samandjack.net

Story Notes: Email: su_freund@ficwithfins.com

Website: http://www.ficwithfins.com/

Content Warnings: Use of mild language, plus use of one vulgar expletive

Pairings: Jack/Sam, Daniel/Other (Francine)

Season: 9 onwards

Spoilers: Small references to Seth, Threads and Ripple Effect

Sequel/Series Info: Sequel to Never Alone 28: Full Disclosure

Status: Continuing series

File Size: 38 KB

Archive: My site, Jackfic, SJD yes, Gateworld, FanFiction Net

Author's Note: This chapter has not been beta read, so I have not sought the wisdom of friends. I remain firmly on the path I have chosen, and hope I have not erred too much while doing so, although no doubt that will be a matter of opinion. Dedicated to those of you who have asked for more Daniel/Francine, particularly Jack's real neighbour from hell - who knows who she is! ;-)


Never Alone 29: Mismatched Pairs


The woman smiled when she saw Daniel waiting, picking up her pace, dropping her case as she reached him, and pulling him into her arms.

"I've missed you," she declared, kissing him.

Daniel blushed, but gave way to the greater force that was Francine Butler. No point fighting it, and he wasn't sure he much wanted to.

"Likewise," he agreed when she let him come up for air. Although he was self-conscious about such a public display of affection, he realised no one at the airport gave two hoots about what they were doing. Kissing and cuddling was the thing to do at an airport, that and waiting.

His years at the SGC had wrought many changes on the archaeologist, but underneath it all he was still the shy scholar he had always been, although many who knew him might find that hard to believe these days. His closest friends realised, of course, and this was one reason why they considered Francine to be cheese to his chalk, or maybe chalk to his cheese. Whatever, as his good friend Jack O'Neill might say.

As they walked through the airport to pick up his car, Francine chattered away about this and that, but Daniel wasn't really paying much attention. Once he got Jack on his mind it went wandering, concerned for his friend's welfare.

Daniel was far from stupid, and knew something must be really wrong if Jack hadn't wanted Sam to go to Chicago with him. One thing the younger man knew for sure was that Jack was totally crazy about Sam and he couldn't fathom why the man would want Sam to stay behind at such a time.

To be honest, he was more than a little pissed he hadn't even known Jack had a living relative and was shocked to hear about his mother's death, as that must have meant she was alive and kicking up until then. The man certainly played his cards close to his chest. It wasn't easy being a friend of Jack O'Neill's. He never made anything easy.

Although Jack had never talked about her, Daniel couldn't believe that Jack wasn't upset by the loss, and thus it was very odd he didn't want Sam along for moral support. It was pretty clear to him that something had happened between Jack and Sam in LA. Sam hadn't said anything, but the astute Daniel couldn't have failed to notice she was upset and distracted, however much she tried to cover it up. Hence, he was worried, about Jack, about Sam and about their relationship.

He'd tried to jolly Sam out if her mood by prattling on endlessly about Francine and her forthcoming visit, expounding at great length about the things they might do while she was there, but Sam hadn't been jollied and probably now thought of him as akin to a love sick puppy. The things a guy does for friendship, and what thanks does he get?

It wasn't that he didn't moon over Francine, he did in his own way, but Daniel believed he had it under control, if one could be said to have anything under control as far as Francine Butler was concerned. He liked her a lot. She was good company, albeit slightly over effusive in public, although that aspect of her personality had calmed down a lot since they'd been together. They had great sex too, so Daniel wasn't complaining, far from it.

With Francine he had the best of all worlds, a woman he enjoyed being with but who lived in a different State, so therefore not in his pocket. He could bury himself in books and artefacts as much as he liked without her complaining because she wasn't around to complain. When he saw her, he gave her all the attention she wanted, and rightly deserved. Perfect!

Except he wasn't giving her any attention now and Francine wasn't stupid either. She noticed. It wasn't until they reached the car that Daniel realised she hadn't said anything for a few minutes. The silence was close to deafening. He looked up and she was regarding him speculatively.

"What's wrong, Daniel?" she asked, concerned.

"Nothing."

"Oh, come on, you haven't listened to a word I've said. In fact you've hardly noticed I'm here. Now I know I like to be the center of attention but there is definitely something wrong when one's lover doesn't even seem to realise you're in the same city! Spill."

He sighed resignedly, and half-smiled, nodding. "Okay. Let's get moving and I'll tell you on the way to my place."

"Sure. I just want to know you're all right."

"I'm fine. It's not me I'm thinking about."

"How like you darling." She smiled and leaned over to kiss his cheek as he politely opened the passenger door for her. As he hopped into the driver's seat she added, "That's one of the things I adore about you, Daniel. Always thinking about other people and their problems."

Daniel grinned and, after starting the engine, reached over to stroke Francine's cheek briefly, then turned his eyes towards the exit and drove off.

"You look great, by the way," he commented, glancing at her admiringly.

"So you did notice I'm in the same city."

"How could I miss the most beautiful woman in town?"

Francine laughed throatily, shaking her long raven locks. "Flatterer!"

"Do I get any additional Brownie points?" he asked in an innocent tone, to be met by another Francine laugh. He so loved that deep throaty laugh and enjoyed provoking it in her. Daniel had never really considered he had that much of a sense of humor, but Francine seemed to like it, which pleased him.

"Only if you tell me what's bothering you."

Keeping his eyes on the road, Daniel started to explain his concerns. "It's Jack. His mom died and, well, Sam seems to be upset and he didn't seem to want her to go to Chicago for the funeral and, well, I'm worried about him. And Sam too, actually."

"Isn't Jack O'Neill old enough and ugly enough to look after himself?" she asked wryly. "On the whole I've found generals in the armed forces to be fairly competent at that kind of thing." Daniel gave her an irritated glance and she threw her arms up in a gesture of surrender. "Okay, rock boy, where's Sam right now?"

"Rock boy?" he queried with chagrin. Had she been talking to Jack lately?

"Intended only as a term of affection, my darling, I promise." Her smile seemed genuine and Daniel was mollified. "Sam?" she queried to remind him about her question.

"Oh! She's at home, I think."

"Want to swing on by to see her?"

"I-I," he stammered, surprised. "Um, are you sure you don't mind?"

"I suggested it didn't I? Daniel, if you're worried, I'm worried. Friends are important. Just point this thing at Sam's place and put your foot down."

Daniel smiled. There was that heart of gold again. Francine was full of surprises and he loved that about her. So instead of heading back to his place, he did as Francine suggested, pointing the car at Sam's and putting his foot down.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Jack watched as Sam walked into the living room bearing two cups of coffee, using her butt to swing the door shut behind her. Whoa! That was hot! She grinned, guessing what he was thinking, and placed their coffees on the table in front of him, joining him on the couch.

"So, you aren't due at the SGC and I'm not flying back to DC until tomorrow. What do you want to do with our day, Sam?"

"What's left of it, you mean?" she queried. "I don't really mind. Just cuddle me Mr Scarecrow."

If Sam was honest, although on the surface everything might seem normal, it wasn't. She would need a little more time to truly forgive Jack, albeit that she understood the reasons for his abnormal behaviour. Abnormal it might have been, but that didn't necessarily make what had happened hurt less, or make it easier to forget or to absolve Jack from blame.

As for Jack, Sam had put him through the ringer, forcing him to tell her details and confront feelings he might never have confessed. He wanted normal, so was willing to pretend everything was exactly that as long as she was, even though deep down he knew it wasn't going to be that easy. Human nature wasn't like that.

"Happy to oblige, Dorothy, at least for as long as it takes for the coffee to get cool enough to drink." He winked, placing an arm around her shoulder, and she snuggled up to him. "How about us driving over to the Academy before I go back to DC and using your charm and good looks to book us a slot for the wedding?" he ventured and she stiffened.

Immediately regretting the suggestion, Jack's heart sunk, uncertain of what that still silence meant. Did she want to delay the wedding after what had happened? Stop it altogether? What had he been thinking? Asking her that now, after what had happened, was wrong on so many levels he could hardly believe the words had the audacity to cross his lips. He was an idiot, a double idiot. Jack cursed himself for being so stupidly insensitive.

He wasn't totally dumb and realised the fallout from this foolish thing he'd done wouldn't go away just like that. And maybe some of what he'd said might have made the situation easier for her, but some of it must have been pretty damned hard to swallow. He only needed to consider reversing their situations to understand that. It wasn't rocket science.

Jack knew he might never have reacted as calmly or rationally as Sam had, or maybe he might have acted it, but he would have stonewalled, denied, almost anything to avoid confronting it and facing it. If he'd ever let them get this far, he realised he would not have forgotten, that he'd still be thinking about it, letting it eat at him. Sam must be feeling that right now.

"I'm sorry," he said forlornly, disentangling his arm and moving away, angry with himself and hanging his head in his hands. "That was… I'm sorry," he reaffirmed in a whisper.

"You think I might have changed my mind?" she asked, not really surprised Jack would believe that possible. Sam had to admit she'd been taken aback by the suggestion they go book the wedding on today of all days. Sometimes she wondered what passed for brains in men. It wasn't just Jack, it was every man she'd ever met. Holy Hannah!

He didn't look up at her. "After what happened? Who could blame you if you did? Jeez, my timing sucks! I'm a damned mess; you must know that by now. After everything… you'd probably be better off without me."

He sighed sadly, his mood apparently having taken another melancholy turn. That along with his words bothered Sam. Yes, he was right, his timing did suck. Sometimes he could be a jerk. The absurdity of the whole situation struck a chord and suddenly she started to laugh. Jack started, looking up at her sharply, clearly stunned and puzzled by that reaction.

"Yes, your timing sucks, and maybe I would be better off without you." Jack looked discomforted by that. It was one thing for him to think it but quite another for Sam to. "Sometimes you can be so… thoughtless. And yet most of the time… If I really believed I'd be better of without you in my life do you think you'd still be sitting here?" she asked rhetorically, conscious of his earlier words about not deserving love. That he believed this wrenched at her heart. But Jack knew she loved him, didn't he? Apparently he only knew it sometimes and that distressed her. "Earlier on you told me I shouldn't doubt you love me. Well you shouldn't doubt my feelings for you, Jack. I love you."

"I know." He glanced away and down at his feet again and his teeth gnawed his lower lip, his expression giving the lie to the words.

"But apparently you don't know."

"Loving me is one thing. Marrying me, living with me - that's a whole different story, Sam. I don't de…" he started, but she wouldn't let him finish.

"No, don't you dare say you don't deserve it. That's bullshit!" she exclaimed emphatically, grasping his chin with her hand chin in her hand so that Jack would look at her, which he did, his eyes filled with a tumult of emotions.

"I'm not so sure I'd be as quick to forgive you," he said in a small voice.

Sam sucked in a deep breath, uncertain what to say. "I'm not sure I have exactly forgiven you, Jack. There's a big difference between understanding and forgiveness, and between forgiving and being prepared to forgive." He winced and her thumb smoothed over his cheek. "But I sure as hell am not ready to give you up over one minor… dumb indiscretion." She paused to ponder her next words. "Jeez, you can be such a jerk sometimes, but… but you didn't really cheat on me did you? You only-you only… nothing much really happened." The hand grasping Jack's chin moved to his head, smoothing through the short hair, and he reached up and took hold of it, pulling it down to his lips and kissing her palm. He looked perturbed.

"Depends on your view of cheating, I guess, and what you mean by nothing much. I would be pissed if you did the same thing. Jeez, I was jealous and upset enough when I heard you'd kissed Martouf. I don't want to share you with any other man, and I don't expect you to want to share me either. If-if you need more time, if you want to back off a little, put off the wedding from when we planned…" Tailing off uncertainly, he squeezed her hand.

"I still want to marry you and spend my life with you. I don't need more time to know what I want."

"Then… we're good, right?" His tone was still diffident.

"I hope we'll always be good. Maybe not perfect, but good. Just-just don't break my heart."

His heart lurched sympathetically at those words. "Oh, Sam… I'm so sorry." He let go of her hand and embraced her. "So, so sorry. I guess I already did that."

"It's not broken. Just a little bruised. It will heal."

His breath whispered against her neck and, while one arm smoothed over her back, the fingers of his other hand twisted through her hair. "We both been through enough pain during all these years of waiting without me adding more."

"I just need distance and time. It isn't easy to listen to the man you love telling you he was with another woman. I get it, really I do, and I know in my heart that what happened doesn't really diminish how you feel about me. This relationship is as solid as a rock, in it's own way." She noticed him frown at that and ploughed on. "But what happened still hurts. I can't simply forget it just like that."

"I don't know what else I can say or do to make it better," he responded, tightening his embrace. "Maybe you're right. Maybe I should never have told you about it. Maybe telling you makes it seem more than it really was, in here." She felt one of his hands move briefly to his heart before returning to smooth over her hair and down her cheek. "I hurt you. I knew when I told you it would hurt, but I still had to tell you because I believed that to be the right and honorable thing to do. I didn't do it to salve my guilty conscience, Sam. That's not what all this is about. Maybe I should have just kept my mouth shut."

"Sometimes truth hurts, but I'm not sure I believe you cheated in your heart. Not really. I know you too well to believe that," she responded, pulling away from his arms and looking him in the eye. He found it hard to meet her unwavering but pained gaze, steeling himself to face it. "I suppose I'm glad you told me. It might not be something I wanted to hear or know about, but that you told me, that you needed to tell me; that says a lot in its own way, doesn't it? You can be so closed and insular sometimes, but you've opened up to me way more than I ever expected."

"Perhaps this wasn't something I should have opened up about. I should have locked it away with the other crap." Jack ensured he had the rapt attention of her eyes while he spoke, entwining his fingers with hers, his thumb caressing them. Needing to express himself, needing her to know what lay in his heart, he continued falteringly, stumbling over his words.

"I-I've had to keep so much of my life and feelings secret from the people closest to me. I could never discuss my work with Sara. I could never let my closest friends get too close b-because… how could I do that when I had to lead you into battle and expect you to take my orders? And-and… shit!" Jack wasn't sure how to continue but knew he must find the words. He squeezed her hand, a look of uncertainty on his face, and Sam smiled faintly and nodded, trying to encourage him to continue. "I wanted us to be different. I wanted to know we were real, that… these feelings are… Jeez, this is so hard. It isn't easy for me to…"

"I know," she said reassuringly, her free hand reaching up to his face and brushing over his cheek. "You're doing okay, Jack. You're better at it than you think." The wattage of her faint smile increased a notch.

"I-I don't want to screw up. I just want to make sure we're okay. I am 100% committed to you, Sam, I need you to know that." He paused for a moment, nervously kneading her hand. "Um… this is gonna sound real corny but what the hell…? I waited years for this…this… us. I haven't been entirely celibate or a hermit over all those years of waiting and hoping, although I often came close. It's not like I had a woman on every planet or anything, or even that much going on right here on Earth most of the time. I never went looking for it, but I could get real lonely." Embarrassed by that admission, Jack tailed off and Sam smiled sympathetically.

"Jack, you don't have to…"

"Yes, I do. Please, let me finish. I-I know I haven't been a saint. I always wanted for it to be us, wanted to wait, but… Christ, what man could be that superhuman for so many years? I'm just me, Jack O'Neill, flawed just like anyone else. I-I…" He struggled for the words. "I guess I'm trying to tell you I stayed faithful to the hope of us for a very long time, never truly wanted any other woman but you for years. I don't really think I ever will. Maybe that seems hard to believe after what happened. Now we're together I screw it up. Ironic. That's… it's so Jack O'Neill." He rolled his eyes as if annoyed with himself. "B-but I need you to know; needed to tell you."

Having wavered between certainty and doubt, he wanted to know she still had some faith in him after what had happened and Sam instinctively realised this was what he required.

"I do know. I would never have wished for you to be lonely, or alone. I would never have expected… I might have wanted, and I would have hated the thought of you with anyone else, I still do, but I never expected…" She tailed off, choosing her words with care before expressing them. "What happened in Chicago was an aberration. It's been a bad few days. I trust you. Sure, what happened makes me doubt. It would, wouldn't it?

"But this love, this trust… when you trust your life to someone for so long, well, that's something not so easily broken, and I need you to know that. We have a unique bond, not like any so called normal relationship because, let's face it, life for us has never been what you'd call normal. Not many people have what we have and that's not so easy to destroy, not after all these years."

"That's a totally different kind of trust, Sam."

"Yes, and no. I guess I'm working on it." She puckered up her nose, looking confused.

"So the Jury's still out?"

"Kind of. To be honest, I'm still a little pissed that you didn't want me to come to Chicago with you in the first place." Her tone was reasoned and calm, and Jack knew she was right to be annoyed with him about that as well as everything else. "What happened to 'never alone'?" She felt his grip on her hand tighten and her free hand reached up to caress the necklace he'd given her for her birthday back when their relationship had changed irrevocably.

Jack's eyes strayed to the necklace and he silently watched the movement of her hand over the smooth shiny metal before meeting her eyes again, his expression regretful and apologetic. "I-I don't know what to say, Sam. I guess I'm sorry doesn't really cut it. I-I don't know why, what… happened. I don't really want to shut you out. I'll try not to, I promise."

She could see his promise was genuine but knew it wouldn't be that easy for him to keep. This was Jack O'Neill. He could shut up like a trap quicker than you could blink. But he had promised he would try and that was the best she could hope for. What else was there?

"I can't ask you to do more than try. We'll be okay, Jack. We'll be fine."

Her smile was filled with affection and he nodded thoughtfully, believing she meant it, but even if she forgave him Jack wondered if his conscience would ever be clear of the sin he'd committed, the betrayal of trust. He had to try and forget it, push it to the back of his mind and stop it coming between them, thinking once more that he'd find a way to make it up to her. Maybe he never could do that, but this wouldn't stop him trying.

"Okay," he said succinctly when he finally replied, nodding his acceptance of her reassurance. The next thing she said caught him off guard.

"So, you mentioned going to the Academy, booking the wedding?"

"W-what? You think we should…?"

Astonished but ecstatic, his heart soared. Sam couldn't have surprised him more, or said anything much more uplifting. Maybe he hadn't said the wrong things after all. Maybe he really hadn't fucked up. Not this time, perhaps, although Jack knew he'd probably have plenty more opportunities. Could something this good really last? Damn it, he'd give it his best shot. Sam deserved that and, grudgingly, he was coming to the conclusion maybe he did too.

"Absolutely," she agreed, relieved his sour humor had dissipated and willing to go with the flow, for now. "First thing in the morning, before you go. The personal touch might help, especially the uniforms."

"Think we can pull some strings? I doubt it, although we can try." He grinned inwardly at the notion of Sam putting on her uniform, thinking he might have had some fun stripping it off afterwards, but Jack figured that wasn't on the cards this trip. Sam would undoubtedly need more time before she would want him to make love to her again and he could appreciate that. Space and time. It was all he could give apart from his love. As far as sex was concerned, he'd have to let her lead the way and show him she was ready.

"If the chapel is fully booked you could ask your friend the President for a favor," she said mockingly, and Jack laughed.

"Sure, he'd love that. Real fate of the world stuff," he said, chuckling as a distant memory surfaced. "Hey, remember that time we pulled the President trick on those ATF guys?" he asked, recalling the Seth incident. That had been a very long time ago.

"Oh yes, the look on that ATF man's face was hilarious. You and dad were on top form that day."

Thoughts of her father prompted Sam to want to ask Jack about his mother, but as he hadn't mentioned her again she thought it best to leave well alone, for now. She had no desire to sour his mood once more.

"Yeah, we were pretty good together," Jack replied wistfully. He'd liked the old man, and Selmak – virtually the only Tok'ra worth spending any time with.

"Despite your constant bickering."

"That was all part of the charm," he commented with a chuckle.

"Too damned right!" She smiled to herself at the memory of the pair, the two men she loved most behaving like a couple of goofs. Sitting back and staring into nothing, Sam thought about them for a while: good times and bad.

Jack simply watched, continuing to hold her hand in his, stroking her fingers, and wondering what she was thinking but not inclined to ask. She was so beautiful. He felt the urge to kiss her, but didn't dare, remaining silent for a long time before plucking up the courage to say something.

"Sam?" Her name on Jack's lips interrupted her reflections and she started, looking towards him. His tone was quiet and hesitant. "C-can I kiss you?"

She nodded agreement and met him half way as his head drew closer. Hot breath wafted over her cheek, and he let go of her hand, his fingers reaching up to caress where that breath whispered on her flesh. She closed her eyes in anticipation and his nose touched hers, then the fingers moved into the corner of her mouth, urging her lips to part.

Sam's heart lurched excitedly as his tongue touched her lips, pausing to lick them lightly as his fingers gently prized her mouth open wider, and staying put when his tongue entered to clash with hers.

'Oh my god!' she thought as the thrill of that touch charged through her.

His other hand pressed against the back of her head, pulling her closer, and the fingers in his mouth explored alongside his hot, delicate tongue. Gasping with delight through her still open mouth, Sam's arm snaked around his back and under his t-shirt, her fingers running along his spine and making him shiver with desire.

The exploratory kiss deepened, his fingers withdrawing at last and grasping the side of her face, thumb smoothing over her cheek as he continued to thrill her with the movement of his tongue inside her mouth, brushing over every inch, slow but sure.

Sam tingled with longing, her heart beating rapidly and her desire given voice by the moan that vibrated in their mouths and through Jack's body. When he slowly withdrew the tongue, pausing to lick her lips again as he parted from her, she sighed and grunted, wanting him, loving him with every fibre of her being. They stared into each other's eyes with yearning for a while before he placed an arm around her and gently urged her head to rest on his chest.

Breathless and heady with desire, and tempted to give way to their passion, neither of them said or did anything to take the longing further, and she nuzzled up to him, simply stroking his chest with her hand.

Although her body yearned for lovemaking, her heart was still too sore to allow that ultimate physical closeness and it was apparent Jack realised this. In normal circumstances, he would have taken the kiss much further. Sam appreciated that he didn't try and, knowing him so well, understood he would wait for her to make the first move, wait for her to be ready to restore normality.

After that, they remained silent for a while, simply relishing the proximity of the embrace and the warmth of each other's touch, the forgotten coffee remaining untouched and cold on the table in front of them. Now everything felt much more like normal, not quite but close, and they both wanted to enjoy that moment. The reverie, however, was interrupted by a knock on the front door.

"Aw, crap!" Jack exclaimed, not welcoming any interruption. "You expecting anyone?"

"No. I guess I'd better go answer."

"Do you have to?" he whined, giving her a squeeze.

"You know I do."

"Ack! I could just refuse to let you up."

"Oh yeah? You and whose army, mister?" she mocked.

"Hey! Can't you just let an old man have his fantasy?" His face twisted into a large smirk.

"Wanna wrestle for it?" she challenged.

"Well, you know I'd really love to, but there's someone at the door." His tone was as mocking as hers and Sam laughed, reluctantly easing herself out of his arms. Another knock made her hustle to the door, surprised to see who had arrived when she opened it.

"Daniel, Francine! This is a surprise."

Back in the living room, Jack rolled his eyes at the empty room when he realised who it was. Daniel and his bad timing, sheesh! He could hear her welcoming them into the house and groaned, resigned to the intrusion.

"Jack! You're back? You're here?" Daniel said with astonishment as they entered.

"What are you doing here Daniel? Hey, Francine," Jack said, waving his fingers at his neighbour and ruminating that it was a pretty weird thing to come across one of your own next door neighbours in a place so many miles away from home.

Francine nodded a hello, saying nothing, but Daniel sighed deeply. "Always so welcoming, Jack. That's what I like about you. A true friend." His tone was laden with sarcasm. "We came to check Sam was okay. She, she…" He didn't finish as he realised telling Jack she'd been upset recently might not be the most tactful thing to say.

"Well, you came, you saw, you got the t-shirt," Jack quipped.

Sam threw him a look and turned to the visiting couple, inviting them to sit down and offering a drink or coffee. Of course Daniel opted for coffee, while Francine asked for a soda. They sat and Francine remained silent while Daniel studied Jack's demeanour thoughtfully for a moment before he spoke again.

"I'm so sorry to hear about your mom," he said eventually.

"Thanks," Jack replied, not wanting to talk about it.

"Are you okay?"

'Fer crying out loud, take the hint, Daniel,' Jack thought. "Sure," he said aloud.

"I, um…" Daniel broke off, words hovering on his tongue but unwilling to find their voice. He shifted nervously in his seat, aware from the expression on Jack's face that he didn't want to go there. Francine reached over and took his hand in hers, squeezing it gently and, not for the first time, Daniel realised she was way more sensitive to people and their moods than it might often appear.

To fill the awkward silence that followed, Jack coughed and looked towards Francine. "So, how are ya, neighbour?" he asked with a slightly teasing grin.

"Just great, Jack," she answered, ignoring his tease. "It's good to be here in the Springs with Daniel." She smiled the sweetest smile Jack thought he'd ever seen on her face, a genuine heartfelt smile, and raised Daniel's hand, touching it to her lips. For the first time since he'd met her, Jack realised her affection and regard for Daniel was real, not the fake Francine type stuff he'd seen in the past, and he was pleased for his friend, mentally wishing him the best of everything from the relationship.

Sam returned with a tray of the various drinks they'd requested. Instead of coffee, Jack had hankered after a cold beer and he snatched up the bottle enthusiastically, taking a lengthy slug and, while he did so, suddenly recalled he had a good reason for wanting to speak to Daniel. Trinium - the rings for the wedding!

Once Sam sat next to Jack, it became obvious to Daniel that everything was right with the world after all, and he heaved a mental sigh of relief. The idea that his two friends might be struggling with this relationship had bothered him a lot. Daniel realised all relationships have some trouble, but he so wanted this thing between Jack and Sam to work. They were two of his closest friends and he wanted them to be happy after all those years of unresolved sexual tension that had so clearly deepened to love.

When Sam had been with Pete, Daniel had never quite believed that relationship could be real and was stunned when she'd got engaged. He knew it was none of his business, but he just couldn't see it working. It had seemed that two of his best friends were missing the blindingly obvious, each other, and that didn't sit well with him.

To top it all, Jack seemed unwilling or unable to act. He could easily have put a stop to it, Daniel was confident of that, but appeared to have given up. Daniel understood Jack wanted what was best for Sam and was willing to sacrifice his own feelings so she could get it, but Pete had been so wrong for her, nice enough guy though he was. He believed Jack should have fought tooth and nail for her and never abandoned that dream.

Although he didn't quite know the ins and outs of it, by the time he'd descended yet again, after the replicator Sam had killed him - which had been pretty weird stuff by the way, even for Daniel Jackson - the real Sam had broken off the engagement with Pete. At first he had wondered if it was something to do with her father's death, then he'd hoped Jack and Sam would finally get their acts together.

When they all took off to Jack's cabin he'd supposed that might be the start of it, but to his surprise and chagrin nothing happened. Then Jack had gone off to DC and Daniel began to believe it never would. The thought had troubled him. In so many ways, Jack and Sam were a mismatched pair, but in other ways they were perfect, and clearly deeply respected each other, their feelings running way deeper than friendship and team camaraderie.

Their already close bond had grown and evolved, and maybe that was the way it had to be, given the previous CO/subordinate relationship. He figured things could have been different, and maybe if they had acted too quickly without some initial adjustment, they might have been. To make this work, they had needed to be equals and he'd watched the shifts and twists and turns over the months and thought maybe now they were. A few months ago that might not have been the case.

He thought back to those many months earlier when he'd got his chance to intervene: Sam's birthday and the pendant Jack so wanted to give her. Daniel agreed wholeheartedly that it was the perfect gift for two lovers, but had been surprised by his friend's persistence given he and Sam weren't. It seemed Jack hadn't given up after all otherwise why that particular gift?

Daniel was pretty sure, however, that Jack would have pussyfooted around for weeks, if not months, if he hadn't told him payment for the gift was to kiss Sam on her birthday. He was also convinced Sam would have believed that simple act of a kiss to be the best gift of all. The archaeologist was proud to have played such a large role in the events that had brought them together, and would do his damnedest to ensure they stayed that way.

"Got any plans while you're here?" Sam asked Francine, butting into Daniel's thoughts.

"We haven't really discussed any specifics," she replied. "I'm sure we'll think of something." The smirk on her face as Francine looked towards Daniel while she spoke indicated she had something other than a nice meal or day out in mind, and Sam smothered a grin.

Unlike Jack, Sam had seen what Daniel was like after having spent a few days with Francine: tired, more dishevelled than ever, and walking around with a dreamy expression and big grin on his face like the cat who'd got the cream – probably because he had got the cream. She was pleased he seemed so happy.

When Francine expressed a desire to see the rest of the house, she and Sam took off, and the two men could hear the pair giggling as Sam showed her around. Jack took that opportunity to speak to Daniel about his plan.

"Trinium rings?" Daniel queried, flabbergasted. "Do you know how much that stuff is worth?"

"Not really. I know it's a big thing to ask. The pendant was enough, more than enough. I just…"

"Jeez, who would guess what an old romantic you can be?" Daniel responded with a grin.

That flummoxed Jack. "I, um…. Well, I, um…" he stammered making Daniel laugh. "Hey, don't mock!" he protested defensively, pouting.

"As if…"

"You would too."

"Would not"

"Would."

"Would not."

It was Jack's turn to laugh. "Okay, you made your point," he spluttered. "So you think I'm after the unattainable?"

"I never said that, did I?"

"Okay, so, well…?" Jack impatient and excited eyes bored into Daniel's forcefully.

"I've got a couple of ideas. I'll look into it and get back to you."

"Good enough. Thanks Daniel."

"You're welcome." Daniel's nose puckered up as he smiled, hopeful he could help his friend's romantic quest yet again. He so liked this side of Jack, the softer caring, dreaming one. The man appeared to be hard-core and pragmatic on the outside, but not when it came to Sam. No, when it came to Sam, Jack was positively gooey.

Could he obtain enough trinium to grant Jack his wish? He'd find a way. Yeah sure… you betchya!


***************
TE