samandjack.net

Story Notes: SPOILERS: "Abyss" "Frozen" "The Tok'ra Part 1" "Meridian"

SEASON/SEQUEL: Companion piece to "Sleeping Soundly"

ARCHIVE: Archive: SJ yes, Heliopolis yes. All others ask first


"Jack?" It had to be another dream, Samantha Carter realised as strong arms enveloped her and pulled her close. He wouldn't... couldn't be holding her. The man she wanted in her bed would be in her bed would be in his bed, most likely reliving the nightmares that he had lived while being held captive by Ba'al, something that she was unable to help him with. She hadn't even be told what he had suffered at the hands of the Goa'uld; General Hammond had refused to let her attend Jack's debriefing, and not for the world would the Colonel tell her of the horrors he had endured. "Shh... I'm here Sam." The words were softly spoken, and in her dream she allowed herself to relax back into the comforting embrace she was in. "It's okay, I'm here now." In her mind, everything should have been all right now he was back, but Sam still couldn't help but feel guilty. If she hadn't asked him to take a symbiote... if she hadn't left him at the Tok'ra base, then none of this would have happened. She hated the Tok'ra for what they had done to him, but if it hadn't been for them, her father would be dead. "Missed you," she informed this dream Jack, wishing that she could tell it to his face. All she had managed to say to him was 'Good to have you back, Colonel'. That had said nothing of the feelings she tried so hard to hide, to keep beneath the surface, knowing that even the slightest slip could mean her reassignment away from SG-1, and from Jack. With Daniel's ascension the previous year, she knew how important it was for the remainder of the original team to stay together. "I missed you too," he told her, and she smiled even as she wished that it were really Jack saying it to her. After the events of the past few weeks, the urges that she sometimes had to just give it all up was getting stronger. However, as long as the war with the Goa'uld continued, and she was still able to fight, then she would remain. There was no alarm to wake her in the morning, but as Sam gradually became aware of her surroundings, she realised that she wasn't alone. She couldn't move, but figured that was because of the body draped over her. Turning, she could see the relaxed face of her CO in the dull light. Reaching up with her right hand, she traced her finger over his forehead, jumping slightly when his eyes opened and looked straight at her. "Hey," he whispered, grinning as she pulled her hand back as though she had been stung. "Colonel. What are you doing in my bed?" Sam asked, trying to move, but realising that she was unable to due to his arms that were still wrapped around her. Instead she lay perfectly still, realising with horror that she hadn't been actually been dreaming the embrace the previous night. "Making sure my favourite major's okay," he replied, smiling tenderly at her, noticing her pick-tinged cheeks and tousled hair. "And banishing my nightmares." "What did he do to you sir?" Sam asked softly, scanning his face carefully, seeing his eyes darken. "I want to be able to help." "Just be here for me," Jack said. "I don't want you to have to know what happened. I just need you to be supportive, and understand that I don't blame you for my capture. I said yes to having the snake in my head - you didn't make the decision for me." "But I was the one who asked you," Sam replied, trying to prevent the tears from welling up in her eyes. "I asked you to do it because I didn't want to see you die. I didn't think about what it would mean to you. All I could think about was that the Tok'ra had already saved my dad, so they could save you too." "I said yes," Jack reminded her, pulling her even closer. Her head rested on his chest, and he could feel her warm tears soaking through his shirt as one hand gently rubbed her back, and she cried silently. Safe in the arms of the man she loved, Samantha Carter released the burden she had been carrying ever since they returned from Antarctica.

* * *

The end



End Notes: All and any feedback to little_miss_likes_to_fight@hotmail.com