samandjack.net

Story Notes: Season/sequel: Set in the future.

Spoilers: Nope.

A/N: For Nicole and Emry and my wonderfully supportive friends. This is my first non-Chimera fic in forever. I think I've made a break-through. And if you never hear from me again, it's because I'm trapped under two feet of snow!!!


"Jack?"

"Huh?"

"What are you doing?"

"Nothin'."

Ah, well, that cleared it up then. He was staring at the screen of her laptop monitor. No big deal. Except that it wasn't turned on. So, technically he really wasn't doing anything.

Okaaaaay…

"Would you like me to show you where the `on' button is?" Again.

"No, I'm fine."

Uh huh. "It generally works better with power."

"I know."

Of course he did. Of course he also had a sexy, contemplative look on his face, so it wasn't as if she could actually be angry with him for being … so… well… *him*!

"Are you sure you're okay?"

The concern in her voice compelled him to release his stare at the monitor and fix his eyes on hers. He then shook his head and turned his eyes downward.

They hadn't been living together for very long, so this was all new territory. Every look, every gesture, every sound had yet to be categorized in her mind's files. The cabinet labeled `Jack' in her head was actually quite sparse. She assumed that after living together for awhile that-

OH GOD!

Was that it? He was regretting that she had moved in with him? No evidence to support that theory really, the scientist in her reasoned, so best to stick to the facts and gather more information. Good advice in any situation, and certainly when dealing with him.

"Do you want to talk about it?" Yeah, right.

But to her surprise, he actually looked back up at her and tried to say something. It took a few seconds, but it came out nonetheless, "It's just that your computer is here. On my desk."

It *was* the moving in thing. She should have known it was going too well. Or maybe he just wanted his desk top back. She could move the laptop somewhere else. Although that really was the best place in the room. But this was about compromise, and she could do that.

His voice interrupted her train of thought, "And it was here yesterday."

Well, yes, it had been. Maybe she should call the base. Get a doctor over here.

"And it will be here tomorrow, too."

That was true, but only because she had 3 days off. In a row. No small miracle there!

"It just feels…"

Odd? Wrong? Out of place? In the way? Too big? Too small? Too black? Too noisy?

"Permanent."

So it *really* was the moving in thing. Her stuff was everywhere. Crowding him out. And he felt trapped. Damn! What now???

"I like it."

Oh.

He liked it.

Her stuff being there. In the way or not.

"I like it, too."

"I was thinking that maybe we could get you a desk and turn the spare room into your study."

He was thinking *that*? She really did have a long way to go on reading him.

"That might be nice."

"Give you more room to work. Not that I want you to work more, just that-"

"I know what you meant. And thanks."

"Sure."

"So, if you're done with that," she motioned toward the desk, "I need to use it for awhile."

He nodded and got up so that she could sit in his chair.

"I think I'll head down to that office supply store and see what they have for furniture."

"Okay. I'll be here when you get back."

Yeah, he liked that, too.