samandjack.net

Story Notes: Military Life 05: Season: None, taken from today's headlines

Content Warnings: war type violence, very little detail

Spoilers: None

Status: complete

Sequel / Series: This is the 5th and final story in the Military Life Series.

Copyright: (c) 2004 bonnie rose

Authors Notes: All feedback and suggestions welcome and will be answered. My muse has many more stories in store for us. Thank you to Su Freund and Carolyn Faulkner for their beta efforts on my behalf. This story is so much better for their efforts and suggestions. All remaining errors are mine and mine alone. A NC-17 version (my 1st attempt at this type of writing) may be found on here on my website.


Homecoming

*** Iraqi Desert ***

My team and I headed out into the sand dunes and oasis of the Iraqi desert in search of our newest quarry. Our Intel telling us that one of the "10 most wanted", an Iraqi General known for his brutal treatment of his own people, was in a small compound similar to the one we had found Hussein hiding in. We traveled by convoy for two days which we really appreciated. Before too long we would be saying good bye to our mechanized steeds and be forced into walking through the shifting sands.

When the convoy halted for the night, we headed out. We had a two day walk ahead of us through enemy territory. Hopefully, by dawn of day two, we'd be in position to observe the General's compound.

*** Jack's backyard Colorado Springs ***

The kids were asleep all snug in their beds, so I had grabbed a blanket and headed out into the backyard. Spreading the blanket out I lay flat on my back gazing up into the night sky, wondering where Jack was, and if he was doing ok. I had not heard from him in almost two weeks, which was a cause for alarm. He knew we'd be worried about him and he would be making every effort to send word to us.

Cassie and I had spent the day opening up her house across town. We spent our time cleaning and dusting, just generally bringing some life back to the place. Cassie's mom, Dr. Janet Fraiser, was due home from Iraq tomorrow. Cassie was so excited, even at the age of fifteen, she was beside herself. Janet's last call to us, telling us the good news of her upcoming return home, was the last time that we had word on Jack. I was grateful that they had had the good fortune to meet up. Janet had assured me that Jack looked good, tired of course and maybe a little on the thin side, but then eating MRE's can do that to a person.

The sound of the sliding door caught my attention, and soon a little boy stood before me.

"Danny, honey," I said gently "what are you doing up so late? It's almost midnight."

"I know," came the trembling voice; Danny looked at me for a moment "do you think daddy can see the same stars as us? I'm worried that he'll get lost and not be able to find us. He told me once of a story about finding home, by using the stars."

I stretched my arms up to him, inviting him to join me on the blanket. "It's ok honey." I reassured my son, "no matter where your daddy is, he'll always find his way home to us. Remember, that even though we may not be there with him, he carries us in his heart, just as we carry him in ours. Besides, remember all the stories he's been telling us about his team? They'll watch out for him and help daddy if he needs any." I looked down at my youngest son and smiled as I watched his eye lids droop. We both felt reassured, at least for tonight.

*** Somewhere in the Iraqi Desert ***

My team and I had been walking now for hours, I swear. As we topped a rise I saw a small encampment below us. We stopped and studied the camp for a moment before breaking out in a grin. Oh good fortune was with us; it was a small base camp for what looked like a team of Army Rangers. Good for us; we might be able to join them making for better security and a hot meal.

We approached the camp out in the open, talking fairly loud; it would surely not do to become a friendly fire statistic. The rangers welcomed us into camp; we shared a pleasant evening of stories of families far away. No mission details were discussed by either team; our respective assignments remained classified.

Eventually, watches were assigned and everyone retired for the evening. As it turned out, this team was winding up their mission and heading back for the camp we had just left. The Capt. in command was heading home at the conclusion of this mission. How unfair was that? Everyone I met was going home, everyone but me it seemed. He and I ended up splitting the first watch as we continued swapping stories of home. The next morning Capt. Clark's teamed head for home and my team headed further into the sand dunes.

We walked all that day and a good portion of the night, taking rest breaks as needed. Dawn found us in position, hiding in the dunes surrounding the General's compound.

Two man teams took turns resting or patrolling the surrounding area, getting the lay of the land as it were. As dusk approached, I gathered the team; it appeared that the General and his aides were, indeed, within the compound. Unfortunately for us, I didn't see any way inside that did not include getting all of us killed.

I advanced to the top of a small hill overlooking the enclosure and its few buildings. I was fairly comfortable with the patterns of the men in the yard below me. My sniper rifle placed securely on its tripod, I tracked the General as he strolled about, speaking to one person or another.

Carefully I backed down off my hilltop and returned to camp. I circled the troops explaining where I wanted Lt. Rider, one of my current 2IC, positioned as a backup. I had it all plotted out in my head, which way the target would turn and run if I missed my shot; hopefully Rider would be able to his shot off if needed. We broke camp quietly, Sgt. White and Hill taking our packs and heading out around the compound to a position almost opposite to where we were now; one of the more unlikely places to hide. Rider and I would RV with them in about sixty minutes.

I took my position, once more looking down the scope of my snipper rifle, thinking that this was one of the things I hated most about my job. Assassination was not a particularly honorable was to kill the enemy. If I had to kill a man I still preferred to do so face to face, with honor. However, I also wanted to go home alive, and if this was the only way to do that, and as far as I could tell it was, than so be it.

I breathed in slowly and deeply, my finger ready on the trigger, I let out half the breath and, with a gentle squeeze of my finger, I ended one mans life.

Quickly and quietly in the middle of the ensuing chaos, Rider and I glided away, circling away from the compound out into the desert, watching our back trail to be sure we weren't followed. Once assured that we were still undetected, we headed at best speed to the RV point and the rest of the team.

*** Colorado Springs ***

The phone was still ringing as I finally gained entrance into the house, my arms filled with grocery bags, I grabbed it breathlessly.

"Hello?" I answered, hoping it might be Jack; we were now into our third week of no news. Instead I heard a man's voice inquiring if I was Mrs. Jack O'Neill. Right away I recognized the military tone of voice and my heart sank. Oh god, don't let this be "the" phone call that ends life as I know it. I am well aware that death of soldiers is a given during a war and certainly I had seen my share, but please, oh please don't let this war take Jack away from our family, one that so loves and needs him. "Yes, this is Mrs. O'Neill. Who am I speaking with?"

"I'm Capt. Clark, an Army Ranger. I just got home from Iraq a couple of days ago. I wanted to call and tell you that one night about a week ago; an Air Force Special Ops team entered my base camp, and the commander of that team, one Col. Jack O'Neill, told me all about his family. How much he missed them. He gave me your phone number and asked me to call and tell you that I'd seen him, and he was ok. Don't worry about him and when you do, cause he knows you will, look up at the stars knowing he'd do the same thing and before you know it he'll be home with you and your boys." Capt. Clark stopped speaking and hearing nothing became concerned, "Mrs. O'Neill are you there?"

"Yes, Capt I'm still here. I can't thank you enough for delivering that message. We were so worried about him, we haven't heard from him in weeks." Sam whispered into the phone.

"I'm not surprised. When I last saw him he was a long way from any telephones! I gotta go Mrs. O'Neill, my kids are waiting on me. I hope your colonel makes it home safely. God Bless." With that parting thought, the young army ranger hung up the phone and returned to his family, one more duty safely discharged.

Sam sat down that evening, to dinner with her family and gave thanks that Janet had been brought home safely to her daughter and friends, and for an Army Capt who had given up time with his family to bring some comfort to hers.

** Iraq. Special Operations Base Camp ***

Three days of solid walking had final brought my team and I back safely to the base camp. Dismissing my men to find food, showers and beds I headed to Command to report in on the success of my latest mission. Upon entering the tent, I found the officer in charge and handed over my mission report, shaking my head in amusement that even in the middle of a desert war I am expected to have my paperwork completed on time!

The mission report accepted, I got our new mission assignment and with a weary sigh, headed to the mess tent. Taking a tray of the 'delight of the day' I took a seat beside Lt. Rider.

"Well," Rider inquired "What happens next for us?"

"Don't know." I responded, too tired to look at the piece of paper. Taking the envelope, I handed it over to the eager Lt.

Lt. Rider enthusiastically tore the envelope open. Taking a moment to read the orders, a huge grin spread across his face.

Damn, Jack thought he's going home. Now I gotta break in yet another 2IC. He sighed loudly "Ok, already out with it, for cryin' out loud!"

"Ok, we got a new guy coming into the team, a replacement for a lucky SOB who's going home." He glanced around the table at the hopeful faces of his teammates. "We're going to miss you Sir, you've been a hell of a commander."

The paused lasted forever while I processed his statement. "It's me? I'm the one going home?" I asked just to be sure.

"Yes Sir!" Rider explained "We got three days downtime, waiting for a new CO, once he arrives, you'll take his chopper back out of here, back to the world and, for you, Colorado Springs in the good old US of A!"

A huge grin broke out on my face. I couldn't believe it; in less than two weeks I'd be home. Home with my family and most especially with that very special blue eyed blonde.

I couldn't wait any longer; I leapt to my feet and headed out of the tent in search of a phone or a computer with internet access. I had to get word back to Sam. I was coming home.

*** Jack's home, Colorado Springs. ***

No matter how worried we might be, I had promised Jack that I'd keep this family together. That meant that we still had to go to piano lessons, soccer games and the occasional movie. Tonight I had taken the boys, Cassie and Janet out to the see the newest Lord of the Rings movies. Three and a half hours of fantasy escapism were just what we needed before it was time to head home.

After dropping Janet and Cassie off at their home, we continued on to ours. The boys ran in ahead of me as I walked down to the mailbox to pick up the days mail. As I stood in the driveway looking through the bills, junk and advertising I heard a whooping scream of joy from within the house. I started to run towards the front door, only to have it flung open by two overjoyed little boys screaming at the top of their lungs "Daddy's coming home; he'll be here in just two days!" I gathered them up in a huge hug and followed them into the house, listening to the sound of Jack's voice on the answering machine over and over again, telling us he was already on the first leg of his journey home.

The longest two days of our lives dragged by as we counted down the number of hours till Jack's flight landed at Peterson. Finally, the day came and we headed out to the base. Hundreds of families lined the fence as we waited watching the sky for the first sign of the C-130 carrying our loved ones home. A shout went up "There I see them!" was sounded and we all watched as the huge transport aircraft landed and taxied to the arrivals gate.

For the next few minutes, nothing could be heard but the sound of families being reunited. Children and adults alike, cried unashamedly as they hugged each other. Some fathers meeting their toddlers for the first time. Finally I saw Jack walking among the troops, a word here and another there, as he made his way towards us. Jacob and Daniel broke away from my side the moment they saw him, running and shouting to him as they got closer and closer. As they got within arm's reach, they launched themselves into Jack's arms, hugging him for all they were worth. From where I stood, it was hard to tell who was more emotional the boys, or their dad. Eventually Jack set the boys down, picking up his discarded duffel and allowing the boys to lead him towards where I waited.

The car ride home was filled with the inane chatter of the boys. They were trying to fill their dad in on every single last detail of the two years he'd been gone. Often they reached forward to touch him, reassuring them selves that he really was home, safe and sound.

I knew just how they felt. I couldn't wait to get him home, alone, where I, too, could touch him, to reassure myself that he was ok. I had planned a simple supper - steaks, baked potatoes, and salad - one that I could actually cook quite well and was one of Jacks favorites. Then I'd give the boys some time with their dad and send them off to bed. I could follow shortly thereafter with their dad to our bed. A shiver ran down my spine as I thought about it: it had been eighteen months long, lonely months since I had last felt his touch! However, I cautioned myself not to expect to much after all he'd been off to war for the last eighteen months, completed a long plane ride home to us and now was trying to listen to the boys. Even if all we got to tonight was sleep in each others arms I'd be thrilled.

*** Street outside the O'Neill home ***

Well you know what they say about the best laid plans of mice, men and Air Force colonels . . .as I turned the corner onto our street I slowed the car to a stop. Jack sat up in his seat, trying to wake up a little. He'd been dozing as best he could in the front seat.

"What's a matter?" Jack asked looking around and not quite getting it.

"Uhhh . . . look at our house." I suggested to him. He sat up a little straighter and then sighed loudly, then turned to look at me.

"I didn't invite any of them," I said in defense of myself, looking up and down a street filled with cars, trucks, and one or two motorcycles. "Words out you're home, I guess."

"Ya' think?" Jack said, thoughts of a quite evening with his family, followed by a not so quiet night with his wife, flying straight out the window. At least two dozen cars or more lined the street, and there was a huge "welcome home" banner strung across the top of the garage.

Jack shook his head. "Well, we can't sit here all night and we shouldn't disappoint them, so drive on, my good wife. Let's get this over with." So our plans went out the window and instead we spent a perfectly wonderful evening surrounded by friends and family, all of them extremely relieved to have one more of us return safely home.

Finally, after the last guest had departed, I looked around my living room, completely overwhelmed by the amount of trash, bottles, and cans to be found in any direction I looked. I felt a pair of strong arms encircle my waist, pulling me back against him.

After, more than a year and half away from his family, I felt his arms encircle my waist and heard his voice whisper in my ear. "I made it, Sam I made it home."