samandjack.net

Story Notes: Archive: SJD Yes

Spoilers: None

Sequel to: Yes!

Author's notes: well, lots of you asked for this sequel…. Full appreciation is only likely to come if you buy the DVD or watch the film on TCM. Or like me, remember every song. Old softy!

Copyright © 2003 Ted Sadler


"It's a DVD movie, Dad." explained Sam. "Like a video player, so just press `Play' and enjoy. I know it was one of your favourites when Mark and I were kids. I'll be a while getting lunch, so put your feet up."

"Thanks, kid." replied Jacob Carter, easing back into the sofa and crossing his shoeless feet on the coffee table. "You wouldn't believe how damned boring Tok'ra music is – when they can be bothered to drone it out, that is." He pointed the remote at Sam's new wide-screen TV and the credits of his favourite musical rolled. He picked up the sleeve and read the almost forgotten cast list.

`High Society, starring Bing Crosby, Frank Sinatra, Grace Kelly and Louis Armstrong.' he mouthed silently. As the story unfolded and the songs began, he found himself singing quietly along. Glancing in the mirror above the fireplace from time to time, he smiled as he saw his daughter moving about in the kitchen, really going to town (for her) on preparing lunch. It had been so nice of her to really insist that he spend a weekend with her, especially after his long absences and seeming remoteness of the last few years. He looked round and smiled as she offered him a glass of beer from behind the sofa. She returned to the kitchen and busied herself with the meal preparation again. He could smell the long-forgotten taste of home cooking and relaxed more.

Suddenly, he became aware that Bing was singing the words that had probably subconsciously influenced his choice of name for her, helping to make his daughter the person she was.

"Remember, Samantha, I'm a one gal guy….."

He glanced into the mirror again and saw to his surprise that Sam had stopped moving, and was standing by the sink, holding the edge with both hands, and swaying gently to the music, her eyes closed and a dreamy expression on her face. He leaned back and smiled, knowing that this had to be one of his best moments for many years.

Not long afterwards, he realised with some surprise that she was singing along to Bing and Grace Kelly's duet.

"I give to you and you give to me
True love, true love.
So on and on, it will always be
Love forever true."

He picked up the sleeve again, with suspicions beginning to form about her motives for the invitation to spend the weekend together. He opened the cover and saw the inscription written inside: "To my dearest Sam. This is our special movie. All my love, XCO." So, she was perhaps going to announce something?

As they sat together at the table eating lunch, he could wait no longer. "Sammie, the meal, and just seeing you, is great, but is there something you want to tell me? And not about the SGC?"

Sam looked at him and smiled nervously. She knew that he knew that she was taking some kind of big step, so she plunged straight in.

"I'm getting married. Soon. For all the right reasons."

Although he was half expecting it to be like this, the shock nevertheless silenced Jacob for several moments.

"To the man with the mysterious initials?" he asked. "I saw the message in the film disc cover. When do I get to meet him? And how come he's not asking my permission?"

"Well, that would be awkward, seeing that I proposed to him. Kind of." said Sam. "And don't start going on about him lacking the guts to ask. He has so much respect for me, as well as love. It was me that couldn't wait."

"Is Jack O'Neill OK with this?" asked Jacob, to her total surprise. "Anise told me about you two in the past."

"Yes, Jack is OK with it." said Sam, thinking quickly. "After the initial shock, he was totally supportive."

And after the longest lunch on record, Sam had managed to limit her story to vague details, with the promise that Jacob would meet this mystery man "real soon." He eventually worked out that his daughter was well in control of this situation and he would learn nothing more except on her terms. `Stronger than her mother.' was his final thought before retiring for the night.

XXXXXXXXXXXX

As acting commander of SG-1, Sam was to lead the team to the Alpha Site, with Jacob accompanying them on the first step of his journey back. He sat with his daughter, Teal'c and the recently re-embodied Daniel Jackson through the mission briefing. A knock on the door as they were drawing to a close terminated proceedings in a major way, as a smiling Jack O'Neill entered on crutches. Even General Hammond was pleased to see him up and about again.

Jacob noticed the way that Sam and Jack seemed totally relaxed with each other, and how he never once tried to treat her as his subordinate or protegee for this mission. Jack hobbled down to the gate room with his team to see them off. Unfortunately they were kept waiting some time for the wormhole to be established, and broke into small groups, chatting to each other until the dialling sequence could be started. Jack was exchanging pleasantries and bad jokes about broken equipment with the SG team members and some of the guards.

Just as the chevrons began to light, he heard two people burst into song, and was surprised to see that his daughter and the Colonel were starting a duet.

"Have you heard? It's in the stars
Next July we collide with Mars!
Well, did you ever?
What a swell party this is!"

SG-1 assembled on the ramp and with Jacob in tow, started walking towards the blue ripples. Suddenly, he stopped and turned around with a look like thunder across his face.

"You!" he shouted at the man on crutches. "You're `XCO'! Sam! What do….."

But he didn't get to finish the sentence on Earth, as she pulled him backwards through the Stargate, with Selmak laughing fit to bust inside his head.

XXXXXXXXXXXX