samandjack.net

Story Notes: Rating: PG-13, UST to the max. but no more than I think you'll see in any episode! Sam/Jack!

Spoilers: Season Seven, Episode "Revisions".


They walked by the bodies so often that she lost count. Pitted suitcases strewn everywhere, fragments of fabric being whipped around by the toxic wind, skeletal hands outstretched either back towards their home or outwards towards some sanctuary that didn't exist. After the second or third trip she could close her eyes and go on autopilot, her steps still secure and careful as the evacuation continued. Finally the iris closed behind her and she pulled off her mask for one last time, taking a deep breath of the stale air of the SGC even as the refugees were being herded towards the infirmary.

"Carter?" The familiar voice jabbed her ears as she bolted upright, pulling her head up from the desktop. The lab was dark, the dimmed hallway lights signalling that night had fallen outside the Mountain.

"Carter?" The Colonel moved a little closer, his hands stuck in his pockets. "You okay?"

"Yes, sir." Rubbing one eye with the palm of her hand she turned on the desk lamp. "I must have fallen asleep."

"Been a busy day. A few days, actually." He moved closer, eeriely silhouetted in the light. "Hammond says we'll have them all relocated within a few weeks or so. Daniel found a little planet just far enough off the beaten path that they'll be left alone." A thumb jerked towards the open door. "So. I'll give you a lift home if you want."

"No, I'm fine." Her hand curled around a nearby mug of cold coffee. "I was just working on the report." She drew a shuddering breath, rubbing her eyes again. "We don't know who the other two were yet."

"The other two?" O'Neill came even closer, standing right beside her. A frown crossed his face as he looked down at the printouts.

"When we entered the Dome the computer immediately began to recalculate the resources necessary to maintain the population. It had to remove four people to balance things out." Carter's voice dropped down. "We know of two, but."

"And no one would remember. Other than us, that is." He rubbed the back of his neck. "Look, Carter."

"I was hoping that the computer records might have actual names." Her eyes closed as she rubbed her eyes again, this time with both hands. "If we could just get a name."

"It's not our fault."

"Sir."

"It's not our fault, Carter."

"But."

"Sam." A hand fell on her shoulder. "It's not our fault. It was the computer and whoever programmed that monster to do this. We didn't know; we couldn't know. And when we found out we did something about it."

She continued to stare at the printouts, sliding them aside to see the pictures of the toxic landscape.

"It's part of the way things are. We save whoever we can and do the best we can." She felt, rather than saw, him shrug behind her. "It's part of the job."

"I guess." She pushed the photographs to one side, closing her eyes. "I just get a bit. overwhelmed at times."

"No kidding." The hand moved to her back, rubbing over the black tshirt in small circles. "Welcome to the club."

"I just wonder if it all balances out, you know?" She leaned back, allowing herself a guilty pleasure in his touch as he continued to rub her back.

"Of course it does, Carter. We've already been to Hell, remember?" The soft chuckle warmed the back of her neck. "Look, I've been at this a lot longer than you. And I'm not proud of that, but you've got to believe that it all does balance out in the end."

"You've made some of those calls." It was a blank statement.

"Yes, I have. You've been there." They both remembered. A sickening thud into the closed iris behind him, her staring at him for a long second before turning away. "Can't say I regret any of those calls."

"Not one?"

The hand paused, then continued its circuit. "I don't make those calls for myself. I make them for my team and for my planet." He chuckled. "Need a refresher in Command Tactics, Carter?"

"Not yet, sir." She shook her head. "It just seems so much simpler at some times than others."

"Hey." Taking ahold of her shoulders he turned her around on the stool until they were face to face. "If it ever gets too easy, we're all in trouble."

"Duly noted." She looked down at her hands. "Maybe I will take you up on that drive home."

"See? You know how to make good calls." His hand reached behind her, turning the lamp off.

Sam closed her eyes, feeling his body heat close; too damned close in the dark. Suddenly she felt a pressure on her lips, a soft touch disappearing so quickly that she could only wonder if it had ever happened. Just as quickly the air around her went cool, returning to the usual lab temperature.

"Carter." Her CO appeared in the doorway, backlit by the dim lights in the hallway. "Let's go."

Brushing her fingers across her lips she stood up, walking towards him.

---------------------------------- the end --------------------------------