samandjack.net

Story Notes: Spoilers: Anything before Threshold is fair game.

Feedback: Please!!! The more responses I get, the faster I can write a new story! Flames will be used to roast marshmallows and make s'mores, but I'm trying to go on a diet, so please try and avoid sending them to me. And this is my first fic, so be kind. My email is pfalcon41@yahoo.com

Sequels: Like I said above, the more feedback I get, the more I want to write. Ok, I know that's technically extortion. Now, ask me if I care. : )

Archive: DJA, SJD, anywhere else just tell me so I can come and visit!

Author's notes: Thanks to Becca for beta reading this!


"SG1, you have a go," General Hammond ordered as the wormhole sprang into existence.

"So, Sir, what do you expect we'll find on P39-428? Anything interesting?" asked Carter as they approached the Stargate.

"Oh, I dunno, Major, it all depends on how you define interesting. Judging from what we got from the MALP, I'm sure there'll be lots of fascinating rocks for Daniel, and I'm sure we'll find lots of old techno toys for you in the ruins of that old civilization."

"Well, sir, what about you?"

"Oh, I saw from the readings exactly what I have to look forward to. Trees. Lots and lots of trees. What a surprise." Colonel O' Neill let out an exasperated sigh.

"Well, Sir, you gotta admit..."

"Colonel O' Neill, Major Carter, I do believe it is time for us to depart." Teal'c said, interrupting the pair's good-natured bantering.

"Uh, yeah, guys, I think I have to second that," chimed in Daniel cheerfully, "Much as we'd love to see you two tease each other all day, I just cant wait to examine those ruins. I mean, they may be the missing link to the race that invented the Gate!" Gee, he thought, when will those two realize they're perfect for each other? I mean, it's so obvious. Even General Hammond can see it. If only they, and the military, weren't so stuck on those damn regulations. Oh well, maybe I can find some way to help. Now, what can I do?

And with that SG1 stepped through the wormhole...



...And emerged on the planet on the other side. On the outside, it didn't appear to be to special, just the ruins of a long- deserted village surrounded by (surprise, surprise) trees. Lots and lots of trees. But Daniel had been certain that the pictures of writing the MALP had sent back contained information about the Ancients, the ones who had invented the Gate. He wasn't certain how it had gotten here, on this desolate planet so far from Earth, but he certainly wanted to find out.

"Alright, campers, let's move out." Ordered O'Neill. " Teal'c, examine the area, make sure the MALP was right when it said this place was deserted. Carter, you find a decent place to set up camp. Daniel- I know you're itching to examine the ruins, but if we're really gonna be on this planet for three days, we'll need some more water. Go see if you can find a stream or something."

"As you wish, O'Neill."

"Yes, sir."

"Ok, Jack, no problem."

Jack O' Neill watched as his team moved quickly and efficiently to accomplish the tasks that he had assigned them. They had come so far from what they had been when they first met. Especially Daniel. Far from the geek he had been at the beginning of the Stargate program, Jack was now proud to call him a member of his team. Actually, he had been that proud for quite a while, he just wouldn't admit it. In fact, the only area he hadn't made significant progress in was his love life. Sure, he had loved Sha're, but she was dead, and had been, for all purposes, for quite some time. Now, if only he and Janet could get together. Don't they realize they're perfect for each other? It's so obvious, even I can see it. Hmm, maybe I can find some way to help. Now, what can I do?

Jack was shaken out of his reverie by the sound of machine gun fire and energy blasts. He looked up to see Sam, Daniel and Teal'c running towards him and the Gate. Looking further, he saw they were persued by what were very obviously Jaffa. He ran towards the Gate and started to dial home, cursing under his breath that the damn MALP was wrong again; this planet was very obviously NOT deserted. He sent the GDO code through just as his three teammates reached the edge of the ramp. He watched as Daniel, and the Teal'c, disappeared through the wormhole, and then he and Carter ran up the ramp and jumped through the wormhole, together...



...except that Carter hadn't jumped. Just before he disappeared through the event horizon, Jack watched as Sam tripped and sprawled, and looked on in horror as the Jaffa behind her slowed, and pointed their staff weapons right at her.

"Nnnnnnnnnnnoooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" he yelled as he entered the wormhole, and he was still shouting that single word as he reappeared on the other side, until he struck his head on the ramp and lost consciousness.



"-aniel! Daniel, can you hear me? C'mon Daniel, it's time to wake up!"

"Ugh," Daniel said as he slowly dragged himself back to consciousness. "Janet, why is it that whenever someone else gets injured, you insist they need their rest, while whenever I get hurt you feel the need to wake me up as soon as possible?" But he complaint was half- hearted, he could never seem to find the will to be really annoyed with his Janet.

Wait a second. His Janet? Where the hell had that come from? You would almost think that he was... but no, he couldn't be - Janet was his Doctor and his friend, nothing more.

Now, if only he could convince himself of that.

"What do you mean, wake you up as soon as possible? My God, Daniel, you've been asleep for five hours! I only woke you up 'cause Hammond says you debrief at 1800, and that's less than an hour from now," Janet retorted, shaking Daniel out of the daze he had fallen into. "Anyway, I've gotta go, I have other patients waiting for me who actually appreciate my services!" And with that, she left, leaving Daniel to stare after her, thinking.

"So, you've it bad, huh?" said Colonel O' Neill from the next cot.

"What?!? Uh, Jack, hey, I, uh, didn't realize you were there."

"Obviously. Like I said, you've got it bad, huh? Wanna talk about it?"

" You're imaging things- Janet and I are just friends. Besides, you've got a lot of room to talk, with you and Sam being so completely oblivious to-" he paused when he saw a flicker of pain and sadness flash over Jack's face. "Jack! What's the matter? What's wrong with Sam?"

"That's just it, Danny. I don't know. She was right beside me - but she tripped. I had already jumped, I couldn't stop myself, couldn't go back to help her. The last thing I saw was a bunch of Jaffa pointing their staff weapons at her. I don't know if they killed her, or took her prisoner. All I know, Danny, is that P39-428 was a trap. There was no key to the Ancients there- but some Goa'uld sure as hell wanted us to think so. And now they've got Sam. The question is, is she dead or alive?"

"Oh my God, that's horrible. Wait, where's Teal'c? Did they get him too?"

"No, he jumped through right after you did. He's in his quarters meditating. He wants to be well rested for the briefing, because there we're gonna figure out a way to rescue Sam."

"Hold on, are you saying you know which System Lord has Sam?"

"No, we don't. But we contacted the Tokra to see if they might have heard anything. Jacob and Selmac should be at the briefing, hopefully they can help us. I don't know how Jacob will be able to stand it, though, knowing his daughter may be in the hands of a Goa'uld."

"Well, with any luck she won't be for long, Jack, because we'll save her."

"There is only one problem with that argument, Daniel. Sam has to be alive to be saved."



"We're receiving a signal sir, it's the Tokra."

"Open the iris," General Hammond ordered, striding towards the platform.

"Hello, George," said Jacob as he stepped through the Gate.

"Hello, Jacob, it's good to see you again. I just wish it were under better circumstances."

"As do I, George, as do I. Now, where is the rest of SG1? We need to get my little girl back, and I think I know how."

"Right this way. They're already in the briefing room."



Pain. That was all she could focus on. Her head ached, and underneath the pounding headache, she could practically feel the dozens of bruises forming all over her body. The good news was that she didn't seem to have any broken bones. Oh, and she wasn't dead. Of course, depending on who her captor was, that wasn't necessarily a good thing.

Of course, the pain was in part her fault. The Jaffa had at first merely tried to take her captive and escort her to their god. But she had fought them every step of the way. Or rather, she had fought them for the first three steps of the way before they had lost their patience, beaten her into unconsciousness, and, judging from her many scrapes, dragged her to the nearest ring site and beamed her to the Goa'uld mothership she was currently being held on.

She could hear the footsteps of approaching Jaffa. Now maybe she would get some answers. They opened her cell door, and she walked towards them. The First Prime motioned with his staff weapon for her to walk in front of him.

"Who are you taking me to?" She asked.

"Silence, Tau'ri! You will feel the wrath of my god soon enough. Until then I will not dishonor him by having him be spoken of by filth like you."

Ok, that was not a good sign. This Goa'uld sounded like seriously bad news. She continued on in silence until they reached the throne room, where she was forced onto her knees in front of the latest seriously egocentric Goa'uld that thought he could dominate the universe. She looked up to see a host body that she had never seen before, but there was something familiar about those glowing eyes, and when he spoke, she was certain her initial assumption was correct.

"Hello, Tau'ri Major Samantha Carter. It has…been a while, has it not?'

Sam groaned, "Oh, no, not you again."



"So you're saying that one of the Tokra agents has reported that Apophis has Sam?" asked Daniel incredulously.

"Wait a second," added O'Neill, "Last time I checked, Apophis was dead. I mean, you were there, Jacob, you saw Apophis' ship smear onto that planet. With all the Replicators on board, there's no way he could have escaped!"

"I concur, Jacob Carter, there is no way Apophis survived," said Teal'c.

"Well," replied Jacob, "that's what we thought too, until..."



End Notes: © Arcana 2002