samandjack.net

Story Notes: E-mail: islandflower202@yahoo.com


"Sam are you feeling ok?" Daniel asked as he and Sg-1 just arrived back on Earth. "Yeah Daniel; I'm fine." Sam said tiredly. "Colonel Carter, I have to disagree, you do seem to not look like normal." Teal'c said observing Carter's complexion. "Carter I think you should go see Dr. Fraiser." Jack suggested also agreeing with the other two men. "Sir, with all do respect I think I'm fine; I probably just need sleep." Carter said trying not to seem too tired. "Well then Carter I order you to go home and ...get better." The Colonel said while holding the elevator door open.

(At Sam's House)

" Well now that I'm "ordered" to stay home I better catch up on some......" Suddenly Sam collasped on the floor. When she woke up about three hours later she couldn't see. "What in the world is wrong with me?" She asked to herself franticlly. "I know my eyes are open, but why can't I see anything?" "Maybe it's just allergies. I'll just take a nap and when I wake up maybe I'll be able to see."

(The Next Morning -Some Nap!-)

"Oh man I've got the biggest head ache ever." She opened her eyes to find out she was still blind. Starting to cry a little Sam tried to find the house phone. She has Daniel Teal'c and Jack's phone number on speed dail. She tried to remember where she was and how to get to her phone. Finially she found it and pushed a number. The phone rang until she heard Jack's answering machine. She left a message trying not to sound like she was crying.

(Jack's House)

"Sick on Saturday. Great! I was soo hoping to go fishing but no I'm sick with laryngitis. Sheez my voice sounds like a cross between a chipmunk and a someone who has just sucked helium in." He walked over to where his phone is and saw the blinking red light meaning he has a message. He click the play message button and heard........."Mr. O'Neill, this is the movie rental store calling about that Mcgyver DVD that you still have your late fee is $4.50 and will increase until you pay. Thank you, Goodbye." " Oops I forgot I still had that awsome DVD still here. I'll go buy it later."

The light on his answering machine was still blinking the red light. "Wow two messages in one day this better not cost me." Jack said rembering last months phone bill. This message said........"Umm Sir, this is Carter. Umm I have a problem. I can't see anything; I'm blind, and I'm scared. Jack if you get this please help." When Jack heard that he didn't even think of giving a call that he was coming over.

Right now Jack felt like the usual 5-8 minute ride to Sam's house seemed like hours. "I feel bad I should of told Dr. Fraiser that she looked sick. It's all my fault." While almost two minutes away Jack remebered that he was sick with laryngitis. "Oh great I'm going to sound stupid."

(Finially At Sam's House)

Sam gave Jack, Daniel, and Teal'c each a copy of her house key in case of emergencies.

He opened the door and walked through the hallway to Sam's living room. Sam heard somone open the door and she yelled," Who's there?" He started to walk over toward her when Sam yelled. "Stop, don't come any closer who ever you are." He looked at her and said, "Carter it's me I'm here to help." She backed up scooting herself back into a corner. "Who are you get away from me! She yelled while crying. "Sir please help me. Where are you?" He was confused and he answered back, " Carter I'm right here." "No you're not Jack !"

He walked over to her and tried to clear his throat his best to make it sound like him. Sam shot up and just swung her right fist out hitting whoever was coming towards her. She punched him right in his jaw. " Leave me alone. Sir help!!! Please!!" "I am Jack don't hit. Don't hit me!" Jack said cracking his voice. Out of defense Sam started punching and kicking whatever was in her path. She tripped him and heard him fall on the floor so she immediatly searched for his head and put him in a head-lock. "Owwww Carter stop!! That's an order!" He yelled trying to get loose from her grip. "You're not Jack. You are trying to hurt me!" She stood up and droped him on the floor . He gasped for air and then when he got his breath back she kicked him in the stomach and started yelling for help. "Sam ..............stop...........it's me Jack.............." "Then prove it to me." Sam said yelling and crying at the same time. "Ok you're a Colonel in the Air Force. You're on a Team called Sg-1. Teal'c and Daniel, you and I go through the Stargate almost everyday!" He said back to Sam now in a calmer but still wierd voice. "Oh my...... Jack .......I mean....Sir ........I'm sorry .......but your voice.......?!" "For the past couple of days my throat has been a little sore but when I woke up this morning, I sounded like...this. He helped her stand up and walked her over to the kitchen. "Here. You sit here and I'll go make you somthing to eat." "Thank you Sir." "No problem Carter, I'm sure you would do the same if I was ..." She knew the rest of his sentance and and tried to smile to make it seem like it didn't bother her.

...Eggs? Do you like eggs? He said changing the subject. "Yes Sir." she said softly. "Than how do you like them?" he asked. "Scrambled." She said wondering if he could even cook. "Ok, now I'm not the best cook but I think I can handle making eggs." He said making her smile again.

"What is so funny?" He asked curiously. "I'm sorry Sir, it's just... your voice!"She said laughing hard which made him laugh also.

"Alright the eggs are done. Salt? Pepper? " " Neither." She replied while he put the salt and pepper back. He got her a drink when suddenly the door bell rang.

Teal'c and Daniel showed up at Sam's house. "I got it." He said walking over to the front door and looks out the peek hole. He sees Daniel and Teal'c with donuts and opens the door. "Who is it?" Sam asked. "Colonel Carter, are you feeling better? Teal'c asked holding the donut box out toward her. "Teal'c, Daniel can we talk over here for a second!?" Jack said preparing to tell them about Sam's condition.

After telling Teal'c and Daniel, Jack walked over back to Sam and said, " What would you like to do today?" "Yeah Sam we will take you anywhere you want to go." Daniel said trying to be comforting. After the three men being there for about three hours within that time frame the had asked her if she was alaright about forty times. (Most of which were from Jack.) "Maybe you should go see Dr. Fraiser." Daniel said breaking the silence of the room. "You don't have to Carter, but maybe she can help." Jack said with concern. "Ok, I'll go." She said thinking of how her life would change if she stayed blind.



Now at the SCG; In Dr. Fraiser's Office.

"Good afternoon Sg-1." Dr. Fraiser said welcoming them in on a Saturday. "Hi Sam, Cassie is so excited about going bowling with you next Friday; that's all she's been talking..." She stopped in the middle of her sentance and notice that Sam was crying. "Sam what's wrong?" She asked quickly. "Umm...I'm blind." Sam said while still crying. "What? How? Come here." Dr. Fraiser walked over to her and gave her a hug.

Jack told Fraiser all about what he knew. "Ok Sam, I'm going to put pressure on your head, tell me which spot hurts." Janet started to apply pressure on her forehead and she asked if it hurt; she said no. Then when she slightly pushed the back of her head Sam felt a sharp pain and she said, "Yes, that hurts!" "Ok Sam. Do you remember falling or hitting your head recently?" Janet asked while jotting some things down on her paper. "Umm... I don't remember." Sam said trying to recall what did happen when she got home. "Carter what happened before you called me?" Jack asked trying to make somthing click. "I remember cleaing up around the house and doing other chores . Ummm I think I passed out and hit my head on the coffee table. She said sadly. "Well, I did notice a knot on the back of your head. And I think you might have a concussion causing your blindness." Janet said seeing the concerned faces of the three men. "Dr. Fraiser, is it possible that Colonel Carter could regain her sight?" Teal'c asked sounding concerned for Carter. "It's possible with surgery but her sight could regain on its own. And the surgery is a very delicate task.. I mean that it's possible that the surgery may not even work; but it's definitely worth a try." Janet said noticing Jack's fear of loosing somone very dear to him and that he loves. "Carter the decision is completely up to you." "Yes Sir, I know. I think I will wait a while before I make my decision." She said as she stood up to leave. "Ok Sam, but you know we are all here for you." Daniel said as he picked up her hand. "I'd like to go home now, please." Sam said gently. "I'll take you home." Said Janet.

Now at Sam's house.

"Can I do anything for you Sam? Are you hungry? Can I get you somthing to eat? Janet asked frequently. "No Janet I'm fine, really." Sam said stressing really. After about a week of being waited on hand and foot, Sam was tired of being the "helpless one."

"Sam do you like hot sauce on your spaghetti?" Janet asked while looking in the refrigerator. "Janet I'm fine!" She snapped back. "Sorry Sam I ..."

"No, Janet I'm sorry. I'm just tired of feeling incapable of doing things myself." Sam said interrupting her. "Ok Sam, well I need to be getting home to Cassie anyway." "Thanks for all your help. Bye." Sam said finding the lock on the door and locking it.

(Sam's Thoughts)

Finially! I can do things on my own. Suddenly the phone rang and she made her way to where she knew the phone was. After searching for the "talk" button for a few seconds she found it and answered the call. "Hello?" "Hey Carter." "Hi Sir, Is everything alright?" "Yeah." "How are you? Ok dumb question. Knowing that she would smile. Hearing the sound over the phone he asked, "Are you laughing at me?" "Sorry Sir." She said still trying to contain her laugh. "What have I told you about giggling?" Jack said now joining her in a laugh. "And by the way is Danny-Boy there?" "No Sir." She said proudly. "Is doc there?" "No Sir. I'm by myself. " Silence falls over the conversation and Jack says, "Sam you know you shouldn't be by yourself!" "SIR, I'm perfectly capable of taking care of myself." She snapped back. "I'm not saying that you can't handle yourself but..." "Sir, I can do practically do anything else so I think I can handle being blind! Now if you'll excuse me, I'm go now unless you don't think I am capable of hanging up!" "I'm sorry..." She hung up the phone n the middle of his sentance.

(10 mins later)

After cooling her temper she wondered what things she could do on her own. She decided to take a shower. For being blind she didn't see the bar of soap laying on the shower floor. She slipped on the bar of soap and fell and hit her head and her arm.

(20 mins later)

The phone rings and no one is there to answer so the person leaves a message saying, "Hi Sam, it's Daniel...I was just calling to check up on you; I heard you wanted to be alone for awhile so maybe your sleeping but give me a call back later. Thanks, Bye."

(Now at Daniel's house)

"Hi Janet." Daniel said kind of worried. "Hi Daniel." "Hey, I called Sam about 10 minutes ago and no one answered." He replied.

"Well she's probably sleeping." Janet said trying to comfort Daniel. "Maybe, but I think I should go check on her." "You know Daniel, she wanted to be by herself." Janet said trying to assure him Sam was fine. "Yes, but she could need help or somthing." "Ok Daniel, but if she gets mad at you I'll have to say I told you so." Janet said with a few laughs in between. "Bye Janet." He said sarcastically.

(Back at Sam's house)

The door bell rings and after waiting about one minute there was no answer. So Daniel looked for the key to Sam's house and opened the door. He heard the shower running and he figured she was in the shower when he called . "Sam? Sam it's me, Daniel. I'm just checking on you. Are you in there?" Finding the silience quite awkard, he pushed open tge door and called out her name again. He covered his eyes and walked in. Thinking of the worst that could have happened; he opened his eyes and carefully pulled back the shower curtain and saw Sam unconscious on the shower floor. "Holy Crap! Sam!" Daniel reached for his cell phone and called Janet. "Ok Daniel I'll be at the SGC in ten minutes."

As Daniel carried a half-clothed Carter. Jack pulled up in Sam's drive way. "Jack help Sam's hurt!" Daniel cried. "Daniel what in the world did you do to her?" Jack yelled almost loosing it. "I didn't do anything. She must had fell when she was in the shower. Jack just move your truck and we will go." Daniel said frustrated. "No it's faster to just take my truck." "But Jack..." "Danny get in, shut up, and don't touch anything!"

(At the Infirmary)

"Janet, what could another blow to the head do when you already are blind?" Jack said carrying Carter to the nearest gurney. "Oh no she didn't fall and hit her head again did she?" Janet asked while putting on gloves. "Yes, I think so. I found her in the shower unconscious. She must have slipped and hit her head." Daniel answered back. "Too much pressure in her head could cause brain damage or cause her to remain permanently blind. We have to do immediate surgery." Janet said while preparing for the surgery.

(Three Hours Later)

Dr. Fraiser walked out of the operating room and said, "We won't knowfor sure if the surgery worked until she becomes conscious again." "How long could that be?" Jack asked concerned. "Possibly hours, days, or even years. There is no definate time frame."

(One Week Later)

"Sam please wake up. I can't let you die...you don't deserve this. If only I wouldn't have been so harsh; you could possibly not be in this problem." Jack stated almost in tears. "Teal'c do you want to say anything to Carter? It could make her happy to hear from you." Jack said walking Teal'c into the room. "I did not think the human brain could remember such conversations when being unconscious; but I will talk to Colonel Carter anyway." Teal'c said walking over to the pale, motionless figure lying in the bed. "Colonel Carter, I think it would be wise to wake up... for O'Neill has not had much sleep since you have had your surgery. While Sg-1 is not on active duty, I will go back to Chu'lak to see my family for a while. Good bye Colonel Carter." Teal'c said trying to be most sympathetic.

The only time Jack left Sam is when Janet insisted that he sleep or go eat or do somthing to get his mind off Sam. Jack went to the commisary for lunch and when he came back he saw Daniel holding Sam's hand. Jealousy swept over Jack. (Daniel let go of her! Stop holding MY colonel's hand!) Those were the words that kept running through his mind, but all that came out was, "Excuse me!" Daniel quickly let go of Sam's hand and left.

(Three Days Later)

"General, we have noticed some more brain activity and Sam's breathing on her own now. At this rate, she could wake up at anytime." Dr. Fraiser said to Jack in his office. "Thankyou. I will have to say good bye for three days." Jack said hanging up the phone. "Sorry Sir, I didn't know you were on the phone. But where are you going?" Janet asked. "I'm being ordered to leave the SGC for a couple of days, so I'll have to say good bye to Sam."

(Infirmary)

Jack walked over to Sam's bed and picked up her hand and held it in his. He bent down and kissed her on the cheek and whispered somthing in her ear. As he started to pull away to leave he felt her tighten her grip on his hand a little. Jack dropped his bags and sat down beside her. "Sam, can you hear me?" She made no movements. "Sam if you can hear me squeeze my hand." About ten seconds later he felt her tighten her grip again. "Sam, ok I know you can hear me. Please wake up! I can't stand to see you lke this! He sat there for about 15 more minutes and then finally stood up. As he was about to leave he heard his name called. "Jack." A quiet soft voice said. He went back over to her and hear his name again. "Jack." "I'm hear Sam...just wake up...open your eyes." Jack impatiently waited for a response. About three minutes passed and he kept saying "open your eyes". She twitched her eyes a couple of times and then finally opened them. "Sam! Can you see?" In the few short moments that seemed like hours she said, "Jack...I...can...see!" Now in tears she said,"I love you too!" "You heard me?" Jack asked happily. "Yes. I've waited so long to hear yo say that. She said weakly. "And

I've waited so long to say that." Jack said before he kissed her on the lips now.

(A couple of weeks later)

After working with Sam to get her strength back Jack just seemed so much more happier. "Why did it take you so long for you to say that you love me?" Sam asked while holding Jack's hand. "I don't know but what I do know is that I DO love you and Sam you have a mad right hook! I wonder who taught you how to punch like that?!" Jack said teasing Sam. "I don't know it just came to me!" Sam teased back. "Hey! I thought it was the wonderful, best, handsome general that you love that taught you that." "And who could that be?!" Sam joked back. And before he could respond he grabbed him and kissed him to make him not be mad at her!





THE END!