samandjack.net

Story Notes: Spoilers: None

Season/Sequel info: Sequel to Naked

Notes: The first part of this story can be found here,

http://www.snowqueen.demon.co.uk/Naked.html

In which Sam and Jack get caught in another kind of time loop.

I decided to write a sequel dealing with the Sam and Jack of the alternate timeline. I figured that somewhere it must still exist and started wondering what would happen in the future of that world.


Sam stepped into the shower, wondering if she'd ever feel clean again. She could hear the man moving about in the next room, gathering his clothes, preparing to leave. By the time she finished in the bathroom, he'd been gone. She didn't really care, it was better that way. Sure enough, the bedroom was empty when she returned. In the distance she heard the front door slam. Systematically, Sam moved through the room, changing the sheets, opening the windows...erasing the evidence. If nothing else, it made her feel a little better.

Straightening her aching back, she turned towards the door, noticing that it was open. A small figure stood there and, tired though she was Sam couldn't ignore her daughter.

"What are you doing out of bed, honey?" she asked.

The child didn't answer but Sam hadn't expected her to. It had been over a year since Sophie had uttered a word. Sighing to herself, Sam picked the girl up and carried her back to bed, hoping to God she hadn't heard anything. She tucked Sophie under the comforter, wishing she could crawl right in beside her.

As a child, Samantha Carter had believed in knights in shining armour, the handsome prince waking Sleeping Beauty with a kiss. Needless to say, her life hadn't lived up to the fairy tale. At least she had Sophie. Men would come and go, but her daughter was a constant in her life and Sam would do whatever it took to keep her safe.

Sophie's father was long gone. Sam had never found out what happened to him, not that she'd ever tried that hard to find out. She knew he had joined the Stargate program so she assumed that one day he had walked through the gate and never come back again. Sam hadn't grieved for his loss, she was glad he was out of her life. Getting involved with him had been a huge mistake, but he'd offered her the promise of stability and she'd been naive enough to accept. After a string of increasingly unsuitable lovers she thought she'd hit rock bottom with Jonas. Still this was a matter of convenience and had nothing to do with love. If sleeping with a senator meant she could keep a roof over her and Sophie's heads then so be it. At least she was better off than most.

Every time Sam stepped outside, she tried not to think about the people who were starving and homeless in the wake of the Goa'uld attack. It had been horrific. She still wasn't sure exactly how she had managed to find Sophie, or how they had managed to keep safe all those terrible months. That was in her past. She had her future to think of now.

Sam sat with Sophie until the child went back to sleep, before returning to her own lonely bed. It was cold with the widow open, but she made no move to close it. The sharp air reminded her she was still alive.

************************************************************************************

He missed Sam. He didn't know why or how she had managed to worm her way into his heart, but it didn't really matter. She was gone and he'd had a hell of a lot more to worry about than wondering why she'd left.

Charlie, for example.

The operation to remove the symbiote hadn't been a hundred per cent success. Charlie had been sick for a long while after the operation. There had even been discussion of using him as a Tok'ra host. Something which Jack had violently opposed. Thank God the boy had pulled through.

If Jack had had his way he would have spent the entire time at his son's bedside, but with Sam gone he was the only person left to persuade the Tollan and the Tok'ra to help Earth. He was the first to admit his diplomatic skills were not the best, but neither alien race was what he would describe as 'helpful'. The Tollan still stuck by their policy of strict neutrality, and the Tok'ra just didn't have the resources to save an entire planet. However, credit where credit was due, after what turned out to be a lengthy evaluation process, he was introduced to the Asgard... who agreed to help for no better reason than they appeared to like him.

However bizarre that may have seemed, Jack had no qualms about their methods. They came, they saw, they beamed the Goa'uld away. Easy. Although he suspected there'd be a price to pay somewhere along the line. Apparently the Asgard had their own war to fight and they seemed to be very interested in human tactics, and human weapons. Jack told them all he could, finally suggesting that they enter into negotiations with Earth's leaders...which was the reason he finally found himself going home, even though he had to leave his heart on Tollana. Charlie wasn't well enough to travel. Jack hated himself but, he knew he had to do his duty by Earth and leave his son with strangers. He probably wouldn't have done it if it hadn't been for Teal'c. Even though the other man said little, Jack instinctively trusted him. He had saved their lives. The man promised to look after Charlie until Jack got back.

Earth's Stargate was buried beneath the rubble that had once been Cheyenne Mountain, so they'd done it the old fashioned way. Which actually turned out to be pretty cool. Jack wasn't exactly certain of the distances involved, but he was aware the Asgard could really shift ass when they wanted to. The journey took a matter of hours ... and he was home.

He had been given a hero's welcome. The President of the United States pinned a medal on his chest and told him Earth was in his debt. Jack accepted as graciously as he could, but he knew if it hadn't been for Sam he would still be passed out somewhere... Maybourne's puppet.

The Asgard chose to stay on their own ship until negotiations began, but Jack was eager to feel Earth beneath his feet once more. Post-invasion, Washington couldn't offer much in the way of fancy hotels, but the place he was shown was basic and good enough. The first thing he did was treat himself to a large steak dinner and a decent beer. Being an enlightened civilisation, the Tollan weren't big on eating meat or alcohol.

Jack could have ordered room service, but he felt the need to be with people. The hotel restaurant was more or less empty, but at least the waitress was talkative. He was halfway through his desert before a couple walked through the door. Jack glanced up briefly, then spat his apple pie halfway across the room. The man he recognised as Senator Kinsey, they'd been introduced earlier that day.

The woman was Sam Carter.

***********************************************************************************

Sam knew what was expected of her; hang on his arm and look good ... although quite who he thought would see them was another question. This town wasn't exactly jumping after dark. Still she wasn't going to turn down a free meal. Food wasn't exactly cheap these days. Sam planned to over order. What she didn't eat, she'd take home for Sophie. As usual, when she was with him, her thoughts were a long way behind what her body was doing.

She genuinely didn't hear the first shout. It was only when the man came and grabbed her shoulder that she realised he'd been calling her name.

"Sam...? Oh God...!"

He pulled her away from her companion and into his own arms.

"I take it you two know each other?" the man she was with drawled.

"I..." Sam hesitated.

She knew him, of course she did. The few television channels that were broadcasting had covered the story. There probably wasn't a person on the planet who didn't know his face.

"Colonel O'Neill, of course," she replied.

"Jack," he said, softly. His tone of voice sending a shiver down her spine.

"Right."

Sam searched through her memory, trying to work out if they'd ever met face to face and she was coming up blank. It seemed impolite to ask him if they'd ever slept together. They might have done for all she knew, as much as it shamed her to admit it. Luckily, her companion stepped into the breach saving her from further embarrassment.

"General O'Neill, Senator Robert Kinsey, I don't believe we've been introduced."

The two men shook hands, but Sam had the feeling it was hate at first sight.

"Now if you don't mind, Major Carter and myself were looking forward to spending a quiet evening together...."

"Okay, I get the message. It was nice seeing you again Sam," O'Neill spat, and Sam felt like she'd been slapped in the face. What the hell was wrong with him? He must have mistaken her for someone else.

"If you ask me, O'Neill's been with those aliens too damn long," Robert muttered.

"He saved our lives," Sam replied.

"Maybe."

"What do you mean?"

"We would have found some way to negotiate with the Goa'uld, eventually."

Sam didn't say anything, arguing with him wouldn't do her any good. He might decide she was no longer useful in which case she and Sophie would be out on the streets. So Sam shut up, however much she hated herself for doing it.

"O'Neill seemed pretty taken with you," he added, as they started on their appetisers.

She shrugged, hoping this train of conversation wasn't going where she thought it was.

"These Asgard, I don't trust them."

"Why not?"

"You really think they saved the planet just because they happened to be in the neighbourhood? They have to want something else."

"Projectile weapons."

"Right. You can't tell me that a race that advanced wants nothing more than a bunch of guns."

"What has all this to do with Colonel O'Neill?"

"Whatever they're up to, he must be part of it."

"And you want me to find out what 'IT' is."

"Smart girl."

"Do I have a choice?"

"Not really. Come on Sam, you climbed into my bed easy enough."

"That was different."

"I'm not naive enough to think I have your undying devotion. I'm just another notch on your bedpost, another way to climb the ladder."

There was no way she could answer him.

"Put it this way...I'd hate to see that sweet little girl of yours..."

"Enough!"

"Good girl. Report back to me in a week. I expect to see progress."

Throwing a few bills on the table, Kinsey left her sitting there.

Sam didn't wait for the rest of the meal. She left shortly after he did, even though it meant walking through the streets of Washington alone. Her apartment building wasn't that far ... or so she kept telling herself. She had her military training... she'd managed to keep herself and Sophie safe during those terrible months...

It was dark, it was cold and she was scared.

The choices she'd made in her life hadn't been good ones, but getting involved with Kinsey had to be the worst... but she knew she'd have to do what he wanted. God, she'd never wanted it to be this way. Her life should have amounted to so much more. And she had the feeling it all centred around the Stargate program. Sam had so wanted to go through the 'gate. If it hadn't been for Colonel Cromwell... he'd point blank refused to let her join the second mission to Abydos. She didn't blame General Hammond. Her father's friend had been caught between the proverbial rock and hard place. Leave her behind or scrub the mission. So she'd stayed and there hadn't been another chance. Before the Goa'uld invasion she had been assigned to the Pentagon. Sure she got to examine some pretty interesting technology, but it wasn't the same as being on the front line... or even stationed at the SGC. She'd been sidelined and she knew it but with a child to support she'd had little choice.

This was no different.

Her mind was a little clearer by the time she'd got home. She hurried up the steps of the building, eager to get back to Sophie.

"Hey," she called out as she let herself in.

A woman in her late fifties appeared. Hilda had been a secretary in the White House and was another of the lucky ones. She now lived across the hall and regularly watched Sophie when Sam was out with the senator.

"You're back early," she said.

"I know. Robert had things to do."

Hilda grunted, she didn't have much time for Kinsey.

"Sophie okay?" Sam asked.

"She slept the whole time you were gone."

"Thank you."

"Any time, you know that."

Sam saw Hilda to the door, before looking in on her daughter. Satisfying herself that Sophie was soundly asleep, she decided to have an early night herself, and work out exactly how she was going to deal with O'Neill.

*********************************************************************************

Jack hated this. He'd always been a man of action, diplomacy wasn't really his strong point, yet here he was trying to smooth relations between humans and the Asgard. Not to mention he was missing Charlie like hell. Then there was Sam. What was going on with her? He guessed Kinsey was a good catch, even if the man was obnoxious.

It was his own fault really. Jack admitted he was lonely without Sara but that was no reason to go looking for a substitute wife. The fact that Charlie had been saying stuff had made it very easy for Jack to believe there was something between them. At least that was all over now. He could concentrate on sorting out the deal with the Asgard, getting Charlie home and then picking up what was left of their lives.

Looking in the mirror, Jack straightened his tie and brushed the dust from his jacket. Tonight was supposed to be a formal occasion. Although he suspected the display would impress no one, least of all the Asgard. Still, Jack recognised the importance, for morale if nothing else. The phone rang at that moment; hotel reception telling him that his car was here. With a last look in the mirror, Jack picked up his coat and hurried downstairs. It wouldn't do to keep the president waiting.

The limo was waiting outside. It was ostentatious, but walking wasn't really an option. His dress shoes were half a size too small. How they'd managed to find him a uniform, he wasn't quite sure, but he felt obliged to wear it. But it wasn't just the uniform that was making him uncomfortable. When he climbed into the car he found someone else waiting there.

Sam.

She looked good. Her black dress fitted in all the right places. Not that he was looking or anything.

"Hi," she said.

"Hi," he replied.

"I guess they must be saving on the gas."

"Whatever. Where's Kinsey?"

"He's meeting me there."

"Nice."

Jack turned to gaze out of the window. He could see her reflection in the glass and he found himself staring at it, wondering exactly what had happened to her since she'd left him on Tollana. She looked different, he could see that now. Thinner and her face showed a few more lines. Her hair was shorter, cropped close to her head. But if anything, the changes only enhanced her beauty. Damn it. He closed his eyes, not wanting to look at her anymore.

The car journey was mercifully short, but Jack was greeted by a hail of flashbulbs when he climbed out. It took him several moments to realise that Sam was walking beside him. Then the Asgard arrived and Jack found that, mercifully, attention was turned away from himself. He caught sight of Sam a couple of times during the evening and she seemed to be firmly attached to Kinsey.

As the evening wore on, he found himself becoming slightly overwhelmed by both the number of people and the occasion. He'd never really thought of himself as a hero and he hated to be treated that way. Jack knew he'd just been in the right place at the right time and Sam... but no one seemed to be taking any notice of her. As soon as he could, Jack slipped away, taking solace in the cool evening air. He hadn't expected to have company.

Sam was standing outside, her back to the festivities, looking out over the city. Jack coughed, but she didn't acknowledge her presence. Then he noticed that she had her phone in her hand and was talking to someone.

"When did she start?" she was saying. "I don't know...the cars not coming back for hours...okay...okay...I'll be there as soon as I can."

She put the phone back in her purse and headed down the steps. Jack couldn't help himself, he hurried after her, catching her arm.

"Sam? Is everything okay?" he asked.

"I have to go home," she said.

"You can't walk. Let me see if I can find the car."

"Hurry."

Jack headed back into the building and collared the first airman he came across. Luckily the man was smart enough to do exactly what he was ordered. Within five minutes there was a car waiting outside. Two minutes later he and Sam were being driven away. He still didn't know what had happened, or why he was going with her. No doubt there were several officials who would be pissed with him, but the Asgard, Heimdall, would understand.

They drew up outside an apartment building and Sam hurried inside. Jack told the driver not to wait as he followed her. She was greeted at the door by a middle aged woman.

"Hilda, what happened?" Sam asked.

"She just started screaming and wouldn't stop," she replied.

"Who?" Jack asked.

"Sophie."

He was none the wiser, but he followed Sam and Hilda up the stairs to Sam's apartment. They went straight to one of the bedrooms where a child was sitting on the bed. Jack had heard the noise as they'd walked up the hall. The girl was terrified.

Sam pulled the child into her arms and held her tight. Jack had no doubts as to the relationship between the two.

"It's okay, baby, it okay," she said again and again.

Eventually, the child seemed to calm down, soothed by her mother's presence. Hilda left and Jack found himself alone with Sam and Sophie. Realising he wasn't exactly wanted at that moment, he found himself wandering through the apartment. For the want of something better to do, he went into the kitchen and made coffee. Sam appeared a few minutes later and he pressed a mug into her hand.

"How is she?" he asked.

"Asleep," she replied.

She walked away from him, into the lounge. Jack followed, sitting beside her on the couch.

"What happened?" he said.

"I don't know. I was at work...we heard they were coming and I left, I went to find her. She'd been at school. God... she was the only one left alive."

"Shh...it's okay."

"She's never said a word. Not since it happened."

He hadn't wanted that much detail. Nor the fact that Sam was sitting there obviously distressed. Jack found himself patting her shoulder... not wanting to give into the impulse to take her into his arms. Luckily, she seemed to pull herself together.

"I'm sorry you I spoiled your evening," she said.

"Trust me, you didn't."

She gave a tired laugh.

"Why don't you try and get some sleep?" he suggested.

"What about you?"

"These shoes are killing me, okay if I crash on the couch?"

"Sure... I'll find you some blankets."



There was someone staring at him. Jack opened his eyes to see Sophie standing over him. Blonde, like her mother, she would have been an attractive child if there had been any life in her large blue eyes. He smiled at her, hoping he looked reassuring.

"Good Morning," he said.

There was no change in the expression on the child's face.

"Is your mom awake?"

Still nothing. Jack swung his legs around and reached for his pants. Seeing one end of the couch was now free, Sophie climbed up and sat there.

"So I was in your favourite spot, that it?"

He wondered if he should go and wake Sam, but decided against it. Sophie didn't seem to be in any actual distress, not like she had been last night.

"I'm going to see what your mom has in for breakfast."

When Sam finally appeared they were both sitting on the couch eating cereal. At least Jack was eating and Sophie was holding the bowl.

"Why didn't you wake me?" Sam asked.

"Didn't seem any point. We've been okay, haven't we Sophie?"

"It took her three weeks to get used to Hilda."

"What can I say? Must be my natural charm?"

"Right."

He was pleased to see Sam smile. This was hard. After everything he'd told himself, he still found himself attracted to her. Not as he'd seen her last night... but right now; no makeup, mussed hair, her eyes still fuzzy with sleep. She knelt down in front of Sophie and started to spoon the cereal into the girl's mouth.

"Do you want anything?" Jack asked.

"Just coffee, thanks," Sam answered.

"Coming right up."

Jack knew that coffee was in short supply and he wondered if this was another of the perks of sleeping with a senator. And he had no qualms about drinking some of her stash. Caffeine was another thing that the Tollans had been happy to live without. As for nicotine... although he supposed it would be a really dumb thing to start smoking again.

He handed Sam her coffee and sipped his own gratefully.

"Haven't you got somewhere else to be?" Sam asked.

"Only my hotel room," Jack answered, then he realised she was actually asking him to leave. He took another gulp of his coffee.

"You're right, I should go," he added.

"Yes."

"I guess I'll see you around."

"Sure."

Jack set his mug on the table and picked up his coat. He looked down at Sophie before ruffling her blond hair.

"Look after your mom," he told her.

For a second he thought she smiled at him, the he realised it was wishful thinking on his part and Jack retreated in good order. He closed the door to Sam's apartment quietly. It was still early and he didn't particularly want to disturb the neighbours. However, he hadn't reckoned on the fact that Hilda swept the hallway every morning and evening. She pretended she didn't see Jack, which made him wonder how many other men left Sam's apartment in the early hours of the morning? But Jack decided he was different. It wasn't like he had anything to hide.

"Good morning," he smiled at the older woman.

She nodded.

"Sophie's fine," he added.

Hilda stopped sweeping and looked at him,

"I'm glad," she admitted.

"Took a while though. Sam was kind enough to let me sleep on the couch."

"The couch?"

"I have the crick in my neck to prove it."

"Samantha's a good woman, but she lets the wrong people keep her safe."

"Maybe...look it was nice talking to you..."

"Likewise. Will you be back?"

"If Sam wants."

But he doubted she would ask.

********************************************************************************

Sam was jealous and she didn't know why. Seeing Jack sitting comfortably with Sophie had aroused feelings she couldn't quite understand. Part of it was guilt. She had spent a few extra hours in bed that morning, without meaning to. But she had been so tired... The fact Jack had looked after Sophie meant she had a weird kind of obligation to him. She admitted it had been nice to let someone else take the burden for a short while.

She wondered if Jack had children of his own. If he did, was there a wife in the picture? And this was the man she was supposed to bed for information. It was a good thing Kinsey didn't know she had sent him away this morning. No doubt he had found out that she and Jack had left the reception together...which was probably enough to make it look like she was keeping up her end of the bargain. Which meant Sophie was safe for a little while.

The child had walked to the window and was staring out.

"What is it, honey?" Sam asked.

Sophie pointed down to the street. Sam looked over her daughter's shoulder to see Jack O'Neill walking away. It was a pleasant morning and his jacket was slung casually over one shoulder as he enjoyed the sunshine. He didn't seem to be in much of a hurry either. Drawing her daughter away form the window, Sam set about getting both of them dressed and ready for the day ahead. She was due at work, but she was uneasy about leaving Sophie, especially after last night's little tantrum. Sam couldn't skip work, Kinsey would want a full report, among other things. After a great deal of deliberation, she decided to take Sophie with her. If the former senator didn't like it he could go jump.

The child hesitated when they reached the main door of the apartment building. It was then that Sam realised it had been a while since Sophie had even been outside. There was no time to give in to histrionics. Grabbing her child's hand, Sam firmly dragged her into the street.

"What the hell is this?" Kinsey demanded when Sam finally showed up.

"She'll be fine," Sam argued.

"I'm not running a Crèche."

"Find someone to watch her."

"No."

"What?"

"If I were going to do that I would have left her with Hilda, but Sophie was very distressed last night..."

"Which is why you left the reception early?"

"Yes."

"And why O'Neill slept on the couch."

Sam stared at him. How the hell had he known?

"You've spoken to him this morning?" she asked.

"No, I have other ways of finding out if you're following orders."

"Bastard!"

"Enough. Get rid of the child."

Her eyes pricking with tears Sam, left the senator's office, determined not to cry in front of him. Sophie was blank faced as always and Sam wondered if she was actually doing her daughter a favour by protecting her. She found a willing sergeant and left instructions to call if Sophie did anything untoward. Hating herself for being a slave to his whims, she returned to Kinsey's office. Several other members of his personal staff had arrived and Kinsey wasted no time in briefing them.

"Our 'little grey friends' have requested the treaty be signed on neutral territory," he began.

"Which is where?" someone asked.

"A planet called Tollana."

"Who's going?" Sam heard herself demand.

Surely he wasn't going to leave her behind? The chance to see another world... For a few moments, Sam was lost in a pleasant little fantasy, only to have it crashing around her ears when Kinsey announced,

"David, you and Rick get yourself packed."

"What?" Sam exclaimed.

"We'll be gone about a week."

"Dammit, what about me?"

"You have a child, remember. If you won't leave her alone for a day..."

In that moment, Sam could have happily put a bullet through the man's skull. Unfortunately there wasn't a gun handy, so she was forced to curb her violent impulses.

"I deserve this," she told him.

"For what? Sleeping with me? Samantha please, you weren't that good."

"And you have a small dick."

It was a petty comeback, but Sam was beyond caring. She stormed out of the room, slamming the door behind her. The one thought in her mind was to grab Sophie and get the hell out of here. To her surprise her child wasn't alone with the sergeant. Jack was there. He was crouched down in front of her, trying to interest her in a yo-yo. God only knew where he'd got it from. Jack scrambled to his feet when he realised Sam was there. She wasn't in the mood to talk to him and grabbed Sophie's hand.

"Sam?" Jack questioned.

"Don't," she snapped back.

"What?"

"The guy I've just spent the last three months screwing has cut me out of the mission to Tollana."

"Uh?"

Before she could continue with what was turning into a major rant, another officer appeared.

"Ma'am?" he began.

"Whatever it is, just tell me," Sam said.

"Senator Kinsey has requested that you vacate your quarters immediately."

So he had the final word, Sam realised. She didn't even bother to give the airman a reply. This wouldn't be the first time she'd started with nothing. She had Sophie, she didn't need anyone else. Jack, however was incensed by the announcement.

"He can't do that!"

"Technically he can," Sam told him.

"I'll talk to him."

"Don't."

"Why not?"

"Because it's not worth it. And I don't want to go back to being at his beck and call. There are plenty of guys out there who'd be more grateful."

Sam knew what people said about her and Sam had decided she didn't deserve better.

"What about Tollana?" Jack asked.

"It's just a dream and a girl's gotta grow up some time."

"Let me talk to the Asgard. Maybe you could come too?"

"And what would you expect in return?"

"Nothing."

"Right. And what about Sophie, without Hilda to watch her while I'm gone..."

"There's no reason why she couldn't come along."

He seemed in earnest, even though Sam's fist instinct was not to trust him.

"When do we leave?" she asked.

Sam didn't have much in the way of personal belongings, not any more. Most of what she had owned had gone when the Goa'uld had attacked...and a lot of what she had, had been provided by Kinsey. She just packed a few clothes for herself and Sophie. The rest could rot for all she cared. Jack was waiting downstairs. If he seemed surprised at her lack of belongings he didn't show it. He took her bag, allowing Sam to carry Sophie. They went straight to his hotel. The mission to Tollana wasn't due to leave for a couple of days, and they needed somewhere to stay. The hotel manager tried to argue, but Jack stood his ground, for which Sam was grateful.

She had kind of been expecting a suite. The room was small but it did have the standard two double beds. Jack took one whilst Sam and Sophie shared the other. It wasn't the most comfortable arrangement. Still, in a couple of days she'd be on another world entirely.

"What's it like?" Sam asked quietly.

Sophie was asleep, but Sam hadn't been able to.

"British Columbia," Jack replied, grinning. "But you were there too."

Sam sighed. She thought he'd forgotten the ridiculous notion that they had somehow known each other before.

"I've never left this planet, you know that."

"What? You were a figment of my imagination?"

"All I know is when I was supposed to be running around other planets with you, I was lying in a hospital bed unconscious. You can ask any member of the senator's staff."

"What happened?"

"I don't really know. One moment I was fine the next... no one could really explain it, but I was out for about a week."

"Which was about the time you spent with me?"

She couldn't help herself and laughed.

"You think I had some kind of out of body experience or something?"

"Or something."

"It's a nice idea, Jack. I admit I like your Samantha Carter a lot better than I like myself."

Rolling so she was no longer facing him, Sam pulled the blankets more firmly about her shoulders and closed her eyes. She didn't sleep.

*************************************************************************************

Jack couldn't help grinning when he, Sam and Sophie were beamed to the Asgard ship. It was partly due to Sam's expression of wide-eyed astonishment... and partly because Kinsey looked decidedly pissed.

"This isn't a place for children," the senator snapped.

"Really? My kid is on Tollana, he has no complaints," Jack replied.

He had a bad feeling about Kinsey's involvement. There was no way the Asgard would consider signing a treaty if that man was allowed to handle the negotiations. Which was why Jack had requested that Heimdall made one last stop before shooting towards Tollana.

Joseph Faxon was kind of surprised to find himself on the Asgard ship. Especially as he had been knee deep in cow dung. He took the translocation in his stride however, and apologised for his state of dress. His eyes widened when he saw Sam.

"Major Carter," he breathed.

"Uh?" she hesitated.

Jack shook his head at Joe, warning the man to drop the subject, which he duly did.

"See, I'm not the only one," he hissed in Sam's ear.

She ignored him, concentrating on showing her daughter the view outside. Earth was turning slowly below them. Jack knew he would never get tired of the view,

"Beautiful, isn't it?" he said.

"You have no idea," she replied.

Sophie sat down suddenly, transfixed.

"This is all very nice," Kinsey's voice interrupted them, "but haven't we got a treaty to sign?"

"Yes, which reminds me, you need to bring me up to speed," Joe said smoothly.

Jack knew there was a reason he liked the guy. Things would be a whole lot easier with Joe here. The former ambassador would have no problem in cutting through Kinsey's crap...without resorting to a very large knife. Jack himself was getting sick of the part he was being forced to play in all this. He was a soldier and not a diplomat.

The journey to Tollana was mercifully short. When they assembled for beam down, there was only one thing on Jack's mind. Charlie. As soon as they arrived on the surface, he started looking around for his son.

"Dad!" the yell could have been heard back on Earth.

Jack turned around and saw Charlie racing towards him. Dammit but the kid had grown in the weeks Jack had been away. He looked well though, with no sign of the illness which had followed the removal of the Goa'uld. For a few seconds Jack thought he was going to cry as he held Charlie real tight.

"Quit with the mushy stuff, Dad." Charlie grumbled.

"Put up with it or you're grounded," Jack joked back.

He looked up to see Teal'c standing quietly to one side.

"Thank you," Jack said.

The big man nodded.

"It was an honour O'Neill."

Chancellor Travell was leading the party away to a special reception. Jack wondered exactly how Kinsey would respond to the deactivation of the weapons his minions were carrying.

Jack decided to eschew the formal dinner, choosing instead to spend time with Charlie. The two of them disappeared to a nearby pond with a couple of improvised fishing rods.

"Sam came back," Charlie nudged his father as they sat together on the bank.

"Yeah," Jack replied.

"And?"

"What?"

"Dad!"

"Look Charlie, there's something you have to know."

He didn't really know what to say. It wasn't like she was a different woman, not exactly.

"She's been sick," he began.

"Like I was?"

"Not really. Sam doesn't remember the time she spent with us. I think she got hit on the head or something."

"Oh. Doesn't she remember you?"

"No. We're having to get to know each other all over again."

"So you're not getting laid then?"

"Jeeze, Charlie!"

But Jack couldn't help grinning. Sometimes the kid was too sharp for his own damn good. But his attraction for Sam... yes he did admit he was attracted to her...wasn't just about sex. Which sounded corny even to his own ears.

*************************************************************************************

Sam watched Sophie, wondering how the child could sleep so peacefully on this strange world. Everywhere Sam looked there was technology she was just itching to take apart. But she guessed her hosts wouldn't be happy if she started to dismantle her room just to find out how the fixtures and fittings worked. Somewhere close by she knew her fellow humans were enjoying the Tollan hospitality. Sam had decided she was better off staying away. She couldn't deal with Kinsey right now so she had used Sophie as an excuse. The Tollans had been understanding and had provided them with food and living quarters. Sam didn't know what had happened to Jack. Sitting here, looking out at the stars of another world, Sam was eternally grateful to him.

The sound of footsteps behind her disturbed her reverie. Sam turned around smiling. For some reason she had expected to see Jack. It was Kinsey.

"Nice," he said.

"Please leave," she told him.

"Oh I don't think so."

He walked further into the room. There was something predatory about the way he moved.

"What do you want?" she demanded.

His fingers reached out to caress her face. Sam held her ground, not wanting to flinch before him. She would never admit that he was scaring her.

"We had it good, didn't we Sam? What has O'Neill got?" he hissed.

"I don't know what you mean."

"Is it the hero thing?"

Kinsey's other hand shot out, catching her around the throat.

"Let go," she gasped.

"I don't care. He'll not stay, you know that. You'll be forced to come crawling back!"

"You're hurting me."

He let go.

"Start on the technology here. I want to know how it works and whether we can reverse engineer anything."

Sam was still trying to get her breath back and was unable to reply. Kinsey left without a backwards glance, for which she was profoundly grateful. She was angry at herself more than anything. He deserved a knee in the groin, but the bastard knew she would be unwilling to do anything when her daughter was asleep in the adjoining room. Stealing technology from these people wasn't the reason why she was here.

Sam realised she had to get away from here. Somewhere far away where no one could find them. There was a Stargate on this world, but Sam quickly realised she couldn't go anywhere without the necessary co-ordinates.

Her earlier elation had been washed away in a wave of depression. Why had Jack really invited her here? Maybe he wanted the same thing as Kinsey?

Fine.

Sam decided there and then to give him what he wanted. Get it over with now and her expectations couldn't drop any further.

*************************************************************************************

Jack lingered outside for a long time, even after he had sent Charlie to bed. The boy went without too much protest. It seemed that Teal'c had been impressing the youngster with a warrior code whereby he had to have at least ten hours sleep. Consequently staying up past sunset was a novelty, one which Jack was sure would wear off before long.

He was enjoying the peace of the night when he heard footsteps on the path behind him. He turned to see Sam, his breath catching in his throat. There was something different about her. Clothes, hair, he couldn't quite place it.

"Hey," he grinned, "What do you think?"

"It's beautiful," she replied.

To his surprise she came closer, laying her hand on his arm.

"Thank you," she said.

"You're welcome."

There was something about this that was making him incredibly nervous...or perhaps it was the conversation he and Charlie had had earlier. What was the kid doing talking about sex anyway? Shouldn't he still be in the girls are ikky phase? He was growing up faster than he had any right to and Jack wished Sara could see him.

Jack was suddenly overcome by melancholy, tinged with more than a little guilt. He thought he had come to terms with his wife's death as a casualty of the war with the Goa'uld.

"Jack?" Sam asked, "Are you okay?"

He realised he'd stopped walking.

"Yeah. I... do you mind if we go back?"

"No."

She smiled slightly, as if she were pleased about something. But Jack couldn't work out what it was so he put it down to her joy at being on another world. Being a gentleman, he walked Sam back to the rooms she had been assigned. They paused on the threshold and before he quite realised what was happening Sam's hand had slid to the back of his neck and she was pulling him close for a kiss.

It was nice. He could admit that much. Sam's mouth was soft and warm beneath his and he could feel the barest hint of her tongue. She gave a little moan as he instinctively deepened the kiss. Somehow the noise was enough to jerk Jack back to reality. He pulled away.

"Do you want to come in?" she asked.

"Sam...I'm sorry. This isn't a good time," he attempted to explain. "My wife..."

"There's always a wife, Jack, but she's not here now."

"She's dead."

"Oh God."

He turned away from her, walking quickly down the corridor, ignoring her shouts of,

"Jack, please. Jack, I'm sorry."

Now he knew what her smile had been about. She had been planning to seduce him and he wondered if this had been part of Kinsey's plan all along. And he had fallen for it, like the sap he was. There was no excuse he could find.

"Jack."

He didn't want to see her right now. She really didn't care who she screwed. He'd thought Sam was capable of some compassion, but the way she had callously dismissed the possibility he still had a wife...

"Please!"

Jack broke into a run, taking himself away from the sound of her voice. When he got back to his quarters he was out of breath, struggling to calm himself down. It was lucky that Charlie was asleep. Jack didn't relish the idea of explaining exactly what had happened. Part of the problem was he had enjoyed kissing Sam. There wasn't anything wrong with that per se, but he had thought she actually liked him. If nothing else, tonight had brought home to him that this woman wasn't the Samantha Carter who had saved his life. He didn't know what had happened, but he wished she were here now.

*************************************************************************************

Sam let lose a stream of swear words as she walked back into her quarters. She couldn't believe she had misjudged the situation so badly. Being turned down was a new experience for her, but under the circumstances, Sam couldn't really hold that against him. She'd known Jack long enough to realise he was a nice guy and unlikely to jump into bed with the first woman that came along. Which was really bad from Sam's point of view, because there was something about his reticence that Sam found really attractive. Or maybe it was the fact that he had obviously loved his wife.

Damn.

She was going to have to do something. Find some way to explain to him...if he'd listen. After everything that had happened recently, she couldn't believe she'd screwed up again. She lay on her bed for what felt like hours, playing the scene through in her mind. If nothing else it had been a wake up call. There were people who would help her, without expecting anything in return. She had to wonder how her life would have turned out if she'd been working for someone like Jack. At least he would have given her a chance.

Her regrets building, Sam decided that she had to clear the air. Pulling on a robe, she lefts her room, hastening through the dim corridors towards Jack's room. She had to announce her presence several times, before he answered the door.

"I just wanted to apologise," she said, before he could close the door again.

"Okay."

The door started to slide shut in her face, but Sam stuck her foot out.

"I thought because you helped me you wanted something back."

"Well you thought wrong."

"Yeah."

"Dad?"

Jack looked slightly panicked at the sound of his son's voice, but he couldn't do anything to stop the boy seeing who was calling so late.

"Sam!" the child cried out.

"Hi...Charlie, right?" Sam replied.

"Yeah. Dad said you didn't remember."

"I don't."

"That's okay."

If only Jack would forgive her as easily as his son? Sam realised she had already outstayed her welcome and made to leave.

"You don't have to go," Charlie protested. "Seriously."

"Yes, she does," Jack said firmly.

"I promise I'll go right back to sleep. I won't listen or anything."

"Charlie bed now!"

Sam couldn't stop herself smiling, even though she attempted to hide the expression from the outraged Jack.

"Just go," he told her.

"I'll see you in the morning."

"Sam?"

"Yes?"

"Slow, okay. I need to take things slow."

"Sure."

Sam's smile turned to a full fledged grin as she walked away.



Jack hadn't slept in twenty-four hours and he was in no mood to put up with Kinsey's bullshit. He didn't know if the Senator was deliberately being pig headed, but neither he or Joe could make the man see sense. Even thought the Goa'uld had left Earth there was no reason to think that they wouldn't be back. The planet needed protection, and Kinsey was insisting the Asgard and the Tollan give so much more.

"We don't need their stuff, but we do need them!" Jack heard himself yell, even though he knew that getting angry would to no good at all.

"Thank you, Jack," the Senator snapped. "Please excuse General O'Neill, he doesn't understand the intricacies of negotiation."

"Intricacies, my ass. I understand one thing, nothing happens here without me."

He picked up his briefcase and started to stuff papers inside.

"Jack?" Joe asked sounding a little nervous.

"These guys happen to like me," Jack said, before he walked out of the council chamber. "I'll see you tomorrow."

He knew he should have kept his temper, but after last night he really needed to vent. Sam had made herself part of Kinsey's world, he realised and it wasn't a place he liked very much. If he could just get through these negotiations, he could go home, disappear into the backwoods of Minnesota and never come out again.

Jack's quarters were empty when he got back. He guessed that Charlie was out somewhere with Teal'c. At another time he might have been jealous of the friendship between the two, but right now he just wanted to sleep. Jack didn't bother to get undressed. He slumped onto his bed and slipped into a deep sleep. Maybe if he hadn't been so tired he would have heard the men enter his room. As it was, they had pinned him down before he could even react. He recognised them immediately. Kinsey's men, and the good senator was standing at the end of the bed.

"Nothing is going to stop me getting what I want, especially you," the man sneered.

A rag was shoved over his mouth and nose and he was forced to take a deep breath. The senator must have realised that Jack would never come quietly and drugs was the only answer.

"You know what to do boys," Kinsey ordered.

The world was fading in and out but Jack felt the hands holding him relax for a moment. With effort he tore himself away, but his limbs had lost all co-ordination. He swung at the face nearest to his own, but his fist failed to connect. Laughter followed his efforts. The more he tried to hit something, the louder it got. As his movements became weaker, they grabbed his arms and started to drag him outside.

Jack lost consciousness sometime before they reached the Stargate. When he woke up, he was somewhere else ... and he was cold.

*************************************************************************************

"Sam?"

She looked up at the sound of Charlie's voice and smiled.

"Hey Charlie."

"Have you seen my Dad?" he went on.

"Not recently, why?"

"He wasn't in his room when I got back last night. I thought he might have been with you."

"No. I'm sorry."

"Okay."

The boy turned away, shoulders slumped, looking totally dejected.

"What do you say I help you look for him?"

If they had been still been on Earth Sam would have suspected that Jack had gone off to get quietly drunk. However, this was Tollana, you just couldn't do that. They didn't have to look for long before Sam realised that Jack wasn't anywhere to be found. Something wasn't right, Sam felt it instinctively. She sent Charlie to find Teal'c, whilst she sought out Jack's friend, Joe Faxon.

Joe was in conversation with Councillor Travell, but he broke off the conversation when he saw Sam.

"Have you seen Jack?" he asked her. "I don't want to continue to negotiations without him."

"No, that's why I came to see you," she explained. "When was the last time you saw him?"

"He got pissed at Kinsey and walked out of the meeting yesterday and I haven't seen him since."

"Charlie says he didn't go back to his quarters last night."

"I'll ask around, maybe someone saw where he went."

Sam had a very bad feeling about all of this. Especially when Joe reported back that the Stargate had been activated on the evening before. She was probably the only person here who knew what Kinsey was capable of. Making someone 'disappear' wouldn't be below him and it looked like Jack had set himself up. She could only hope that they hadn't killed him first.

When she saw Charlie again he was clearly upset although he was trying not to show it.

"Can you find him?" he asked.

"I can try," Sam admitted.

But she'd have to do something she didn't want to and if Jack ever found out, he'd never speak to her again. His life was a stake, however. Even if they hadn't killed him, Sam realised they probably wouldn't have sent him through the Stargate unharmed. As she had done so many times before, Sam buried her feelings deep inside, attaining a cold state of detachment. Only then could she do what she had to.

The Tollan technology was surprisingly easy to steal. Mostly because no one expected her to do it. She tucked the components away before hurrying to Kinsey's suite of rooms. The senator didn't seem surprised to see her, or by the gift she had for him.

"I knew you'd see sense," was all he said.

"Yeah. O'Neill's gone.. I guess he wasn't much of a hero after all."

She added just the right tone of disappointment to her voice before adding,

"And he was a lousy lay."

At that the senator laughed.

"If this is an attempt to get back in my bed?"

"Am I that transparent?"

"Maybe."

"You know me Robert, I thought he could offer me something better."

"Yes I do know you."

He walked towards her. Sam hissed as he grabbed her hair, forcing her head back and exposing her throat...but she turned it into a low laugh. She could do rough, if he wanted it that way.

Later, when she was lying by his side she asked the question,

"What really happened to Jack?"

"Don't worry, he won't be back."

"Ahh. Where did you send him?"

"Back to Earth."

Sam had to force herself not to break something Kinsey was very fond of. The Stargate lay buried beneath the remains of Cheyenne mountain. Yet they must have been able to form a wormhole, which meant the 'gate probably hadn't been destroyed. Assuming it wasn't covered in rubble there would be no way out of the mountain.

"With O'Neill out of the way, do you think we'll get what we want?" Sam asked.

"I'm sure of it," he answered.

When she finally got back to her quarters, Sam took a long, long shower.



"It has to be me," Sam said.

"You said yourself the Stargate on Earth may not be capable of reintegrating matter," Joe argued.

"If I don't come back, you know I've failed."

"I can't let you do this."

"You can't stop me."

"What about Sophie?"

At this Sam hesitated, but she was forced to admit the truth,

"She probably won't even notice I'm gone."

"I will go," Teal'c offered, but Sam shook her head.

"No, don't you understand, it has to be me."

They didn't. How could they? No one else knew what she had done to him. Sam was sure that, in some way, this was all her fault. Only Charlie had been quiet so far. Now the others had run out of arguments he stepped forward,

"Please find my Dad."

"I will."

It was a promise she probably couldn't keep, but it seemed to make the boy feel better.

"Have the medics on alert," Sam ordered as she settled the pack on her back and walked towards the Stargate.

For the first time in a long while she felt like Major Carter, in charge of her own destiny...even if that was to be splatted out the other side of a wormhole. Sam held her breath as she stepped through the Stargate for the first time. Intellectually she knew what to expect but that did not prepare her for the physical experience. She nearly threw up when she reached the other end. That and it was a great deal colder than she expected.

Sam sat up and looked around. This wasn't the SGC, she was in some kind of crevasse. Whatever, it didn't matter where she had ended up as long as Jack was here to.

"Jack!" she called as loud as she dared.

Her eyes were becoming used to the gloom. She could just about make out a dark shape huddled against the rock. It wasn't moving. Sam hurried to his side, pulling his prone form into her lap.

"Jack? Jack? Please don't be dead."

There was a response, his eyes flickered open.

"Cold," he told her.

"I know. Hang on a second."

She fished a blanket out of the supplies she carried and wrapped it around him. It wasn't much, but it would warm him a little while she found the DHD and...oh...Sam looked frantically around the cave. There was no sign of the dial-home-device.

*************************************************************************************

Someone was slapping him around the face. He'd been in the middle of this dream where he'd been stuck in a freezer and then,

Whack!

It wasn't a gentle slap either. Whoever was on the other end of the hand was pretty damn strong. Well, he'd show them! He wasn't going to wake up.

Whack!

Why wouldn't they quit? Couldn't they see he wanted to sleep? He was so tired and the hard, cold rock was a darn sight more comfortable than it looked. Rock. Cold. Ice. Stargate.

Jack opened his eyes to see Samantha Carter kneeling over him. Her blue eyes were clouded with tears, when she realised he was awake they began to spill down her cheeks.

"Oh thank God!" she breathed, drawing him into her arms. Jack would have pulled away but he realised she was just doing it to warm him up. Everything hurt. His body was bruised and beaten, but at least he wasn't quite so cold anymore. Sam was here. He didn't know how or why but she was definitely a sight for sore eyes.

"How did you find me?" he asked.

"You don't want to know," she replied.

He settled himself closer to her, despite the pain. Some might have called it snuggling but it wasn't. Not at all.

"Jack, as much as I might think this is nice, I have to go and look for the dial-home-device."

"The what?"

"I think it must have been separated from the Stargate by the ice flow."

"I have no idea what you're talking about."

"Just look for something with Stargate symbols on it."

"Okay."

He missed her warmth the second she let go. Trying to disguise the fact, he started to look around the cavern. It was hard, though, he couldn't feel his feet. Jack watched as Sam scrambled up to the top of an ice cliff. For someone who had, as far as he knew, little combat experience, she certainly seemed to know what she was doing. His jaw still ached from the slaps she had given.

"Where are we?" he asked.

"Earth, I think," she replied.

"You think?"

"Those were the co-ordinates I entered."

"This doesn't exactly look like the SGC."

"I know...ah."

"Ah?"

"I've found the DHD."

She grinned down at him and offered her hand. Despite his aching muscles Jack decided he could make it to the top unaided. He groaned as he did so. Seemed like Kinsey's goons had cracked a couple of ribs for good measure.

"Are you sure you're okay?" Sam asked.

"Yeah. Now where's this DAB?"

"DHD...and it's down there."

Looking through the ice, Jack could just about see the outlines of the alien machine. Sam pulled out a knife and started to chip away at the ice.

"You think you can get it working again?" he asked.

"I've studied the schematics."

"I'll take that a yes?"

Sam didn't reply.

They took it in turns to dig away at the ice until they were both too tired to move. In the end it was Jack who persuaded Sam they needed to rest. Together, they huddled under the meagre protection of the blanket she had brought along. Jack brought her close into his body, although she was hesitant at first. She was trembling, and not just from the cold.

"What?" he asked, "I thought this was what you wanted?"

It was, meant to be a joke, but Sam didn't smile.

"It's nothing," she assured him. "Another one of those thing you..."

"Don't want to know?"

They rested for a couple of hours, but neither of them slept. Jack could tell that Sam was eager to fix the DHD and get them out of there. He didn't exactly blame her. There was no way they could survive here for long.

"This must be the point of origin," she announced pointing to one of the symbols.

None of them meant anything to Jack so he just nodded.

"Here goes," she smiled as she started pushing symbols.

"Where are we going?" he asked.

"Back to Tollana."

"And I bet Kinsey will be overjoyed to see me."

Sam seemed to hesitate, but only for a second. She pressed the last symbol and the Stargate flashed to life. This time when she held out her hand, Jack took it, allowing her to lead him through the open 'gate.

They stepped back into the warmth of the early morning sun.

"What no reception committee?" Jack wondered.

"We were gone longer than I expected," Sam said.

"O'Neill!"

Teal'c stepped forward; the only one to have remained by the 'gate.

"T?"

"You're presence is required."

Jack nodded. Ignoring the cold still lingering in his bones, ignoring the ache in his beaten muscles and the pain of his broken ribs, he walked unaided to the conference chamber. He could feel the tension as soon as he entered.

"Sorry I'm late," was all he said.

Sam's eyes were on him, wondering why he wasn't strangling Kinsey. Although the thought had crossed his mind, getting this treaty signed was more important. Jack also realised that he had one over on the senator. The man didn't want his true nature revealed, which pretty much meant that Jack could negotiate whatever he damn well liked. They got further that afternoon than they had during the previous three days. Kinsey was practically apoplectic by the time they broke up for the evening and Jack was confident they'd have the i's dotted and the t's crossed the next morning.

Jack had just said goodnight to Heimdall and was walking back to his quarters when Kinsey caught up with him. Teal'c seemed to have appointed himself as Jack's bodyguard so he didn't really have any worries that the senator would try to finish what he started. Jack himself, was looking forward to taking a fistful of painkillers and going to bed.

"Congratulations," Kinsey said.

"Why thank you."

"You know why she was able to find you, don't you?"

"Sam's smart."

"Yes, she is, but not even she can find one 'gate address out of millions...not without a little help."

"What?"

"I just thought you should know how far she went to get it."

It wasn't even funny. Jack felt his heart sink, he should have known. Realising that the pain killers could probably wait, he changed direction and headed to Sam's quarters.

"Was it worth it?" he demanded.

Sam smoothed the hair from her daughters forehead, cradling the child close.

"Yes," she replied. "You would have been dead by now."

"Sam..."

"Jack, I know what I am, okay. I thought I could change and I was wrong."

"Did he hurt you?"

"What?"

"Did he hurt you?"

"No."

She could see that Jack was struggling to understand her, to work out exactly why she did what she did.

"Shouldn't you be seeing the medics?" she asked.

"Don't change the subject."

Sam kissed her daughter and gently eased herself away from the sleeping child. Beckoning to Jack, she led him into the other room.

"I'm sorry if that wasn't the way you wanted to be rescued, Jack," she hissed, "but we needed that address."

"I'm not worth it."

"Dammit Jack, yes you are. You know damn well Kinsey would have totally screwed up and where would that have left Earth? Not everyone can escape through a Stargate. "

"Sam..."

"He didn't hurt me, I'm fine. It wasn't much fun but I saved your life. Subject closed."

He opened his mouth but Sam glared at him and he shut it again.

"Go, get someone to look at you," she ordered. "If you fall over I'm not picking you up again."

The barest suggestion of a smile twitched at the corners of his mouth and Sam knew he was a little way towards forgiving her. She was glad. After all, she was shouldering enough disgust for both of them. Sam took another shower before she went to bed.

It was the smell that woke her; fresh baked bread. Her stomach growled as she rolled out of bed, reminding her that she had neglected to eat any supper. Sam walked into the other room to see the table laid for breakfast. She suppressed a shiver, could this be Kinsey? The thought of him in her quarters was enough to put her off her food.

"Hello?" she called out.

"Good morning."

"Jack!"

She grinned at the man as he stepped forward. Sophie was with him, her hand clasped in his.

"I thought we could have a quiet breakfast, but someone had other ideas," he explained.

"She likes you," Sam smiled.

Taking a bread roll from the table she handed it to Sophie.

"Thank you," she said.

"You saved my life and I guess I wasn't very grateful."

"It's okay. I'm used to it."

Sam could tell he was still struggling to understand her, but she appreciated his gesture. He held out a chair for her, and she sat down. He poured out a hot beverage, which turned out to be something that tasted almost, but not entirely, unlike coffee. For a few moments they ate in silence.

"When we get back to Earth," he began, "what are you going to do?"

"Finding somewhere for us to live would be a good start. After that, I don't know. I hope the government will still want me to work on the Stargate program."

"What Stargate program?"

"I've been thinking about that. There's no reason the Goa'uld wouldn't have put a second Stargate on Earth, if the first one became lost to them. I'm sure we can find it and then... the possibilities are endless."

Her own words surprised her. She didn't think she had the ability to dream new dreams. Sam glanced over at Jack, he was smiling at her. For a second she felt the heat of a blush on her face.

"I hope you succeed," he said.

After breakfast, Jack went to wrap up the negotiations, whilst Sam took Sophie for a walk. The sun was shining, and although there were clouds threatening on the horizon she felt all was right with the world. Even if her relationship with Jack didn't progress beyond friendship at least she seemed to have gained a measure of his respect. Which was worth more to her than anything else. It was doubtful that Kinsey had been silenced. No doubt he'd raise his head some point, but Sam no longer needed him. Hopefully, he have the sense to leave her alone. If not, well she knew enough about him, to make his life very uncomfortable. She could keep both herself and Sophie safe.

Which was all that was important, wasn't it?

*************************************************************************************

Jack felt a real sense of accomplishment as he shook hands with Heimdall and Travell. This treaty had been hard work, but he was proud of what he had done. Maybe, just maybe, the world would be a little safer now, for Charlie, for Sophie... His thoughts returned to Sam. He wondered where she'd really end up. Back in some guys bed? He hoped not. Of course if that guy just happened to be him...? He really shouldn't be thinking those thoughts, he realised. When they got back who knew what paths their lives would lead? Jack would almost certainly go back to Colorado Springs and Sam would want to stay in Washington. Besides, there was still the question of Sara. Jack had never really mourned for his wife and he needed to.

Their trip back was booked that afternoon. Jack spent the short time with Sam, both of them staring at the view outside. Neither of them seemed to be able to say a word. Perhaps it was because their respective children were also present. Charlie was a bundle of repressed energy, whilst Sophie just held her mother's hand.

They reached Earth orbit all too soon and Jack was suddenly faced with the prospect of finding the right words to say goodbye.

"So," he began and then stopped.

"I guess this is goodbye," she smiled.

"Yeah, thanks again for the whole life saving thing."

"You're welcome. If you're ever in Washington..."

"Sure."

The conversation faded, or would have done if Charlie hadn't chosen that moment to yell,

"Just kiss her already!"

"Charlie!"

"Dad!"

And Sam burst out laughing...which actually made it very difficult to kiss her. And Jack suddenly realised that he wanted to, very much. Reaching forward, he placed a finger on her mouth.

"I don't want to disappoint him," he smiled.

Then he kissed her. It wasn't a very good kiss, if he were honest with himself. For some dumb reason he was nervous. When he pulled away he was scared she was going to laugh again, but Sam just smiled.

"Goodbye," she said.

"I'll see you soon," Jack promised.

Then she was gone.



THREE MONTHS LATER: WASHINGTON DC

Jack was late. He'd like to blame someone else for his tardiness but it was entirely his own fault, and due to nothing more than oversleeping. Of course as a General in the USAF he knew the meeting couldn't start without him, but even so... He hurried up the steps of the Airforce headquarters, straight into a uniformed officer coming the other way.

"Jack?" a voice, her voice asked.

"What the...? Sam?"

He couldn't believe it.

"Did you get my message?" he asked.

"Yes, but when I called back you'd already left."

Despite his lateness, Jack took a moment to drink in the sight of her. She looked well, he realised. Her cheeks were slightly flushed and her eyes sparkled with life and enthusiasm.

"Look, I've got to go, see you later?" Jack had to excuse himself.

"Sure. Drop buy about 1900."

"Where?"

"Same place, they gave it back."

"Okay. Want me to bring anything?"

"I'm good."

Giving her a quick peck on the cheek, he headed into the building. His meeting was going to last twice as long, now that he knew he was seeing Sam at the end of it. Which was also the reason he had a stupid grin on his face the whole time. The rest of the committee didn't see there was much to smile about, he could tell by their disapproving expressions. Maybe they were right. The people of Earth were still licking their respective wounds and keeping a collective eye on the sky. Sure it wasn't easy, but Jack was starting to believe there was happiness to be found.

Jack was a little late, having ducked back to his hotel to change, but Sam gave no sign of annoyance. She seemed very relaxed when she opened the door. The apartment hadn't changed much, except for the fact there was a TV playing quietly in the corner.

"You got TV!" Jack exclaimed.

"Only re-runs," Sam replied.

"So what's new?"

Sophie was sitting in front of the set but she looked up as Jack walked in. She gave him a shy smile. Jack looked at Sam.

"We're getting there," she said. "Sophie, do you remember Jack?"

The girl nodded her head.

"I got you something," Jack said, kneeling down before her. He brought a bear from behind his back. It was a little old and battered, but Sophie didn't seem to mind. She took it in her arms.

"Say thank you," Sam reminded her.

"Thank you," the girl whispered.

"You're welcome."

She returned to her television and Jack followed Sam into the kitchen.

"That was nice of you," she said.

"It was one of Charlie's, he said he didn't mind."

"How's he doing?"

"Good. He wasn't too pleased when school started again but I think he's resigned himself to it. Of course someone called Susan might just have reconciled him to the fact."

They ate dinner and Jack helped Sam put Sophie to bed. Afterwards they sat together and talked long into the night. Sam seemed happy with her new life. They had retrieved the Stargate from Antarctica and she was in charge of the project to get it working again. It seemed the DHD would no longer power the 'gate so she was having fun Macgyvering a computer system. She'd fought tooth and nail to get the position. Apparently some nerd called Rodney Mackay had thought he was better qualified for the job, but Sam had stood her ground and had won through. Jack himself had been busy at Peterson.

"I'm hoping we can get up and running soon," Sam was saying. "Earth needs those off -world resources more than ever."

"After everything that's happened I just hope I get the chance to at least see it," Jack sighed.

"You never know, Jack. After all the Asgard do like you."

"For some strange reason."

Sam smiled and then ruined the effect by yawning.

"I should go," Jack said.

"You don't have to," Sam replied. Then she shook her head.

"What?"

"I'm sorry, I forgot."

Taking her hand, Jack started to speak,

"Sam, I came here tonight because I wanted to see you. Not because I expected anything to happen."

"I know... it's just... I like you too Jack."

"The feeling is mutual."

*************************************************************************************

Sam stepped into the shower, allowing the warm water to flow over her body. It wasn't long before she heard the bathroom door open and her sleeping partner joined her. She treated him to a mock glare as he reached for the soap.

"Missed you," he said by way of explanation.

Bending down, he brushed his lips against hers. They would have lingered in the shower, but Sam knew Sophie would be waking soon and wanting breakfast. She was just glad that her child had slept through the night. Sam wouldn't have relished any interruptions.

He pulled her into his arms as they finished dressing, enjoying a last moment of privacy.

"Do you have to go?" Sam heard herself ask.

"For now," he sighed. "But I'll be back...if you want?"

"Oh I want."

"And maybe you and Sophie could come visit? I know Charlie wouldn't mind."

She kissed him hungrily, knowing it had to last them a while. Sam realised it was too soon to be talking of futures, but she had the feeling this was going to be special.