samandjack.net

Story Notes: ARCHIVE: SJD yes.

Copyright by Blue Topaz, 2002


*2 DAYS AGO*

"Do you know who I am?" Dr. McKay shouted to the guard.

"Yes, I do. But I'm under a direct order not to allow anyone without a valid access to go inside." Airman Whitby was unfazed with his 'I'm an important person so let me in' attitude.

"I don't think you heard me right the first time. Do ... you ... know ... who ... I ... am?" He repeated his question with his finger waving around in front of him.

"You don't have an access, I will not allow you to pass." The Airman told him. Dr. McKay had been bugging him for almost an hour now; it was fun to say 'no' to him because that cold-hearted geek didn't know how to take it. He heard lots of stories about the Doctor insulting Major Carter, how dare he? Major Carter was one of the friendliest people that he knows, she always smiles and greets him when she checks in.

McKay threw his hands up in the air, "Look, just call Major Carter, she'll let me in."

"Major Carter is not here right now."

"Is she on a mission?"

"That's classified." Airman Whitby was enjoying himself, not often that he got a chance to frustrate a Doctor. Besides, it was a slow day, no one had passed his desk for the past 4 hours.

"What about General Hammond?"

"He's not here as well."

"Why?"

"That's classified."

McKay was pacing in front of his desk now.

"Then, who's in command of the base now?"

"Colonel O'Neill."

The mention of that name stopped McKay dead in his tracks. He was considered his next sentence very carefully.

"Can you call him and tell him that there's something important that I need to say to him?"

"Of course, but you have to specify what 'something important' is. Because the Colonel hates cliché, and I don't want to piss him off."

McKay glared at the Airman, "No."

"Then, I can't call him."

"Why?"

"It's classified." It was not classified, but the Airman was having the day of his life. Anyone vain enough to insult Major Carter deserved this.

"Fine, tell him that I want to join the SGC."

Airman Whitby felt like he was having a heart attack. His face was as white as a cloud now; McKay wanted to join the SGC? Then heaven must have forgotten how the SGC actually saved the world several times. He had to do something; there was no way in the world that he would let McKay join them. But he couldn't think of any now, hey, why didn't he just leave the matter to Colonel O'Neill's hands? He would sort this out. He dialled the Colonel's extension number.

McKay listened to his conversation carefully.

"Colonel O'Neill, this is the Security Point 1, I have Doctor McKay here Sir."

"Yes, Sir. He said that he wanted to see you."

"He said that he wanted to join the SGC, Sir."

"Uhm, Sir, actually he could. There's a memo about it around a week ago."

"It's not my job to make sure that you got the memo, Sir."

"It's Lt. Keller in the Administration Office job, Sir."

"Yes, Sir."

"Yes, Sir."

"I'll pass that to him, Sir."

"Yes, Sir."

He put the phone down. He had done his part for the SGC, now it's up to the Colonel.

"So?" McKay asked impatiently.

Airman Whitby deliberately took a deep breath and delayed his answer.

"So? What did he said?" McKay pressed.

"Colonel O'Neill said that he needs to look at the memo first then he will meet you here."

"Do you know how long it will take?"

"Knowing the Colonel ... maybe an hour ... or more."

McKay growled. It was official, Airman Whitby had the best day of his SGC life.

-----------------------------------------------------------

*TWO HOUR AND TWENTY-SIX MINUTES LATER*

"Why isn't he up here yet?" McKay asked the Airman for the 45th time.

"It's classified." Airman Whitby answered for the 45th time as well. He maintained his perfect soldier sitting position for the past 3 and ½ hours just to get on McKay's nerves, and it was paying off.

"Look, can you at least call him again?"

"No."

"Why?"

"I have no reason to do that." He shrugged.

"I've been WAITING for like 2 and ½ an hours, it's A REASON." McKay shouted.

"It is for you. Not for me."

"Argh, that's it. The first thing that I'm going to do after I join SGC is to fire you."

"You have to join first. And even though you're in, you don't have the authority to do that. Only General Hammond can do that."

McKay was seriously considering strangling the Airman at this point, but the sound of footsteps from inside the mountain stopped him. He looked up to see who it was. It was the Colonel, Airman Whitby rose to his feet.

Colonel O'Neill was in a very good mood. His face was decorated with a bright smile.

"Dr. McKay." He greeted after he saw the Doctor.

"Finally! Do you know how long I've been waiting here?"

"Yes, but I don't care." McKay was taken aback.

"I've been waiting for 2 and ½ hours for you, prior to 1 hour of arguing with this Airman on how to get inside the mountain." McKay finger was pointing at Airman Whitby accusingly. Colonel O'Neill looked to the Airman.

"I'm just doing my job, Sir." The Airman said with a knowing smile.

"Keep up the good job, Airman."

"Yes, Sir." He saluted him.

McKay watched the interaction anxiously, but he knew that he had to keep calm. He had a mission today, and the mission was to join the SGC, to be closer to a certain 'artist' that he admired so much.

"Ehem, Colonel O'Neill. I would like to join the SGC." McKay said confidently.

"You would?"

"Yes, I have all the qualifications needed for the job. I know that there's a new guideline on the recruitment now, the SGC can actually employ their own scientist."

"That's about right ... I think." The Colonel just read the memo and quick-read the new manual, but that sounded right.

"So ... can I join you?"

"But you still under the government's payroll, aren't you? And I don't think the Russian's will be happy with this." The Colonel said casually.

"My contract is due in about a month and I have no intention to extent it."

"I see."

"I have the knowledge and I have the clearance, I'm perfect candidate to work here, Colonel."

"You are." The Colonel smiled.

"Really? So ... I'm in?" McKay was floating with joy.

"Ah ... ah ... not so fast. You have to go though a trial."

"Trial?"

"Like a test. Just to see whether you really are 'perfect' for SGC. Every new recruit has to do it."

"Oh ... okay."

"The trial lasts 3 days. Be here at 10.00 hours, sharp?" The Colonel already calculated the time carefully, in two days, his Major would be back from the new Tok'ra base. Of course he had to share his fun with her.

"I'll be here, Colonel. Don't worry." McKay was shaking Colonel O'Neill hands vigorously.

"Oh yeah, one more thing. If you fail this test, that's it. No coming back and harassing the guard again."

McKay was so overjoyed that he agreed to it blindly, "Yes, you have my word Colonel. No coming back, no harassing. Got it." He was so sure that he would make it, he has the brain, and there was no reason for SGC to reject him. He was almost skipping on his way back to his car.

After McKay left, Colonel O'Neill was faced with a confused look from Airman Whitby.

"Don't worry, Airman. There's no way he can join the SGC." He quickly reassured him.

"But Sir, he's a brilliant scientist and we need his brain." The Airman voiced his concern.

"Trust me. I'll design the trial myself." He winked at the guard. And then everything just clicked; Colonel O'Neill was in command of this facility until the General got back (and from what he heard, the General had a really bad flu), so he could actually do anything to McKay.

"I understand, Sir." Airman Whitby was relieved, there was no way McKay could pass the test, not with the Colonel as the mastermind behind it.

"O'Neill." Teal'c appeared from elevator.

"Teal'c, buddy." Colonel approached him.

"How is it?"

"It's going according to our plan." He had a big grin on his face.

"I shall enjoy the day I have my revenge." The big Jaffa had a satisfied smile, they both went inside the elevator.

"Come on, we have lots to do." And then the door was closed.

Airman Whitby was overexcited to think what would await McKay tomorrow. Colonel O'Neill and Teal'c was behind this, McKay was so dead. It was a one-way ticket to great entertainment, and Airman Whitby was not going to miss it. The base was quite inactive these days; this was the refreshing diversion from the base's boring life. He picked up his phone and dialled up Sgt. Green in the Communication Department, she knew how to spread this information around.

"Hey, guess who dropped by today."

< to be continue >



End Notes: Please do send feedbacks as always, :) blue-topaz@lycos.com