samandjack.net

Story Notes: Spoilers: Heroes (and a few other very general ones from various eps)

Season: Future

Sequel: none

Author's Note: What can I say? I'm a sucker for happy endings. Believe it or not, this fic was inspired by the "homecoming" drabble challenge. I'm only 3,366 words over the limit and I don't think I actually used the word anywhere in this. *vbg* Feedback is, as always, appreciated.


Jack O'Neill was bored.

And uncomfortable. His shoes pinched and his tie was choking him.

Uncomfortable and bored.

How far away is this place anyway? he wondered. It seemed like they'd been riding forever; stuck in this stupid minivan.

He hated riding in the back seat.

Even his butt was asleep.

He shifted in his seat trying to find a comfortable position. It didn't help.

Maybe he could get them to stop for more snacks. It had been long enough since he'd asked the last time. Hadn't it? He grabbed his soda cup from the cup holder and shook it. The ice rattled but he was sure he heard the unmistakable sound of liquid sloshing as well.

He sucked on the straw, slurping noisily.

"Jack, please."

"What?"

"You know what. Now stop it."

"But I'm thirsty!" he protested, slurping on the straw again to emphasize his point.

"Jack!"

Oh crap. There was no mistaking that tone of voice. "Yes, sir. Stopping." He dropped the cup back into the holder and sighed.

He wished he'd brought his Gameboy. They should have warned him about how long the trip would take. He frowned at the backs of their heads.

It was their fault he was bored.

He was hungry too.

It had been absolutely ages since breakfast and the chips from the gas station were history. They were long gone like the soda – the very large soda.

He really wanted to stop again and not just for more food.

"Can you please stop somewhere?" he asked, deciding the urgency of the matter outweighed the risk of annoying them further.

"No!"

"But Da—"

"We are not stopping, Jack! That's final."

"But I gotta pee!" he protested.

"Then you'd better tie a knot in it," he replied, glaring in the rearview mirror. "Because we aren't stopping."

She laughed softly, "I told you not to let him get such a large drink." Without turning around, she continued, "Jack, our exit is less than ten minutes away. I'm sure you can wait that long, can't you?"

"For cryin' out loud! Can we please just hurry?"

"Why do you always wait until we're almost there anyway?"

"I asked you to stop a long time ago."

"No you didn't, Jack."

"Yes, I did."

"You did not."

"I did too."

"You said you wanted something to eat. You didn't say anything about the bathroom."

"Well, I wanted to go to the bathroom too," Jack argued.

"You should have gone at the gas station."

"I didn't have to go then. I have to go now."

"I told you that was our last stop."

"No, you didn't."

"Yes, I did, Jack."

"Did not!"

"I did too!" he yelled back, slamming his fist against the steering wheel. "Would you look at what he does to me?" he asked her.

"Just calm down," she said. "We're almost there."

"That's what you said an hour ago," Jack muttered.

"Look, here's our exit. Now straighten your tie." She reached for her purse and dug in it until she found a comb. She passed it back to him, "And do something with that hair!"

Jack tugged his tie straight and swiped the comb across his head a few times. "Better?" he asked, holding the comb out for her.

She turned and looked at him, frowning. "It'll have to do," she said, taking the comb back from his hand and shoving it back in her purse.

The van stopped at a security gate flanked by several serious looking MPs. Papers were handed over and examined while even more MPs inspected the vehicle. They even brought a dog out that sniffed it all over.

The MP with a clipboard peered into the window and stared at Jack, glanced at his paperwork, and then back at Jack. He handed the documents back through the driver's window. "You're cleared," he said, saluting. "Just follow the signs to the parking area and someone will be there to transport you to the main facility."

Jack grinned at him and returned a haphazard salute of his own. The guard's eyes widened slightly and Jack saw him start to smile as they pulled away from the gate.

It didn't take them long to reach the parking lot. A captain in his dress blues was waiting with their security passes. Jack examined his photo carefully. "Cool!"

"The general is waiting for you, Colonel O'Neill" the captain explained. He led them to a waiting tram, where Jack happily claimed the last seat so he could ride backwards.

"Seatbelts are required," the captain said.

"I'm not gonna fall off!"

"Jack, don't argue."

"It's orders, sir. We all have to wear them."

"Alright already!" Jack snapped the buckle into place. "See? It's on! Let's go."

The tram lurched and they were on their way.

Just a few minutes later, although it had seemed much longer to Jack, they were at another security station. They showed their IDs and paperwork and waited while everything was checked and verified – again.

Finally, they moved on down the corridor and stopped in front of an elevator.

The doors opened and the general stepped out.

"Gramps!" Jack yelled, launching himself forward and wrapping his arms around the old man. He nearly overbalanced them both but the eldest O'Neill took a step backwards, regaining his balance while he settled two strong hands on his grandson's shoulders.

"Hey, kid. Miss me?" he asked, ruffling little Jack's hair with one hand.

"You bet!"

"Dad, his hair…" Jack's mother shook her head.

"Ah, he's an O'Neill. It's a battle you can't win."

"Don't I know it," she replied, laughing. She stepped forward and gave her father-in-law a hug and a peck on the cheek.

"Hi, Dad. You're looking well." Jack's dad gave his father a hug.

"Well you know how it is," Gramps shot back, patting his still trim belly. "Gotta keep in shape or your mother will leave me for some hot young colonel twenty years my junior."

"I doubt it. Where is Mom anyway?"

"In her lab. Where else? She always did prefer her doohickeys to me, ya know. It's a wonder she ever noticed me at all," he said and gave Jack a wink.

"I think it would be hard to not notice any O'Neill," Jack's mom teased. She smiled at her husband and he grinned widely. Nobody said anything and Jack shifted impatiently.

"Gramps," he whispered.

"What is it?" Gramps asked him, bending at the waist so he could whisper in his ear.

"I gotta pee!"

The captain, waiting unobtrusively for the impromptu reunion to be concluded, was unable to contain a snort of laughter.

"There's an O'Neill for ya," his granddad said proudly. "Gets right to the point, doesn't he?"

"Yes, General," the captain replied.

"Okay, Jack. Let's head on down to the next security level and while they're clearing all of you I'll show you where you can take care of that little problem."

"Okay, Gramps."

"You'll have to be quick though. Your Uncle T is due to arrive real soon and you don't wanna miss your chance to see the gate in action."

"Really?"

"Yep."

"Cool!"

"Who are you kidding, Dad? You want to see it just as badly as he does."

"So?" Jack grinned as his granddad led them into the elevator. "What did you expect? I'd retire and never look back? They may have put me out to pasture but this old warhorse still has a few uses every now and then ya know." The elevator lurched and they started their descent. "But it has been awhile," he admitted.

"I still can't quite believe it won't be here anymore," Jack's dad said.

"Oh you know how the military is about these things. Never mind the fact that Cheyenne was good enough for us all those years. Nowadays it's gotta be bigger, better – more expensive. Ol' George sure would have gotten a kick out of it all though."

"Why's that, Gramps?" Jack asked. He loved to hear his grandfather tell his stories and General Hammond was one of many legends in the O'Neill household.

"It's going to Texas! They went and built a brand new base for the SGC. Hammond Air Force Base – new home of Stargate Command."

"I hear the committee wanted to call it O'Neill."

"Now why would they go and do a thing like that?" Gramps laughed. "I stepped on more than a few toes in my time. Besides, the General deserves the honor." He fell silent and Jack frowned at the serious expression on his grandfather's face.

"Are you sad, Gramps?"

"Sad? No, not the kind of sad you mean I think. It's good to remember the people that were important in your life."

"Like I remember Granny Wilson?" Jack asked. His mother smiled sadly and Jack saw his dad reach out to hold her hand tightly.

"Exactly like that," Gramps told him.

The elevator stopped and the doors opened. The airmen on duty snapped to attention and saluted smartly.

Jack smiled as his dad and granddad returned their salutes.

"General. Colonel. Sirs, it's an honor to meet you both."

"Thank you, Captain," Gramps replied. "Do me a favor. Show young Jack here where the facilities are located. It's another long elevator ride to the bottom."

"Yes, Sir!" The captain saluted again.

"You're taking my grandson for a pee not running an op against a System Lord, son."

"Yes, General. Sorry."

"Dad, please."

"What? I'm just sayin'…"

* * * * *

"Go ahead. Open the iris."

"Can I Gramps?"

"You betcha. Your old Gramps still has some pull around this place ya know."

Jack smiled and placed his hand on the keypad. His grin grew even bigger as the iris retracted with a metallic thump, revealing the active wormhole.

The technician keyed in the confirmation code and everyone turned their attention to the empty ramp below. The wormhole's surface rippled and a robed figure, staff weapon in hand, stepped through.

Jack felt a hand on his shoulder and moved aside to let his granddad activate the microphone.

"Welcome back, Teal'c!"

Teal'c inclined his head slowly and then lifted his head to stare up at them. "I am most pleased to be here, O'Neill."

"Still got that way with words, huh T?" Gramps was already backing away from the console, "Coming?" he asked.

Jack nodded and the two of them headed out the door and down the steps.

Teal'c met them at the gateroom door.

"O'Neill!"

The two men embraced and Jack watched Gramps thump the big man on the back.

"It's great to see you, buddy."

"Indeed," Teal'c replied, stepping backwards. He caught sight of Jack and smiled.

"Hi, Uncle T!"

Teal'c crouched down and Jack ran forward to throw his arms around his neck.

"You are growing quickly, Jack O'Neill. You will be a fine warrior one day."

"Ya think so?"

"Indeed," Teal'c said, standing again.

"Look, Teal'c. Do me a favor and don't let his mother hear you say that, okay?"

"As you wish, O'Neill."

"Teal'c! I'm sorry I'm late."

"Hi, Nana! Are you done playing with your doohickies?"

Jack's grandmother gave her husband a mock glare, but ruined the effect by laughing.

"Hello, Jack!" she said, sweeping him up in a hug.

"Samantha," Teal'c said.

"It's good to see you, Teal'c," she said. "Don't be so stiff and formal. Come give me a hug already." They hugged and Jack thought he saw his grandmother wipe a hand across her eyes. "We don't see enough of you these days, Teal'c."

"I got to open the iris, Nana!"

"Did you now? No wonder you didn't come to see me when you arrived. How could I possibly compete with that?"

"Gramps said you were busy."

"I figured you had your head buried in the guts of whatever gizmos they haven't packed up and shipped off yet."

"Believe it or not, they're managing just fine with out me."

"I don't believe it," Gramps said and suddenly Jack wasn't sure he was joking.

"Where are the kids?" she asked.

"Way to change the subject, Sam."

"Jack, please."

"Up there," he pointed at the control room.

"Is Daniel here yet?"

"You have to ask?" She gave him a look and he shrugged. "He was due an hour ago. That means he should be here just any minute now."

"Are we gonna eat when he gets here?"

"In a few hours, Jack," his grandmother said. "Now that Uncle T is here, they'll be setting up for the ceremony. There's a reception in the mess hall afterwards."

"A few hours? Gramps, I'm hungry!"

"I bet we can find you something," his grandfather said. "How about some cake?"

"Jack! His mother will have a fit."

"Don't let her fool you. Your Nana likes cake just as much as you and I. Besides, what are Grampses for if not to feed ya cake and spoil your dinner?"

"Fishing!" Jack shouted. "Remember you promised, Gramps."

"Yeah, sure, ya betcha. A week at the cabin – I remember."

"Are you coming too, Nana?"

"I haven't missed a fishing trip in a long, long time, Jack," she answered, turning to look back at her husband.

"It might not be quite as… exciting as it once was," his granddad returned with a grin. "But I'll do my best."

"Fishing is fun!" Jack agreed, slipping his hand into his granddad's grasp. "Uncle T, can you stay and go with us?"

"Yeah, Teal'c. You could come with," Gramps said brightly.

"I regret that I must return to Chulak in two days time," Teal'c informed them solemnly. "I must continue with the training of our young warriors."

"Sure ya do, Teal'c."

One eyebrow lifted in response.

Gramps laughed. "Don't worry, Teal'c. You're off the hook."

They entered the control room again and Jack hung back to stay out of another round of hugs and greetings. His attention wandered and was caught by a nearby control panel. He glanced at his parents and grandparents and saw they were all still busy talking to each other.

Nobody was looking.

He reached out his hand and brushed one fingertip across one of the many buttons on the console.

"I don't think you should touch that," a voice whispered in his ear. Jack turned saw the speaker put one finger to his lips. "Shhhhhhh…."

"Uncle Daniel!" Jack whispered.

"Your grandfather isn't a big fan of people touching things they shouldn't you know."

Jack nodded reluctantly.

"Don't worry," Daniel said. "I won't tell. Come here."

Jack stepped forward and Daniel squeezed him tightly.

"Well look who decided to show up!"

"Hey Jack."

"I thought we'd have to start without you."

"The ceremony? That's not scheduled for hours yet, is it?"

"Lunch, Daniel. We were just about to go grab some."

"We'd better go now before everyone starts hugging again," Jack commented.

"Jack, maybe we'd all like to spend a bit of time catching up," his dad scolded.

"Can't you catch up while we eat something?"

Jack's grandmother laughed. "He definitely proves the theory that there's no denying genetics."

"You have no idea," his mother said, shaking her head.

"What's that supposed to mean?" his dad asked.

"Never mind," she said laughing. "Let's go get him some food before he falls over."

* * * * *

The last few hours had passed by in a whirlwind.

They'd had cake.

And talked. At least the adults had talked and Jack had listened.

He had stayed very quiet and hadn't fiddled (his grandmother's word) with anything. Jack simply ate his cake – his mother's cake too – and squashed the urge to interrupt every time someone mentioned someone he hadn't heard about before.

He knew some of it. His granddad often told him stories about his time with SG1.

But he hadn't told him everything of course.

He hadn't told him about a lot of the bad stuff.

And Jack knew some of it was really bad.

He'd seen the look on his granddad's face when Uncle Teal'c mentioned someone named Ball.

And Gramps had actually cussed when Dad mentioned that Kinsey guy.

Nana cried when they talked about Janet but Jack knew about her. He'd seen photographs and there was Cassie of course.

They'd finally been interrupted by nervous major who reminded Gramps that everyone was arriving and they were almost ready for the ceremony to begin.

"Do we have to go?" Gramps asked. "It's not like they really need us, ya know?"

"We don't want to disappoint everyone, Jack," his grandmother said.

"I think they'd live."

"Come on, Dad. They just want to show their respect."

"They did that when I retired," he complained. "And if they want to show how much they appreciate your mother, then they wouldn't be forcing her into retirement too."

"They've hardly forced me into it, Jack. I think it's about time, don't you?"

"You love your work."

"So did you," she retorted. "Besides, if anything really interesting shows up, they've promised to let me know."

"So I guess we'll be flying to Houston every few weeks. Right, Dr. O'Neill?"

"Like you wouldn't welcome the chance to keep up with what's happening yourself! You can't let it go any more than I can."

"You're right," he conceded. "Besides," he added. "How else are we gonna keep in touch with Teal'c and Dad?"

Jack perked up. "Is Papa Jake coming?"

"He couldn't get away right now," Nana told him. "But he promised to visit just as soon as he can."

"Dad, we'd better get back down there. They're going to be ready to start soon."

"Hey, they want us there so badly? They can just wait. I gotta pee anyway."

"Dad! Why didn't you go earlier?"

"I didn't have to go then. I have to go now. I'm not as young as I used to be ya know."

"I don't think age has anything to do with it," Jack's dad replied, shaking his head. "You'll meet us down there?"

"I'm not going to run away, if that's what you're hinting at. Jack will keep an eye on me. Won't you, Jack?"

"Sure, Gramps," Jack replied, nodding.

"Dad, please. Don't take too long."

"Oh, for cryin out loud! Go on! I'll be there."

Jack watched Nana pull his dad aside and whisper something softly in his ear. His dad nodded.

"Fine, Mom. But you know how he is…"

"I know," she told him. "It won't be long. I promise."

As his dad and the others left, Nana wrapped her arms around Gramps and he hugged her tightly to his chest.

"He seemed a bit tense don't ya think?"

"When did you first notice?" Nana asked.

"About the time he started to talk I guess. I can't imagine where he got it from."

They fell silent and Jack waited, watching. He wondered if they even remembered he was still there. His parents got like this sometimes. Mushy stuff his friends at school called it. But it always made him happy when he saw them like that. He couldn't explain it and would never ever try to tell his buddies but for some reason it always made things seem okay.

"It's not the end of the world you know," she said softly.

"No," Gramps agreed, grinning. "Been there, done that."

Nana laughed. "Yeah, I guess we have."

"It just seems so… final." He shrugged and Nana pulled back to look into his eyes.

"It's just a place, Jack. It's not us. It's not all the people who made it happen."

"I know. But it will never be the same."

"No, but since when does anything ever stay the same?" she asked. "It's time we let it go, Jack.

"You always were the smart one," he teased.

"I thought you hated scientists," she said, kissing him lightly on the cheek.

"You grew on me," he answered back. "Like a fungus," he added.

"Jack!" Nana playfully pushed him away. "Don't be long," she told him, smoothing her jacket. "Are you sure you don't want him to go down with me?"

Gramps looked at Jack and shook his head.

"No, I'd like him to walk with me."

She nodded. "Remember, Jack. They're waiting."

"Okay, Sam. I promise. Just give us a few minutes. We'll be there."

Nana left and it was just the two of them.

"You don't really have to pee, do you, Gramps?"

His granddad laughed at that and gave his shoulder a squeeze. "No, not really," he admitted. He took Jack's hand in his and together they walked toward the corridor.

"Gramps?"

"What is it, Jack?"

"I think places can sometimes be like people." He looked up at his grandfather and smiled. "It's good to remember the ones that are important in your life… even when they aren't there anymore."

His granddad smiled back and squeezed his hand even tighter.

"You know what," he said slowly. "I think you're right."

* * * * *

End