samandjack.net

Story Notes: (sweetinstigator@hotmail.com)

Archive: Yes, to SJD and Heliopolis

Classification: Angst, Apocalyps fic

Set/Spoilers: Set somewhere after Season 8, no real spoilers beside ranks.

A/N: Thanks to my beta splash_the_cat. According to her this fic is both gen, ship and OT3. So I guess, it's a little bit for everyone.


Jack quietly picks his way through the sleeping bodies of Earth's survivors as he returns from his watch. It's only slightly warmer in the bare room than it is outside. Their first winter amid the rubble of what used to be Earth.

He finds the rest of his former team asleep in their usual corner. Teal'c is out like a light, his back against the cement wall where he can keep an eye on the entire room. The position might be strategic, but ever since he has discovered sleep it's been a trial trying to wake him up. Not even the cold seems to bother him. Carter, however, has shared her blanket with Daniel ever since fall started to turn into winter. The archaeologist lies spooned against her back, gently snoring.

Groaning, Jack lowers himself onto the worn mat on the ground that has become his bed. His knees have ached for a whole week now, letting him know that he really is too old to pick up this way of life. Massaging the sore joints, he lets his gaze slide over the crooked rows of soldiers sleeping on makeshift beds not much different from his own. Despite the number of civilians that joined them in the depot they now call home, there's a definite military feel that keeps the scene from disintegrating in chaos. Not bothering to kick off his boots, he crawls under the too thin blanket.

Daniel's snoring halts for a second and he mumbles something unintelligible. He's been doing that more, lately. Rolling onto his side, Jack watches as Daniel snuggles up closer against Carter before continuing his snoring. Jack still wonders how Carter can sleep through the racket, but then they were all used to each other's noises long before Earth went down the drain.

He sighs and is about to roll over again when he realises Carter is staring back at him with half-lidded eyes. He shivers and pulls the blanket higher over his shoulders when Carter reaches across the small gap between them. He doesn't need any prompting to grab her hand. Her fingers are surprisingly warm, but rougher than he remembers. The bones are easy to see and feel beneath her skin; they've all lost weight, and they will lose more. Their rations are diminishing rapidly.

When he finally looks back up, her eyes are closed again, lips slightly parted in sleep.

***

He's grateful when he doesn't have to stand watch the next evening. His knees are throbbing from being on his feet the whole day and he's pretty sure that he wouldn't be going off world anymore if they still had a Stargate. He's already half asleep when he feels an extra weight against him. He opens his eyes to find Carter sitting next to him. Wordlessly she kicks off her boots and crawls under the two blankets that are now covering him.

"Carter?" He says even as he moves to make room for her.

"Daniel's on watch and I'm cold." It sounds so simple and logical that he just nods and allows her to curl against his chest. She's warm, and he thinks Daniel's had the right idea for the last few months.

He lets his arm settle around her waist as his eyes droop closed.

***

Jack wakes up to the sound of hushed whispers and finds he's now covered by three blankets. He's too tired to bother to open his eyes and just listens to Carter and Daniel beside him. He doesn't care what they're discussing; Carter is still lying with her back against him and he doesn't feel like giving up her warmth.

"Can you two just shut up and go to sleep?" He growls and squeezes Carter's hip.

"Fine!" Carter sighs in surrender and starts squirming.

Jack gives up and opens his eyes to see Daniel hovering over them while Carter turns over. She slings an arm over Jack's chest and Daniel slips in behind her, spooning against her back like he has done every night.

"Night," Daniel murmurs against Carter's shoulder and almost immediately starts snoring.

Jack has to admire Daniel's ability to be out like a light the moment he lies down.

***

The next night Jack has first watch again, but when he finally makes it back to SG-1's sleeping corner, Carter is already back and asleep with Daniel after sitting the second watch. Jack wonders if he has knees at all; he spent the better part of the last few hours crouched behind some bushes to try help catch a deer that had strayed close to their camp. Griff is right; if they want to survive, they'll have to learn how to hunt with bow and arrow. They need to save their bullets and zats for when they really need them, and a knife has proven to be everything but handy.

For a second he stands between Carter and Daniel and his own bed. Her eyes follow him as he picks up the blanket and drapes it over them. For the first time since his world crumbled and he stood by unable to do anything, he doesn't feel like he's living inside a nightmare. They're all that's left of civilisation; he has done his part and played the general, guided them through those first arduous months but now it's time to join them.

Besides, he's tired, worn out, and Sam's body – not Carter, not anymore – easily wraps around his as he lays down beside them. She presses her cold nose against his neck, and he shivers.

"Carter, I stink."

She snorts and gently rubs her nose against his skin. It's not as cold anymore.

"We all stink, Jack." Daniel says and turns so his back is now against Sam's.

Jack spends the better half of the night staring at the back of Daniel's head, Sam pressed warmly against him. A lot of things have changed and shifted, and they are all still grieving over the loss of an entire world. Jack's still not sure what his place will be in this new world, but he knows that when tomorrow's first watch ends, he'll be warm.

=====