samandjack.net

Story Notes: Spoilers: season 7

Season: post-season 7

Copyright: (c) Siobhan Gormley 2004

Feedback: Be kind, feed me. :D

Author's Note: And here's the companion piece...


I'm awake, but I keep my eyes closed, my breathing shallow. I move slightly, my back touching his chest in our spooned position.

I know he's watching me sleep, I know he does it a lot.

I love it.

I love knowing that the man I love enjoys the sight of me. It makes me feel...content. No, scratch that, I'm *happy*. Really happy.

For the longest time I had never known anything but bad and painful relationships, but all that seemed to end when I met him. Sure, from the first moment I set eyes on him he was all cockiness and sarcasm, but those chocolate brown eyes and his quirky sense of humor...

Okay, let's be honest, he was hot, cockiness and sarcasm included. I couldn't help it, he pushed my buttons, and damn if he wasn't good at it.

Yes, even geeks like me can be base.

We had run-ins, we fell out of sorts, but we always came back to each other. And at the time, I thought I was happy.

But that changed, and I realized that I wasn't entirely happy. It was something of a rude awakening, and it was tough at first, but I knew I had to give him up. Assuming he was ever mine to give up.

So I went a different way, had some fun, but my heart was never entirely in it. I felt bad for Pete, he was a nice enough guy, but...he was never meant to be *The One*.

And you know when I realized it? When Jack had the *nerve* to stick his head into an Ancient device. Damn the stubborness of that man!

Alright, sometimes his stubborness pays off...not that I'd tell him that. He'd be more impossible than that time he insisted on explaining the deeper meaning behind The Simpsons.

At the end of the day, though, I wouldn't change him. Not one iota. And you want to know the nicest thing about him? I'm pretty damn sure he wouldn't change me. I sure as hell can't say that about any man I've been involved with before.

I feel him move slightly closer, then he's nuzzling my neck and hair. I hear him taking a deep breath, as if he's trying to take in my scent. This sends a charge straight to my groin. If we didn't need the sleep, I'd do something about it.

I finally hear his breathing slow, so I allow my body to fully relax. As I drift off, I can't help but smile.

Life is good.

**End**