samandjack.net

Story Notes: Life in the Military 02: Season: none

Content Warnings: none

Spoilers: none

Status: Story Complete

Sequel / Series: 2nd in "Life in the Military" series

Copyright: (c) 2003 bonnie rose

Authors Notes: All feedback and suggestions welcome and will be answered. My muse has many more stories in store for us. Thank you to Su Freund, the best beta I could ask for, this story is so much better for her efforts and suggestions. All remaining errors are mine and mine alone.


Deployment of Col. Jack O'Neill

I wish I wasn't as good at keeping secrets. I had known for almost a month that I was being deployed to the war in Iraq. I just never mentioned it to my wife. When she finally did find out about two weeks ago, I was not very popular with her. Lucky for me she really didn't have enough time to stay mad at me.

I got the word from Gen. Hammond, just before I'd left on my last official mission for the Stargate Command. The mission was to arrange with the Tok'ra at our Alpha Site to take interim command,,as the SGC was temporarily suspending all off-world missions. A small staff would remain in place conducting research and development in addition to a reduced number of SF's to protect the gate. The General and I also agreed that we would make sure that Teal'c was given the opportunity to gate to the Alpha site, if that was his wish. We could not trust the NID to leave him in peace once I was deployed, and the General retired. I returned to the SGC knowing that I had only two weeks left with my family.

I rode home with Sam in relative silence. She was just worried about me, what with my four months of imprisonment in Iraq, during an earlier mission, many years ago. I can't lie, those thoughts were popping up in my mind too. I certainly was not looking forward to going anywhere, least of all to the Middle East again. However, I swore that I would support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic so, if my government saw fit to send me back to Iraq, I'd go. I might not be happy about it, but I'd go.

So this last week at home, prior to my deployment, left me thinking of all the "lasts" that kept occurring. For instance today was the last soccer game I'd attend for at least a year. My older son Jake, a real athlete like his old man, still had to do things his own way. Could he play hockey like me? NO! He wanted to play soccer. I remember how afraid he was to come and tell me. He came and stood in front of me and announced he wanted to play soccer and he hoped I wasn't disappointed with him. I was never so proud of a child in my life; it took a lot of courage to tell me that he didn't like hockey. So what did I do you ask? I learned all the rules to soccer, went to every practice I could, and encouraged Jake to always follow his heart.

Then came my second son, Daniel named for my best friend. Funny how much he's like his namesake. My Danny, was a bookworm from the get go, always walking around reading a book. Yet, echoes of myself still appear even in this quite child. Early on, Sam and I exposed both of our sons to a variety of interests and hobbies. Danny took to music and opera immediately, learning classical piano pieces in just a matter of days. Later this week will be the last piano recital that I'll be home to see.

I'll even miss doing the mundane household tasks that always crop up around the house. Sam and I both lead demanding and active lives, so we share the chores that need doing. I'd even miss mowing the lawn, doing dishes, and making love to my wife; that part especially.

I can't help but list out all these lasts, the boys will be almost two years older, by the time I can get home again. I'll be able to keep in touch through e-mail, care packages and, maybe once in a while a short phone call, but its not enough to really feel as if I'm part of their lives. They'll be moving ahead in life without me, which saddens me deeply.

Thursday morning dawns bright and clear, unlike myself, who is feeling moody and blue, for today is my deployment ceremony. My family and I have arrived at the auditorium at Peterson Air Force base to participate in the family support activities and the official send off.

During the morning both Sam and I are immersed in the hundreds of details involved with helping the out going troops prepare their families for a deployment that may last up to eighteen months. Details on how to get medical care, pay issues and childcare needs, all had to be ironed out prior to the deployment of troops. For many this would be their first long-term separation from family and friends. The troops needed to have their focus on the mission and not on their families. It was my responsibility and therefore Sam's, as an officer's wife, to assist in any way possible, helping the families with their needs. After a brief lunch break it was on to the final departure ceremony.

Many dignitaries had shown up to wish us well, the commanding officers of Peterson AF base and Cheyenne Mountain Operations Center, the Mayor of Colorado Springs and various State Officials. Each gave a short speech bidding us good bye and safe return. I turned and looked at the servicemen and their families. I was so proud of each and every one of them, they were giving up so much for their country. I know that we would be victorious in our endeavours.

As the speeches wound up, we stood, saluted the flag, and pledged our allegiance to God and country then we were finally dismissed. We were free to return home for our last nights with our family and friends.

A light cold rain was falling outside this morning, as I stood and gazed at my sleeping children. All our goodbyes were said the night before, and now I had but a few minutes left in this life, before I started my new one. I heard my wife walk up behind me; her arms coming around my waist, letting me know she was there for me. I headed down the hall, passed Cassie's room, glancing in at the young lady who was as close to me as either of my sons, and knew that she would help Sam care for the boys in my absence.

Sam and I arrived at the departure point at Peterson AFB at 0530 along with many other Families, all clinging together for just another few minutes in the arms of a loved one. The call to board our aircraft came and I stepped from the safety of Sam's arms into the military mode of a United States Air Force Colonel, and boarded the aircraft for the 7100 mile trip to Baghdad.

At the conclusion of the gruelling trip I reported to the HQ tent to find the officer in charge saying "Sir, O'Neill, Jonathon, Colonel USAF Special Operations. Reporting for duty as ordered, Sir!"

/end/