samandjack.net



Nightmares were something he had suffered a long time ago. After his return from the Gulf, he had often relieved the torture that he had endured over there while he slept. What he had been subjected to by Ba'al had been nothing like he could have previously imagined. Iraqi torture sessions had nothing on the Goa'uld. Every night he woke up, expecting to be back in his cell. Some nights he even expected to see Daniel, trying to persuade him to ascend. But even worse was when he saw the face of someone who hadn't even been there. He never saw the slave girl that Kanan had gone back to rescue. Only the woman that he would never leave behind. Lying in his quarters, the darkness was strangely comforting. No bright lights of the sarcophagus; just the blackness that came with being so far underground. There was no silence like there had been in the sarcophagus either. Jack frowned as he realised that what he was hearing came from next door; his second-in-command's quarters. He had noticed how tired she had seemed whenever he saw her, and realised that this was the reason why. Hitting his bedside lamp, he winced as the bright light assaulted his eyes. Grabbing a T-shirt, he pulled it on over his head, and padded towards the door. Opening it, he stuck his head out and looked up and down the long, grey corridor. Satisfied that no one else was around at this God-forsaken hour of the morning, he closed the door behind him and quietly opened the door leading to the room next to his. The light coming through the half-open door, and a single light on the wall illuminated the figure of Major Samantha Carter lying on the bed, facing the wall, with her covers pulled tightly around her. Gently closing the door behind him, his bare feet made no sound as he headed across towards the bed. He sat down, and carefully readjusted the covers, allowing him to lie down next to her. "Jack?" The words were mumbled as his arms went around her, pulling her close to his chest. Jack's heart raced as she used his name; not Colonel or sir. It was clear that she was half-asleep, as she would never let her guard down enough at other times. "Shh... I'm here Sam," he whispered, brushing the short blonde locks tenderly away from her face, his heart breaking as he noticed the big dark circles under her eyes that were the result of long restless nights. "It's okay, I'm here now." "Missed you," Sam replied, her voice slurred as she started to fall back to sleep again, feeling safe in his arms. "I missed you too," Jack told her honestly, enjoying the feeling of having her in his arms more than he should. Everything about this woman prompted feelings that he knew he shouldn't have, but couldn't help having. The steady even breathing soon told him that she was asleep, and he breathed a sigh of relief. Teal'c had filled him in on what had happened while he had been away, including the remainder of the team's impromptu trip to Oregon. Jack had shuddered when he had heard of Sam's second violation by a snake. She hadn't mentioned it to him yet, and he understood that now more than he had ever wanted. But he had chosen the implantation; be it only because she had asked him to. Satisfied that she was sleeping soundly, Jack allowed his eyes to close, with the woman he loved safe in his arms. For the first night since he had made it back to the SGC, Jack O'Neill slept soundly.

* * *

The end

All and any feedback to little_miss_likes_to_fight@hotmail.com