samandjack.net

Story Notes: AUTHOR'S NOTES: Feedback is greatly appreciated (especially if you like it). I would like to thank my Beta Reader Shannon. Your encouragement has meant a tremendous amount to me. "Don't Look Too Closely" by Oleta Adams on her Circle of One CD used without permission. Go get the CD. It's great! This is just before "Upgrades".


The evening was winding down and Sam Carter was pleased. Captain Ellis' engagement party had been a huge success. Shannon Ellis was a chemist and Sam's best friend on the scientific team at the mountain. Shannon and Jeff Hampton had met when he stopped to help her change a flat tire. Who said chivalry was dead?! Now they were getting married next month and Sam was so happy for her. Sam had enjoyed throwing this party for her at her house.

Most of the guests had left. It was just her team and Shannon and Jeff enjoying the beautiful night. Music was coming from the CD player. Jack stood up and came over to where Sam was sitting.

"Carter, want to dance?"

"Sure."

They had done a lot of dancing that night. It was an acceptable excuse to be in each other's arms. To Sam's surprise Jack was an excellent dancer and they had received applause for their "Dirty Dancing". Sam couldn't remember the last time she had enjoyed herself so much.

Jack just enjoyed the happy smile on her face. Of course, he was enjoying the dark blue, backless dress Sam was wearing, too. His heart had stopped when he saw her in it this evening. Ever since that time on Hathor's ship, the image of her bare shoulder and back had haunted his thoughts and dreams. An electric tingle ran through him each time his fingers touched her back as they danced. It was torture but he couldn't deny himself. "Hell, this is all we get," he thought to himself.

A new song came on that Sam recognized. "Oh God, this cuts too close to home," she thought.

Don't look too closely
Or you will see
One of my secrets
Coming out of me

I try to hide
The way I feel
But this storm inside me
Is too much to conceal

Sam lowered her eyes, looking at Jack's shoulder instead of his face. "I love you, Jack," she thought to herself. "Oh God, I really do love you."

Jack looked at Sam, a little confused. Suddenly, she wouldn't look at him and the look on her face was a little … sad?

Don't ask
If you really don't want to know
Don't say you will
If your heart keeps saying you won't

Don't try
If you really don't want to go
All the way
To the end of the road

The others watched Sam and Jack. Jeff leaned over to Shannon and said softly, "What's with those two? They're in love, aren't they?"

Shannon nodded, a sad little smile on her face. "Yeah, but they can't admit it, or do anything about it. He's her commanding officer. They'd be brought up on charges for breaking the Non- Fraternization regulations."

"That stinks. It's so obvious that they belong together."

Don't be too anxious
To poll my mind
Don't know
What you're likely to find

`Cause you might get caught
In my spider's web
And I might decide
To keep you there
Forever and ever

Don't ask
If you really don't want to know
Don't say you will
If your heart keeps saying you won't

Don't try
If you really don't want to go
All the way
To the end of the road

Jack reached out and put a finger beneath her chin. He wanted to see her eyes.

"Don't, Jack." Sam thought to herself. "You don't want to go there. I don't want you to go there. I can't help it. You'll see too much."

Don't look too closely
Or you will see
A part of my secret
Coming out of me

Don't you dare
Look too deeply
Inside my mind
`Cause you might find out
I need to be loved tonight

He met with some resistance but finally her eyes met his. He saw the desire, the longing in her eyes. "Oh God, Sam," he thought, "I wish we were free to do as we wanted. I'd never let you out of my arms."

Don't look too closely
No, no
Don't look too closely
Don't look too closely
Whatcha doing, love?
Don't look too closely
No, baby
Don't look too closely
Don't look too closely
Didja do it, babe?

You might find out, babe
How much I love you
You might find out, babe
I really need you
You might find out, babe
I've been wanting you long time
Don't look too closely

Sam looked into Jack's eyes and saw her feelings reflected in his eyes. She thought, "I don't ever want to be without you. I love you so!"

The rest of SG-1, Janet, Shannon and Jeff got up and left Sam and Jack alone. They knew this dance was all they had. It broke their hearts.

You might find out
I've been dreaming about you
And you might find out
I don't want to live without you
You might find out
I've been loving you long, long time
Don't look too closely
Don't you do it, do it
Oh, oh, oh, oh baby
Oh, oh, oh, oh darling

Jack drew Sam tighter in his embrace and nuzzled her blond head. "Someday, Sam, we'll be together. I promise," he whispered into her hair.

A tear slid down Sam's cheek. Someday. "Someday, soon."


~fin~