samandjack.net

Story Notes: SEASON/SEQUEL INFO: Season Six

SERIES: None

CONTENT WARNING: None

DATE: 10th November, 2002

ARCHIVED: SJA, Heliopolis

AUTHOR’S NOTES: I have no idea what sprouted this fic anymore. It just appeared fully fledged from my head…hah! I wish. It began developing after I read Suz’s ‘Silhouette’ fic and reviewed JoJo’s ‘Jacob Carter Knows Everything’ fic for the GateReview Project (http://www.gatereview.net/directory.asp) - both very good stories which prompted me to consider this question.

Why is Jacob always ‘okay’ with the Sam-Jack thing?

I’m a contrary bitch at heart, so I thought I’d take an opposite approach and have Dad reach for the ribbon device. I’ve had the idea for a ‘truth or ribbon device’ speech by Jacob for I-don’t-know-how-long. This is as close to it as I’m ever gonna get. And the other two were just for fun.


First it was Rak’nor, young, earnest and really a bit of a surprise.

Jacob had been relaxing in the afternoon sun of the Alpha site after the previous day’s hectic events. The Tok’ra were due to move out to locate a new homeworld tomorrow morning and the preparations for departure were being finalised by Malek and his subordinates. Once the Tok’ra were gone, the non-permanent personnel at the Alpha Site would return to the SGC - among them Sam, Colonel O’Neill, and Teal’c.

In the meantime, Jacob was taking a moment to watch Sam explaining the workings of a naquadah reactor to a crowd of Tok’ra and Jaffa. Bright rays of sun in the hazy blue sky punctuated the blonde glints of her hair as she tilted her head to listen to a question one of the Tok’ra was asking. Her hands described lines and arcs in the air, conveying as much meaning as the words which spilled easily from her lips.

Selmak had teased his host about being an old man sitting back in the afternoon sun, doting on his daughter. Jacob had ignored the jibe. Sarouche had been very serious when she spoke of Selmak’s sense of the wry and the amusing.

“Jacob Carter of the Tok’ra.”

“Rak’nor of the...” Selmak helpfully supplied the details of the young Jaffa’s ancestry, “...Northern Hills. How may I help you?”

The kid looked like an errant student sent to the principal’s office for a dressing-down.

“Jacob Carter, I wish to speak with you about your daughter.”

Jacob nodded and waited. No response seemed forthcoming and after a moment Jacob asked, “What about Sam?”

Rak’nor looked confused. “I wish to speak with you about her.”

“Yeah, you just said that.” Jacob had the feeling he was missing something important in this conversation. Some hidden subtext that was passing by him.

Rule Number One of being a Tok’ra host: when all else fails, ask your symbiote for help.

Selmak!

It was a moment before Selmak answered him. I think he wishes to court Samantha, Jacob.

‘Court’ her…as in…

As in ‘run away with her and make little Jaffa babies’, Selmak told him. And that was your thought, Jacob, not mine.

This was one of the times when the whole ‘snake in the head’ business could be a pain in the mikta.

Okay, so Rak’nor was interested in Sam. Jacob could deal with that. His ‘little girl’ had grown into a beautiful, intelligent, independent woman. She was also a USAF Major with responsibilities to that organisation and to Earth as well as the last repository of all the information about Jolinar of Malkshur.

And, incidentally, Jacob’s daughter. Which was why Rak’nor had come to him.

It was a new experience. Sam’s long-ago fiance - what was the man’s name? - had certainly never come knocking on Jacob’s door to ask permission to marry Sam. Probably just as well. From the sound of it, the man had been a bad apple. Jacob probably would have tossed him out the front door without further ado, thereby sealing his obstinate daughter’s matrimonial fate.

Is it not a good thing that you have mellowed since then? Selmak smirked.

Jacob administered a mental ‘thwap’ to his impudent symbiote and addressed Rak’nor. “Uh…have you spoken to my daughter about this?”

“Why would that be necessary?” Rak’nor seemed a little surprised.

“Ah...” Okay, how to navigate out of this one? Selmak provided a few options and Jacob reached for one. “Well, according to Tau’ri custom, I’m not the one you persuade about all this, Rak’nor. You approach Sam and get her…uh…permission. If she’s interested in you, then I’ll start taking an interest in the situation. But I trust Sam’s judgement on these matters - and ultimately she’s the one who’ll have to put up with you. So you’re actually asking the wrong Carter.” Now that the initial shock had worn off, Jacob was rather enjoying this conversation. “You’ll have to talk to Sam about it.”

“I see.” Rak’nor glanced over to where Sam was answering questions of the men assembled there. “This is the way things work among the Tau’ri, then?”

“Yes.”

“And I have your approval to speak with her regarding this matter?”

“You do.” Jacob said, feeling no compunction about it. If Sam wasn’t interested - and he rather doubted that she was - then Rak’nor would be let down easy.

And learn a valuable lesson about Tau’ri women at the same time? Selmak offered, a mischievous voice in the back of Jacob’s head. The symbiote was undeterred by his host’s reprimand of before.

Jacob snorted: And learn a valuable lesson about Carter women at the same time.

“Thank you, Jacob Carter.” Rak’nor saluted him, Jaffa-style, then strode away to stand on the fringe of the Sam’s audience.

The boy doesn’t let the grass grow under his feet. Jacob mused.

Not a bad trait in a son-in-law, Selmak teased.

Jacob doubted Sam would accept Rak’nor’s offer. Sam was her own woman first and foremost. Any man who wanted more of her than her friendship and respect would have to live with that, and while the Jaffa had come a long way, their cultural system was still rigidly patriarchal. Sam would never stand for that.

Although, since Rak’nor had worked with the Tau’ri several times, he probably had a good idea of Sam’s capabilities. Whether he could overcome old habits to accept them would be a different matter.

Ah well, Jacob said, turning back to his contemplation of the warm, gold afternoon, patched by the subtle greens and browns that Jacob missed on the desert planets the Tok’ra had set as their base. No reason to worry about it until anything happens.

You do not think Samantha will be swept off her feet by Rak’nor?

Let’s just say that however much of a ‘doting father’ I am, I can’t see Sam being swept off her feet by anyone, Jacob commented dryly.

You may one day be surprised, Selmak said cryptically. But for all the poking and prodding Jacob did, he couldn’t get his symbiote to share the thought which had prompted that sly statement.

·

The sun was setting in a brilliant blaze of colour and light. Shadows of night were inching over the camp, and the humans, Tok’ra, and Jaffa had settled down around campfires of comradeship for the night.

Inside the command building, however, a discussion was taking place regarding reserve supplies and what the Tok’ra remnant could take with them. The Alpha Site quartermaster was working through the available supplies, trying to develop a balance between what the Tok’ra needed and what the Tau’ri could supply.

It was during a pause in this discussion that the question fell.

“Major Carter has been working with the Tau’ri since they started travelling through the Stargate, has she not?”

It was a curious, almost off-hand question - except that Selmak had known Malek for thousands of years and knew that nothing this man did was off-hand.

Jacob glanced up from the reports and exchanged a glance with Jack who was leaning on the bench beside him. Jack was looking questioningly at the Tok’ra as Jacob answered the question. “Yeah, Sam’s been with the SGC since its inception. Not quite since the first trip through the gate, but close enough.” He regarded Malek mildly. “Why?”

“She is most accomplished in the technology of both the Tok’ra and the Tau’ri.”

“Not as accomplished in Tok’ra technology as she’d like,” Jack entered the conversation. His voice had a slightly hostile edge to it - no doubt a dig at the Tok’ra reluctance to share the knowledge they possessed

Malek gave the Colonel a look which had cowed lesser men. Unfortunately for Malek, Jack O’Neill was not a man easily subdued. ‘Insubordinate subordinate’ was a more accurate description than the ATF operative had known when he commented on it during the Seth incident.

“Perhaps she would appreciate some time with the Tok’ra to study our technology.” Malek regarded first Jack, then turned to Jacob, “And to spend some time with her father. I would be willing to authorise her presence among our people for such a stay.”

Jack regarded the Tok’ra commander solidly. “Really.”

Skepticism was clear in the Colonel’s voice and Malek responded to it: “You do not think she would wish to visit?”

“I’m wondering where the hook is.”

A bewildered expression crossed Malek’s face, “I do not understand.”

One corner of Jacob’s mouth turned up, “It’s an Earth thing, Malek,” he explained to the puzzled Tok’ra.

Jack was neither deterred, nor finished. “See, Carter’s been requesting permission to study Tok’ra technology on and off for the last four years. Your scientists - Anise, Renal - those gals - they kept stonewalling her…”

“Stonewalling?”

Jacob shrugged, “Another Earth thing.”

“I see.”

“…the thing is…you’ve been putting Carter off studying your stuff for the last four years - why the sudden change of heart?”

Malek was becoming disconcerted by the take-no-prisoners approach of the Colonel. “I do not see what say you have…”

“I am Major Carter’s commanding officer. If I don’t think the risk is worth it, we won’t be going anywhere near your planet. Remember what brought you to our site in the first place?”

Okay, so Jack O’Neill needed lessons in diplomacy. Reminding Malek of the situation which had lost not only a great many of their remnant population but a good friend was not wise.

The Tok’ra rallied well: “We would take every precaution to see that she…”

“And that’s another thing.” Malek was no match for an Air Force Colonel on the warpath. “She goes, we come along too. It’s a package deal.”

Malek blinked, “And the ‘package deal’ is another Earth concept?”

“Got it in one. She goes, we go.” Jack made it sound like Sam and her team were joined at the hip, Jacob thought. Or at least the shoulder. “So why’re you suddenly so eager to have Carter follow you home?” Jack raised his eyebrows in a way that was no less challenging for being comical.

“I was not aware that I had to explain my actions,” Malek responded stiffly and a little angrily.

“Huh, there’s no have to about it. But if I’m not satisfied that everything is okay, then she won’t be going anywhere.”

“I am aware that Major Carter has an aptitude in technology of all kinds, Colonel. I was merely offering her the opportunity to study in an area of her interest. You have been wishing this opportunity for some time?”

“Ye-es.” It was amazing how Jack O’Neill could draw a monosyllable out to two distinct syllables.

“If you reacted this way with previous offers of assistance, then it is no wonder Major Carter does not possess the technical skill she desires.”

“Hey! I had nothing to do with those negotiations! Like I said, Carter’s been asking, your scientists have been trying to avoid giving her anything to work with. Suddenly you turn around and are making nice.” Jack smiled, a tight cynical smile, “Let’s just say I’m a suspicious bastard, Malek.”

“I can certainly see that,” the Tok’ra commander responded coolly. “Perhaps I should put the proposition to Major Carter herself to be more favourably received?”

“You do that,” Jack replied, just as coolly. “I can guarantee that she’ll still have to go through me and Hammond as her commanders.”

The quartermaster looked a little surprised by the exchange between Colonel O’Neill and Malek and Jacob knew quite how he felt. Selmak, is everything right with Malek? He’s never been the most yielding of our number but I never recall him locking horns with someone like this before.

He may still be grieving for Aucher - they were good friends for many years, Jacob. Jacob felt the terrible sorrow at the loss of yet another one of their number - and something else. Something which Selmak was hiding from him.

Selmak?

His attention was taken away by the conversation between the two commanders. “You are very protective of your people, Colonel O’Neill.” Even if Malek wasn’t saying Jack was being overprotective, he was probably thinking it.

“It’s a habit we have,” Jack said sardonically. “We make it a policy to avoid leaving our people behind. Mostly because we can’t take the snake out of their head and stuff it in someone else’s to get the intel left behind.”

“If you are referring to your blending with Kanan…”

“Okay, let’s get this straight! There was no blending!”

“There must have been some degree of blending or else…”

“…or else what? Your slippery little friend wouldn’t have gone AWOL with my body?”

“Or else Kanan would not have returned for the slave.”

“See! She doesn’t even have a name to you! She’s just ‘the slave’. That annoys me!”

“Gentlemen!” Jacob barked, taking a leaf out of his parade ground days.

The two men - human and Tok’ra - jumped like raw recruits, having forgotten his presence in the heat of their argument. The Alpha Site quartermaster jumped, too - an impressive feat for the rotund middle-aged man.

“Malek, if you think our scientists are willing to share some knowledge with Sam, I’m sure she’ll be happy to take you up on it - subject to her commander’s approval. Jack, you know the SGC and the Tok’ra don’t always see eye to eye in the methods they use to fight against the Goa’uld - don’t push it. Certainly not here. Now, if you’ve finished posturing like a couple of adolescents, we have other matters to deal with.”

Malek gave Jack a quick glare, then turned back to Jacob and nodded his head before returning his attention to the lists before him.

Naturally Jack couldn’t resist a final jibe - thankfully directed at Jacob and not Malek. “Yes, Dad.”

It wasn’t until several hours later when the final lists had been decided and most people had gone to sleep that Jacob recalled that Selmak had been concealing something from him.

What were you being so secretive about, Selmak? While the symbiote and host could share everything, it was not an uncommon practise for each to give the other a certain amount of ‘space’ where it was generally agreed that the other did not go without invitation. Given the individualistic nature of the ‘Tau’ri’ mindset, it had been a source of relief to Jacob to have somewhere he could ‘retreat’ from time to time.

The symbiote sighed, I should have known you would insist on knowing more. Very well. I suspect Malek is interested in your daughter.

And all Jacob could think was: Another one?

You seem surprised that your daughter should be considered attractive by other men.

Apart from Martouf and Lantesh, I haven’t really been paying attention to Sam’s love life. She may very well have a man stashed away somewhere on Earth about which I know nothing. The idea of his adult daughter with a man - never mind how old she was - had about the same level of appeal as it had when she was a stunning eighteen year-old.

Did you really have a panic attack when she decided to join the Air Force?

Of course I did! Jacob well remembered looking at his daughter as she made the announcement about her future and thinking of the hundreds upon hundreds of self-important, egotistical, hormonally adolescent, would-be flyboys who’d take one look at her and spring to the wrong kind of attention. It’s just…I haven’t heard about a long-term love-interest in Sam’s life since…well, since she split with her fiance over seven years ago. Heck, I haven’t heard about any short-term love-interests in her life, either!

Ah. Selmak considered the situation. I doubt that Malek asked out of anything more than interest to see if Samantha might be interested in the opportunity to work with the Tok’ra scientists. Should he have further designs on her person, he would have to establish some form of relationship with her.

Jacob snorted as he leaned back on his bedroll. Malek would have to get past her team-mates first. He was right. Jack’s very protective of his people.

After what happened to Dr. Jackson, can you blame him for wishing to keep his team intact?

No. Jacob couldn’t.

Still, he was just the tiniest bit curious…

·

“What was the deal with Malek, Jack?”

“He bugged me,” Jack said, as if the reason was self-evident. Possibly it was self-evident - at least to Jack. He hadn’t exactly been dragging Teal’c off Malek yesterday - although the circumstances had not been good - Bra’tac presumed dead, last seen by an in-shock Malek.

He really does not carry fondness for our kind, Selmak sighed.

After everything he’s experienced - at the hands of Goa’uld and Tok’ra alike - it’s no surprise, Selmak.

They were wandering around the camp, tidying up the last loose ends of the previous day. The Tok’ra supplies were piled up before the Stargate, ready to be transported out in a couple of hours and Malek was checking up on the remainder of the Tok’ra.

“Do you know if Malek put his…er…proposition to Sam?” The conversation with Selmak about Malek’s interest in Sam replayed in his head, giving the term ‘proposition’ an entirely new meaning. Jacob wasn’t so sure he liked the idea of Malek developing a crush on Sam; Malek had a reputation of having an eye for the women, even among the Tok’ra. His host had come from the same people as Freya had, the Miguardians, who had different ideas about sexual relationships.

“No idea,” said the other man as if he could care less. “She does have to go through the proper channels to request off-world leave…”

“Would you really stop her from visiting?”

“Jacob, do I look like I have a death wish?” Jack asked, a smirk touching his lips. “Nah. But depending on what was happening, at least one of us would probably come along to keep an eye on her.”

“I can look after my own daughter, you know, Jack…”

“As long as you and Selmak aren’t Tok’ra-ing off somewhere doing your undercover agent routine. Then that’s my job.”

They walked a few steps further along in comfortable silence, watching the Jaffa do their skill exercises. One or two of the SGC personnel had started learning the movements - probably piqued by the muscle-bound displays of Jaffa agility. Compared to the fluid motions of the Jaffa, the soldiers looked awkward, but were doggedly persisting.

Jacob spotted Rak’nor in the middle of the exercising warriors and wondered if the young man had put his proposal towards Sam.

“Jacob, about Carter...er...Sam...”

In a moment of wry humour and with parental consent on the brain, Jacob replied without waiting for the younger man to finish his sentence. “If you’re asking permission to marry her, Jack, the answer is no.”

Jack stopped. Jack blinked. Jack spluttered.

His mouth moved and after a moment, words emerged. They were even coherent ones. “Why not?”

Jacob stopped. Jacob blinked. Jacob got worried.

Seriously worried.

Technically, Jack should have asked something like ‘Where did that come from?’ Or ‘Marry Carter?’

Not ‘Why not?’

The question of ‘Why not?’ should only have presented itself after Jack had considered why he should marry Sam.

So, either Jack’s order of thinking was out or Jack was thinking out of order.

I think you’re being foolish about this, Jacob. Selmak gave his advice without hesitation. Without hesitation, Jacob ignored it.

“One. You’re her commanding officer. Two. She’s got a promising career - she doesn’t need it stalled by a charge of fraternisation. Three. She’s way too young for you.”

“Tell me something I don’t know.” The muttered words slipped out - evidently before the younger man could stop them.

Jacob gaped at what he’d just been told.

Jack’s teeth closed around his words with an audible click and he screwed his eyes shut as if waiting for the dire blow to fall. In a way, he wasn’t that far wrong. Jacob was contemplating a game of ‘Truth or Ribbon Device’ with his once-favourite, now-least-favourite Colonel.

Admirers from afar - no problem. A lover-boy on Earth - Jacob could deal with that. But this - this transgressed not only the trust Jacob put in Jack O’Neill, but the trust Sam put in her commanding officer. Hell, it broke the trust everyone put in SG-1 to get the job done, save the world, protect the galaxy…

Jack O’Neill had no right to entertain such thoughts about an officer under his command - especially when that officer was Jacob’s daughter! And once Jack began entertaining them, they should have been immediately reported to George. And George should have done something about it. Jacob trusted George to keep an avuncular eye on Sam in Jacob’s absence.

“Do you realise…” Only three words managed to get past Jacob’s lips before Selmak did something unexpected. He took control. Forcibly.

“Colonel O’Neill.”

“Uh...Selmak.” Jack O’Neill opened first one eye, then the other.

Fuming the back of his own head both at his symbiote and the man standing before him, a small part of Jacob - probably his sense of humour - observed how rare it was to see Colonel O’Neill looking like a kid caught kissing the girl next door by her dad. Which he had, in a peculiar kind of way.

The thought made Jacob - and Selmak - see red.

Luckily, Selmak had over two thousand years of experience at controlling his emotions. He was much more adept at keeping a clear head. “Jacob Carter is not pleased with you.”

“Uh, yeah. I kinda guessed that. Look, is there any chance I could...get you to hold him off until after we’re through the gate? And then...uh...next time you come visit, wait until I’m not around before letting Jacob take control?”

Selmak smiled - Jacob could feel his mouth stretching in a broad grin. “You think Jacob would consider killing you, O’Neill?”

“Isn’t he?”

Jacob abandoned his anger at Selmak’s high-handedness in favour of letting his symbiote know exactly what he was thinking. Maybe something creative involving a ribbon device and a pain stick…. He’s not just screwing around with my daughter - he’s screwing around with her future!

I doubt that the situation is as dire as you perceive it, Jacob. He is a man of great honour. How the hell could Selmak be so unruffled about this? Because Sam is not my daughter?

He’s also just a man. Jacob retorted, One who’s been working with my daughter almost every day for the last six years! Malek has known Sam for all of thirty-six hours and he was practically drooling over her...

The Tok’ra do not ‘drool’, Jacob...

Whatever. This is Sam’s future we’re talking about, Selmak!

Yes. It is her future. It is also her life, and her choices.

Jack was looking like he’d love nothing better than to order SG-1 back to the Stargate and take them through without further delay. Selmak shook his head and spoke out loud. “He is thinking of creative ways to utilise a ribbon device and a pain stick - or so he says.”

“Oh, that’s just peachy. Look, nothing has happened.” Jack had his hands up, trying to reassure the simultaneously irritated and amused Tok’ra. “I admire her. That’s all. Jacob knows about the...the two other realities we’ve encountered before. It...it gets you thinking. But I’d never... I swear... Not that she’s, you know, ugly or anything...”

He shut his eyes and grimaced as one hand ran over his face to massage his eyeballs. “Oh boy. Could this get any worse?” His shoulders sagged for a moment as he tried to find something to say to reassure Jacob – as if there was anything which would appease him at this exact moment! Except maybe Jack O’Neill’s head – or balls – on a platter. At least then, Jacob wouldn’t have to worry about his daughter becoming involved with her commanding officer.

Jacob, you are being melodramatic, Selmak warned him. You are ‘selling short’ both Colonel O’Neill and your daughter in thinking such thoughts.

I’m protecting Sam.

The symbiote was exasperated now – that was plainly evident from the twinges Selmak was causing in their body chemistry. Has it yet occurred to you that Samantha may not require your protection anymore, Jacob? Or that she may not want your kind of protection? She is an adult and has been one for many, many years. Her love life is not your concern.

Perhaps not. But her professional life certainly is!

“O’Neill.” Both men swiveled at the call from Teal’c, who, along with Bra’tac, had approached them while Jack was trying to think of a suitable way to placate Jacob. “Dr. Fraiser and Commander Malek wish to speak with you regarding the supplies the Tok’ra are taking with them to their new home.”

“Oh. Right.” Jack gave Jacob-Selmak a brief, nervous glance, evidently glad of the interruption. “Where are they?”

“I shall take you to them.”

“Right. Uh…Selmak…Jacob…I’ll…er…I’ll talk to you later.” And Jack and Teal’c headed off, with Teal’c looking over his shoulder at the mentally-hijacked Tok’ra who fumed inside his own head.

Master Bra’tac regarded the two departing men with an element of pride. “They are much alike are they not, Jacob Carter of the Tok’ra?” He regarded Jacob with sharp eyes, “Or perhaps I speak with Selmak of the Tok’ra?”

Selmak relinquished control to Jacob, guessing that Bra’tac would rather talk to the human than the symbiote. But you are not to go running off after Colonel O’Neill!

Yes, mom, Jacob responded sarcastically as he regained control of his body. “It’s Jacob, Bra’tac.”

The elderly Jaffa flashed him a brief smile, “With the Tok’ra it can be difficult to tell who controls the body at any one moment.”

“It’s an occupational hazard,” Jacob replied dryly.

“Indeed,” Bra’tac indicated a pathway that led around the edge of the Alpha Site. “You and O’Neill seemed…agitated in conversation.”

Jacob pondered how much to tell Bra’tac, then decided he could use a different outlook on the situation.

You have my outlook, Selmak remarked, feigning hurt.

Yes, and I can hardly escape it, can I?

Meaning you cannot ignore it. The smirk was clear in Selmak’s voice and in their shared thoughts.

“SG-1 is a close team.”

“They have always been close,” Bra’tac observed. “Even when I first met them, they were close. To come, one and all, to Chulak to seek Teal’c’s son…” He shook his head. “Foolishness and folly - and yet, even then, loyalty.”

“I guess mostly I’m worried that their closeness might lead to…other things.”

“You fear for your daughter’s virtue, Jacob?” Bra’tac gave a single bark of laughter. “Your daughter is a mighty warrior - for all she appears fragile as the new frost. She commands the respect of Teal’c and O’Neill - and they do not trust lightly.”

“It’s not their respect of Sam which concerns me,” Jacob bit out.

“Ah. Then you refer to the degree of her friendship with O’Neill.”

That stopped Jacob completely. “You knew?” Who else knew? Was this some kind of cosmic joke with the finger pointed directly at him?

Bra’tac turned. “You did not.” It was not a question. “Let me ask you, Jacob Carter of the Tok’ra. You are one who has learned the measure of men in your time as a commander. Look upon O’Neill as a commander looks upon those he commands. What do you see?”

“I see a man who’s letting his emotions get in the way of his better judgement.”

“And what proof do you present, Jacob of the Tok’ra? What do you see in O’Neill’s demeanour, in his actions, in his commands that show his emotions getting the better of him?”

Jacob had no proof. None that would stand up to close scrutiny.

Colonel O’Neill is close to all his team, Jacob, Selmak reminded him inexorably. Even if you don’t trust him to keep himself in line, do you trust Teal’c not to observe the relationship between his team-mates and say nothing were O’Neill to endanger them all? Or Daniel Jackson while he worked with the Colonel and Samantha? Do you think he would have remained silent were the relationship between his friends dangerous to the team as a whole? And what you know of Jonas shows that he is no more likely to turn a blind eye to something that endangers SG-1 than Teal’c or Daniel Jackson.

“There’s a reason for the rules,” Jacob said, ignoring Selmak.

“They protect those who would let their emotions rule them,” Bra’tac responded. “Neither O’Neill nor Major Carter are that kind. They have worked together for many years and yet this is the first hint you have had regarding their relationship. Does that not speak of their restraint?”

“It speaks of the fact that I haven’t been around often enough to keep an eye on them.”

In his head, Selmak snorted.

“Hah,” scorned the Jaffa Master, unconsciously echoing the symbiote. “Jacob, you are wise in many respects and I hold great esteem for you. But your judgement is skewed in this judgement. O’Neill and your daughter have sacrificed much in this war - lost much of what is dear to them. Dr. Jackson is merely one such casualty of the war and one which has made them reassess what is most important to them.” Bra’tac’s piercing gaze looked deep into Jacob’s eyes. “I understand that your wife died when Samantha was still young.”

“Yes.” And there were days and moments when Jacob missed her more than he should after seventeen years.

“If you had known the date of her death, would you not have done everything in your power to let her know she was loved?”

Jacob’s throat closed up and he looked away. If he’d known that day would be her last, he would have stayed in bed a little longer that morning, hugged her a little closer as he left for the base, kissed her a little deeper as he saw her off at the mall.

“We are not given forever, Jacob. You and I know this too well. If O’Neill and your daughter are more to each other than your rules say they should be, can you begrudge them what comfort they find in each others’ company?” A dry smile touched Bra’tac’s lips. “I have heard it said that life is too short to leave it full of regret. And the life of a Tau’ri is shorter than either Jaffa or Tok’ra.” One hand, fine-lined with veins touched Jacob on the shoulder. “If you do not approve of them, at least do not inhibit them should they choose to make more of what they have.”

Selmak, wise as he was, knew enough to remain silent in his host’s mind.

And Jacob, old as he was, knew that Bra’tac was right.

Even if he didn’t like the situation one bit.

Selmak - and, thus, also Jacob - had known Auchar for over a thousand years. In the space of a day, Auchar had escaped one death only to have another befall him.

SG-1’s line of work was dangerous, too - the body count for the SGC was a clear indication of that fact.

Jacob had always half-known that when he turned back to look at his daughter before the wormhole swallowed him, he could never be sure he would see her again.

He would never approve of a relationship between his daughter and Jack O’Neill as long as they were in the same chain of command. But he wouldn’t make waves regarding their status as co-workers and friends. It would only make their lives more difficult.

And maybe Bra’tac saw the decision in the Tok’ra’s eyes, for he nodded and continued walking, asking questions of Jacob regarding the state of the Goa’uld hierarchy. His many years of service to the Goa’uld provided a valuable insight into the politics played among the System Lords - an insight which the Tok’ra only possessed in fragments due to the deaths of so many of their number.

Later, when the Tok’ra were lined up at the Stargate, prepared to step out to find their new home planet, Jacob said goodbye to his daughter. “Be good, huh, kid?” The farewell was an old habit between them, a remnant left over from after her mother’s death.

“You too, Dad.” She kissed him on the cheek, smooth lips brushing by the rougher texture of his skin. “Take care of him, Selmak.”

She may be assured I will, Selmak said, more affectionate of her host now that he had accepted the possibility between Sam and Colonel O’Neill.

Which brought him to Jack.

The Colonel looked faintly worried as Jacob stepped up to him. He glanced over at Sam who was watching the two men with amusement in her eyes. “Relax, Jack,” he said with mild amusement. “You have nothing to worry about.”

“Oh?” Jack glanced sideways at Sam whose attention had been taken by Malek. “I was under the impression I had a lot to worry about.”

“Well, you do…if anything happens to her.”

“I swear to God…”

“Can it, Jack,” Jacob told him, softly. “I won’t rock the boat. But you will take very, very, very good care of my daughter, won’t you?” It wasn’t so much a question as a threat.

“As if…” Jack paused, rethinking what he’d been about to say. “Yeah. I will.”

“Good.” Jacob patted him benignly on the shoulder. “I’ll see you next time I drop in to Earth.”

And with another smile at Sam, he climbed the stairs to the rippling event horizon of the Stargate, Malek by his side.

“You seem happy,” he said, noting the smile that hovered around the younger man’s lips.

“Major Carter expressed an interest in visiting our base to study our technology. She will ask her commanders for permission.” Malek looked faintly self-satisfied, “It is well that we should attempt to form stronger ties with our allies.”

The surface glopped and he was gone.

Selmak laughed as Jacob paused at the top of the steps. The eternal attraction of Eve and Egeria, he said. Your daughter is of both, without any doubt, Jacob.

Without a doubt, Selmak. And while he had his concerns - personal and professional - regarding Sam and the man she worked with, he would keep them silent for now.

Jacob turned back towards the gathering of people at the site, waved once, meeting her eyes with a smile, and stepped through the Stargate again.



End Notes: Feed me! Oh, Feed me! SelDear