spooned up to a warm body. Wondering if his fears had come true, and that he had gone out on a drinking binge—What he got him self into the night before? He slowly opened one eye, hoping if anything he was just dreaming. He opened both eyes and took a deep breathed. Fresh clean blonde hair next to his nose, and his arms were wrapped around her waist. If he was dreaming, now he didn’t want to wake up. Not yet. His arms anchored themselves around Sam's waist. What was she doing next to him in his bed? He began to remember, she fell asleep on the couch. He picked his head up a bit and looked past her over to the couch and fireplace. That explains it. She let the fire burn out. He didn't know whether to be happy or angry that she'd let the fire burn out. It was so hard to start, she should know better. Sam started to stir and Jack just squeezed his arms to hug her. “Shhh sleep some more Sam.” He whispered. And he was happy that she complied at least for a few more minutes.

Sam heard her name in the depths of her sleep and started to wake up. Her first conscience thought was that it was her Colonel that had said her name. And then she felt arms holding her and the length of her back leaning up against someone. It was heavenly thought, but she couldn’t remember where she was.

“Sam?”

“What?”

“You awake?” She heard Jack now and remembered.

“How?” She asked.

“You must have gotten cold.”

“Hmm. Wouldn't be the first time.”

He smiled and leaned his head down in to the back of her hair. “I have to admit I'm enjoying this time a whole lot better than the last.” Jack smiled.

“Me too.” She stifled a giggle.

“And that's even a pleasant sound now too.”

“I thought you didn't like me giggling.”

“I love it right now.” Jack said into her hair.

Sam turned over and snuggled up to Jack, putting her head on his shoulder. She hummed with contentment. He tilted his head down and placed a kiss on her forehead.

She looked up at him and he started to worry that she was going to back away from him. He was looking in her deep blue eyes, drowning once more. Jack leaned down and kissed her on her lips. Their kiss started out being a soft tentative kiss but, it soon took on a heat of it’s own, quickly becoming a reckless passionate kiss. Her senses reeled; wanting and needing his touch.
She pressed not only her lips to Jack's but also her whole body.

Jack grabbed her and pushed her away. Her smoky blue eyes opened to him and her lips swollen. She was gorgeous and he needed her. But he wanted to make sure she knew what she was doing. What they were doing.

“Jack?” Sam asked unsure of the sudden distancing.

“Are you sure Honey?”

“Yes.” She said expressing all her needs and wants in one single word.

Jack furiously pulled her back to him, pressing his tongue between her lips, asking her to open up to him. She did. He ran his tongue over her teeth, exploring her mouth. She felt his hands all over her body exploring, searching, finding. She led her own search with her hands over his strong body. One minute they were both clothed in their sweats they wore from the night before, and the next she was as naked as he was. She had a vague sense of ripping at his cloths as he had done to hers.

She was on top of him with no memory of getting there. She slid over him, gasping in delight. She bent her head and kissed him again. A sound of exquisite pleasure escaped her lips when Jack cupped her breast in his hands.

He had enough of her torturing him. Jack flipped Sam down on her back; it was her turn to be lovingly tortured. He placed kisses trailing up her thigh to her belly. She trembled beneath each fiery kiss. He stopped and suckled on her breast. Taking pleasure and giving.

“Oh Jack I need you,” Sam moaned.

He looked into her eyes and could see the lust that was driving her. He slid into her, and she welcomed him.

Jack pressed his full body weight into Sam's and she welcomed it and the power that came with it.

He looked into her eyes. She wanted him. “Please” she begged him.

He sank deeper and felt her heat. He surged, pushing further and faster into her. They stared into each other’s faces, met in each other’s eyes. It was wondrous and they knew it. It was heady and magical. They caught each other with desperate hands and their hearts aching as they held each other tight.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Jack pulled the blanket up over them to keep the cold from invading their loving cocoon.

“Sam?” Jacked asked a bit worried.

“Hmm?” She purred contently.

“Are you okay?”

“That was marvelous. I feel great. More than great. I'm happy.”

Jack realized that he was happy too. “Sleep for a while longer and I'll build the fire back up in a few minutes.”

“Okay,” she said already slipping into a content slumber.

He just held her the whole time while she slept. ‘This has got to be dream, I'm too happy. He thought amazed with himself …and with Sam. “ Today is Christmas and I'm happy.’ He started to hum Jingle Bells to him self-hoping he would not wake Sam up.

Hearing his humming Sam looked at him, "Happy?"

“You bet.” Jack started to get out of bed to stoke up the fire for her. But leaned over to Sam and kissed her again. “Time to get up…”

“Why?” She asked, there was nothing to do today.

“Well, we got to build that fire up that you let die. Besides, I'm hungry-” he announced.

“I know what I'm hungry for...” she teased, reaching her warm hands out, caressing his chest.

“Don't say for more... Not Yet.”

Sam looked back from the warm bed hurt.

“You're insatiable!”

“Me?” She flirted. Her hands playfully slid down to his waist.

“Who was it that just finished ravishing this tired old body?”

“I don't know. Who?” She giggled

“Well, let me see,” Jack said as he reached a hand under the covers. “I think she was about your size. And yes. Right here the most incredible thing happened when I touched her right here in this particular spot. Oh Yes,” he added as Sam inhaled and arched against him "exactly like that."

Sam pulled Jack's still naked body back down to her and attempted to flip him over onto his back. Being stronger Jack resisted. Jack easily straddled Sam subduing her. But he knew she didn’t know what was coming next.

“So?”

“Hmm?” Her eyes looked passionately back at him.

“I think.. You need to be tickled…” He started tickling her and she was trapped beneath him trying to get away. She tried to tickle him back at the same time, but her attempts failed. Jack had the upper hand so her tickling attempts were useless. Jack had hoped that she was ticklish, but he hadn’t realized just how ticklish actually she was. This was more fun than he
expected. She was laughing so hard she was having a hard time catching her breath. "Stop. Please, Jack. Stop." she begged.

He got off her mercifully grabbing his robe and walked over to the fireplace and started working on the fire.

She watched him walk away. Strong and sexy. She was in... It caught in her mind like going fast over a speed hump. She was in love with Jack. Truly, Madly, falling-and-don't-help-me-up-In Love with Jack. She got out of bed, put on her discarded sweats she had been wearing early walked up behind Jack and draped her arms around his neck, hugging him from behind. He sat
monitoring the process of the fire, catching Sam's arms accepting her hug. The morning was beautiful. He couldn't imagine or dream of a more perfect way to start Christmas day. He started wondering if Sam felt the same way? He decided to find out, risking everything.

Holding his breath, he whispered. "Merry Christmas Sam."

Laying her lips on his ear, she whispered, "Merry Christmas Jack."

He pulled her around to his lap and looked into her eyes. She was returning his love.

“Oh!” Jack said suddenly, like a little kid on Christmas morning. “I have a gift for you. I've been holding on to it for a while, trying to find the right time to give it to you.” He got up and slipped on his boots and ran out to the truck. She was sitting on the couch curled back into the blanket she had left there from the night before. Jack ran back in and plowed under the blanket to get warm against her.

“Jack…My...”

“Shh… This is for you.”

“Thank you,” she accepted his gift. “I was about to say...”

“Open it.” He said excited.

She opened the package and pulled out the picture of them kissing at the wedding. She touched it reverently, remembering that wonderful evening. But it couldn’t truly compare to this moment. ‘It was a beautiful picture,’ she thought.

“This is beautiful Jack. Thank you.” She paused. “Yours is back at my office.” She said.

“What?” He wasn't sure what she had said. “Mine?”

She looked at him and said, “I got the same picture for you.” Returning back to the picture, she ran her hand down the wooden frame. “Different frame though.” She laughed. Once he figured out what she was talking about, joined her laughter.

“But I was trying to tell you something else.”

“What?”

“I was about to say my only wish has come true.”

“What was your wish?”

“I didn't realize it at the time but my wish, my Christmas wish came true. I wished for someone… Someone I was in love with to spend Christmas with me.”

“Oh Sam I-“ he exclaimed happy, but she didn’t see or hear him.

“No. Don't worry Jack. It doesn't have to be reciprocated. It's just that you are my gift.”

He turned her head to look into her eyes and smiled down at her and said. “You are my gift too. I wanted the same thing.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
.
.
.

Okay… everyone join me with an ‘Ahhhhh”. =] I hope you liked it. It was my first attempt at some angst.