samandjack.net

Story Notes: SPOILERS: None

SEQUEL/SEASON INFO: Sequel to "A New Start" and "A New Life", Season 6&7

CONTENT WARNINGS: Adult situations

AUTHOR'S NOTES: Different character points of view are used throughout the story. *~*~ Denotes a time lapse or change in scene. I hope you enjoy the story, your feedback is appreciated.


She walked out to the truck with a big smile on her face, anxious to tell her father about her day in school. On the drive home his daughter was talking as fast as Sam used to when she was excited about something scientific. Jack looked in the rearview mirror and smiled thinking that CC was just like her mother, smart, beautiful and she could charm him into doing almost anything. He asked CC if she had a lot of homework and she replied some but it was easy.

He pulled into the driveway and let CC out. She walked over to the sapling in the front yard and gave it a hug. He always gave her private time at Sam's tree, it was like her confidant and a way of keeping her mother alive in her heart.

"Daddy, aren't you going to give mommy a hug? I think she would like it," CC said.

Jack walked over to the tree and CC said she would give him time alone with mommy. Jack watched as CC went into the house, leaving him standing beside the tree.

"Hi Sam! CC is doing good in school and soon she'll be as smart as you." Jack was quiet for a few moments then looked up in the sky then back at the tree. "I miss you."

Jack walked into the house to see that CC had already started on her homework. The phone rang and CC rushed to answer it, beating Jack to the phone. The caller asked for Colonel O'Neill and CC called her father to the phone.

The caller asked if this was Colonel O'Neill and he stated it was. It took a moment for Jack to recognize the voice on the phone as one of his old friends, Harlan Beck. Harlan asked Jack who answered the phone. Jack proudly said that was his daughter, surprising Harlan. Harlan said that a few of the guys were getting together for old time sake and asked Jack if he wanted to join them. Harlan told him to come on because it would probably be the last warm weekend of the year. Hearing the hesitation in Jack's voice Harlan said it was a family event. Jack grinned and asked for the details.

At the park Jack noticed that most of the guys had grown or almost grown kids. Harlan sat with Jack who was keeping a careful eye on CC.

"You know she kind of looks familiar," Harlan stated.

"You remember when you can across my runaway nephew," Jack said referring to his young clone.

"Yeah, so what's that got to do with her," Harlan said then suddenly stopped in mid sentence. "Hey you know you daughter looks a little like that gal who came out to talk with me from Cheyenne Mountain."

"You got a good memory Harl old buddy. That lady was her mother," Jack said.

"You sly old dog Jack, when did you get hitched? She was a real looker." Harlan's express changed, catching on to what Jack had said, "Wait a minute, did you say `was'?"

"Yeah, she died almost two years ago and I adopted her daughter," Jack said in a sad tone. "Long story short she left the military, had a kid and then came back into my life. Now she's gone and I have her daughter and she is the most important thing in my life." He paused, taking a deep breath then stated, "She looks so much like her mother."

"I'm sorry buddy," Harlan said and patted Jack on the back. Harlan decided to change the subject, "So how about helping me cook those hotdogs."

"Stand aside buddy, the master chef of the grill is here," Jack said with a smile as he walked over to the grill.

"Daddy, don't burn the hot dogs again," CC called out.

"Master chef of the grill huh," Harlan said with a chuckle.

Jack smiled at Harlan's comment. Harlan noticed Jack's smile was big when his daughter called out to him. Harlan remembered Jack had done a tailspin when Charlie died and now he was happy again and he knew it was because of his daughter.

Jack thought about CC calling him daddy, it was the proudest title he ever wore, even including those in the military. He lost the honor of being called daddy a long time ago but now he had the chance to bear that proud title again thanks to Sam.

*~*~*

TWENTY MONTHS EARLIER

~*~*~

She opened her eyes and found herself in a room with pillows all over the floor. She rubbed the stiffness out of her back, she felt like she had been run over by a Mack truck. The last thing Sam remembered was SG-16 running for the Stargate and then she felt extreme pain in her back and then everything went black.

The door to the room opened and a Jaffa warrior walked in ordering Sam to follow him. She walked down the hall asking how she got here from the planet and where were the other members of the team. He did not answer her. Sam asked him where he was taking her. The warrior turned slapping Sam hard across her face knocking her into the wall. Sam held her hand to where she had been struck and asked again where they were going. He grabbed her roughly by the arm and shoved her in front of him, telling her that she was not allowed to ask questions and she would be told what was expected of her by her God.

It was clear to Sam what had happened. She had been killed then revived in a sarcophagus by the System Lord who had attacked the team. She knew that she would now be tortured for information. She would resist but knew in time the System Lord would get the information he desired.

Upon arriving at a set of closed doors Sam was shoved through them, opening them with her body. She fell unceremoniously onto the floor of a large chamber then brutally stood upright on her feet only to have the back of her knees struck forcing her to kneel while he looked down at her with contempt.

"What were you doing on the planet," he asked.

"We were exploring the planet," Sam said and was instantly hit hard on the side of the head knocking her sideways to the floor.

"Do not lie to me. You were trying to establish a new base for the Tau'ri, weren't you," he said.

"I did not lie. We were just exploring the planet," Sam said before being violently struck on her back.

"This was not the first time that your kind have visited my planet so I do not believe that you were just exploring the planet," he stated.

"We were just exploring," Sam stated, cringing as she anticipated being hit but it did not happen.

"Silence! Take this Tau'ri from my presence," he stated.

Sam was jerked backwards out of the room and allowed to regain her balance in the corridor. The entire walk back she was constantly prodded in the back by the guard then shoved into the room she woke up in. She turned and asked the guard where the other members of the team were.

"You may not ask questions. For your insolence to Lord Yu, you will pay the price," the guard said.

He held a Zat gun in his hand long enough for Sam to recognize it before she was shot once with it. As she was writhing in pain she heard the guard speaking.

"This is for disrespecting Lord Yu," the guard stated as he zatted Sam a second time.

Everything went black for Samantha Carter.

When Sam woke up she was again in the room with the pillows. She never remembered being put into the sarcophagus but knew that she had been zatted twice and so she must have been revived by the sarcophagus. She noticed food and drink had been left for her and suddenly her stomach let her know it was time to eat.

Although her wounds and injuries had been healed, Sam still felt sore from where she had been struck the day before. There was something wrong; she didn't remember being hit in those places by the guard. Suddenly it dawned on her that she had lost track of the number of times she been beaten by the guard or brought back to life by the sarcophagus. She had lost all sense of time.

Sam thought of her beautiful CC and began to cry. She missed her daughter so much and the only thing helping her control her emotions was the thought that CC was being cared for by Jack or at least she hoped Jack was taking care of her daughter. Sam had dried her eyes as the door to her room opened.

Once again Sam was pushed and shoved down the corridor and pushed through the closed doors into the chamber where Lord Yu held an audience with her. He asked her why the Tau'ri were on his planet and she said they were exploring. The guard struck her, causing her to fall to the ground and then after being questioned she was taken back to her chamber. The guard pulled out his Zat gun, smiled and shot her.

Sam began to wonder if this was what Jack felt like after being tortured by Baal and had a new found respect for him surviving his encounter. The only thing different was that Yu was not torturing her as Ba'al had done with Jack and it puzzled her. She wondered what Jack thought about to keep his courage up during that time. To keep her spirits up during this time Sam thought about Jack and CC and dreamed that maybe one day she would see them again.

~*~*~

CURRENT TIME RESUMED

*~*~*

A new guard entered the room, ordering Sam to come with him. Upon arriving in the chamber the guard ordered her to kneel before Lord Yu but her knees were not knocked out from under her. She knelt down and the guard exited in chamber. Lord Yu entered the chamber then dismissed his personal guard leaving him alone with Sam.

"Dr. Carter, you are well I see. I have dismissed the guard who has been harming you. It is regrettable that this was not brought to my attention sooner," Yu stated.

Sam remained silent not really believing what Yu had said. She began to think of her time there and one thing struck her as being odd, she had not been tortured for information or made to do hard labor. Instead she had been given projects to work on when she didn't have an audience with Yu. Sam was drawn out of her thoughts by Yu calling out her name.

"Dr. Carter is there something more important than what I have just said," Yu asked.

"I apologize, I was lost in my thoughts," Sam stated.

"Dr. Carter I ask that you listen carefully to what I am saying as it is very important, more important than you working on the projects I've assigned to you previously."

Sam's attention was focused on every word Lord Yu spoke. His words took Sam by surprise and when he finished she asked him why her. Yu stated he chose her for this task because she has some knowledge concerning their situation. Sam looked up struggling to keep the tears from her eyes as she asked Yu a question.

"How long have I been in your service," Sam asked.

"You have been in my presence for twenty months Dr. Carter," Yu said.

Sam gasped at hearing this; she could not believe how much time had passed. She struggled to keep her composure but felt it waning rapidly the more she thought about the lost time.

"Dr. Carter, you will complete the task I asked of you."

"I will do my best but, I too have a proposal to make," Sam stated.

She spoke very cautiously to Yu about her proposal, unsure of what Yu would do. Yu asked Sam if she understood what her proposal meant and she stated she did. Yu then dismissed Sam stating that he would have a decision for her soon and he too expected a decision from her. The door opened and Sam walked alone back to her room.

Sam sat in her room shaking; she could not believe what she had just done but after learning how long she had been away from her daughter she couldn't help but make a deal of her own. She was sure Yu would accept her proposal based on the look on his face. Now all she had to do was come up with a plan and then maybe, just maybe this nightmare would end.

After a week Sam was brought before Lord Yu and given his decision. He stated if she completed what he asked of her to his satisfaction then he would agree to her request. Sam smiled and Yu reminded Sam it would be up to him to decide if she completed her task successfully. Sam gave a slight bow of her head as an act of courtesy.

Two days later Sam dialed an address to another world then stepped through the event horizon to a world Yu promised was safe. Once the gate shut down Sam looked around before a dialing up Cimmeria and stepping through. Once on the other side she waited for the beam from Thor's hammer to scan her assuring she was not a Goa'uld. Sam looked around and saw the changes the planet had undergone as she walked to the village where she last knew Gairwyn to live.

After speaking with Gairwyn Sam was escorted to The Hall of Thor's Might where she made contact with the Asgard. She returned from the hall thanking Gairwyn for her hospitality. A short time later Sam was transported aboard Thor's ship.

*~*~*

General Ryan, Hammond's replacement, was doing paperwork in his office when a bright light appeared making him shield his eyes. The bright light faded and he observed an Asgard standing before him. Thor introduced himself to General Ryan and Ryan asked Thor how he could assist him. Thor asked about transporting some food onboard his ship for his guests. Ryan stated the food store of the SGC were at his disposal. He asked Thor if he could wait a few hours for their chefs to prepare meals in advance for his guests.

Thor said the delay would be acceptable because preparations needed to be made for the Fifth Race representative. General Ryan was surprised to hear this and asked Thor if they had met the members of the Fifth Race yet. Ryan's office was filled with a bright light and Thor was gone. General Ryan picked up the red phone to make a call to the White House about what just happened.

It was apparent Jack had left out information in his report about Earthlings having great potential to become the Fifth Race when he first visited the Asgard home world. But it wasn't the first time that O'Neill had left out information or skirted around the truth in his reports.

Jack was taking a few minutes to play with CC after school before she started her homework. He placed CC on his shoulders and went outside, walking up to Sam's tree. CC reached up placing another yellow ribbon on the tree then told her father to step back so she could see the tree better.

"Daddy, we need to get the ladder and put more ribbons higher on mommy."

"We'll do that this weekend and we'll put the lights up in her tree so she will shine in time for Christmas. What do you say about that," Jack asked his daughter.

"Cool," CC said as a bright light engulfed the two of them.

"Greetings Colonel O'Neill," Thor stated.

"Thor, old buddy," Jack stated.

"Thor," CC said mimicking her father.

"I really don't mind you beaming me up Thor but did you have to bring my daughter," Jack asked.

"Colonel O'Neill, I apologize for bringing your daughter with you but it was necessary. Had I transported only you then your daughter would have fallen and could have been injured," Thor stated.

"Well allow me to introduce my daughter, Catherine Carter O'Neill, but you can call her CC."

"Greetings CC, I am Thor."

Jack eased his daughter off of his shoulders to the ground. CC walked up to Thor and extended her hand to shake.

"She is like you and her mother, smart, brave and courageous," Thor stated.

Jack beamed with pride at the compliment because CC had made contact with an Extra Terrestrial and it didn't phase her one bit. She was definitely like her mother Jack thought. Thor then explained to Jack that it was necessary for him to join them for a summit. Before Jack was able to say anything else Thor advised that it would be necessary to make arrangements to leave CC with someone while he attended the meeting.

Janet was sitting in her living room when it was brilliantly lit up and when the light faded CC and Jack were standing before her. Jack told Janet he needed a favor, stating he needed someone to look after CC. Janet asked why and he stated that Thor had called him for some meeting. Jack started telling Janet things she would need to do with CC when a holographic image of Thor appeared in her living room.

"Thor!" CC called out.

"Colonel O'Neill it is imperative you return with me at this time, we have preparations to make before the summit," Thor stated.

CC then rushed to her father and gave him a big hug and told him to take care of Thor and to hurry back. He promised CC he would be back as quickly as possible. Thor turned to CC stating he would return Colonel O'Neill home safely.

"Bye Thor, bye daddy," CC said waving to her father.

In a flash of light Jack O'Neill was transported back onboard Thor's ship leaving CC with her Aunt Janet.

~~~

Jack walked with Thor to his chambers. Thor advised that some preparations must be made for the Fifth's representative before arriving at the summit. Jack asked who was the Fifth's representative, suspecting that earlier Thor had not told him everything. Upon reaching his chamber Thor advised Jack that he is the Fifth Race's representative.

"Colonel O'Neill, upon our first meeting I advised you had great potential to become the Fifth Race but at the time I did not reveal the entire truth," Thor stated.

"Thor, what didn't you tell me," Jack asked in an impatient tone.

Thor stated his people have kept a close eye on the people of Earth because their scientist have known the people of Earth were evolving rapidly; however, their traveling through the Stargate advanced Earthlings faster than their scientists predicted. Thor said he did not mention it when they first met fearing it would interfere with the natural course of development on Earth. Jack asked why he was selected and Thor advised that he was the one chosen to receive the knowledge from the Ancients, something no other race has done. Thor said the downloaded knowledge along with Jack's own knowledge designated him as the representative of the Fifth Race.

"Whoa, wait a minute. You said you removed that stuff when we first met. Then when I downloaded the stuff a second time I was able to work through it without your help, thank you very much. But you were supposed to take all that stuff out of my head. Are you telling me that you never took that stuff out of my head? I've still got that stuff in there?"

Thor advised that his race does not have the ability to remove the knowledge because it binds itself to the brain of the receiver, allowing the brain to absorb the information. He turned to Colonel O'Neill stating all he was able to do was halt the process each time but the downloaded knowledge is still contained within his brain. Thor stated that it would be necessary for his brain to resume the absorption process before the summit.

"Wait a minute. The last time this happened it almost killed me."

"That is incorrect O'Neill. It only appeared that your body was shutting down but instead it was rerouting the information it was absorbing. If the process had not been halted then your body would have adjusted in a short time to the knowledge you had received," Thor stated.

Jack started to object when Thor held out his hand and a beam of light shinned on Jack's forehead. Jack's eyes rolled backwards and he collapsed onto the floor.

Sam heard Thor at her door and allowed him in. He instructed her that he had food from the SGC prepared. She thanked Thor for making preparations for her and asked how long it would take them to reach the summit. Thor advised there were others to be retrieved for the meeting but assured her they would arrive in time for her to meet with Yu before the meeting. He asked her to remain in her quarters during the trip assuring her he would come and escort her to different areas of the ship so she could, "stretch her legs" as her race says. Sam said she would abide by his request and asked why she had to be escorted. Thor stated preparations were being made for the meeting and her presence might disrupt the preparations.

Later as Sam was eating she started shaking. It was almost time for the summit meeting and she had yet to come up with a solution. Her failure meant she would end up becoming a Goa'uld host, a fate worse than death to her.

~*~*~

Jack jerked awake trying to recognize where he was. He remembered that he was onboard Thor's ship. Thor entered the chamber asking Colonel O'Neill if he was hungry and a tray of food appeared before Jack. Jack asked why he was selected saying he was sure there were others more intelligent and better suited as diplomats than him. Thor reminded Jack that twice he had information from a depository left by the Ancients downloaded into his brain and it could not be transferred to anyone else. Thor informed Jack that out of all of the races it was his kind who showed concern and compassion to other races in their journeys through the Stargate, making them stand apart from the other four races.

Thor stood before the other three representatives: Opher representing the Knox, Oma Desala representing the Ancients and Foras representing the Furlings. Thor greeted the trio stating there was a fifth person to join them for this meeting and they all needed to meet him before the summit.

The door opened and Jack O'Neill walked into the room.

"This is Colonel Jack O'Neill the newest race to join our group," Thor said.

It was obvious to Jack he was not going to be easily accepted. Opher and Oma asked why O'Neill was present. Thor stated he was the Fifth race representative of their group. Jack noticed Opher and Oma did not appear happy to see him yet the small fuzzy creature was just watching him and he could have sworn it was smiling under the fur on its face.

"Why do you watch me Colonel O'Neill," Foras asked.

"It is just that I never met anyone from your race before," Jack replied. "Why aren't you objecting to my being here?"

"Colonel O'Neill, I am Foras of the Furlings. You may not have met anyone from our race before but we know of you and your race for we have been observing you and your kind for some time," Foras said.

"You have? For how long and what have you learned about my kind?"

"You are a very interesting race and even more since you have started traveling through the, device you call the Stargate. I like that name better than Chap'ai as it is more befitting the device. We have observed you for numerous generations and are amazed at the endurance of your race," Foras stated. "What intrigues us most about your kind is you are at your best when things are worst for you."

Foras went on to explain that his race is seldom seen by others and are considered to be the recorders; the keepers of facts and events and travel throughout the universe recording things. Foras said his kind would go to different worlds and leave some of their people to observe events, hidden from the inhabitants of the worlds. Jack asked if they visited his planet. Foras smiled saying on most worlds the Furlings would leave a ship above a planet to observe things and would not interfere with the natural course of events.

"Colonel O'Neill it is vital that you join us now as the Fifth Race," Thor stated.

"Oh really and why now," Jack asked.

"He is still too young," Opher stated.

"No, he is the right age and his youth can best benefit us especially in this situation," Foras stated.

"Ah excuse me, but have you noticed the gray here. I'm not exactly young," Jack said running his fingers through his hair.

Foras smiled stating, "He possesses what we no longer seem capable of displaying, compassion for others."

"We have all showed compassion for others not of our kind, so why do you state what does not appear to be the truth," Oma asked Foras.

"Recent actions were only taken because the Fifth race was attempting to correct our previous lack of action," Foras stated.

A murmuring of disagreement was heard among those present.

"Foras, we know that you are the recorder of facts amongst us, but why is credit given to a race that has yet to reach a level high enough to be considered a Fifth," Oma asked.

"Oh for crying out loud," Jack said in exasperation.

"It is not I who will prove his worthiness but instead it will be done by Colonel O'Neill," Foras stated.

"What," Jack exclaimed.

"Colonel O'Neill it is not I who will prove your race's worthiness but you," Foras stated.

"You have got to be kidding me. I don't even know where to begin. Someone else from Earth should be here as a representative. You picked the wrong guy."

"It was you who led your people through the Stargate into the galaxy. You were the one who had the information from the Ancients downloaded into your head not once but twice and you were able to use that information to assist your kind to succeed in their endeavor," Foras stated. "It did not happen to anyone else but to you. You have proved your worthiness to be the Fifth's representative."

"This is true but how can his race, a race known to be so violent have more compassion than those of us in this room," Opher asked.

"Colonel O'Neill," Foras stated turning to O'Neill indicating he was to answer.

"I'm not known for being very diplomatic but diplomacy is over rated at times. Each of you are more powerful and advanced than our race but yet we have interceded for you at least once," Jack stated.

He looked over at Opher and said, "The Knox take a type of avoidance method. This is okay except for the fact that it almost cost you the life of one of your own, Lya. If it weren't for the insistence of my team then the Goa'ulds might have destroyed new Tollana as well as Lya." Jack was referring to the trail for Skaara's freedom.

"Colonel O'Neill is correct in stating that our method was not without error and thanks to the insight of his team a race and one of our own was saved," Opher stated.

"Moving right along and my deepest apologies for bringing up a sore subject Thor but remember the Replicators. The Asgards were careless in researching the Replicators, allowing them access off of their world and out into the galaxy as well as giving them information about our world. We stopped them from taking over our planet using our lower level skills and thanks to a dumb idea from one of our own; the Replicators were delayed from attacking the Asgard home world. Next we were asked to fix a trap the Asgard rigged for the Replicators. We repaired it and the Replicators are trapped in a bubble that slows down time for them, making one of their years equaled 10,000 of our years," Jack said.

Foras nodded his head, agreeing with what O'Neill had said. Thor bowed his head stating Colonel O'Neill spoke the truth and thanks to his team the Asgards now have time to resolve the problem they brought into the universe.

Oma spoke, "We have displayed compassion towards other. We left the Chap'ai behind for others to explore the universe thus expanding their knowledge of things beyond their world. We had also left behind depositories of knowledge hoping others would use the knowledge and join us. Not long ago we helped a whole world ascend and become one of us, thus saving their entire race."

"Excuse me," Jack exclaimed. "Allow me to break things down for you. Yes you did leave Stargates behind but there was no control put over them. You built them then left them for others to abuse and that was what happened. The Goa'uld used them to rip our people from our land and scatter them across the galaxy separating them from our world. I`m sure you never meant it to be abused but did ya ever stop to think about the consequences before leaving such a powerful device behind?"

Jack walked across the floor a couple of times, noticing no sign of remorse on Oma's face. His anger rose as he remember that it was her kind responsible for the loss of Skaara and his people, a loss that still caused his heart to ache.

"Oh and about you saving an entire race let's not forget it would not have been necessary for them to ascend if you had taken responsibility for one of your own. You kicked one of your own out but you didn't strip him of his powers. He came across Anubis and joined with him. With your powers and the Anubis' hatred, he became more powerful and evil than any other Goa'uld ever, but still you didn't stop him," Jack said in angry tone. "Because of that a planet and its people were destroy. You killed my people," Jack said as he clenched his fists tightly.

"Colonel O'Neill, Anubis attacked Abydos, not Earth. He tried to kill the Abydonians, not your people," Oma said calmly.

"Ra took people from Earth through the Stargate to Abydos where he continued to enslave them until we freed them from his rule. The Abydonians came from Earth, they are my people and you let them die," Jack said with gritted teeth.

"We did not O'Neill. They have been saved, they have joined us and continue to live," Oma said with a smile.

"You're so wrong. You only saved their essences but not who they were or their way of life nor their planet," Jack said sternly.

Jack noticed that Oma seemed to have lowered her head a bit and no longer looked him in the eye. He looked at the others and could see great sadness in their eyes but for whom he didn't know.

"It is not our way to interfere in the lives of others," Oma softly said.

"So what are you going to do when the Abydonians act up and try to help others, kick them out like you did with Daniel Jackson? You can't make me believe that you gave them a better life. I know for a fact that Skaara wanted to marry and have children but you took that opportunity away from him when he ascended," Jack said with remorse.

"I understand your sadness Colonel O'Neill but if the Abydonians wish, they can descend and resume their lives. We can place them where they can be left alone to continue with the lives."

"On what planet, their planet was destroyed as was their way of life. Oh wait, let me guess it will be a planet of your choice and you will choose whether or not to let them remember anything. Well at least they won't have to worry about Anubis trying to destroy them or their world again because we took care of him for you," Jack stated with a touch of smugness in his tone.

Oma looked around at the others and started to speak then stopped.

"We're not janitors. We can't keep cleaning up the messes you guys keep leaving behind," he said. "So what do I have to do to join your little group? Well if it means that I have to give up caring about others, well forget about it because I can't live with that on my conscious," Jack said and shook his head in sorrow.

The room was quiet with each of the representatives reflecting on Jack's words. Jack knew his words weren't diplomatic but they were powerful words because the others were obviously thinking about what he said.

Foras spoke, "Our kind has also failed to intercede and assist others in great need. Colonel O'Neill your words may not be eloquent but they have touched all present."

"We should retire to our chambers to reflect on Colonel O'Neill's words as they are befitting this summit," Thor stated.

The next day the five races met in the same room. Jack was the first to speak, saying he regretted saying such harsh words and perhaps they are correct in stating his kind is not yet ready to become the Fifth member of their group.

Opher stepped forward stating, "Yesterday the words spoken by Colonel O'Neill were those of one still very young."

Jack shook his head because he knew that he had blown it and would not be accepted by the others.

Opher continued, "Our vacillation has caused others to suffer. The words of the young are poignant, reminding us of our lack of action. I believe that we should take the insight of the very young and temper it with our age and experience to bring about a harmony within ourselves and to use this at the summit."

The others all nodded in agreement then turned to Jack.

"So what does this mean," Jack asked.

"You are the representative for The Fifth Race," Thor stated.

"Ah thanks I think. So what am I suppose to do now?"

"The summit will soon began but there is still another task that I must attend to before the meeting can began," Thor stated then exited the room.

~~~~

Thor asked Dr. Carter if she was ready, stating Lord Yu was waiting to speak with her. Sam hesitated then stated she was ready. Thor warned she might be taken back by some of the representatives present of the Stargate group but not to let that deter her from her task. He stated he knows that she will do her best and that she will help bring about a solution to the problem. Sam looked up at Thor with sadness in her eyes.

"Thor," Sam said stopping Thor from exiting her chambers causing him to face her. "You are wrong to believe so strongly in me. I do not have a solution to the problem and because I do not then I will fail those whom I represent."

"Dr. Carter, you fear you will fail those who care for you but it is those who care for you who will give you the strength and help you to succeed in your endeavor," Thor stated.

"But I don't understand," she replied.

"It is time," Thor stated as a beam transported her down to Yu's chamber.

There were other System Lords present when Sam was beamed into the chamber. They all objected to her being present but were silenced by Yu standing up. He advised that Dr. Carter was the perfect representative for their cause. He went on to advise she is considered a great scholar among her people and she is respected by those attending the summit. He stated their respect for her will make them more willing to accept the plan she presents before them, thus assuring their continued existence. He then asked Dr. Carter to follow the servant to the meeting hall and wait for him there.

After Dr. Carter left the room the System Lords voiced their objections to Yu. Bastet stood up objecting to Yu's plan to use this Tau'ri as their representative stating she could not truly represent them as she was not a host. Baal spoke stating he has suffered great losses along with Lord Yu in battling against Anubis while many of them waited for his defeat. Svarog enraged by Baal's statement stood up stating his troops were spread too far protecting his territory to have much affect in the battle against Anubis. Several other System Lords all started objecting to comments and indications made concerning their participation or non participation in other battles.

"Enough!" Yu shouted, getting everyone's attention. "This arguing amongst us benefits no one. I have chosen one to present our case. She is not in service to any of us so she can not be accused of securing a deal favoring any one of us. She will do what is asked of her or our fate will become her fate."

Sam waited in the chamber trying hard to hide the trembling within her. She had changed into an Oriental style outfit showing that she was there on Lord Yu's behalf to speak for the Goa'uld. Lord Yu entered the chamber advising that he was pleased she was attired more properly as the Goa'uld representative. He took his seat advising Sam to stand beside him as they awaited the arrival of the others.

A bright light filled the room as Thor appeared in the room. He greeted the Lord Yu and Dr. Carter, advising the others are coming. Another light appeared then faded to reveal Opher, followed by another bright light revealing Oma Desala and a fourth light revealing Foras. Yu stated since they were all present the meeting should begin and turned to speak to Dr. Carter when Thor interrupt him.

"There is another to attend and then introductions will be made," Thor stated.

Another bright light filled the chamber then faded to reveal Jack O'Neill. Sam could not believe what she saw and gripped the table to steady herself.

"What is he doing here?" Yu shouted as he stood up. "He was not invited to this summit and should not be here."

"Lord Yu, when you sent Dr. Carter to seek out assistance from us, I later informed you that all of the other races would need to participate in the summit as this would affect them all," Thor stated.

"I agreed to their presence but I do not approve of him being here," Yu stated pointing to Jack.

"Lord Yu, Dr. Carter, allow me to introduce our group. I am Thor, representing The Asgard. He pointed to Opher stating, "This is Opher, an elder representing The Knox. This is Foras, Ambassador of the Furlings. This is Oma Desala, representative of The Ancients and this is Colonel Jack O'Neill, representative of the Fifth race in our group."

Jack noticed Sam upon his entering the room. He could not believe it, she was alive. Then he realized that she here with Lord Yu and Yu had made Sam into what he despised the most, a Goa'uld. He was repulsed by the idea that she was representing the Goa'uld but would not let it distract him from his task.

"He can not be present as he is responsible for the death of many Goa'ulds," Yu replied.

"Lord Yu if you object to the presence of any of our group then our summit has come to an end before it began," Thor stated.

"It is unwise to have one who seeks to kill our race present at this meeting," Yu said.

"Lord Yu if this is how you feel then the summit is over because the representative you have chosen is also one who has killed Goa'ulds," Thor said.

Yu looked at the others present trying to judge what he should say next. All seemed to be focused on him except for Colonel O'Neill, he was focused on Dr. Carter and her eyes were downcast. He knew with Colonel O'Neill present Dr. Carter was the best choice as a representative for the Goa'uld because Colonel O'Neill obviously respected this woman.

Yu let out a grunt. "I accept all of the representatives present. The summit may continue."

"As Dr. Carter is the representative of the Goa'uld, your presence will not be required any longer," Thor said to Yu.

"No I must remain with her if only to remind her of her duty," Yu said sternly.

"Lord Yu, Dr. Carter is in your service and I know she will honor her duty to you," Thor stated.

A bright light filled the room and when it faded Yu was left alone in the room. He was angered by what had occurred and shoved his chair backwards to leave the table. Just then a holographic image of Dr. Carter appeared before him.

"Lord Yu, I will do my best to represent the Goa'uld. If I fail you then I will return and willing accept any punishment you deem necessary. I ask you to trust me again as you did when you asked me to arrange this summit. I will not fail you," Sam stated.

"I can not return to the others without information on the summit," Yu said.

"Then please give me some time and I will report back to you with our progress," Sam said.

"I will wait," Yu said.

"Thank you Lord Yu. I will return," Sam said.

Jack watched Sam as she spoke with Yu and he felt sick in his stomach at hearing her words. She was going back to Yu which meant that she was one of them. He was struggling to control his emotions but what he really wanted to do was go over there and break her neck. He would rather her be dead than have a snake in her head. To him Sam was truly dead

"Before we began I feel it would be in our best interest to assure that the Goa'uld representative has not been compromised. I have seen where a person has been unknowingly programmed to do harm to others and it would be in the best interest of those present that we be sure she has not been brainwashed," Jack stated.

"Colonel O'Neill is wise in making his suggestion. When Dr. Carter was first transported onboard my ship I was able to determine that she is not a Goa'uld host. O'Neill could you explain this brainwash you spoke of," Thor stated.

Jack then went on to explain about the Zatarcs, the detectors and the experiences they had with them previously. Thor then stated they have a device more advanced and will ask Dr. Carter if she will undergo the testing. Thor approached Sam and advised her of the concerns expressed about her being a Zatarc. Sam stated she understood their concern and said the Tok'ra had a device to detect this problem. Thor said Colonel O'Neill explained the device and The Asgards have a device to test her and not place her at risk; however, he will not do it against her will. Sam advised that she will do it to assure the others as well as herself that she is not there to harm anyone.

Thor later returned to where the others were gathered with Dr. Carter beside him. He stated Dr. Carter was tested and she is not a Zatarc nor is she under any type of foreign influence. O'Neill thanked Thor stating he was just concerned for the safety of them all. Thor stated he was wise to be concerned considering his past experiences with the Goa'uld. After everyone was situated at a table Sam stood to make her plea for the Goa'uld.

"The Goa'uld race is facing extinction. They are partially to blame for the rapid decreasing of their numbers but they have not suffered losses in such great numbers as they did at the hands of Anubis. He alone singled out worlds where Queen Goa'ulds lived and destroyed those worlds as well as other worlds where the Goa'uld larvas were located. I come before you on behalf of the Goa'uld to ask for help in keeping this race from fading out of existence," Sam said.

Minutes later Sam finished stating her problem and took her seat, listening as others at the table discussed the situation. Oma pointed out that the Goa'uld were violators of their technology. Opher stated the Goa'uld had been coming to their world for a very long time trying to capture creatures on their world in hopes of advancing their own technology. Foras stated this is the second time that the Goa'ulds have faced extinction. Jack interrupted stating the Goa'ulds survived by taking the bodies of his ancestors. Sam knew that this was going to be an uphill battle as the group talked about the Goa'uld and how they have violated life on other worlds.

After what Sam believed to be two hours the group stopped discussing the shortfalls of the Goa'ulds. Thor advised it would be best if they had time to reflect on what had been discussed amongst them. Thor turned to Sam stating she should come with him so she could report to Lord Yu. Sam excused herself from the table looking at each of the members of the group who acknowledged her leaving except for Jack.

*~*~*

"Lord Yu, I have made your request to the group. They are thinking about the matter and will soon give their decision," Sam said.

"Dr. Carter, the information you bring was expected. Is it your belief that they will assist us," Yu asked.

"I can not say at this time," she replied with sadness in her voice.

"Then there is still time for discussion, I suggest you do your best to persuade them. I remind you that if you fail, you are to return," Yu stated.

"Yes Lord Yu, I am aware of the agreement I made with you," Sam said and bowed her head slightly as her holographic image faded from in front of Yu.

Jack had followed Thor and Sam, listening as she made her report to Yu. He wondered what agreement she had made with Yu before this meeting. Sam turned, surprised to see Jack watching her.

"So what kind of agreement did you make," he asked.

"Shouldn't you be reflecting privately," she stated with a touch of hostility in her tone.

"I will in a few minutes but first answer the question."

"The agreement is between Lord Yu and I, and it's none of your business."

"What was the agreement?"

"Are you still caring for my daughter and how is she?"

"Stop trying to change the subject, what agreement," Jack said in a loud angry tone.

"Where is my daughter," Sam shouted back.

Jack turned, walking out of the room when she grabbed his arm.

"Damn your hide Jonathan O'Neill, you tell me where my daughter is right now or so help me," Sam said with a look of hatred in her eyes.

Jack shrugged off her hand and continued his exit from the chamber.

"You bastard, don't you dare walk away from me. Did you give my daughter away to someone else? Answer me dammit!" Sam screamed at Jack as she grabbed him by the lapels of his clothes.

"First answer my question. What was the agreement," Jack said through gritted teeth.

Tears were now rolling down Sam's face as she slowly released his lapels. She was afraid that her worse fears had come true; he chose not to keep her daughter and probably let Mark adopt her.

"If I get assistance from the group then I will gain my freedom," Sam said very calmly.

"And if you fail," he asked.

"I'll die," she said coldly.

"What, he's going to kill you?"

"No. I'll forfeit my freedom and accept whatever punishment he deems. I believe I will be made into a Goa'uld host. So in a way I will be dead."

"Then I won't have to subject CC to mourning her mother a second time."

"So she's with you," Sam asked as she dried the tears from her face. "Thank you," Sam said as she exited the room.

Jack stood there for a moment surprised by her comment then jogged to catch up with Sam, grabbing her arm and spinning her around.

"That's it, that's all you can say," Jack asked with a look of astonishment on his face.

"She's with you and that's all that matters to me."

"Tell me why," he asked.

"Because I know that you're the best thing for her and as long as she's with you she'll always be safe and loved," Sam replied with a slight smile.

"I can't believe you made a deal with Yu for your freedom," Jack said in a soft tone.

"It was all I had to bargain with and if I succeed then there was a chance I could get back to Earth."

"How could you make such a deal? Do you really want to guarantee the success of a race that has stolen people and technology?" he said in disgust.

"I was desperate. I'd do anything to get back to CC," Sam said as tears welled in her eyes.

"Whoa, wait a minute. I just had an epi something," Jack said as he snapped his fingers.

"What are you talking about," Sam said in a puzzled tone.

"Oh you know what I mean. An epiphany,"

"Well I hope it didn't hurt," Sam said with a slight chuckle.

"Oh you're funny. Listen I've got to talk to Thor," Jack said as he jogged down the hall away from Sam.

Sam returned to her room elated to hear that Jack still had CC. Her last wish had come true; he was taking on the role of father to their daughter.

~*~*~*

The transporter was brilliantly lit and when it dimmed Jacob Carter was standing there. Jack gave Jacob a brief hug before escorting him to the meeting room where the other members of the group were waiting for him. They discussed Jack's idea and he then turned to Jacob asking if they have been able to learn anything about how Egeria was able to separate herself from the Goa'uld and create the Tok'ra. Jacob said they have been working with the Pangars but weren't able to discover much. Jack said maybe they could help and asked Jacob to show the group what they had learned.

Many hours later the group exited the room pleased. They were able to come up with a way to keep the Goa'uld race from becoming extinct and in the process they would also be able to boost the Tok'ra numbers. It was all thanks to Jack's remembering the primitive Goa'ulds on P3X-888 and his suggestion about using what was learned from Egeria. The group had come up with a plan to safeguard the source and keep the Goa'ulds in line. Jack shook his head surprised he had worked so hard to save a race he despised so much.

Jacob had been resting in his quarters when Jack called on him. Jacob congratulated Jack on being the Fifth Race representative, stating that he knew he was more to Jack than just a soldier. He then asked Jack about his grand daughter. Jack gave him the latest news about CC and then said that he also need to discuss something of a more personal nature. Jacob asked Jack if he should sit down for this. Jack smiled and said as a matter of fact he needed to take a walk with him. As they walked down the hall Jacob asked what was wrong.

~~~~

They arrived at a door where Jack pressed a button to signal the party inside there was someone at the door. The door opened and standing before them was Samantha Carter.

"Sam," Jacob said in obvious shock.

"Dad," Sam said as she rushed into his arms.

The two hugged with tears in both of their eyes. Jack knew that this was a private moment and eased out of the room leaving father and daughter alone.

Sam asked her father why he was here and he advised that he had been invited by Jack. He said he was rather surprised to even see Jack considering he had left the Stargate Project but when he saw the heady group Jack was associated with, he was rather impressed. Sam stated she wasn't even aware they had left orbit and Jacob smiled stating they were back at the planet for the summit.

"Why, what's wrong," Jacob said.

"Nothing is wrong, instead everything is right," Sam stated.

"Care to elaborate on that statement?" Jacob asked.

"I talked with Jack earlier and he updated me on CC."

"Still calling her CC, eh? Guess Jack still has a great deal of influence on you."

"What are you talking about? She likes being called CC."

"If I remember correctly wasn't Jack the first to call her CC? Guess her father has a great deal of influence on his daughter too."

"Dad," she said exasperated. "Jack's been calling Catherine CC before he even adopted her."

"But he's been her father longer than that," Jacob said with a smile.

"What are you talking about dad?"

"Sammie, it's obvious. I see a bit of Jack every time my grand daughter smiles at me."

Sam stood there staring at her father gulping for air like a fish out of water.

"When are you going to tell him, you know how he hates secrets."

There was a tone signaling that someone was at Sam's chamber door. When she opened the door Thor was standing there asking her and her father to join the group in the summit hall.

Sam was astounded that Jack, the one person who hates the Goa'ulds came up with a plan to keep them from becoming extinct. Now all she had to do was sell the idea to Lord Yu and the other System Lords. Sam was transported down to the planet and explained the solution proposed to Lord Yu.

"This is not acceptable," Yu stated.

Sam was shocked to hear his reply. He had rejected the only way to keep his race from disappearing. She asked him why it was not acceptable. Yu walked back and forth trying to calm down. He could not believe that this was what they came up with to save his race. Yu stopped and faced Sam stating that he will explain why. He stated he wanted technological assistance because the sarcophagus was not as effective as they once were for his race. Sam pointed out that they would be able to procreate again thus sustaining their race. He scoffed stating procreation supervised by others is not what he had in mind.

"You have failed me Dr. Carter. You will honor our agreement," Yu shouted.

The room filled with a bright light revealing Thor.

"Lord Yu, you asked Dr. Carter to come up with a plan to keep your race from becoming extinct. You did not specify Dr. Carter was to ask for advanced technology," Thor stated.

"This is not what we wanted," Yu stated.

"The plan will take time to put into effect but it is the only way to preserve your race. We have seen how your race takes technology from others and misuses it and we will no longer permit this to happen," Thor stated.

"You make outrageous accusations. We do only what is necessary to survive," Yu said.

"The Goa'ulds have taken technology and misused it to advance their race starting with the Stargate," Thor stated.

"It is wrong for your group to decide when and where my race can procreate. You are doing what you have accused my kind of in the past. There is no difference."

"There is a difference Lord Yu. The Goa'uld will be allowed to procreate without interference from us; instead it will be one of your own who will oversee things."

"Who decides which of the System Lords will be in charge and how can we all be assured that favoritism is not expressed," Yu demanded.

"There is one of your kind who can be trusted to be fair to all the System Lords of high and low ranking," Thor stated.

"Who can not be persuaded by other System Lords," Yu asked.

"The Tok'ra," Sam said softly.

Sam continued by saying the Fifth Race representative knows of Goa'ulds unknown or forgotten long ago by the System Lords. She advised not even the Tok'ra will know the location of these Goa'ulds. She advised the group has already established protection around the ancient world so it can not be located and will procure a queen.

Sam noticed Yu smiling and knew that expression was about to change. She continued by stating there were stipulations to be accepted by the Goa'ulds. Yu asked what the stipulations were. She said The Goa'ulds would no longer be allowed to destroy other races that are not in agreement with Goa'uld beliefs. Yu asked what would happen if one of the System Lords violated the agreement. Sam said the offending System Lord would loose his or her ability to procreate and if the other Goa'ulds did nothing to stop the invading party then all Goa'ulds could loose their right to procreate as well as be subjugated to further castigation by the Stargate group.

Yu said he will think about what he has been told and present it to the other System Lords, telling Sam to remain in her chamber while they discuss the proposal. Sam looked down at the floor stating she would remain. Yu said he will later inform her if he believes she has lived up to the task he asked of her.

~*~*~

Jacob hugged his daughter after she was transported aboard Thor's ship. When Jacob released his hold on his daughter she turned to see the room was filled with the others of the group with each of them giving a slight bow of their head towards her. Thor congratulated Dr. Carter on accomplishing a task few could do; represent one who has wronged her people.

Oma, Opher and Foras left the room leaving Sam, Jacob, Thor and Jack alone in the room. Jacob noticed Sam looking over at Jack and stated Selmac needed to speak with Oma concerning a new Tok'ra queen and left the room.

Thor asked Dr. Carter why she would undertake a task that appeared impossible to complete and be willing to sacrifice her own freedom if she failed.

"When I learned how much time had passed since first being taken by Lord Yu, I knew that loved ones left behind had gone on with their life. I only had one thing to offer and that was my freedom," Sam said as she wiped the tears from her eyes. "…I remember how I felt when I lost my mother and I would do anything including risking my freedom to be with my daughter and spare her from having to grow up without a mother."

"Well speaking for your daughter, she'll be very happy to have her mother back in her life. Guess it's a good thing you have up to two years to contest her adoption," Jack said.

"What is this adoption you speak of Colonel O'Neill," Thor asked.

"Well it's kind of hard to explain. Basically adoption occurs when someone other than a biological parent agrees to take on the responsibility of raising a child as their own child and that is what I did with CC," Jack said.

"I do not understand O'Neill. Why was it necessary for you to adopt your daughter," Thor asked.

Sam's eyes nearly popped out of their socket. She knew what was about to happen, the secret she had kept was about to be revealed to Jack but not by her. Suddenly she was afraid. She feared her delay in telling Jack the truth about his daughter would ruin any chance of them ever being together in the future.

"When Sam was declared dead on our world, I was allowed to adopt CC and then she became my daughter," Jack stated.

"Colonel O'Neill did you not say that adoption occurs when those other than the biological parents raise a child," Thor asked.

"Yes that part is correct Thor. Once Sam was declared to be dead, I had to go through the adoption process so I could raise CC as my daughter," Jack stated.

"I still do not understand why you adopted your own biological daughter Colonel O'Neill," Thor stated.

"Excuse me," Jack said in disbelief.

Sam couldn't take it any longer and ran from the room. She knew Jack could be dense sometimes but she could not believe him being so unwilling to accept the fact that he was truly CC's father.

"Whoa, time out. What just happened here," Jack asked.

"Colonel O'Neill, when a being is transported aboard my ship a beam scans them and reads the unique code of that being. In the case of the humans it reads your DNA. When I transported you and your daughter aboard my ship a scan was done of both of you. The scan revealed that Catherine Carter O'Neill is the culmination of DNA of Dr. Carter and yourself. I had DNA reading of Dr. Carter from when she was previously transported aboard my ship," Thor said.

Jack stood there in shock. He could not believe it, his daughter was really his daughter.

"She lied to me. I can't believe she lied to me all this time," Jack stated then turned to leave the room in an obviously hostile mood.

"There must have been a reason for her to keep this information from you. You should reflect on the knowledge you have just received and use the same compassion you displayed at the summit before speaking with again with Dr. Carter," Thor stated.

~*~*

Sam hesitated in answering her chamber door after it had chimed.

"Sam it's me. Please answer the door," Jack said with empathy in his voice.

Sam walked to the door and stood there for a moment until she heard Jack say "Please" again. She opened the door knowing it was only fair he have his say in what happened.

"Tell me the truth. Is CC really my daughter," Jack asked with tenderness in his voice.

"Yes," was all Sam said.

Jack reached out and grabbed Sam, pulling her into his embrace.

He knew his stubborn attitude and pride made Sam leave the SGC. He had been so angry with her back then but now things were different, he was different. He was being given a second chance at happiness and he was determined not to blow it by letting his stubborn pride get in the way again.

Jack then asked Sam to tell him all about the early years of his daughter. Sam's tears started to fall and she said she was sorry he wasn't there. He told her to tell him about those years and it would be just like he was there.

Jack had been catching Sam up on the latest with CC when he realized that Sam had fallen asleep in his arms. He scooted further down on her bed so he could lay down with Sam still asleep in his arms.

The chiming of the door woke Jack and he eased Sam out of his arms to answer the door. Jacob smiled saying he figured he would find them together. He told Jack that Sam had her reasoning for not telling him and not to be too hard on her. Jack smiled and asked how he could be hard on the woman he loved who gave him a beautiful daughter. Jacob smiled at Jack asking if he knew just how lucky he was to have Sam and CC in his life. Jack then asked Jacob if he could talk with him, saying he had something of a private nature to discuss.

Sam woke up to see Jack smiling at her. He brushed aside a strand of hair from her face and tucked it behind her ear. He asked her to sit up for a moment and as she sat up he eased off the bed and got down onto one knee beside the bed.

~*~*~

The door chimed and Jacob saw tears in his daughter's eyes when she answered the door. He looked at his daughter and asked if those were tears of happiness.

"She said she would marry me dad, if that is what you're asking," Jack said.

"Well it's about time you did right by marrying my daughter," Jacob said chuckle. "Would you two mind some company for a few days? I'll stay with Sam."

"Ah dad, that might be a problem because I don't have a place any more, I'm staying with Jack," Sam replied.

"We'll always have room for you at our place dad," Jack said with a smile. "Besides your timing couldn't be any better."

"Why's that," Jacob asked.

"It's almost Christmas, my favorite time of the year," Jack said with a smile.

"Christmas…" Sam said as she started to cry turning her face into Jack's chest.

"What's wrong Sammie," Jacob asked as he touched Sam's back.

"I've missed so much since I've been gone," Sam said as she continued to cry into Jack's chest.

"Well think of it this way. This is going to be CC's best Christmas. Not only is her grandfather going to be there for Christmas but she'll be getting the best Christmas present ever; she'll get her mother back," Jack said with a smile as he held Sam in his arms.

~*~*~

It was a warm spring morning as Jack looked around at those who had gathered on this happy occasion. He watched as his daughter walked down the aisle followed by her Aunt Janet and then the traditional wedding march started. Jacob dressed in his uniform escorted his daughter down the aisle. Jack looked at Sam and found it suddenly difficult to breath. Daniel elbowed Jack reminding him to breathe. Jack was focused on Sam as she approached him and smiled when her hand was given to him by her father.

Then he finally heard the words he long to hear, "I now pronounce you husband and wife. You may kiss your bride," the minister said. Jack kissed Sam and dipped her as their kiss continued, bringing about cheers from the crowd.

~*~*~

Sam was straightening the pictures on the nightstand of the three of them walking back down the aisle on their wedding day; Jack had CC in one arm and she was holding his other arm. Then there was the shot of Jack hugging her from behind, tickling her so she would laugh for the camera. It was one of the happiest days of her life. Her life had a new beginning the day she married the one man she truly loved for so many years.

She was pulled out of her thoughts by Jack calling for her from the living room. She zipped up her coat as she walked into the living room and was hit with a snowball. Jack was smiling and told Sam she should look where she was going.

"You are so dead," Sam said with a smile as she ran towards him.

"Close the door, you're letting out all the hot air," Jack shouted as he continued his escape to the snow fort that he and CC had built.

Sam pushed the door closed but didn't bother to close it completely as she was more concerned with where Jack was. She knew if Jack made it to the safety of the snow fort then she would be pelted with snowballs. There was only way to prevent this from happening.

"CC, help your mommy. It's the girls against daddy. Get him," Sam hollered.

CC picked up one of the snowballs they had made earlier and threw it at her father running towards her. He dodged the snowball and ran away from the snow fort as CC picked up another snowball to lob it at him. He turned to CC and said he thought they were going to get mommy. CC laughed and said it was the girls against daddy.

"But CC I thought it was us against …" was all Jack was able to say before being tackled to the ground by Sam.

"Dog pile on daddy time," Sam said and CC joined her in jumping on top of Jack and covering him with snow.

"Well the door's unlocked, maybe they didn't hear the doorbell," Mark said.

The family went inside the house and Jacob felt a cold draft coming from the living room. He saw the open door and the puddle of water on the floor and knew exactly what had happened. He told Mark it looks as if everyone was out back.

Mark and the family walked outside and started laughing at the sight of the trio playing in the snow. Jacob was following them out when he noticed that little Lizzie had suddenly stopped and pointed at the pictures on the bookshelf. She turned to her grandfather and asked if that was Grandma Carter. Jacob smiled and said she was correct. She then asked her grandfather who was the boy in the picture. Jacob smiled and told Lizzie that was Charlie and she asked who Charlie was. He said that Charlie was Jack's son. She asked where Charlie was and he said that Charlie had died a long time ago. Lizzie looked back and forth at the two pictures. She asked why they would have pictures of dead people on the mantle.

Jacob sighed and said because they love and missed Grandma and Charlie and want to always remember them. Lizzie smiled and said that was neat. At hearing the laughter going on outside Lizzie ran off to join the rest of the family.

Jacob watch Lizzie leave and stopped for a moment, looking at the pictures on the bookshelf. He had seen the pictures up there when he last visited but there was something different about them this time. He shook his head reminding himself they were just pictures and that he was just imagining things.

"You're right they do seem happier," Selmac thought to Jacob.

"They're just pictures and pictures capture a single moment in time and can not change," Jacob thought back to Selmac.

"That may be so but it does appear as if they appear to be happier than when we last visited Sam," Selmac thought.

"That's ridiculous," Jacob thought back to her and stepped outside on the deck.

He started laughing out loud as everyone had gotten into the spirit of things and were playing in the snow.

"Then perhaps our view of them has changed because there is love again in this house and amongst us all," Selmac thought.

"Perhaps," Jacob thought as he was hit with a snowball.

"Well don't just stand there, get in there and show them how to properly throw a snowball," Selmac thought to Jacob.

Jacob scooped up some snow that had been on the rail of the deck and was packing it in the shape of a ball to lob at the group.

"I don't care what you say Jacob, Elizabeth and Charlie look happier. I know it is because the ones they left behind are happy. It's like a new beginning for their loved ones they left behind," Selmac thought happily to herself.

*~*~* The End ? ~*~*~