samandjack.net

Story Notes: Season: Three

Spoilers: 'A Hundred Days'


I deal with problems on a daily basis. It's part of my job and what I was trained to do by the Air Force. Granted, the Air Force didn't train me to deal with alien parasites that enslave humans or viruses that turn people into primitives. Still, the principle is the same.

But not this time. The problem isn't one that is dealt with in the same way. I don't think the human heart is capable of surviving such callousness.

Sam told me that her missing the Colonel was not a problem, that it would not interfere with her good sense and judgment. And I think she truly believed that, but the events that followed her words hinted at otherwise.

I have to say I was relieved when we received word from Teal'c, informing us that he had broken through the surface to find Colonel O'Neill alive and well. My relief, however, was not just on account of Teal'c surviving what could have been suffocation due to lack of air.

Sam worked on the particle beam like it was vital to the safety of the entire human race. She pulled forty - eight hour shifts more often than not, barely eating or sleeping. Usually it took a direct order from either General Hammond or myself to get her to leave the lab and go to her quarters to rest. Going home would have been out of the question for Sam, so we didn't push our luck.

When Teal'c, Colonel O'Neill, and the surviving villagers were able to stabilize their Stargate, Sam came to see me just before she left with the rest of the refugees. As she entered my office, I got a really good look at just what kind of shape she was in. She had always been a bit thin, but now it was almost to the point of starvation, and her skin was unhealthily pale. Normally, I would have immediately have tossed her into the infirmary and not let her leave for at least a week. In fact, I almost did so. But when I saw her eyes, I lost any delusions of keeping her here. Sam's blue orbs were shining brightly, an element of peace and happiness that had been missing for months.

With no other choice before me, I let her go. I watched from the control room as she practically bounced up the ramp towards the Gate, urging the refugees on, telling them that home was just on the other side. It was more energy I'd seen her exhibit on other human beings since she and Teal'c came through toppling through the Gate that fateful day three months ago.

When the Gate deactivated and they were gone, I shook my head in resignation. The antics of the SGC's flagship team would never cease to amaze me. Theirs was a bond of miraculous proportions, forged by blood, fire, and an instinctive trust that can only come about in the hearts of warriors with the same cause.

As I was leaving the control room, I caught a glimpse of the General's face and nearly stopped. I would have expected him to be elated at having his most experienced team leader being recovered. Instead, I saw a pensive, almost anxious, expression on his face. Almost as if he was dreading the Colonel's return.

Making a note of it, I kept moving and soon arrived back in the infirmary, taking note of the distinct buzz that was affecting everyone. I ordered Beverly Rush and Kendra Lexington to prepare the instruments we would need to give Colonel O'Neill a full medical work up when he arrived. He'd been on Edora for three months; God only knew what he'd picked up while he was there.

Two hours later, SG - 1 returned, physically intact. But when Sam, Daniel, and Teal'c came into the infirmary for their standard check - ups, I knew things were far from right.

Teal'c's face was a solemn mask of disapproval, unrest emanating from his large, muscular body. He said nothing, but his feelings were clear. Daniel's fists were shaking, his arms trembling. The angry expression was surprising. I'd never seen him so enraged. Something had undoubtedly happened.

And what I saw on Sam's face merely confirmed what I had discovered. Gone was the happy sparkle that I had beheld mere hours before. In its place was a deeply - set anguish that was only enhanced by her already - pale features. There had been no call for medical personnel to come to the Gate Room, so obviously no one had been injured. What had happened?

With a bit of effort, I held my questions in and did my job. I gave Teal'c and Daniel both a clean bill of health, but told Sam to go home and I didn't want to see her on - base for at least a week. Sam didn't argue with me, which alarmed me all the more. A person knows something is amiss when Sam Carter doesn't argue with them.

Teal'c immediately volunteered to drive her home, most likely eager to make good use of his newly acquired drivers' license. I think Daniel would have gone with them had I not told him to wait. The moment Teal'c had escorted Sam out the door, I demanded to know what had happened to her. Daniel didn't bother to dance around the subject and what he told me was like a slap in the face.

Apparently, Colonel O'Neill hadn't been idle during his time on Edora. In addition to attempting to find the buried Stargate and helping the Edorans to survive, the good Colonel decided to jump in bed with one of the native women. Then, when Sam, Daniel, and Teal'c endeavored to explain how they had worked to bring him home, he turned his back on them. He then told the hussy that he wasn't happy to be going home, in front of his team no less. The Colonel even asked her to return to Earth with him. Thank God she had enough good sense to refuse.

Maybe I'm being a little unfair to the Colonel and the woman, Laira. He was trapped for roughly three months. The Tollan and Tok'ra would have made him wait at least a year, and we were unable to make contact with the Asgard. Left to our own devices, we came as quickly as we could, but the Colonel had no way of knowing that. For all he knew, General Hammond had declared him missing in action and had called off the rescue attempts.

But to be so deliberately callous with his team…

I think it was this very fact that made me so angry: his icy disregard for their feelings. So I think Colonel O'Neill became aware of my… displeasure at his treatment of them. Even though he made no remarks during his examination, I saw the almost confused irritation in his weary brown eyes.

Of course, sitting in my living room, nursing a beer late at night, things seem to make much more sense than they did at the time they were happening. When all is said and done, we have a problem. I just have absolutely no idea as to how to deal with it. And I think that it will hurt a lot of people before it's finally resolved, for good or ill.

God help us.

-----