samandjack.net

Story Notes: Sequel to Never Alone: Just Visiting

This Thanksgiving based story is a wee bit early - so, sue me! This week's (actually last week's now!) fic challenge on the As The Stargate Turns Yahoo Group was to write a fic to include the sentence "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake" and/or the word 'buttercup' and this story contains both. Once again, this story has not been beta read so I hope I haven't made too many silly errors.

Archive SJD, yes

Copyright © 2005 Su Freund

Email: su_freund@ficwithfins.com

Website: http://www.ficwithfins.com/


Family


It was like being home. As he wandered the corridors, Jack nodded at various people with a big grin on his face. To be polite he had dropped in on Hank Landry first for a short chat, but he wasn't there on business. He was there to pick up Sam and it was a surprise.

She was expecting him, sure, but not now and not there. Just as she had done last time she'd arrived in Washington, Jack was early, a whole day early, and they would be together for well over a week. That was a thrilling and exhilarating prospect.

Before driving to Cheyenne Mountain, Jack had been home to drop off his bags and get the place seeming like it might actually be lived in. This weekend would be spent at his house and he and Sam would host their Thanksgiving dinner there. After that they would be flying to Chicago for the start of their vacation. He was excited about that but also nervous because he knew this was when Sam would find out more about his life, background, and upbringing.

There were some things about his childhood that Jack would rather forget even though they could haunt his dreams. However, Sam had to know some of these things, of that he was certain. She had to know where he came from and what his life had been like.

He paused at her doorway, looking at her lovingly and recalling the number of times he had stood there and simply watched her, back in the days when anything more than being team mates was strictly forbidden. Counting his blessings that those days were now well and truly over he smiled, watching in silence.

Sam was engrossed in typing something on her laptop and he always had adored that look of concentration on her face. She was so beautiful, even in BDUs; she always had been. Before he made a move to say anything she looked up, her eyes widening with a surprised and happy smile.

"Jack! You're here!"

He entered the room and they met halfway, Jack taking her into his arms for a long hug. It always felt so good to hold her. He loved that more than anything else, even sex.

"Surprise!" he grinned.

"A wonderful surprise. A whole day early?" she queried.

"Anything you can do."

After a while she broke away from the hug reluctantly.

"Jack, I need to finish off a couple of things otherwise I will never relax while we're on vacation. Vacation! How great is that?" she grinned and kissed him briefly, mindless of the surveillance cameras. Who the heck cared anymore?

"Will you be long?"

"Um, I'll try to hurry."

"Daniel and Teal'c around?"

"Teal'c's visiting Ry'ac for a couple of days but will be coming back for Thanksgiving. Daniel? As far as I know he's in his office."

"I'll drop by for a chat and drive him nuts for a while, leave you to it."

"Okay. I'll call when I'm ready."

When he arrived at Daniel's office, the archaeologist was peering intently at an artifact, obviously trying to discern some meaning from it.

"Aren't you gonna put down the rock, Danny Boy, and say hello?" Jack said jovially, knowing that Daniel got irked when he called artefacts rocks, and at being called Danny Boy.

"Gee, some things never change," Daniel replied but he was smiling broadly to welcome his friend, " Didn't think you were due until tomorrow. Good to see you Jack. How's it going?"

"Thought I'd surprise Sam but she's busy so how could I resist coming to annoy you while I've got some time on my hands? I'm fine, Daniel, everything's great."

He picked up the artefact that Daniel had put down and fiddled with it, not looking too closely.

"Careful with that!"

"Alright already!"

Jack put it down again, picking up something else, and Daniel rolled his eyes. His friend would never change but Daniel was very fond of him, despite his infuriating habit of playing with delicate artifacts or whatever else he could lay his hands on, almost literally. That was merely one of Jack's more annoying traits.

"Can't you sit down a relax and minute?"

"I'll sit but as for the relaxing." Jack shrugged and grinned.

"How are you and Sam?"

"You tell me. She ever talk to you about me?"

"She might mention you from time to time but, if she did, do you think I would tell you?"

"Come on Daniel, let me in on her secrets," Jack teased knowing he wouldn't.

"No way! Looking forward to your vacation?"

"Yeahsureyabetchya!"

"She says you're going to Chicago first, Jack."

"Yep."

"Any particular reason?"

"Home of my birth, haven't been for a while."

"I'm guessing there's more to it than that, but you probably won't tell me."

"10 out of 10, Daniel. Right on both counts."

"So this is one of the things you feel you have to do before you ask her?"

Jack regarded him with slight annoyance. He hated it sometimes when Daniel was being astute. It could be so damned annoying.

"So how are things going with you, Daniel?" he asked pointedly and Daniel sighed. Jack could play his cards so close to his chest that it was frustrating.

"Good, I guess, considering all the turmoil that's going on out there," he gestured to indicate that 'out there' meant out in the universe, not outside of his office.

"Things can still get pretty hairy," Jack commented.

"Do you still miss it Jack?"

"Yeah, of course I do. Riding a desk was never my favourite pastime, you know that, but I do what I must. Maybe it's a good thing. Less risk of death, unless it's of boredom. More likely to live to see Sam again." He smiled.

"You really do love her, don't you?"

"You need to ask?"

"Not really. She's happy, Jack, and it's great to see that."

"Thought you weren't going to tell me."

"I'm speaking from observation only, not from anything she's said. I think I can do that much."

Jack grinned happily.

"I'm glad I make her happy, Daniel. It was never a given."

"You really think not?"

"How ironic would it have been if we turned out not to like each other much when all was said and done, huh?"

"Personally, I never thought that would happen."

"It must be good to have faith."

"You haven't?"

"I have now."

Daniel smiled inside at the dreamy expression that appeared on Jack's face. Jack's cockiness hid a man who was full of self-doubt and Daniel knew that, although it had taken him a while to realise it.

"You're happy too, aren't you?" Daniel queried.

"With Sam? Ecstatically, Daniel. Never truly thought it would ever happen but it did, and beyond my wildest dreams."

"Really? I'm guessing that some of those dreams were pretty wild," Daniel responded with a cheeky grin.

"Yeah, well." Jack looked a little embarrassed and then broke out into a smile, "Nowhere near as good as the real thing, Daniel, believe me," he sighed slightly wistfully. "So how are things going with you, Daniel?" The archaeologist knew this signaled that the subject of Sam was now closed so didn't push it.

It wasn't long before Sam called to say she'd finished and Jack left Daniel's office to pick her up. Once they were topside he gave her a much bigger hug than his earlier one, and kissed her passionately.

"Didn't feel right doin' that in there," he said.

"I know what you mean."

"I came early so I could have you to myself for a while. I know we're on vacation soon but the next few days are probably gonna be hectic and we won't get any chance to be alone. I take it Cassie is still coming?"

"Yes. I said I'd pick her up at the airport."

"Does she know about us, Sam?"

"Not yet."

"Right. I hope she's okay with it."

Sam couldn't believe that Jack was oblivious to Cassie's feelings on this subject but, once she pondered it, the notion of his ignorance became increasingly likely.

"She'll be thrilled."

"Ya think?"

"I know she will. You and I are a little fantasy of hers."

"We are?" Jack was stunned, "how the heck did I miss that?"

"Probably because you wanted to pretend it didn't exist."

"Yeah, you could be right. I'm a master of that."

"She might get a little over excited, Jack. Just thought I'd warn you. That's why I haven't told her yet."

"Are you happy to tell her now? We can reorganise stuff if you."

"No! I want us both to stay with you over the weekend. Just remember she's only a teenager."

When they saw her walking towards them at the airport next day Jack whispered to Sam.

"I thought you said to remember she's a teenager. That apparition there is a young woman. Wow, Sam, she looks great!"

"Uncle Jack? I wasn't expecting to see you!" Cassie screeched delightedly, hugging him, and Sam mouthed 'told you so'.

"Surprise. You're staying with me over the weekend."

"I am? What about Sam?"

"She's staying with me too."

"What?" Cassie was shocked, looking from one to the other in confusion.

"Let's get to the car," Jack said, linking arms with her and pulling her away.

"What's going on?"

"Will you scream down the airport if I tell you Sam and I are dating?"

Cassie stopped in her tracks and once again looked from one to the other.

"Dating? Are you two trying to wind me up?"

"No," Sam answered, "It's been a few months."

"What? Oh my god, that's great!" Cassie leaped up and down with excitement, "oh, my god!"

She gave Jack another huge hug and then Sam, whispering in her ear.

"You go girl." Sam laughed and Cassie added aloud, "Wow, I can't believe it. That's so cool!"

Later, back at Jack's when she walked into the living room after unpacking, she caught them smooching. Cassie couldn't have been happier as she watched her two favourite people canoodling when they thought no one was looking. They looked so great together, and so in love.

She'd waited for this to happen for years and almost gave up hope. When Sam got engaged to Pete Shannahan Cassie had been stunned. As far as she was concerned it was Jack and Sam or nothing. Sam had been quite defensive about Pete, avoiding the subject of Jack altogether and, although Cassie tried to tell her it was a mistake, it seemed she wasn't listening.

Now, watching the couple looking so happy and in love warmed her heart. She couldn't have asked for a better Thanksgiving, unless it was Jack announcing their engagement or walking Sam down the aisle. Cassie suspected that both of these things were a possibility in the future and that pleased her.

During Sam's "getting married to Pete" phase she had cursed that her mom wasn't alive to tell Sam what was what. Cassie was convinced that she would have, and in no uncertain terms, regulations or no regulations. Now the regulations no longer stood in their way. No Pete and no regs.

The real problem, as Cassie saw it, was that Sam lived in Colorado Springs and Jack lived in D.C. Still, love conquers all, or at least that is what Cassie wanted to believe, albeit naively. Jack and Sam were such a cute couple. Cassie coughed to alert them to her presence.

"Hey, Cassie," they both greeted her with a smile.

"You have no idea how good it is to see you guys. well, you know," Cassie said.

"C'mere and give us a hug, Cass," Jack invited her to join them, so she did.

"I'm glad you're pleased, Cassie," Sam said.

"Pleased? That's an understatement. You should have done this years ago," Cassie complained bluntly.

"We couldn't, but now we can, so there you go," Jack said confusingly, kissing Cassie on top of her head.

"You guys are the best. This is going to be such a great Thanksgiving."

"Don't be so sure. Sam's cooking," Jack joked and winked at Cassie. Sam slapped him playfully on the arm and then kissed him briefly on the lips.

"And you're helping, remember, Mr Sc.?" She stopped short at calling him that nickname in front of Cassie. Somehow she considered it was something intimate between them. Jack squeezed her gently in acknowledgement of that as if he totally agreed.

"Oy!" He said exaggeratedly, "That means I get the blame for any burned or undercooked bits," he added in an aside to Cassie, who laughed. "You women are sneaky that way."

"You are so wicked, Uncle Jack."

"Yes, I am, and proud of it," he grinned.

"I can help as well if you like," Cassie offered.

"We'll all do something, okay?" Sam agreed.

"Yeah, cool!" Cassie exclaimed with delight.

Cassie was thrilled when Jack later went off to do some chores, leaving her alone with Sam.

"So why didn't you tell me about you and Jack?" she asked excitedly, "What have you been waiting for?"

"Cassie, do you really expect me to call you whenever I get a new man in my life?"

"New man? This is Jack we're talking about. Doh!"

"I wanted to. I wanted. dammit, I just wanted to be sure everything was going alright before I got you all excited about it. I know you always wanted this, Cassie. You made that pretty obvious sometimes."

"You wanted it too! Oh no, don't look at me like that. Don't even bother to deny it."

"Okay, you got me on that one," Sam grinned.

"Are you very much in love?" Cassie smiled dreamily.

"Yes."

"Oh, that's sooo exciting!" the younger woman shrieked.

"Keep your voice down. This is girly talk. We don't want Jack to hear," Sam whispered conspiratorially.

"Alright," Cassie whispered back, putting a finger to her mouth, indicating silence. "So hasn't he asked you to marry him yet?"

"Cassie! No, he hasn't."

"He hasn't?" Cassie looked disappointed, "He will, won't he?"

"You'd have to ask him that."

"Okay, I will."

"Don't you dare, Cassandra Frasier," Sam said with a look of horror on her face.

"Why not?"

"He might think I asked you to. Please don't Cass," she pleaded, "promise?"

"Yes, I promise. He knows you love him, right, so what difference does it make?"

"Well, of course he knows. it just isn't right to ask him that kind of thing. I don't want him to feel pressurised into it in any way."

"But you'd say yes if he asked, right?"

"Too right I would. He'll ask."

"You really think?"

"Yes I do. Maybe not for a while yet, but he will."

"What's taking him so long?"

"It's not that long, Cassie."

"All those years and it's not that long?"

"All those years don't count. This is different. One day you'll get it, I promise you will. Talking of which, how are things on the boyfriend front?"

"Great way to change the subject."

"Well?"

"Oh, Sam, I met the most adorable guy. You'd love him. He's just sooo dreamy, and with brains too, but not geeky." Cassie prattled on excitedly and Sam listened. It seemed that she wasn't the only one who was in love.

Later, Cassie got her chance to be alone with Jack but, before she could open her mouth to chatter on about Sam, Jack took her in another direction.

"So who is this new guy Sam tells me you met?" he asked.

"You aren't going to give me a third degree type father impersonation are you?" she queried.

"When have I ever done that? Anyway, what's wrong with taking an interest in the boys in my gal's life?" He smiled impishly and Cassie looked coy.

"He's not really my new guy, but I hope he's gonna be soon."

"Oh?"

"There's this other girl at college who seems to think that she owns him."

"She's his girlfriend?"

"She wishes. Buttercup hates me because she knows he likes me, although she pretends to like me for the same reasons."

"Buttercup? That's a name?" Jack looked aghast and Cassie tittered at his facial expression.

"Pretty icky, isn't it? I think her mom and dad are in the music business or something like that. I guess they thought it was cool."

"Buttercup? There is no way on earth that could be cool."

"You're so right! She's very pretty, though, with designer clothes and all that, but I'm the one with the brains."

"You've got those alright. Does this guy like brains?"

"Put it this way, I don't really think he's into airheads."

"So as you've got both beauty and brains you think you have a shot with this guy, whatever his name is?" Jack grinned.

"His name's Chris. You think I'm attractive Uncle Jack?"

"I just told ya, you're beautiful, Cass."

She blushed bright red and Jack suppressed a chuckle.

"You should see his face when she says something stupid. She thinks she's being smart but you can see he thinks she's dumb. So she looks at me in this way that says like 'see, he thinks I'm the cute one' but I don't think he's thinking that at all."

"Uh, huh?"

"It was like the other day she was raving on about alternative medicines trying to pretend she knew what she was talking about, because Chris is into that kind of thing, but she kept saying homopathic instead of homeopathic and she kept repeating homopathic this and homopathic that over and over, which made her sound really stupid, and I wanted to say to her 'Buttercup, for Christ's sake you've got the word wrong, you mean homeopathic but the longer she went on about it the more pissed with her Chris was getting and I remembered that old Jack O'Neill thing."

"Jack O'Neill thing?" he asked, his eyebrow arched curiously.

"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."

"Oh? Rule number 3 in the Jack O'Neill Handbook?" he laughed, wondering when he'd said that to her and amused that she'd taken it to heart.

"Well, she was just digging herself in deeper and deeper and making herself look more and more foolish, so couldn't hurt me, huh? Just made me look better."

"Cunning," Jack commented with a wry smile.

"I took lessons from a master of cunning." Cassie looked at him with great fondness and Jack felt a little pleased with himself.

"It's a good rule," he said.

"So what's Rule number 1?"

"Jack O'Neill is always right," he said with a straight face.

"Perhaps I shouldn't take quite so much notice of you," she teased.

"That might be a wise precaution," he grinned.

"Anyway, I'm hopeful about Chris when I get back."

"Tell him he'll answer to me if he." Jack saw the horrified expression on her face so, to pre-empt her retort, he added, "forget it."

"You can't really be interested in all this girl stuff anyway."

"Yes I am, but if you don't want to talk to me about it that's cool. Glad to hear you're finding my pearls of wisdom useful though," he laughed.

"Are you making fun of me?"

"Not a chance! I'm sincerely flattered." He leaned over with a smile on his face and kissed the top of her head

"So, can we talk about you and Sam now?"

"Um, no."

"Oh Uncle Jack, don't be spoilsport. I'm so excited about you two."

"Let you into a little secret? So am I," he confessed and Cassie grinned.

Although she recalled the promise she'd made to Sam, Cassie could not stop herself from asking Jack one of the questions that was uppermost on her mind.

"So are you and Sam gonna get married?" She noticed Jack's cheeks take on a pinkish hue.

"Um, what would you think if we did?" he countered.

"It would be fantastic! And I could be a bridesmaid," she answered enthusiastically. "So are you?"

"Isn't that a matter for Sam and I to discuss?"

"Gee, you haven't waited for long enough?"

"Oy!" Jack hit the flat of his hand against his forehead Homer Simpson style and Cassie laughed, but she realised that she would get nothing further out of Jack about Sam so changed the subject.

*****************************

Sam gave the place a final once over and decided it met with her approval. It looked very Thanksgiving and she wanted it to be traditional. The house was strewn with autumnal decorations with stars and stripes banners around the rooms. The large dining table was covered with a plain cloth, but with a decorative Thanksgiving centrepiece and stars and stripes napkins, which Jack had bought at the last minute.

The food seemed to be going well and so far Sam didn't think they'd screwed anything up, assuming it ran as planned. The smell of turkey and sweet potatoes permeated the house and it smelled delicious, which was something. She hoped it tasted that way and if the turkey wasn't cooked through, or was too dry, Sam thought she would find a hole to hide in.

Cassie insisted on making cranberry sauce instead of getting it out of a jar, and also prepared the pumpkin pie. It seemed Janet had taught her well. Sam had always envied Janet's ease in the kitchen, something that she lacked. Nothing ever seemed any effort to Janet and this had rubbed off on her daughter. Sam wished it had rubbed off on her too because she was still anxious that she might do something wrong, but Cassie's presence in the kitchen had been reassuring.

Jack, meanwhile, prepared all the vegetables and almost single-handedly put up the decorations and set the table ready for their guests, who now started to arrive. Teal'c was first, followed quickly by Daniel. Cassie was effusive with them both, enthusiastically twittering on about Jack and Sam and what a wonderful couple they were. She was fairly overwhelming and Jack whispered to Sam something about how right she was about teenagers.

Their final guest arrived a little later. General George Hammond, retired, hugged Sam and shook hands with everyone else until Cassie made him feel like one of the family with a gigantic hug. When Jack had called him to say hello and discovered that George would spend Thanksgiving alone this year he had been insistent that he come.

George Hammond was grateful. This year his family were staying with the in-laws. He'd been invited but didn't feel in the mood for that; he never had liked them much and the feeling was mutual. Now he was very glad he had declined because he could spend the day with people who were almost as much family as his real one.

The food might not have been perfect, but was actually very good. Everyone over stuffed themselves, as is the general inclination at these celebratory meals. After his last experience with Sam and Jack, Daniel was abstemious with the alcohol, determined not to get drunk and make himself look like a jerk again. Everyone else except Teal'c, however, got mildly merry.

After dinner, Jack suggested some games to play so they didn't all nod off, as could be likely, and he behaved like an overgrown school kid, making everyone laugh and join in the fun. When they all settled down again he disappeared and Sam went looking. As she walked past the bedroom a long arm shot out and pulled her in, pinning her against the door with a kiss.

"Just a couple of minutes alone, Sam, that's all I ask," Jack said with a smile.

"Anytime, gorgeous. Give me a cuddle."

"Ummm. that's a great idea. I'll be pleased when this chaos is over and we get on the plane."

"Looking forward to Chicago?" she asked.

"Looking forward to being alone with you. Not so sure about Chicago."

"Jack, if you've changed your mind we can cancel and go straight to Minnesota."

"No. You've never been to Chicago and we'll have some fun. It's your kind of town."

"Cue for a song?" she grinned and he chuckled.

Sam could sense Jack's unease about Chicago but, if he still wanted to do whatever it was he had planned, she was the last person to try to persuade him otherwise. Ever since he'd mentioned going Sam had felt on the verge of something significant and it excited her, so she was looking forward to it.

"I could really do with making love to you right now," Jack declared.

"That would be great but I think we ought to get back to our guests, don't you?" she grinned, "Later, I promise."

"I'll take you up on that," he responded, waggling his eyebrows and grinning profusely.

They left to re-join the others and bumped into George Hammond in the hallway.

"Oh, Jack, just the man I was looking for. I was hoping we could have a quiet word," George said.

"Sure, George."

"I'll go play hostess and leave you two to talk," Sam said, disappearing.

"Umm, yes?" Jack asked George curiously.

"Somewhere more private than the hall?"

"Sure, this way." He led Hammond to his den.

"What is it George?" he asked when they sat down.

"Umm. well it's like this. Jack, since Jacob died I guess I've thought of myself as a father figure to Sam. It's up to me to play a fatherly role on her behalf because no one else can," George said and Jack guessed something of what might be coming.

"Is this about us? Me and Sam?"

"Yes, it is."

"I have nothing but good intentions, I promise. Scouts honour."

"You were never a boy scout, Jack," Hammond said with a grin.

"No I wasn't," Jack laughed. "But I think things between Sam and I have advanced beyond the fatherly advice stage."

"If you think I had in mind trying to lecture Jack O'Neill about the birds and the bees then you are wrong, son, because I doubt very much I could teach you a thing," Hammond smiled and Jack remained silent, merely looking at the old General with a curious gaze.

"I just wanted to say how happy I am that you two seem to be making a go of it at last," George continued, "and I think Jacob would have been happy too."

"In other words you're giving us your fatherly blessing?"

"I know you don't need it, but something like that, yes."

"Might not need it, George, but that doesn't mean it isn't appreciated. I'm grateful, really I am."

Jack smiled very genuinely at his ex-CO, speaking what was in his heart. He respected George Hammond more than most people he knew so what he'd said meant a great deal.

"You planning on making an honest woman of her Jack?" Hammond asked.

"People keep asking me that. I love her George, if that's what you're asking, and yes I do, if she'll have me."

"I never doubted you loved her, son. Think I didn't know that while I was your CO?" Jack looked surprised, "I respect you for waiting. You gave up a lot to serve this planet, Jack, and you deserve a lot of respect for that."

"I-I. th-thank you, sir." Jack stammered, blushing.

"Don't leave it too long, son," Hammond advised.

"I don't want to rush things."

"Why not?"

"I need to know it's the right thing to do."

"You know that already, don't you?"

"For me it's the right thing, but what about Sam?"

"I figure she thinks so too. You won't know unless you ask her."

"I'll get around to it one of these days. I want to marry her, very much. I just think, well, she needs to be sure. Not that long ago I was her CO. Going from that to marriage is one hell of a leap."

"Looks like you've come quite a long way already. I'm glad to see you both happy, Jack. It's about time."

"I couldn't have lived with myself if we'd done anything that much sooner."

"You are an honorable man and that is an admirable trait. I figure you might not have cared about your own career, but Sam's. you would never have risked that."

"No, I wouldn't. It was a long time coming, but worth the wait," Jack smiled.

"Well I guess I said everything I need to say, Jack. We ought to get back. I can't keep the host away from his own party. If you ever need anything and you think I can help, you know where I am."

"Thank you sir,"

"How many times.?"

"Sorry, force of habit. George," Jack grinned sheepishly and led George back to the others.

After their guests left Jack, Sam and Cassie sat back in relief.

"It's good to have people round but it's just as good when they've gone again," commented Jack, echoing all their feelings. "I'm tired."

"Why don't you two go to bed and leave me to clear up? Have you packed? Are you ready for tomorrow?"

"We've just about finished packing, Cassie. We don't fly until late afternoon. We've got some time tomorrow to finish up."

"All the more reason for you two to go to bed and let me clear up. Gives you more time tomorrow."

"Are you trying to get rid of us Cassie?"

"I just figured you might want some time alone. People in love are like that," Cassie said cheekily, a big smile on her face.

Jack and Sam grinned, amused by her statement. She was right so they left her to clear away and went to bed.

"That was sweet of Cassie, don't you think?" Sam said.

"She's a wonderful girl. Janet did a great job."

"Yes she did. I still miss her sometimes, Jack. Wonder what she would have thought about all of this?"

"Probably just about the same as everyone else. Must tell you what George said."

He repeated the parts of the conversation he wanted her to hear, mentioning nothing about the marriage discussion.

"I love that man," Sam said when he'd finished. "I'm so pleased he said that. Not that we needed his approval or anything, but it makes me feel good."

"Me too. None of us here today are actually related but we make a pretty good family, Sam, don't we?"

"The best."

They cuddled in silence for a bit longer and then drifted off to sleep. Tomorrow was going to be a big day. Tomorrow they would be going on vacation. It was something else they need never do alone again and that fact made them both very happy.

***************
End