samandjack.net

Story Notes: Category: POV. Future. Romance.

Spoilers: Birthright, Chimera, kinda Heroes, kinda The Lost City.

Season/sequel: Season 7 and beyond.

Author's notes: I really don't know where this fic came from. It made me melancholy writing it. Betaed by my mom.

Email: majorsallymurphy@yahoo.com


Chimera


I'm often reminded of how sappy I am, and considering the dream I'm having, I think they're right.

Cassie's graduating from college. A doctor, just like her Mom. Janet's so proud, alternating between smiling and crying profusely.

Here we sit, all my friends and family, everyone that's ever meant anything to me. I'm glad Janet's got Peter to lean on, or I would have tipped over from her stress. Jeez, I still can't believe Janet ended up with Peter. I'm glad, though, because they're a perfect couple.

Speaking of perfect couples, I can't find my husband. He must be changing Lisa's diaper again. Remind me never to try out a new baby food on her before attending a party.

Speak of the devil - and he's walking towards me with a grin. 'That' grin is what knocked me for a loop the first time I met him. Dangerous man.

But I digress. If I'm the dreamer, then it's my duty to let the tag-a-longs know what's happening. And what's happening is my Cassie is graduating from college, and God help Janet, moving away from home.

"Attention!" Jack yells, rattling a spoon against our very expensive glassware.

Lots of murmurings, but as soon as everyone's attention is on him, he continues.

"We're here to celebrate Cassie. Not only has the little squirt gone the doctor route, but she's moving to LA."

At this announcement, Janet bursts into tears. again. The woman's going to be dehydrated by the end of the evening.

"Everyone." Jack lifts his glass in a toast. "To Cassie!"

To Cassie is chorused loudly, while Peter draws Janet closer.

And here comes my favorite part of the dream.

We've all found a comfortable or convenient place to sit, while we watch Janet's home movies. Cassie's groaning through most of it, while Janet's went through kleenex box number three.

As I sit next to my husband, who's cradling our baby, my attention turns to the people in the room. I've known them for years, some being more like family than my own flesh and blood.

I hear Daniel laugh, and my attention focuses on him. I'm so glad he's finally found peace. And love. When we'd rescued Sarah, her and Daniel wasted no time on hooking up. In fact, seeing them so happy is what brought Jack and I together. Well, that, and almost losing him. Again.

The deep baritone of Teal'c's laugh brings my attention to him. Like Daniel, he's found love. Him and Ishta make a wonderful, albeit, unique couple. Many faces turn when those two visit a Mall, and I can attest to that. And to see Rya'c so grown up. if it wasn't for the small bundle in Jack's arms, I'd feel old.

And now we have Jonas, who I was pleased could pull himself away from his lab long enough to attend. He's the only one of us who's not attached at the moment, but considering that he's dating every female on the base; I don't think he's upset about the matter. He's brought a date, though. Now I know why Daniel calls him a himbo.

My eyes scan the rest of the room and I find General Hammond. He's talking with my dad and Mark. For some reason, the left side of the room has become the Carter area. And even though the general isn't a Carter per se, he's very much a second dad to me. He brought his daughter, grandkids, and a female friend, so he definitely didn't come alone. The general's dating a scientist from Area 51. I feel like I'm living the Love Boat.

As I feel a gentle caress of my hair, I lean into my husband.

This is perfect.

My friends. My family. All together.

Is this a dream?

I don't want to know really, because in my head, in my heart, all of my loved ones are still here.

As I shut my eyes a moment, I'm reminded of the end of the movie Titanic. In Rose's world, everyone lived happily, liking and loving one another.

And as I feel Jack pull me tighter against him, I know that this version is the one I'll keep.

If I'm dreaming, don't wake me up.



~finis~