samandjack.net

Story Notes: AUTHOR'S NOTES: What would I do without Allie O'N to beta the stuff I write? End up with a bunch of less than good fic? Definitely! Okay, two points. Firstly, I wrote this *BEFORE* "The Consequences of Decisions" was sent out. Don't worry, I haven't been shirking any responsibility for coming out with a sequel to that. I'll get it done as soon as I possibly can. Secondly, this story may not be quite what you expect. You'll understand why once you finish it. You have been warned!

Feedback greatly appreciated.


She was analyzing the decay rate of a new naquadria isotope that she had isolated when she felt him looking at her. She'd always had a sixth, or was it seventh, sense for when she was being watched, but with him it was different. Without looking, she could tell when she was being watched by him, or being watched by anyone else. Rationally, she couldn't explain it. Emotionally, she knew very well what the reason was; it was just something she didn't like to admit, even to herself.

She looked up, but spoke even before she did so. "Sir?"

He stood in the doorway to her lab, staring at her, his hands shoved into his pockets. To most people it would have appeared as though he was collecting his thoughts, or perhaps even relaxing, but she could read him much better than most people. She could see in his eyes that he was struggling with something, trying to work out how to proceed.

He didn't respond.

"Sir? Are you okay?"

Still no response. It's like he didn't even know she was there, and she was beginning to get a little concerned.

"Colonel?"

Suddenly he blinked, as though waking from a dream, looking almost surprised to see here there.

"Carter!"

"Are you okay, Sir?"

"Yes. Why do you ask?"

"Well, you've been standing in the doorway staring at me for the past five minutes."

"I have?"

"Yes, you have." She could see the emotions struggling inside him again, and began to wonder why he was there.

"Did you stop by for a reason, Sir?"

"Carter .." He stopped as though unsure what to say next.

"Sir?"

"Carter, there's something that I need to say to you. Something we need to discuss."

Her mind raced. What could the Colonel be struggling with that he had so much difficulty bringing it up? And he wasn't even trying to lighten the situation like he usually did. Holy Hannah! He doesn't want to talk about *us* does he?

"Um, what Sir?" She was beginning to feel nervous.

He finally came into the room and approached the workbench by which she was standing, his eyes fixed on hers. He said nothing, just continuing to stare at her, and she found it almost impossible to pull her eyes away from his gaze.

"Sir?" Now she *was* feeling nervous. So nervous that it felt like the butterflies in her stomach had somehow managed to rig themselves a G-force simulator, and were running it at Mach 10.

"Carter .." There was so much emotion in that voice. Emotion that she wanted to hear, and yet didn't at the same time. He reached out his hand to touch hers, and she immediately felt the spark and the warmth that she adored so much flow into her.

"Sir, it's okay. I know what you're going to say, and we really can't talk about it. I'm your second in command, and there are regulations that we have to adhere to. We have to keep our feelings repressed until things change. We can't .." He said something.

"WHAT!!" she yelled at him. He was grinning like the proverbial Cheshire cat, and that look in his eyes! She was going to *KILL* him!

**

He looked at her, grinning hugely. "What I said Carter, was that the Commissary is out of jello."

The expression on her face was priceless, and he wished he had a camera. He wondered whether he might be able to get one of the airmen in the security office to make a copy of the tape for him. Rank did have it's privileges after all, and it would certainly make for some very entertaining viewing.

"They're WHAT?" She was still upset, her eyes glaring at him, although he did notice that she hadn't moved her hand away. He kept grinning.

"You set me up! You're *not* going to get away with this!" He knew that, but it had been worth it to hear what she said, and to see the expression on her face. His grin grew even larger, if that were possible.

He loved her more than he could say or express, even though he was unable to act upon it. How often he wished that he could tell her how he really felt, and not just play games with her feelings and emotions, even though he enjoyed winding her up so *very* much. But he knew that she enjoyed their banter and their, for lack of a better word, flirting, and that made him happy, deliriously happy. So until that time when he could tell her that he loved her, this would have to do.

He kept grinning, and eventually she began to smile back, just a little. Then she finally began to giggle as she saw the humor in the situation.

"But the good news Carter, is that while there may be no jello, there *is* freshly made Chocolate Mud Cake, and I've had some set aside. Care to join me?"

She looked as though she was debating the merits of making him pay for what he had done versus an offer for chocolate cake. He knew her well enough to know that the chocolate was always going to win that contest - and she'd make him pay later! She grinned at him and squeezed his fingers for a second before moving her hand away. "Of course, Sir!"

~end~



End Notes: Thanks for reading. I'm always looking for ways to improve my writing. Please let me know what you think!

Copyright (c) 2003 Robert Holland - rholland@pilotsoftware.com