samandjack.net

Story Notes: Author's note- This is really just an experiment. This is completely dialog and no descriptive elements to explain the background or feelings. Hopefully what they say is enough. And this is not necessarily true to cannon, god knows. But still, I've never seen anyone else try a strictly dialog fic. If you have let me know; would love to read.


"Don't you think it's about time you turned in, major? Morning will be here soon."

"Yes sir. I guess."

"Is there something bothering you, major?"

"Oh. No. No. I was just thinking about the ceremony we were supposed to have attended tonight."

"Don't tell me you would have rather been at some *ceremony* with a bunch of stuck up losers than here on this beautifully lush planet with your team?"

"Sir. . . . You know very well I would rather be here with you and the guys. It's just that . . . ."

"It's just that what, major?"

"It doesn't really matter, does it, sir? I guess I'll turn in."

"Carter. . . if it didn't really matter you wouldn't have been staring at the fire for the past hour or so without saying a word. Please, tell me what's on your mind."

"Well, it's just that. . . .the one or two times each year that we're expected. . . .well no, asked. . . .to go to these *ceremonies*. . . . It's the rare moment that. . . .well,. . . .you and me can be. . . . you and me. We can get dressed up and nothing is really expected of us. . . . And you now. . . .sometimes, I really like getting dressed up, even if it's for some stupid ceremony."

"I like you getting dressed up once in a while too, major!"

"Sir?"

"You know what I mean."

"Yes sir."

******

"You mean to tell me Carter, that you've been moping around the camp fire tonight because you wanted to get dressed up and be escorted to this O so elegant *ceremony* on the arm of your most capable and handsome of Colonels?"

"Not exactly that, sir."

"Then?"

"I was really looking forward to. . . ."

"To *what*?"

"I'll miss our dance together."

"Oh. . . . I guess I forgot."

******

"What are you doing, sir?"

"Since we can't go the ceremony to have *our* dance then we'll just have to have *our* dance right here."

"I don't exactly see a dance floor, sir, and I'm not entirely sure, but I seriously doubt that we have enough clout to bring a band or orchestra here just so we can have music to dance by."

"Come on, major, take my hand. Dance with me. Who needs a dance floor when we can dance under the stars of heaven; and who needs music when we have this whispering waterfall and the majestic sounds of nature to be our orchestra."

"Put it like that, how could I ever refuse my most capable and handsome of Colonels?"

"You can't"

"No, sir, I guess I can't"

******

"Sir?"

"Yeah."

"Have you ever made a wish that came true?"

"I've made two or three. Why do you ask?"

"Just curious."

******

"Carter. . . .have you ever made a wish that came true?"

"One or two."

"What were they? If you don't mind my asking?"

"No, how could I ever mind? I guess the biggest one is working with the Stargate and with SG1, but I think you knew that one."

"Yeah, we've talked about that one before."

"As for the other. . . only time will tell as to whether it will come true."

"You're not even going to give me a hint?"

"I like to keep you guessing, sir. . . . I thought this was a slow dance, sir?"

"You're cruel, Carter. And if I'm going to fast for you remind me to get you dance lessons when we get back home."

"That would be great, sir. . . . What about you, sir, what are a couple of your wishes?"

"My wishes, well, one is a wish that I can never have."

"Charlie?"

"Yeah. . . . the other is answered ever time I see you smile."

"One of *your* wishes is to see me smile?"

"Everyday!"

"Wow, sir, I don't know what to say."

"Yeah. . . .well. . . ."

******

"What are you giggling about, Carter?"

"I was just thinking about Teal'c. I wonder what he would say if he saw us out here dancing by the light of the moon?"

"He probably wouldn't say anything. Just give us one of *those* looks that are most uniquely his and bow his head reverently. Then he'd go back to conferencing with Junior."

"Wow, were did you learn to dip like that?"

"Oh, I've had a little practice."

"I can imagine."

"I'm sure you could, major, I'm sure you could."

******

"Do you ever wonder what goes on between those two?"

"No. To complicated. He tried explaining once. But there was just too much. . . . info I really didn't need to know."

"Kind of personal, I guess?"

"You could say that."

******

"Are you cold, sir?"

"No. But if your fingers keep playing with the hair on the back of my neck. . . ."

"Sorry, sir, I didn't realize."

"I didn't say stop, major."

"Oh."

******

"Colonel?"

"Yes, Carter."

"Have you ever regretted the way your life turned out?"

"There are a few things I would have liked to see turn out differently. But regret. . . .not one thing. What about you?"

"Regret. . . .no. Change. . . .maybe."

"Why do you ask, Carter?"

"Before you asked me to *dance*. . . .while I was *moping* around the campfire. . . .I was thinking about the past few years, and everything we've been through."

"We've been through a lot. And I'd go through it all again if it brought us right back to this moment."

"Thank you."

"Thank me, for what?"

"For being. . . . you."

"Oh."

******

"Wanna try a spin?"

"Sure, sir"

"How did I do?"

"You can spin me anytime, sir."

"Glad to know I can leave you breathless."

******

"Do you think Jonas ever stops reading?"

"I think he stops only long enough to ask questions and eat. . . . He's really starting to grow on you isn't he, sir?"

"He's no Daniel. But I'm getting used to him being around."

"I miss him."

"Yeah. . . . me too."

"Do you think Daniel ever comes by to see how we're doing?"

"I think that's a good possibility, Carter. You know Daniel?"

"Yeah, I do. . . ."

******

"What are you thinking about, Carter?"

"You. . . . You really are a romantic, sir."

"What makes you say that?"

"'Who needs music when we have this *whispering* waterfall and the *majestic* sounds of nature to be our orchestra.'"

"Oh that. Don't tell anyone, I wouldn't want to spoil my image."

"I'll keep it between us, sir. I wouldn't want to share my dance partner anyway."

"What?"

"Hmmm. . . . Never mind, sir."

******

"You know, sir, I really liked the way you said. . . .what you said."

"You keep whispering in my ear like that, major, and were going to end up having that little talk about retirement."

"I'll try to refrain from the temptation, sir. . . . But someday?"

"Someday what, major?"

"Someday. . . . you think we'll actually have that little talk about retirement?"

"It's a distinct possibility."

"I like possibilities."

"Definitely. . . ."

***

"Colonel?"

"Yeah. Wait, hold on, spinning. . . ."

"*Sir*"

"Sorry, couldn't resist. You were saying."

"Well. . . ."

"I guess that was *bad* timing. I really am sorry, Carter, please go on."

"Well, I know we talked a little about this once before, but, . . .there is something I never told you."

"What's that?"

"When you were sick. . . .before the Tokra came. . . ."

"Its okay, Carter, we really should have talked more about this before now."

"I'm sorry. . . ."

"Don't be."

"When I was watching you through the window. . . .watching you. . . .not knowing what was going to happen. . . .I had never been so scared in all my life. I really thought we were going to lose you. And for a little while. . . ."

"For a little while? Go on. . . ."

"If you didn't make it. . . .I didn't want to go on."

"Oh. . . . I seem to remember feeling that way once myself."

"You did?"

"Yeah, after I shot you with the Zat."

"I'm sorry."

"Neither of us has anything to be sorry about, Carter. It's just the way it is. But thank you for telling me. . . . And maybe you could loosen you grip just a touch. I really do enjoy breathing you know."

"Just a touch? I think I can do that, sir."

******

"If we were home tonight, Carter. . . .would we be dancing this close?"

"You mean with me resting my head on your shoulder, and the two of us breathing onto each others necks and whispering into each others ears so softly almost. . . .seductively. Our arms around each other so tight it may take Teal'c and a pry bar to get them loose again?"

"Exactly."

"I guess we both know the answer to that one, sir."

"I guess…."

******

"You realize, major, that it's well past midnight and we've been swaying to the rhythms of the night and nature for almost an hour, without interruption?"

"There's no competition here, sir, to break in and take you away."

"Don't tell me you're the jealous type, Carter?"

"Not really. . . . What about you?"

"No, because I know the last dance will always be ours."

******

"And speaking of the last dance, sir. . . "

"Are you sure, Carter?"

"It is tradition."

"Most definitely. . . . tradition."

******

"Wow"

"Yeah. . . . You know what, major?"

"What?"

"The next ceremony, I'm making reservations to come back here for our dance together."

"You mean with the whispering waterfalls and the majestic sounds of nature to be our orchestra?"

"What could more perfect, Carter?"

"That sounds great, sir."

"Yeah"

******

"You know, major, as nice as this is, if we don't stop soon, Teal'c and Jonas are going to have to deal with two very tired and cranky people for the rest of this mission."

"Yes, sir. . . . And Colonel?"

"Yeah?"

"Thank you. . . .for the dance. . . .and for. . . .everything."

"Anytime, Carter."

"Good night, sir."

"Good night, major."