samandjack.net

Story Notes: Spoilers: Slight for Broca Divide, Solitudes(giggling),

Season: 7

Feedback: PLEASE!!! I live for feedback!!!! It'll help me write more. :-) Flames are used to roast marshmellows.

Authors Note: Okay, I promise to get back to 'Every Move You Make'. Soon. :-) The 12th was my mom's b-day, the 16th was mine, the 19th was my sisters, and I've been getting ready for Christmas, not to mention an essay that I'm working on for a local contest. In other words, I've been very, very busy. It's a miracle that I finished this! I hope you enjoy it! I didn't have time to have it beta'd. so it's probably full of mistakes! Oh well.

This is a response to the 2003 samandjack Christmas challenge:
*Christmas off-world (I kind of fulfilled that one. :-)
*An S/J hand-hold
*The summary has to be a Christmas song. (I would have used more lyrics to the song, becuase it fits perfectly, but it would have given away to much of the story)

Copyright Jessica Rodgers December 2003


Jack looked up from his watch blinking midnight, and cheerfully spoke to his team. "Merry Christmas, guys." He ignored Teal'c's raised eyebrow, and Daniels muttered "Shut up, Jack.", and looked instead to his strangely silent 2IC. She had huddled in the corner, away from the three men, unwilling to take part in conversation of any kind. Jack knew that she was upset about her father unable to come for Christmas for yet another year. He glanced at the archaeologist who had turned over to go to sleep, having, after seven years, finally mastered the art of falling asleep anywhere. "I will kel'no'reem." Teal'c announced solemnly, as he started to meditate. Standing up quietly, Jack walked over to the Major. "Carter?" He questioned tentatively. She lifted her head to look up at him, quickly giving an angry swipe to the tears threatening to form in her blue eyes. "Yes, Sir?" she asked, steadfastly looking past him. "Are you okay?" The seldom heard tenderness in his voice did her in. "Um, not really." She gave a bitter laugh. "It's Christmas, and we're stuck in a cage surrounded by ominous cavemen." They weren't really cavemen, she reasoned to herself, but based on their clothes, or rather their distinct lack of, they certainly fit the bill well. Not to mention the lustfully delighted looks they had thrown her way. And the huge fire they were building didn't help to ease her fears at all. Yep, definately cavemen. Glancing over his shoulder and confirming his other teammates were still in the same position, Jack carefully lowered himself to the ground next to Sam. "Hey," he said, using the same tender tone. "It'll be okay." He, too, had seen the looks the men had given his Major, and he'd be darned if he'd let anything, especially *that*, happen to her. He reached out hesitantly and took her hand in his. She stared silently at their entwined fingers, shivering when he leaned closer. "We're SG-1." he whispered in her ear. "We've been in worse situations. Remember the real cavemen we met?" She ducked her head in embarrasment, thankful for the cover of night and darkness. "Yeah." He grinned at her discomfort. "Well, there ya go, we got out of that didn't we? Well, not before some interesting happenings, but we got out of that." He leaned into her playfully, pushing her onto her side. She laughed, drawing the attention of the guards surrounding them. Jack raised up his free hand. "It's okay, guys. Sorry, we'll be quiet." He tugged on her hand still in his and pulled her upright. "See, all you do is get us in trouble, Carter. Besides, don't I have a rule about giggling?" She looked up at him, laughter dancing in her eyes. "Yes Sir, you do, but I wasn't giggling, I was laughing, there was a difference." "Oh." A cloud of silence settled over the two, and they sat there, lost in thought. Tightening his hold on her fingers, Jack spoke. "Anyway, we have to get home; you have presents to open." "I do?" He nodded, his eye's lighting up with the childlike quality she loved about him. "What are they?" She asked, a grin on her face. "You have to wait until Christmas, Carter." She gave him a ponted look. "It *is* Christmas, Colonel." "Nope. Not until we're back on Earth safe and sound in my living room opening presents. Only then will it be Christmas." "Oh, okay." He looked down into her face, happily memorizing each detail. She was extremely beautiful, and hopefully, if everything went as planned, she would be his. He looked to her lips, longing to reach out and kiss them. Sam's face took on a slightly panicked look. Her commanding officer was suddenly eyeing were with an expression much akin to those that of the cavemen. Jack looked up to meet her eyes and smiled, squeezing her hand. "Merry Christmas, Carter." "Merry Christmas, Sir." He leaned his head back on the bars of the cage, and pictured her reaction when she opened her gift. He had spent weeks getting everything ready. Everything was prepared. The time was perfect, the ring was perfect, and she was perfect. He was suddenly catapulted out of his daydream, the sounds of drums and chanting breaking into his senses. Uh oh. Jack sadly relinquished her hand and hurried to shake Daniel, who, while learning to fall asleep, hadn't quite yet mastered the art of waking up right away. "Daniel." He hissed. "Daniel!" Daniel sat up quickly. "Jack? What's... Oh, hello." Turning quickly, Jack stood face to face with one of their captors. The man grabbed his arm harshly, pulling him out of the cage, while motioning for his cohorts to do the same to the rest of the team. Being led toward the fire, Jack spoke up. "Oh look guys, we're invited to Christmas dinner." Jack could almost hear the raised eyebrow in Teal'c's repsonse. "I do believe that they intend to make *us* Christmas dinner, O'Neill." "Thank's Teal'c." "You are welcome." Being pulled up behind him, Sam spoke to the Colonel. "What was that you said about us getting out of this?" They all stood in front of the pit, tensing themselves for the inevitable push. "Hold it right there!" The team looked up in unison to see to two more SG teams coming their way. "See Major," Jack said grinning. "I do believe this constitutes 'getting out of here'." "Yes, Sir." She smiled in return. Maybe Christmas could be saved after all.

*****SG1*****SG1*****SG1*****SG1*****SG1*****SG1*****SG1*****SG1*****SG1

"Hey!" Daniel yelped in protest as he was hit with the popcorn. "Is not hay for horses, Daniel Jackson?" The team stopped their popcorn fight long enough to look in Teal'c's direction. "T." Jack exclaimed with a smirk. "You made a joke." "Indeed." "Cool." That said, Jack continued his popcorn assault on his team. Cassandra laughed at their antics. "Uncle Jack." she said, pouncing on him. "Isn't it time to open presents?" "I don't know kiddo," he said, wrapping her in his arms. "You guys ready to open your loot?" "I know I am." General Hammond said, coming closer to the tree. The other occupants in the room, SG-1, Janet, and Cassie, followed his lead. Having gotten back to the SGC in the wee morning hours, the team had gotten a few hours of sleep, then met up again at Jack's for dinner. "I distinctly remember being told I have a present to open." Sam said, looking teasingly toward Jack. "Did I say that?" Jack responded innocently. "Yes." "Oh." Jack smiled to himself. There was no way that he would let her open it yet; it was special, and it would wait until the last. "I have one for ya Sam." Cassie told her, leaping from Jack's lap and diving into the pile of gifts. Jack sat back and watched his guests open their presents, occaisonally opening one himself. "I guess that was the last one." Cassie said after all the gifts were opened. "Not quite." They all looked curiously at Jack as he walked over to the hall closet, bringing out an enormous box, covered with festive gift wrap. The teenagers eye's widened as he brought it closer to the group. They all watched, wondering who it was for, the General sitting with a pleased expression. "Merry Christmas, Carter." Jack told her as he handed the box to her. She lifted it, laughing nervously. "It's really light." She tore through the paper and opened it, surprised to see it filled with packing peanuts. "Thank you, Sir." She teased. "Just what I've always wanted." Jack gave her a small smile. "Keep digging." Watching him closely, Sam dug her hand in trying to find the elusive item, her eyes gleaming in triumph as her fingers came into contact with it. "I found.... oh. my." Her eyes darted frantically between Jack and the General who was watching the exchange closely. "Sir?" She squeaked. "What is it, Sam?" Janet could contain her curiosity no longer. She was dying to see the item that Sam was holding in the box, just out of her eyesight. Jack kept his eyes focused on the Major, starting to think that maybe he shouldn't have gone forward with it. Maybe he should have kept things as they were, not tried to interrupt the balance. "Things are alright on my end, Major." The General spoke kindly, trying to reassure her. He, too, was getting nervous, hoping he had advised Jack correctly. He had helped the younger man prepare this moment, and prayed that it wouldn't come crashing down around him. "Colonel, I...." Jack turned pale, knowing what was coming. His survivaly instincts wanted to laugh it off, say it was a joke, anything to try and save his dignity, but he couldn't. "I don't understand." "I think you do." The quiet words were out before he realized he had spoken. "What *is* it?" Not breaking eye contact with the Colonel, Sam slowly raised a ring box from the package. An audible gasp was heard from the group, and then silence. Jack slowly reached out and opened the small box, revealing a diamond engagement ring. Sam looked down at it, and gasped slightly. "It's beautiful." She whispered. Sam was having an inner struggle, a part of her wanting so badly to say yes, while the other part reminded her that she had a duty, that she had to say no. She had buried her feelings for him deeply, trying so hard to forget that she was in love with him, and as she looked up to him again, she struggled to bring those feelings to the surface. She watched the play of emotions on his face, the loss, the hurt, the, dare she say, love. She looked again to General Hammond who was smiling encouragingly. "You're right." She whispered, looking again at the ring. "I do understand." Jack listened with bated breath, sure that she would say no, yet still praying she would accept him. Cassie pushed up her mouth from where it was hanging and spoke with typical teenage impatience. "This is crazy. Sam, I've overheard *way* to many conversations between you and mom to believe for one second that you would actually say no. You love him." Sam closed her eyes, cheeks turning red. "She's right." The words were spoken so quietly that Jack almost missed them. Sam raised her eyes to Jacks determindly. "I do love you. This is everything I've ever wanted. It's just, after so long of trying to ignore it, to be able to tell you, I." Jack's face was the picture of awe as Sam admitted that she loved him. His insides were doing flip flops while his heart was collecting twenty bucks from his head. "Oh f'crying out loud." Cassie rolled her eyes. "Just say yes already." Sam smiled slowly. "Yes." Three letters, two people, and one lifetime. "Yes?" Jack asked her, certain his ears were playing tricks on him. "Yes." "*Yes*!" Cassie cheered, bringing the rest of the group out of their daze. The two on the couch looked at each other shyly as people chattered happily around them. After having received congratulations from all their friends, the couple sat back on the couch, happy in the others arms. "So." "So." Jack smiled. Leaning forward, he plucked the ring from the box and slid it on to her finger. "I love you, Carter." He said softly, for her ears only. He leaned in further, capturing her lips lightly. They broke apart to cries of "get a room", and smiled, only slightly embarassed. Sam features suddenly clouded. "What about SG-1?" She asked. seeking out his hand. "It's yours." "What?" He nodded. "I'm the SGC's new tactical advisor. I'll be advising you by going along on missions, but *you* are the new CO." General Hammond walked over to the two. "Congratulations, you both really deserve this. Major, you should know that Jack walked into my office with his resignation in hand, dated a few years ago, I might add." Jack ducked his head, embarassed. The General continued, undaunted. "I convinced him to stay. You'll be staying the same SG-1, just not in the same chain of command, quote unqoute." He gave them a wink. "Merry Christmas." "You too, Sir, and thank you." Sam looked at Jack with wonder. "You did all of this for me?" He gave a self-conscious shrug. "Mostly for me. What can I say, you've gotten under my skin, Major." "And if I'd said no?" "Well, I was rather operating on the assumption that you wouldn't. You did give me a good scare for a few moments, though." She leaned into him, resting her head on his shoulder. "I was surprised. I didn't even know if you still cared." "Oh, Sam." Jack wrapped his arms tightly around his fiancee. "I never stopped. If anything, it's continued to grow." His voice dropped to a soft murmer. "I'd still rather die than lose you." She reached up to press a quick kiss to his lips, then settled back into his arms. "How, uh, how do you think your dad'll react?" "Oh, well, he likes you." "Not for long." They were silent for a moment until Jack spoke again. "He's right, ya know." "Huh?" Sam twisted to be able to look at him better. "If I were your father, and goodness knows I could be, I wouldn't want you to marry me." "First of all," Sam spoke firmly. "you're not old enough to be my father, second, age is hardly a reason for him to not want me to be with you." Jack gave a small smile. "You've seen alot Sam, but not as much as your father has; he know's what I am." His hand lifted to stroke her face. "I'm trained to be a killer Sam." He said, ashamedly. "That's not the kind of man a father wants for his daughter." "You told me once that killing a man was no badge of honor. You've done what was required of you, but you took no pride in it. I want to marry you. I want to have a family with you; I love you." "A family?" He whispered. Not after Charlie. What woman would trust him to have children? "A family." She kissed him again, sealing her promise. "I...." Jack was speechless. She wanted to have a family with him! He looked to the door when the bell rang. Disentangling himself from Sam, he got up to answer it. "Uh, hi dad." Jack spoke in a slightly strangled voice when he saw the visitor. "Come in." "Dad!" Sam jumped from the couch and hurried into her fathers arms. "I thought you couldn't come." "I thought so too, but it worked out. Merry Christmas, Sam." He looked around curiously at the group who had gone strangely silent at his arrival. Sam exchanged a rather frantic look with Jack. It was simple really, all she had to do was to get her dad to accept her upcoming marriage before he killed her fiancee. She met Jack's eyes, and immediately felt at ease. Whatever happened, she would have him, the best present that she had ever found under her tree.