samandjack.net

Story Notes: Spoilers:_ None really mention Felger

Author's Notes:_ This is the first fanfic I've written in a year I suppose, maybe two, it's only short, somewhat pointless (the original title was going to be something along those lines) but anyway, enjoy the Sam and Jack goodness.

My obsession:_ http://grace.modblog.com


She walked in the room and I knew she had done before I turned to look, I know the sound of her footsteps, the rhythm of her walk, the strength she opens doors with. I know her as well as she knows herself and more so. The love came before this knowledge, I know that, the love stemmed from attraction, from lust and has turned into something much more. The knowledge came from the love, being in love with her, seeing her, talking to her, listening to her voice, watching her eyes as she smiles and sighs. After so many years I'm not surprised that I know when she enters the room, and can tell how much sleep she's had, how many coffees she's had since she got up and if her dreams were nice the night before. I've spent too many debriefings paying attention to Sam instead of the mission details.

"Morning Carter" I say before turning around. When I do so I see her smiling at me, a coffee in her hand, She sits down at the table and I move away from the picture I've been staring at.

"Colonel" she says. "Good morning" I sit opposite her and take a look at her face, she's in a good mood, a lot of sleep, nice dreams. I smile.

"Sleep well?" I ask already knowing her answer.

"Very well" she says. I nod, watching her as she sips on her coffee. "Are you okay sir?"

"Fine thank you" I don't know why but I woke up in an excellent mood this morning, perhaps from a dream I only vaguely remember or perhaps it's because over the last months things have been peaceful here at the SGC.

"Good" she says.

"You do something to your hair?" I ask. I noticed this Monday but I never said anything then.

"Yeah, just a trim" she says, flicking the bottom of it.

"It's nice" I smile and again there is silence in the room. Peaceful silence, gentle and it's nice. I wish I had a paper to read instead of Daniel's report. Sam will have read it no doubt, she hasn't even touched it, she's just sipping her coffee and waiting. I give in and open the file, I look at the pictures first because I know the first word in the report will have at least three syllables and hurt my brain.

"Why does Daniel want to go here again?" I ask her. She looks over at me, she knows I haven't read the report and the look on her face shows she doesn't mind.

"He hopes it holds a location to the location of the Lost City"

"Oh right"

"Something about a key to the city"

"That sounds a little brief Carter. You did read his report?" she grins.

"It was more long winded than usual. I felt had better things to be doing"

"Watch it Carter, you're starting to sound like me." I say. She doesn't laugh as I expect her to, but she just smiles, reminding me of what had attracted me to her in the first place.

"That's not such a bad thing" she says. I look at her, waiting for the insult at the end, trying to hear any sarcasm in her voice but it's not there. That was a compliment. I'm shocked, she doesn't usually compliment me so freely but then we are alone right now. I don't say anything in return but I smile.

I sit back in my chair and look around a little before settling my eyes on Sam again. She is looking over the report and not at me. So I can sit here and stare at her until someone turns up. I always come early when I can, because I know Sam is always early. I often wonder why that is and often hope it's because she knows I'll be early. Our relationship is going no where, it's evolved from attraction to love and the way we act around each other has changed a bit too but beyond that it's still the same as ever. We do our job and at the end of the working day she does more work while I go home and have a beer. I find this depressing sometimes, it's an endless standard that I know can't last forever because one day she'll be in charge of the entire programme and I'll have retired, trying to catch the non-existent fish at my cabin. I often wonder whether or not to cut my loses and end the standard now before I get too old and too tired.

"What's on your mind?" she asks looking up at me, smiling, the question in her eyes.

"You are" I blurt out, dam I didn't mean to say that, it just came out. Her face is a picture right now. "I, um, er" my mouth won't work, I can't seem to form words. "was just wondering why you're always so early to briefings?"

"Why are you?" she asks. I smile, I should've seen that coming.

"To try and catch up on the mission before I have to talk about it with the General" she laughs. "And you?"

"Because I know you'll be in here" she says, well, that was unexpected, a little honesty, I don't quite know what to say, so I'll just smile at her. She smiles back, but she's gone a little red and shy. I should say something, I know I should.

"You come to see me?." She goes a darker shade of red and I really should learn how to control my mouth a little more. I smile. "Just…..sorry," Man I sound like an idiot.

"Sometimes I work so hard, with Daniel and guys like Felger and it's the only time I get to catch up with you and have a conversation that doesn't involve science" she says. I'm surprised, considering how devoted she is, and I'm surprised at how honest she is being. But I do understand, when you only have one thing in common with someone it can get a little repetitive and frustrating.

"I understand" I tell her, she smiles but her cheeks are still red. The peaceful silence returns, there is no awkward feeling surrounding her honesty, or mine. It's nice, but that's where things are between us now, that's how the relationship has evolved.

"Did you see that new Simpson's episode?" she asks after a little while. I grin.

"I did, it was great" I say. "'I can't believe we met Mr. Bean'" I say imitating Homer perfectly. She laughs as Daniel walks in.

"What's so funny?." he asks.

"Did you see the Simpsons last night?" I ask. He shakes his head. "Then..never mind" Sam smiles and finishes her coffee while I try to at least skim over the report.

And then the day carries on as normal, Sam cheeks return to a healthy pink but the smile remains right through the day. Our relationship ambles on as normal too, we know we care and we know we can't do anything about it, beyond sharing a moment of honesty together. At least I get to find out something new about her, which I always enjoy.

Science, Simpsons and Sam Carter. Just another day.

r.l.w