samandjack.net

Story Notes: Life within the Military 01: Season: None

Content Warnings: None

Spoilers: None

Status: This story complete. 1st in series

Sequel / Series: "Life within the Military"

Copyright: (c) 2003 bonnie rose

Authors Notes: All feedback and suggestions welcome and will be answered. my muse has many more stories in store for us. Thank you to my beta's Su Freund and Carolyn Faulkner, the best betas an author could ask for! This story is so much better for their efforts and suggestions. All remaining errors are mine and mine alone.


Story : Orders

The headlines are frightening, as is the news on the radio. On my way into the mountain today all of the news was on the bombings in Iraq as the insurgents tried to prevent the new Iraqi led government from taking over. I thought the war with Iraq would have been completed quickly. However, it's lasting longer than any of us expected it to and it has now begun to touch the SGC directly.

A tremendous number of troops have been pulled from the ranks of Stargate Command. Now, as I walk down the hall towards my lab, I shiver in the shadowy, silent halls. I remember not too many months ago, they were filled with airman moving supplies out to the Alpha Site, or of SG teams briefing for missions, now only hushed expectations hang in the air.

A few of us are safe from re-assignment, I hope. Dr. Daniel Jackson, the man who opened the gate, so many years ago, is a civilian. I believe he will remain here in the Cheyenne Mountain Complex working on his backlog of translations and artefacts. Teal'c of course is not from earth so he continues working with the few teams we have still out among the stars, protecting earth in a different war. I don't think I'll be assigned to the war effort, my specialised talents are needed here in research and development. I pray it is not shut down, but the rumours the last few days have been terrifying - one minute they say the program is too important to shut down, the next I learn that more of our personnel have been re-assigned. My two greatest fears are for my husband and my best friend.

My best friend, Dr. Janet Fraiser, is the CMO here for the program. She is, of course, the foremost authority on alien diseases and as such is irreplaceable. Unfortunately for us, she is also a top-notch contagious disease specialist and with the threat of biological weapons being manufactured in Iraq, it was only a matter of time. It was just four weeks ago that Jack and I learned that Janet was being deployed to the Middle East for approximately eighteen months. Her young teenage daughter, Cassie, was so much a part of our lives that we immediately made room for her in our home.

I was grateful that Jack was due home today. SG-1 had been in meetings with the Tok'ra for the last week and I missed him terribly. Our children were now old enough to miss their dad when he was on a mission. The boys had great plans for Jack as soon as he walked in the door. Knowing him, no matter how tired he was, all his remaining energy would be spent on his children.

The gate activation was sounded just after lunch; SG-1 was the only team due back today and for once it looked like they were on schedule. I waited in my lab knowing Jack would come looking for me as soon as his debrief with the General was completed. However, the afternoon dragged by and still there was no word from him. I was growing concerned when I saw his shadow in my doorway, standing so quietly that I would never have seen him, but for his reflection in some of my equipment. I have never seen my husband appear so bleak.

"Jack, is everyone ok?" I asked him immediately concerned for SG-1.

"Yeah, they're fine." He replied to me. Slowly he entered the room.

"I just left Hammond's office, " he said speaking just above a whisper. "General Hammond will make the official announcement at 1400 hours. The Joint Chiefs have decided the time has come to close the program down. The Stargate Command has been ordered to recall all off-world teams. The Alpha Site will be maintained by the Tok'ra, in co-operation with the resident rebel Jaffa." He shook his in bewilderment.

"The General and I have been able to assure Teal'c that he'll be allowed to join the rebel Jaffa at the Alpha Site, just after the announcement is made. Without the General and I here to look after his interests, we don't believed he'd be safe." He fell into silence. I waited quietly, and soon he resumed speaking.

"As soon as the program is closed down, the General will retire. This time he'll get to close down this post, just as he was supposed to so many years ago. You and Daniel will remain here with a skeleton crew, doing research and development."

I know what was coming next, and my heart stopped beating.

"These are my new orders." He said, looking into my eyes, as he gestured with an envelope. "I've been deployed. I leave in 14 days for Iraq. Again."