samandjack.net

Story Notes: Spoilers: The Devil you know/ Jolinar's memories.

Season/sequel: Set after The Devil you know.

Author's notes: A bit of mindless fluff from the sick one.

Feedback: Hell yeah! Don't make me beg, hit reply and stroke my ego please.

Dedication: As always, for LEW. And DJ, who wanted a fic.

Date: 24-11-03

Copyright © to Venom, 2003


***

Oh can't you see it baby?
You've got me going crazy
Where ever you go
Whatever you do
I will be right here waiting for you
Whatever it takes
Or how my heart breaks
I will be right here waiting for you

Richard Marx, Waiting for you

***

"You got yourself shot for me." She commented absently, continuing her meticulous strokes of his tender flesh as she cleaned his messy wound, hoping to avoid infection.

Since they had boarded the Teltak, Jack's surroundings had become more and more vague as his attention wandered. As he drifted between the restful ignorance of unconsciousness and the screaming reality of wakefulness, he could hear people moving around him, but the sharp pain of his upper thigh forced his attention away from the surrounding activities. Even though he was far less than lucid, Jack forced his mind to listen to her words.

"No, I didn't." He protested, his head lulling from side to side as the morphine shot Daniel had given him started to take effect.

"When we were on Netu, and the guards came to take me away, you got yourself shot trying to stop them." Sam elaborated, carefully avoiding eye contact with him.

"Maybe." He admitted carefully, watching her closely.

"It wasn't very rational, sir. You knew they'd take me regardless of what you did."

When the guards had come for her, thinking rationally hadn't really been high on his list of priorities. He knew that their captors would've taken advantage of her at the first available opportunity, and he'd just….reacted. Earning himself a staff weapon shot to the thigh in the processes.

"What was I `spose to do?"

"Not get shot?" She offered with a small smile.

Jack blinked slowly, fighting back the tempting effects of the morphine that were trying to lull him into a peaceful, and painless sleep. "Well, I'm your Colonel. I'm supposed to get shot trying to stop the bad guys coming after you."

He had a feeling that later he'd realize exactly what he just said, and exactly what he'd just implied, and probably want to shoot himself. But even if she'd noticed, she was strangely silent about his comment.

"Just because you're `My Colonel'" *snigger* "Doesn't mean I expect you to get shot for me. It was a pretty dumb thing to do."

"Are you calling me dumb?" He asked, trying to look stern but failing as his facial features relaxed in preparation for sleep. But, damnit, his leg still hurt like hell.

"No," She shook her head as she fastened a clip on his bandage to secure them. "I'm saying that you did a dumb thing, not that *you're* dumb."

He cocked his head to the side a little, pondering her words. "Aren't they the same thing?"

Sam coughed politely. "No sir."

"You sure?" He pressed.

"Positive."

"Positive Positive?"

"Yes sir."

"Okay then." Jack nodded, and felt his eyes slip closed of their own accord.

"Um…Sir?"

Opening one eye, Jack looked up at her. "Carter?"

Quickly scanning the room to assure their privacy, Sam leant over and kissed him softly on the lips. It lasted mere seconds, but Jack relished the contact and opened both of his eyes as she pulled back.

"Thank you for trying to protect me….."

"Anytime."

"My Colonel."

He had a feeling she wasn't going to let that one go.

***

End.