samandjack.net

Story Notes: E-mail: x-philes@worldnet.att.net

Spoilers: Crystal Skull

Season: Three

Archive: Yes, S/J and Helopolious


Jack groused to himself as he realized that he was once again alone in the infirmary. Teal'c had left shortly after throwing him back on the bed, and Janet was too sick of him whinning to want to keep him company. The only good thing was that in her hurry to leave his company she had left the curtain open between his and Sam's bed.

"Sam," he hissed again, he had been calling her name every time he got the chance since he'd first woke up. He was worried, and the longer she stayed asleep the more he worried. This simple mission had turned to disaster. Daniel missing, and Sam out cold. He knew that Teal'c and the rest of the base where searching for Daniel, and deep down he knew that he was nearby, and all right. He couldn't explain it, but somehow he just knew that Daniel was okay. Sam was another matter, he didn't care how much Janet reassured him, he wasn't going to feel better until she woke up.

"Sam," he tried again, but he still wasn't having any luck.



*************************



Jack was never aware of falling asleep, but he must have, he reasoned upon waking. He realized that he was beginning to feel better, and he sat up slowly, looking over at Sam. She was still sleeping, but was now covered with a blanket, shivers wraking her frame. She was still pale, and Janet sat by her bedside.

"How is she Doc," he asked, no longer using his petulant and whinny tone with her.

"She'll recover, but she's going to need rest."

"Has she woken up at all?"

"Yes, once. She settled down once she realized you where asleep too. She started out demanding to help look for Daniel."

"Oh. I know she's gonna feel lousey, but you won't be able to keep her in bed long. She's gonna want to help, and truth is, we need her."

"I know that Colonel," she snapped. "I know what's at risk. We all love Daniel, but I have to look out for the patients in my care."

"I know Doc," and he did. He was ready to get moving now, but he still needed to see her awake, and he knew that as soon as he did, she would be on her feet, no matter her condition.

"You can stop talking about me now, I'm awake," Sam said softly, her voice still weak.

"How do you feel Carter," O'Neill asked, covering his relief with his gruff use of her last name.

"Cold, err hot, uhh, I'm not sure."

"Your hypothalamus hasn't recovered yet, your going to feel that way for awhile. You need to rest Sam, your not going to just bounce up from this one," Janet explained.

"I'm bounced enough," Sam replied stubbornly. "I'm ready when you are Colonel.

"Sam, it isn't that simple. I haven't released you," Janet objected.

"We'll then, you'll have to go with me, because I'm not staying here. He's up, I'm up, we're going to find Daniel."

Janet left the room with a sigh upon catching the Colonel's signal. She didn't really expect him to be of much help, but it was worth a shot.

"Sam, I know how you feel, but I don't think your ready for this. Maybe you should listen to Janet."

"Sir, I can't just lay here. I've got to help. I promise I'll rest later."

"Sam, I ---Oh Hell. Your going to do what you want no matter what I say, aren't you."

"Pretty much sir."

"Oh alright, but one condition: No all nighters, you have to sleep tonight."

"I will sir, I promise."

"Oh I know you will, cause I'll come tuck you in if I have to, and believe me, I've never had trouble keeping a woman in bed," he threw over his shoulder as he left to get dressed.

"Oh I just bet you don't sir," she whispered to his departing back, a part of her knowing she wouldn't mind learning more about his tucking in techniques. There would be time for that later she hoped, but for now they must find Daniel.



-----------------------------------------------------------------------

The End. I hope you had as much fun reading as I did writing. Feedback welcome.

"Is that a money-back if your not completely alive guarantee?"- Jack "pretense"