samandjack.net

Story Notes: AUTHORS NOTES: This one is for Gwen who keeps me in supply of music videos and for Clara, who made me such a great web site.

FEEDBACK: Any feedback to me at my email address, but please, no flames. Thanks for reading.

COPYRIGHT: Amanda Hawthorn November 2002.


Samantha Carter came into her apartment armed with groceries. Finally managing to bang the door closed with her foot, she dumped the three bags down onto the counter top with a groan.

It had been a long few days of being stuck on base while she examined some artifacts from P23-851. Her cupboards were empty, the coffee in the jar long gone hard and dry.

All she wanted to do was soak in a nice hot bath and relax for the whole day.

Coming over to flop unceremoniously onto the couch, she noticed the red light flashing on her answering machine. Probably some salesmen, she mused as she reached out to press the button.

Turning away from the whirring of the tape in the machine, she closed her eyes listening for who had left her a message.

"Hello," a male voice came from the phone "I'm calling on behalf of Globack cleaning company, we are in your area offering free estimates. For more information please don't hesitate to call. Thank you."

Sam sighed, "No thanks."

With a groan she reluctantly got up from the couch and walked over to the bags of groceries and proceeded to unpack them.

The second voice on the machine sounded crackly and grainy "Are you home?" a male voice asked. Sam stopped in mid unpack, a carton of eggs in her hand as she listened to the voice. The phone clicked off as the caller obviously realized there was no one at the receiving end. Putting the eggs on the counter, she came closer to her machine to press the rewind button to see if she recognized the voice. Reaching out to press the rewind button to listen again, another message sounded. "Where the hell are you?" the same voice demanded, " I'm waiting for you to come back. I've wasted hours waiting for you to answer. Be in the next time I call."

The message ended with the same loud thud.

Sam shrugged her shoulder's, she didn't recognize the voice at the other end of the telephone. Her social life was non-existent, so it was probably just a wrong number.

So as she returned to unpacking the rest of her groceries, the voice on the phone faded into the back of her mind.

Sam lowered her aching body into the hot bubble filled bathtub and groaned lazily. Sinking further into the soapy depths, she closed her eyes. After the time she spent of the base, she had longed for a nice hot bath. This was pure heaven.

After only a few minutes into her bath her telephone rang again. "Go away," she groaned, flinging her arm over her eyes. Hearing the same male voice on the telephone broke her relaxed state as her eyes snapped open. The voice from the previous two messages was shouting in anger on the phone line.

Easing herself from the bath, she stepped out to wrap herself in a towel.

The voice on the phone was still yelling obscenities, his voice full of anger. "I know you're there," he shouted "pick up the phone bitch."

The caller slammed down the phone with a loud clatter, making her jump shakily. Sam looked around her apartment, suddenly feeling very apprehensive. This wrong number was starting to get her jumpy.

The shrill began again, this time making her heart thud into her chest. She pulled the towel closer to her body as she waited for the machine to pick up "Hi," she heard her own voice "I'm not here right now, leave a message and I'll get back to you" the long beep was followed by the voice again "I know where you are," he said angrily " I didn't like the perfume you wore today, DON'T wear it again." Sam felt her blood run cold. " I'm watching you Samantha." Then the phone clicked again.

Sam stared stunned at the now silent telephone. He knew her, this man knew her? Perfume? He was close enough to smell her perfume?

The phone began to ring again. Sam backed away from it, her heart thudding wildly. Who the hell was this man anyway?

As the machine clicked on, she sank slowly to the cushions on her sofa. The towel around her feeling damp and cold, but it matched the coldness inside her.

"Carter you there?" the voice asked.

Sam jumped up to grab the receiver "Sir," she spoke, her voice shaking wildly.

"Sam? You ok?"

" I " preparing to lie and say fine, the vulnerable Sam Carter took over "No I'm not ok," she breathed, "Do you think you could come over?"

"What's wrong?" he asked worriedly "you don't sound too good."

"Can you come over?" she felt herself shaking "Please? I'll explain when you get here."

"I'm on my way," he spoke as he hung up.

She sat there for a few moments, gathering her composure feeling warm relief wash over her. Just hearing the sound of Jack's voice made her feel safe and less alone. He always had the power to do that to her, and he didn't even know he did it. Feeling strength return, she gathered herself up to go back to the bathroom and get dressed.

She was there, waiting for him to arrive and swung the door open on his first knock. She surprised the hell out of him when she launched herself into his arms. Cursing herself for making a fool out of herself, she began to move away, preparing to apologize for her stupidity. Instead, Jack just tightened his arms around her, holding her shaking body close to him.

"Hey," he whispered worriedly into her hair "you're shaking."

Sam closed her eyes feeling his arms tightening around her. "I'm sorry sir," she spoke into his chest "I heard your voice and-." Maneuvering her inside and kicking the door closed he walked her over to the couch.

"You gonna tell me what's wrong?" he asked finally as they sat down.

The telephone began it's shrill again, making Sam tense in Jacks arms. He looked over at his usually calm major. This was so unlike her. She wasn't one to be afraid of many things.

"Want me to answer that?" he asked.

"NO," she gasped, grabbing his hand to prevent him from moving.

"Sam?" he asked looking at her, as the machine clicked on. He glanced down at her seeing her eyes staring fixed onto the appliance on the table. The beep sounded and he saw her visibly gulp.

"You're with him aren't you," the man's voice spat "whore."

Jack stared in horror at the machine then back to Sam who had grown very pale.

" Don't think you can hide from me forever Samantha. You're mine and I swear if he touches you I will kill you."

Jack threw off Sam's arms and snatched up the phone " Who the hell are you, you sick bastard," he growled into the phone.

He was greeted with the dialing tone, the perpetrator gone.

Slamming the phone down he turned to face Sam, who by now was shaking, her arms wrapped around her body.

Picking up the phone he began pressing the keypad.

Sam was on her feet in seconds "What are you doing?"

"I'm calling the police," he told her firmly.

"No," she gasped, "they'll ask questions."

"Sam you don't have to put up with this crap."

"Jack," she begged again "he knows me."

He turned to face her then, stunned. This maniac knew her?

"Who is it?"

"I don't know," she spoke honestly, feeling her knees go weak. Reaching behind her for the sofa, she eased herself down, feeling ready to throw up.

"Sam?"

"He said some things," her voice was barely audible.

Coming to sit beside her again, he watched her grow paler "Like what?" When she didn't answer he reached out to take her hand "Sam?"

Staring at him intently, she snatched her hand away angrily. Getting to her feet she started to pace "Stupid things, he doesn't like my perfume-."

"What," Jack couldn't believe what he was hearing "He's watching you?"

"Yes, no, I don't know," tears began to fill her eyes, more with frustration than fear.

Getting to his feet, Jack's hands were on her shoulders, tuning her to face him "Sam, do you recognize his voice?"

Raising her eyes to his, her bottom lip began to tremble as she shook her head.

Engulfing her in his arms once more he held her tight. "We have to tell somebody Sam," he whispered "the sick bastard can't get away with this."

"I know," she said into his chest " but I can handle this thing."

"I know, but humor me ok?" he told her as he kept his arms around her shaking body. He wouldn't let anyone come near her now, the need to protect her overwhelming him.

"I promise we'll get this sick nut Sam."

Slowly he pulled away to look into her eyes, only then noticing her eyes fixed on something in the corner of the room.

His eyes followed hers to see a large box propped up against the wall.

Pulling away from him, she began to walk slowly towards the object, which was wrapped neatly in a box with a gold bow on the top.

Trembling hands slowly reached out to removed the lid. What she saw made her feel sick to her stomach "Oh god," she gasped.

Jack was by her side in an instant, wrapping his arms around her shoulders protectively when he saw what had disturbed her so. Inside the box was a neatly made funeral wreath with lilies and orchids entwined between the greenery.

"Pack a bag," he told her, releasing her from his arms.

"What?"

"Get some stuff, you're not staying here," he told her firmly as he picked up her phone.

"But sir-" She began to protest, the fear inside her suddenly turning into anger "Wait who are you calling?"

" I'm calling the base, Hammond needs to know about this," as she opened her mouth to protest again he held up his hand and turned away from her to speak into the telephone "General Hammond sir, Carter needs our help. Some sick bastard has been leaving her messages on her machine. She's just found a funeral wreath in her damn house. The bastards been in here, we need someone here to go over this place for anything that might tell who he is. No, as soon as your people get here I'm taking her over to my place. No she says she doesn't know him, but sir, he seems to know her. Yep I'll tell her, see you at 0900 tomorrow. Thanks sir."

"What did he say?" she asked nervously biting her bottom lip.

"He wants us to bring in the machine, see if we can figure out who the nut ball is."

I already told you," she muttered in frustration "I don't recognize the voice."

"I wanna help ok?" he reached out to squeeze her arm "I know you and this guys got you rattled."

Lifting her head to meet his gaze she saw the truth in those chocolate brown depths, he did know her, probably better than anyone had ever known her before.

"I'll go get my stuff," she smiled as she slowly turned away only to find Jack holding onto her hand. Their eyes met. The gaze that passed between them whispered a silent admission that was unspoken. Both knew without any words, the bond between them only strengthening through this nightmare.

Reluctantly, Jack released his hold on her hand, to watch her retreat into her bedroom. His heart hammered loudly in his chest threatening to burst through at any moment. Of all the feelings he felt for this woman, this burning need to keep her safe was all he could focus on. The thought of ever losing her still haunted him. He'd already been through that twice now and no way was he going to make it a third time.

"Ok sir I'm done," she sighed coming towards him.

"You know Teal'c and Jonas will want to be with you too. I don't know if I could stop Teal'c from ripping this guys arms out of his socket for doing this to you," he joked trying to lighten her mood just a little.

" Yeah," she smiled lightly, a smile that failed to reach her eyes.

"We won't let anything happen to you Sam, you know that don't you?"

As she looked up into his worried face, the whole hopelessness of this situation began to gnaw at her inside until frustrated tears began to form in her eyes.

"This is so stupid," she moaned throwing her arms in the air angrily ", I don't have a social life, I don't go out anymore, the only friends I have are you guys and Janet, so what the hell does he want with me?"

"Carter-" he started to say as she began pacing the floor.

Ignoring him she continued her tirade " I mean why me? I can't even remember when I went out on a date it's been so long, so long in fact I can't even remember the last time I had s.." Stopping herself from saying anymore, she stared him right in the eyes "you think I gave my number to some guy don't you?"

He had to admit the thought had crossed his mind, albeit very briefly "No, no of course not. You're way smarter than that."

Reaching out a hand to her arm he stilled her pacing.

The eyes she raised to his were no longer anger filled, but instead showed how much this whole thing was affecting her. He knew she put up this steel exterior around herself, that most people would believe her when she said she was ok, but he knew her better, and he knew she was afraid now, even if she would never freely admit it.

Slowly, he lifted a hand to nestle her face, holding his palm against her delicate cheeks "It'll be ok Sam," he spoke softly.

Several cars screeching to a halt outside her house made them spring apart reluctantly. Moving herself away from Jack she eased herself down onto her couch, knowing for not the first time that her house was to be invaded by air force personnel.

"This way guys," Jack instructed, opening the door for several men who marched into Sam's house.

He calmly took over and explained the situation of events, leaving Sam to sit quietly on her couch.

"Come on Carter," his voice broke through her nightmarish haze " let's get you out of here."

Her body seemed to be on autopilot as she allowed herself to be pulled upright onto her feet obediently following her commanding officer.

Looking up she suddenly noticed Teal'c seemingly stalking one of the men in her room, and Jonas talking away to another, asking questions. When had they arrived? She mused to herself she didn't even see them come in.

Noticing his friend, the Jaffa made his way to stand before her " You have no need to worry yourself Major Carter. I will remain here with Jonas Quinn until these men have completed their investigations."

"Thanks Teal'c," she said as she squeezed his arm.

Nodding his head to her, he pulled the answer machine cable from the socket to wrap the cord around the offending object. Passing the machine over to O'Neill, Teal'c then returned calmly to his observations.

Sam felt the knot in her stomach return, as the machine in her commanding officers hands seemed to taunt her.

Jack sensing her anguish reached out to take her hand in his "Let's get out of here."

The ride over to Jack's house was made in virtual silence. Sam stared blankly out of the car window, her mind a million miles away. The voice on her machine seemed to haunt her every thought. What if she knew this man? What if it was someone who worked with her on the base?

Jack kept his eyes on the road ahead, glancing briefly to the woman at his side. In all the years he's known her, he'd never seen her like this. Making a silent vow to get whoever was doing this to her and hurt him severely was in the forefront of his mind.

Pulling up into his driveway, he stopped the car and turned to Sam who still stared silently into nothingness.

"Carter?" he asked as he reached out to touch her hand.

Feeling his touch, she gasped audibly and snatched her hand away from him. Her heart thumped wildly in her chest, sweat beading her forehead.

"Oh god, sir I'm sorry," she tried to control her breathing, tried to hide how much this whole thing was affecting her.

"Hey it's ok," he smiled "come on, let's get inside."

Sam cursed herself silently she was tougher than this. She was being turned out of her own house by some sick nut who got his kicks out of terrorizing women. Well, not this woman, she thought to herself, tomorrow I am going to show all of them that I'm not afraid of staying in my own house.

Jack could see the war raging inside her, could see her turmoil. More and more the anger and the burning need to protect her rose up threatening to engulf him completely. This woman held his heart and soul in the palm of her hand and she didn't even know it.

Turning the key in the lock he opened the door to usher her inside. His eyes followed her as she walked over the threshold into his house.

"Make yourself at home Carter," he told her as he closed the door behind him.

Sam turned to her commanding officer, watching him silently as his back was turned. It still amazed her that this man could turn her inside out and revert her to a quivering wreck, yet still remain a permanent rock of support by her side. Realizing that she was staring, she averted her eyes quickly.

Jack hadn't missed her silent revere but chose not to make it obvious.

"Come on," he smiled as he took her bag off of her "I'll take your stuff to the spare room, you go and find us something to eat."

"Ok," she grinned, for the first time feeling herself relax.

When Jack came back down stairs, he heard her humming to herself as she poured steaming hot water into two mugs. The sound made his heart leap into his throat. Seeing her in his kitchen, her very presence seemed to fill a void not only in his heart but in this house too. This place had been without love and comfort for too long. Leaning against the doorframe watching her silently, it occurred to him that they were alone here. Not as Colonel and Major, but Jack and Sam.

Sam, sensing she was being watched, turned to see Jack stood in the doorway. He looked damn good, she thought to herself. He'd changed out of his fatigues into black sweater and jeans. It was all she could do to stop herself from drooling.

So instead, she gave him one of her brightest smiles.

" Omlette's ok?" she asked, as she handed him his coffee.

"That'd be great," he smiled coming towards her to take the cup she offered. "Want me to do anything?"

"Oh yeah," she thought, "come over here and kiss me senseless."

"Thanks sir, but I've got it covered."

"Well I might just stay and keep you company anyway," he grinned.

Sam felt the colour in her cheeks rising as she turned away. It was going to be a very long night.

After they had finished eating and the dishes put into the dishwasher, Jack felt the need to be near her overwhelming him.

"Sam, leave that," he told her as she began to wipe down his cabinets "come and sit down."

"It's ok," she answered, her voice wavering slightly ",it'll only take a few minutes."

Her hand stilled as she felt his larger hand placed on top of hers. He was so close to her now, she could feel his breath on her neck. Her insides felt like they were melting.

Jack felt the slight tremble of her body against his delighted by the affect he had on her. Sliding his hand away from hers he slowly enticingly traced his hand up her arm until he reached her shoulder.

"Sir," she shuddered, her back still against him.

"Jack," he whispered into her ear as he slowly turned her to face him.

Sam was lost. His eyes seemed to lure her closer into their depths, drawing her deeper into his heart. Slowly, intoxicatingly their lips drew closer, mere whispers apart.

Just as their lips grazed the shrill of Sam's cell phone shattered the electricity in the room. The moment gone, she pulled away from him, the flush still evident on her face.

"My phone," she breathed.

"Yeah," he nodded, his own breath coming in staggering gasps.

Turning from him putting distance between them, she left the room. Reaching her jacket, which was hung on the back of a chair, she reached into her pocket to retrieve her cell phone. The shrilling stopped just as she was about to answer the call.

"Who was it?" Jack asked as he walked towards her.

"Don't know, but they left a message," she told him as she lifted the phone to her ear.

Jack watched, as her face seemed to drain of all colour.

"What?" he asked worriedly as Sam snatched the phone away from her ear to hurriedly put it back into her pocket.

"Sam?"

As his hand made contact with her shoulder, she crumbled; a single tear tracing it's way down her cheek. His arms were around her in a heartbeat pulling her into his embrace.

"He said I was a whore," she spoke into his chest "who the hell is he Jack? Why is he doing this to me?"

Jack pulled her tighter to him, the anger at this stranger pulsing through his veins "I don't know Sam, but I promise you we'll stop him."

Her arms slid around his waist as she buried herself further into his chest. "I promise you," he whispered into her hair.

She held him tighter in response, closing her eyes tightly against the chill around the room.

Sam slowly opened her eyes momentarily forgetting where she was. She was on her side on Jacks sofa. She remembered last night with perfect clarity. How after the phone call he had steered her towards his sofa only to pull her into his arms again. They must have fallen asleep here last night, but if she was at all honest with herself, she had never felt safer in her entire life. Jack was asleep behind her, spooned against her back and an arm thrown across her waist holding her to him firmly. As he shifted in his sleep it suddenly hit her, she was lying very close to her commanding officer, and given the fact that they had come dangerously close to breaking a hundred regulations, maybe this wasn't such a good idea, Even though it felt so good. Slowly as not to wake it, she tried to move.

"Hey you awake," he asked in a gravelly voice.

"Mmm, only just," she replied softly realizing that she couldn't escape his arms, even if she had wanted to.

"Any idea what time it is?"

Lifting herself onto her elbow to look over at her watch on the floor she groaned "7.30, we'd better get up."

Not waiting for a reply, she disentangled herself from his arms and sat up on the edge of the sofa.

"How'd you sleep?" he asked softly as he lifted a hand to trace soft stroking movements up and down her back.

Turning her head so she could see his face, she regarded him with an affectionate smile. She wondered if he even realized the affect he had on her. How the mere mention of her name on his lips sent her heart into disarray. Over the past few hours they had been closer than they'd ever been before, and the most worrying thing for Sam was that she liked being cared for by him, she liked they way his arms felt around her body and most of all she liked the way his lips felt on hers, even for the briefest of moments. Jack remained prone on the sofa watching her with a worried look in his eyes. All the emotions she must be feeling were apparent in her eyes, making them almost translucent

"I slept great," she told him, trying to hide the betrayal of her feelings from him, so she turned away from him, feeling a blush rise in her cheeks " thanks for being there for me sir."

"Hey," the hand on her back stilled to give a gentle tug on her shoulder. Sam didn't object as he slowly pulled her down to him again. Sitting one the edge of his sofa, she maneuvered herself so she could lay her head on his chest, her arms sliding behind his back. Jack instinctively closed his arms around her again, one hand coming up to thread his fingers through her hair the other splayed on her back "you're not in this alone."

"I know," she smiled into his chest " thanks for letting me stay last night."

"Well my house is your house for as long as you want it Sam."

Drawing away from his arms reluctantly, she sat up again to gaze deeply into his eyes "I won't let him beat me Jack."

As she moved away, the emptiness inside her reared itself once more, this unknown stranger haunting the recesses of her mind.

Beside her, Jack pulled himself up with a groan as his back reminded him of the perils of sleeping on a sofa, as his mind thought, "oh what the hell, Sam was worth it".

"Ok," he told her as he sat up "What say we get cleaned up, grab a bite to eat and head into see Hammond?"

"Sounds good to me sir," she smiled as she watched him leave the room.

General Hammond came into the briefing room to see the three men of SG1 staring intently at their teammate. Sam for her part looked pale and tired, her hands clasped so tightly together that her knuckles were white.

Glancing from Sam to the others, Hammond pulled out his chair to sit down. The four people in the room were uncharacteristically quiet. "Ok people," he asked, breaking the silence in the room " tell me what you've got."

"Nothing," Jack told him irritated, his eyes focusing now on the general "absolutely squatch."

"Colonel O'Neill is correct Major Hammond, there was nothing to be found at Major Carters house," Teal'c spoke, his eyes still fixed on Sam.

"Major Carter," Hammond turned towards her "do you recognize the voice? Have you any indication why he chose you in particular?"

Sam was ready to scream. Hadn't she answered that question a thousand times over? Did they think she had led on some man and given him her number? Did they all think she was so stupid?

"No sir," she replied, her voice desperately trying to mask the anger.

"Sir I think Major Carter would say something if she knew him," Jack butted in, his voice fierce with protection.

Sam diverted her eyes from her hands to at last look up at her friends " I'd like to run voice tests in my lab," she suggested "maybe come up with something?" When the general didn't answer her right away she tried another ploy "please sir, this man says he smelt my perfume. If he works on the base then we'd have his voice recognition on file. I need to try something"

" Can I help?" Jonas asked from across the table. Feeling pride rise in her chest, Sam smiled at her friend affectionately, Jonas was a good man who cared about them all.

"Ok major, but you take breaks, we don't want you exhausting yourself."

Nodding in relief, Sam made to exit the room, glancing briefly back at Jack to offer a small smile. Jonas stood beside the briefing room door to hold it open for her "After you Sam," he grinned.

"Don't you think she's been through enough sir?" Jack asked as the door whispered closed "she's really rattled, and carter never gets rattled."

" Yes I do Jack, but the more we try to protect major Carter, the more she will resist our help," Hammond pushed his chair and stood to his feet "she's too much like her father, stubborn and independent."

"Well what do you suggest I do?" he asked exasperated "leave her to get on with it?"

" General Hammond is correct O'Neill," Teal'c said from his seat "major Carter is a courageous woman. If she loses that courage she will cease to be the woman we all know and admire."

" I hear ya Teal'c, I hear both of you, but you didn't see her last night, this wacko has her scared." Jack stood angrily pushing his chair backwards " I'm gonna go and help Carter, keep her in coffee or something."

Hammond nodded silently as he moved passed him, followed closely by Teal'c.

"Teal'c," Hammond spoke as the jaffa neared him " do something for me and don't let him do anything stupid."

Teal'c inclined his head in acknowledgement and returned to follow O'Neill.

Sam creaked the door of her lab open cautiously peering inside. Events over the last few hours had gotten her more jumpy than she’d realized. Pushing open the door to step inside, she took a long look around.

Everything was the same as she’d left it not 24 hours ago. Being here made her feel safe and at home, this place was her sanctuary, her lifeline.

Reaching out a hand, she ran her fingertips slowly and delicately over her desk, as if seeing it for the first time.

“Every thing’s the same as you left it Sam,” Jonas grinned from the door.

Sam spun around to face him ready to scold him for coming in unannounced but felt the corners of her mouth curve into a smile at his huge grinning face.

“I brought you this,” he thrust a steaming hot cup of coffee towards her while taking a sip of his own.

“Thanks,” she smiled brightly. Taking the offered cup she walked towards her chair and sat down.

“So,” Jonas started as he came to stand beside her “where do we start?”

Sam should have been impressed by his enthusiasm, but found herself dreading the task at hand. To find a voice match she would have to listen to the messages again in detail, then run them through the computer, something she was not looking forward to.

“ Sam if this is making you uncomfortable..”

“No,” she said quickly, more harshly than intended. “No,” she repeated in a softer tone “I’m ok to do this.”

Jonas reached out a hand to squeeze her shoulder just as loud knock sounded on her door. She jumped visibly, but shook herself “Yeah,” she called out.

The door opened to reveal Lieutenant Simmons carrying a rather large bouquet of red roses. “Major Carter Ma’am these arrived for you a few minutes ago.”

Jonas took the flowers from Simmons’ hands and handed them to Sam “They are very beautiful,” he smiled.

“Um, I’ll go now,” Simmons stuttered, almost bumping into Jack and Teal’c in his haste to leave the room “Sorry sir.”

“ S’ok Lieutenant,” he told the younger man “ Weren’t you leaving?”

“Yes, I mean. I was um… Yes sir,” Simmons stammered, as he turned away.

Jack laughed to himself; the kid had a thing for Carter. Of course, he had a thing for her, could he be capable of malicious phone calls? Struck with the idea he kicked the door closed behind him with a loud slam.

The scene to greet him turned his stomach. The roses that Simmons had presented to Sam were now strewn across the floor. He turned his eyes towards her for an explanation to see her sat bolt upright in her chair, her arms wrapped around her stomach, her face as white as a sheet.

“Carter?”

“O’Neill,” Teal’c said, his jaw clenching in anger as he spoke “it seems Major Carters assailant deemed himself fit to send her flowers.”

“Sam?” Jack slowly moved towards her, stepping on the roses, which crunched under his feet, until he was stood before her.

“ There was a message,” Jonas offered as he held out the tiny card to O’Neill. Looking up at him, Jack shook his head, and then nodded towards the door, silently telling him to take Teal’c and make themselves scarce.

It wasn’t until both men closed the door with a small click that she untangled her arms to move forward into his.

“They’re from him,” her voice and body shook with both anger and fear.

“I guessed,” he spoke into her hair as he pulled her closer into his embrace “what did the note say?”

When she didn’t answer, he pulled her slightly away to look into her eyes “Sam?”

“ The third bouquet would be on my coffin.”

Jack gasped audibly, his heart thumping wildly in his chest “I’m calling Hammond, he can find out where the damn things were sent from.” He pushed her roughly away from him, as he reached for the phone. Sam was numb, how could this be happening to her, why her? “Sir please,” she spoke softly, her voice catching in her throat.

She flinched as Jack slammed the phone down back into its cradle. Feeling her eyes shimmer with unshed tears, she refused to give in to them, refused to be beaten by this sick individual.

“Sir, I want to get started with the voice analysis right away.” When he turned towards her abruptly, she stared him in the face “if you want to stay and help I’d appreciate it, but if you’d sooner be out there yelling and screaming at everyone then would you please leave my office and let me work.”

His mouth opened to speak but no words came out. Not knowing what to do he nodded and began to walk towards the door.

Sam looked on as her heart screamed out to her “Sir,” she gasped out as his hand made contact with the door handle.

He turned to see her looking at him almost pleadingly, as if she didn’t want him to leave. Sighing heavily, he leaned his head against the doorframe then turned back towards her.

“Tell me what I can do?”

Relief shone in her eyes as he returned to her desk “ The tape from my machine has to be loaded in the computer and compared to voice patterns of SGC personnel.”

“Ok,” his voice quavered slightly as he picked up the machine and began unwrapping the cord “I can do that, the unwrapping part.”

Sam watched him as he clumsily began to unwrap the cord, reaching out a hand; she laid it on to his. His hands immediately stilled. Raising his eyes to hers once more, he was lost.

Sam smiled then gave his hand a squeeze “Thank you.”

“Yeah, I’m you know, sorry I lost it there for a while, I wanna get this nut Carter, that’s all.”

“I know,” she told him, love and respect shining from her eyes “I couldn’t do this without you.”

As if on cue the door creaked open. “Ok to come in?” Jonas asked peeping his head around the door.

“Get in here Jonas,” Jack told him, trying to hide the sudden urge to laugh.

Jonas was infectious no one could help but like him. Sam moved her chair over for him to come and stand beside her “Feel like giving me a hand?”

“Always,” Jonas rewarded her with a huge smile “just tell me what to do.”

Jack looked on silently as Sam explained to Jonas the finer points of voice analysis. As he watched them engrossed in their techno babble, he couldn’t help the sudden jealousy rear up inside him. Why the hell was he jealous? Feeling a little like a loose wheel he handed Jonas the tape from the machine. Reaching down to the desk he picked up the small card that had been discarded there “I’m gonna go find Teal’c and track down these flowers.” Without a backwards glance he reached the door to exit the room.

Sam’s eyes were on him in an instant following him until he reached the door, at once feeling empty without his presence.

“You ok Sam?” the man beside her asked worriedly as she saw her eyes still fixed onto the now closed door.

Closing her eyes and giving herself a mental shake she smiled “I’m fine Jonas. Shall we get started?”

He watched her intently as she turned away. Under that strong interior he knew she was hurting, but he had enough respect for her to leave it alone for now. So, bringing a chair over to sit beside her, he helped her get started with the analysis.

Outside Jack cursed himself. What the hell was he doing? These feelings for Sam were dangerous, so dangerous in fact that he’d almost broken the regulations last night, and if he were honest, he’d have broken them willingly.

“O’Neill,” Teal’c asked with concern.

“Hey Teal’c,” he sighed, patting his friends shoulder.

“Are you unwell O’Neill?”

“What?” he asked confused, then “Ah no, I’m good, come on buddy,” he pulled the card from the flowers out of his pocket “let’s go find Hammond.”

The door over the florist shop jingled as it opened. Jack stepped inside followed by Teal’c, who now wore a black woolen hat on his head.

“ Hello young man,” a voice came from the back of the shop as a little old lady emerged from behind the counter. Seeing Teal’c too she smiled at them warmly “What can I get you two boys?”

Jack smiled at her warmly and delved into his pocket to retrieve the small card inside.

“Actually I was hoping you could help us,” he told her “a very good friend of ours was sent some flowers from your shop and she wanted to know who sent them.”

The old woman reached out a hand to take the card from him. Moving down to the chain around her neck, which held her glasses, she lifted the small frames put them on. Reading the card she gasped, “Oh my, I certainly didn’t write that message.”

“Excuse me?” Jack asked puzzled.

“I write all the cards, well mostly all of them, my grandson was here yesterday, maybe he wrote the card,” turning away from him she moved to the little door at the back of the shop “Jerome,” she called.

Teal’c and Jack shared an amused glance. Jack mouthed the word ‘Jerome’ to Teal’c while the woman’s back was turned.

“What is it Gram?” a young man asked as he emerged from the doorway.

“Jerome these nice young men brought a card in for us to look at. I didn’t write it, maybe you did.”

Taking the card from her he grinned “Oh yeah, I remember the guy. He said it was a joke, something about his girlfriend ragging him.”

“A joke?” Jack asked, his voice raising a notch.

“Hey sorry man I was just doing my job ok?” the man said nervously as he eyed Teal’c up and down.

Teal’c moved towards Jerome who visibly gulped “ He said it was a joke between him and his girl.”

“ I assure you this is in no way amusing,” Teal’c told him menacingly.

“Ok, Murray buddy,” Jack stepped in between Teal’c and Jerome tapping his shoulder. Teal’c stopped stalking the little man and moved away for Jack to step forward.

“Can you give us a description of the guy?”

“ Not much to describe. Not very tall, dark hair and well,” he stopped to look up at them “he was wearing some sort of uniform.”

The hairs on Jacks neck stood on end “What kind of uniform?”

“ Well like khaki jacket and pants, but no writing on em, sort of weird huh?”

“Yeah weird,” Jack nodded, his heart racing “ You didn’t happen to get his name?”

“Yeah,” Jerome nodded as he walked over to the counter and pulled out a folder, “Delivery always has an address attached, and it’s one of our policies.” Flipping over the pages, he followed down the hand written lines with his index finger “ Here we go, Graham Simmons.”

Jack’s blood was beginning to boil, that little rat bastard, he was gonna kill him. Without saying a word, Jack exited the shop and stomped over to his jeep, yanking open the door he looked back over to the jeep “Murray,” he growled.

“Thank you,” Teal’c spoke to Jerome and his grand mother “you have been most helpful.”

With that he turned on his heel and raced to join O’Neill who by now was intent on spilling blood, mainly the blood of the young Lieutenant Simmons.

“What was all that about Jerome?” the old woman asked as the jeep drove off, “I know when you are lying.”

“Leave it gram,” Jerome spoke angrily as he pushed passed her “ so I know the guy, big deal.”

“So it wasn’t Graham Simmons who sent those flowers?” she asked confused.

“Nah,” he grinned, “ I did.” When he saw his grandmother staring angrily at him he moved to the back of the shop “ Graham’s been in love with the woman for years, she’s all he ever talks about, besides she got it coming.”

“ What? Why?”

“She killed my brother,” he said coldly “she killed Jonas.”

“ Jonas? What? But your mother had a telegram, it said he was killed in action.”

“Killed in action my ass,” he spat “she’s got it coming, she’ll pay for what she did to him. His life was a living hell while she was with him. Huh, she even tried to make him marry her, the bitch.”

“ Who? But…” her voice trailed off as she remembered a young woman’s face “Samantha?”

“Yeah that’s her, she dumped my brother the second she started working with her boss, the guy with gray hair,” he told her angrily “Jonas wanted her back but she blew him off, just like that. I tell you that little bitch killed him and she’s gonna pay for it.”

“Jerome, now you listen to me young man, Samantha was the sweetest, kindest girl Jonas ever went out with. If you ask me she was much too good for your brother.”

Jerome stared at her, his face suddenly red with anger. Raising his hand to strike at his elderly grandmother, he stopped just short of contacting her face “Screw this job and screw you. I don’t have to take this crap from you.” Storming passed her to grab his jacket he didn’t utter a word to her as he left the shop.

Sam rubbed her hands over her face tiredly; she had gone through hundreds of voiceprints and so far found no match to the mystery caller.

“Hey honey,” Janet smiled brightly from the doorway “how’s it going?”

Turning her head to her friend, Sam sighed, “Not good, I haven’t found a single match so far.”

“Listen,” Janet told her as she came to stand beside her “ why don’t you come home with me tonight? Cassies at her friends house and we could order a pizza, have a bottle of wine,” squeezing Sam’s shoulder she smiled again “What do you say”

“Oh Janet, I’d love to but I can’t keep running away. I have to go home sometime and I’m not letting this little creep turn me out of my own house,” turning to Janet she smiled as she patted the hand on her shoulder “as soon as I can stay in my house on my own again, I will ok?”

“Ok,” Janet smiled “but if you change your mind the offers still there ok?”

“Ok,” she grinned.

Jonas reappeared at that moment armed with sandwiches and coffee, balancing two cups of coffee in one hand.

“Here,” Sam grinned as she got up from her chair “let me take those.”

“Thanks,” he smiled as she took the two cups from him to put them on the desk.

“I’ll leave you two to it,” Janet told them as she headed towards the door “Sam remember if you change your mind.”

“I’ll call,” Sam grinned “thanks Janet.”

Janet waved as she walked out into the corridor.

“What was all that about?” Jonas asked, taking a bite of his sandwich.

“ Oh, Janet offered me to stay over at her place tonight,” Sam picked up her coffee and sipped quietly.

“And you said yes right?”

“I said no,” she told him, her voice stern “ I am going home tonight, I will not be thrown out of my own house by some idiot who gets his kicks out of terrorizing women.” Turning angrily away from him she returned to her computer.

“Sorry Sam, I was just trying to help, I thought..”

“Well you thought wrong ok, I’ve got work to do.”

Jonas regarded her quietly then came to sit by her side. He eyed her cautiously “Sorry,” he told her; reaching out to pick up the print outs on her desk.

Sam sighed heavily then turned to him “No I’m sorry Jonas, I shouldn’t be taking this out on you. I’m just so..”

“I know,” he smiled “already forgotten.”

They exchanged a smile, then returned to the work at hand.

“I’m gonna rip him apart Teal’c,” Jack growled angrily as he marched through the base “, I’ll kill him.”

“ I share your anger O’Neill and nothing would give me more pleasure than to hurt Lieutenant Simmons, but this is not the way.”

“Whose side are you on Teal’c?” Jack said angrily “this is carter we’re talking about.”

“I am fully aware O’Neill,” Teal’c told him calmly “ I am merely suggesting that you leave this matter to General Hammond.”

“ After I’ve ripped his heart out then Hammond can have him ok?” Jack stormed.

“O’Neill, I gave General Hammond my word you would not do anything rash.”

“Don’t try and stop me Teal’c,” Jack warned, “ you didn’t see her last night. That little creep scared her outta her own home, he’s got it coming,”

Jack quickened his pace as he saw Graham Simmons with a group of other airmen “Hey, stop right there,” he yelled, breaking into a run.

Simmons turned to see a very angry looking Colonel O’Neill heading his way, looking in no mood for talking. The other airmen scattered in all different directions, leaving a quivering Simmons to face the wrath on his own.

Jack seemed to charge at him with full force, pinning him against a wall, knocking all the wind out of his body.

“I’ll kill you, you little bastard.”

“Sir? What have I done?” he asked painfully, gasping for breath.

The punch that connected with his jaw buckled his knees as he sank to the floor in darkness.

Teal’c leapt forward towards Jack to put restraining hands on his arms.

“ Stop your assault O’Neill,” he told him calmly. Jack struggled for only a few seconds until reality invaded his mind and he realized what he was doing, “Get off of me Teal’c,” he said, a little more calmly.

“I am afraid I can not permit you to assault Lieutenant Simmons further.”

“Teal’c let me go ok, I’m not gonna hit him.”

“Do I have your word O’Neill?” Teal’c asked as he began to loosen his restraining grip. Jack nodded his head although his eyes still focused onto the slumped figure on the floor.

“Yeah, I won’t hit him.” Satisfied with the answer, Teal’c released his hold on his friend.

As he still lay in a crumpled heap on the floor, Graham Simmons started to groan as he slowly opened his eyes. Momentarily, he forgot where he was, until he saw the angry figure of Colonel Jack O’Neill towering over him. “Sir, I..”

“Save it,” Jack replied through gritted teeth as he grabbed his jacket collar to pull him roughly to his feet.

“But sir what did I do?” Simmons asked in a begging voice.

Ignoring him, Jack began to march him towards General Hammond’s office, Teal’c following stoically behind.

Hammond sat behind his desk engaged in a telephone conversation when Jack burst through his door to hurl a very disheveled Lieutenant Simmons towards the desk.

Stunned, the general spoke one last time into the phone “Something’s come up I’ll get back to you on that.” Replacing the handset he turned to face an angry looking Colonel “ Would you mind telling me what in gods name is going on?”

Shoving a shaking Graham Simmons in front of him Jack bit back the anger raging inside him again “Sir I suggest you lock up this low life and throw away the key.”

“What did I do?” Simmons asked, his voice quavering.

“ You know damn well, you’ve been making threats to Major Carter,” Jack told him through gritted teeth “just give me one good reason why I shouldn’t rip you apart right now?”

“What?” Simmons stuttered “ I didn’t, I have never….I would never..”

“Don’t you lie,” Jack moved towards him again until Teal’c pulled him back.

“Colonel O’Neill, a word please,” Hammond told him angrily motioning to the door “NOW”

“ After I have taught this little…”

“I said now Colonel,” Hammond warned “or would you prefer to be escorted to a holding cell?”

Jacks eyes left the young Lieutenant to look at Hammond “ I think you should be throwing Lieutenant Simmons into a holding cell SIR.”

“I will deal with Lieutenant Simmons in due course Colonel, now a word.”

Hammond stood by the open door awaiting his 2IC to follow. Angrily Jack complied, steeling Simmons a threatening look as he passed. Once they were clear and the door closed behind them Hammond was surprisingly calm “ Do you have proof?”

“Yes sir I do.”

“Good enough,” Hammond nodded as he reached for the handle of the door to return to his office, before stepping inside he spoke “Teal’c take Lieutenant Simmons to the infirmary where he is to be held under guard until I say otherwise.” Hammond commanded then reverted his eyes back towards Jack.

Taking Simmons by the arm Teal’c led him away. Jacks eyes followed his friend as he disappeared from view “General,” he began as he closed the door.

“What in gods name do you think you are doing Jack?” Hammond asked angrily “you assaulted a fellow member of staff, do you know the penalty that carries?”

“It’s him sir,” Jack protested, “he’s been calling Major Carter, frightening her half to death.”

Hammond sank into the chair at his desk regarding O’Neill for a long moment “Where is your proof? How can you be certain?”

“We traced the flowers to him, he’s the one General.”

“So you decided to act upon this information in your own way? It didn’t occur to you to come to me with this first?”

“I’m sorry General,” Jack sighed as he began pacing the floor “ I shoulda come to you first, but I saw him and I guess I lost it.”

“You are a colonel in the United States Air force, you do not ‘lose’ it,” Hammond told him angrily “what if you are wrong? Did you ever stop to consider that possibility?”

“Sir I guess I wasn’t thinking.”

“Jack,” Hammond said, his anger abating slightly “I know that Major Carter means a great deal to you, but you can not take matters into your own hands.”

“She is my friend Sir,” Jack told him, his heart hammering in his chest “I would do this for any member of my team.”

“I am sure you would,” Hammond agreed, a knowing look in his eyes “So why don’t you tell me what makes you think that Lieutenant Simmons is guilty.”

Stopping in mid pace, a glimmer of a smile tugged the corners of Jack’s mouth. Pulling out the small card from his pocket, he proceeded to fill the general in on the events.

Sam sighed heavily into her hands they were still no closer to finding her unknown assailant. She had listened to the voice on the tape over and over again, gone through hundreds of voiceprints and still nothing.

“ Why don’t you give it a rest for a while?” Jonas asked as he reached out to rub her shoulder.

“I guess I could use a break,” she agreed reluctantly as she stood up.

“We could even have your favorites ice cream,” he grinned.

Sam couldn’t help but smile; he always had the ability to make her laugh, somewhat like her commanding officer. As Jack’s face flashed in her mind, she wondered where he was, he and Teal’c had been gone an awfully long time.

“So what do you feel like? Jonas asked with a huge smile as he closed the lab door behind them.

“ I could do with a nice hot bath,” she smiled in return “but I don’t think they’d appreciate that in the co missionary!”

“ You got that right,” he told her although to witness the rest of the base’s shocked faces would be an experience. As they began walking, Sam had the nagging feeling that people were whispering as she walked passed them. She was becoming paranoid.

“Sam,” someone called from behind them. Turning, she saw a very out of breath Janet running to catch them up “where you going?” she panted, “ I was on my way to see you.”

Sam grinned at her friend “So you thought you’d run all the way to see me?”

“Haven’t you heard?”

“Heard what?” Jonas asked, looking from Janet back to Sam.

“Colonel O’Neill has gone nuts,” she explained.

“Nuts? How?” Sam’s heart was racing, what the hell was going on?

“He attacked Lieutenant Simmons in the corridor, apparently he’s the one whose been calling you.”

“Simmons?” Sam laughed dryly “Graham Simmons?”

“Yeah.”

“Come on Janet we both know he isn’t the kind of man to make threatening phone calls, he’s too,” she stopped thinking of a word “soft.”

“Sam the guy has a huge crush on you, who knows what he’s capable of?” Janet told her as she reached out to touch her shoulder “The colonel must think he’s guilty or he wouldn’t have attacked him,” she watched the changing emotions on Sam’s face.

“Sam do you think it’s possible?” Jonas asked worriedly.

“I suppose it’s possible,” Sam agreed “, but it just didn’t sound like him.”

“So you think the colonel would want his blood if he thought there was the slightest possibility that he could be wrong?” Janet asked her firmly “Come on Sam, you should be pleased, you can go home and feel safe now that the little creep won’t bother you again.”

“We should celebrate,” Jonas grinned happily.

Sam smiled briefly as Janet took her arm, pulling her towards the co missionary, she couldn’t shake the nagging doubt that clouded her mind; surely it wasn’t so simple.

Sighing with submission, she followed her two friends with the uneasy feeling still in her mind.

In the infirmary Jack paced back and forth while Hammond spoke quietly to Simmons. They spoke so softly that Jack was having trouble hearing what they were saying.

“But sir,” he heard Simmons protest “I would never do that to anyone.”

“This puts me in an awkward position son. Making personal threats to a senior officer is a very serious offence.” Jack listened with growing anger as Hammond calmly spoke to Simmons; he should have been locking him up right now not asking stupid questions.

“O’Neill,” Teal’c reached out a hand to his friends shoulder, preventing him from once again causing any harm to the young lieutenant.

Looking over his shoulder, Jack sighed, frustrated with this whole damn situation.

He was just about to leave the infirmary when two guards took hold of Simmons’ arms. He stood shakily to his feet, his face deathly pale.

“General?” Jack asked hopefully as Simmons was led away.

“I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt Jack,” The general told him “ he will be confined to quarters for 24 hours until you can give me absolute proof of his guilt.”

“ I understand sir,” Jack agreed, relief washing over him “, I’ll inform Carter we got the guy.”

“I’m sure she’ll be relieved,” Hammond smiled as he started to walk away “ Remember colonel 24 hours.”

“Yeah,” Jack agreed as he began to leave the infirmary “I got it.” Beside him, Teal’c followed, unrest settling over him. O’Neill was so sure of Simmons’ guilt; blinded purely by his feelings for major Carter.

Sam sat quietly in the co missionary idly toying with her ice cream.

“Hey,” Janet smiled, placing a hand on her arm “You ok?”

Sam looked up at her “Yeah, just tired I guess.”

“The offers still open, you can always crash at my place.”

“Thanks Janet, but if Graham was the one calling me then I can go home. I mean he’s locked up right?”

“Hey there you are,” Jack said as he slid in beside Sam’s chair “I’ve been looking for you.”

“Is it true?” she asked him.

“Ah, you heard?”

“Actually,” Jonas chipped in “we were surprised.”

“ Wasn’t too hard to track him down actually,” Jack said as he reached out to take Sam’s spoon from her hand and help himself to her ice cream “ must have disguised his voice.” No one missed the familiarity between him and her, the way they seemed so comfortable.

Sam watched him, unconsciously devouring him with her eyes. There was something very arousing about the way he ate, the way his tongue…snap out of it Sam…you know better than have those kind of thoughts

“Honey you ok?” Janet asked worriedly as she reached across to her friend “you kinda zoned out there for a second”

Sam’s face grew hot as a blush started to course it’s way up her cheeks, betraying her thoughts for all to see. She was so sure everyone was watching her, that they could see how her commanding officers close proximity affected her.

“Carter?” Jack asked beside her when she didn’t reply. He too was feeling the effects of his 2IC beside him, the heat from her body seeping into his making his already alert body aware of her presence.

Sam gave herself a mental shake, she shouldn’t be feeling this way, what they had shared last night had already become too dangerous to ever repeat, but god, he made her feel so good.

“ I-er” she began, needing to be away from him “ I think I’ll head home soon. Now that I can go home.”

Teal’c surprisingly spoke up from beside Jack, where he stood watching “I should accompany you major carter.”

“What? Why?” she asked staring up at him, then back towards Jack “you told me Simmons was locked up, so I can go home right?”

“ Well-um-I” he stuttered, silently cursing himself.

“Well?” Sam asked impatiently, looking from Teal’c to Jack then back again.

“ Hammonds given us 24 hours to nail him, so maybe just for tonight stay on base, you know..”

“What?” she asked exasperated “No I am going to go home tonight and sleep in MY bed, and watch MY tv, relax in MY bath.”

“But Carter..”

“No buts sir,” she told him as she got to her feet “I am going to go home, I’m sorry if you have a problem with that, but as you have my ‘stalker’ in custody it is safe for me to go home.”

Jack moved aside for her to pass, reluctantly letting her go. He knew she would rather stalk away to her lab than fight things out with him here. Jonas, who had been silent for all of two minutes stood too, “ I’ll go and see if she’s ok.”

Jack’s eyes leapt to his friends face, jealousy biting at his heart, if anyone should go to her it should be him. Biting the inside of his cheek, he nodded calmly to keep from reaching over to pull the other man back into his seat.

“ Keep an eye on her,” Jack nodded, feeling his stomach churning.

“I will,” he grinned as he left the table.

Silence fell over the remaining occupants on the table, all-seeming to be in their own worlds. “I gotta go,” Janet spoke first as she looked at her watch “ I’ll see you both later.” As she stood to her feet she surprisingly reached out to pat Jack’s hand “ Don’t worry colonel, she’ll be ok, Sam’s tough.”

“I’m um not,” he stammered feeling slightly uneasy at the doctors perception “ I’m not worried.”

“Course you’re not,” she grinned as she stepped away from the table, then smiling at Teal’c she left.

Jack stared open mouthed as she walked away, then turned his face towards Teal’c “Has everyone gone nuts around here?” he asked.

“I do not understand O’Neill,” he replied, looking him squarely in the face.

“ Carter and me are friends, that’s all, why can’t any of you accept that?” His fingers fiddled unconsciously with the spoon he’d taken from Sam’s hands “ I mean I’d be worried about any of you if this happened, well…not you…. so much,” he looked away “or Jonas, but I’d still be concerned.”

“You do not have to disguise your feelings for Major Carter to me O’Neill, I understand the bond you share,” standing he looked down at Jack “Should we not be researching the matter of Lieutenant Simmons guilt?”

“Yeah, I guess we should, and for the record,” Jack told him in a low voice “ I do not disguise anything.”

“Indeed,” Teal’c replied as he turned towards the door.

Jack stared after him stunned; this thing he shared with Carter was getting out of control. Hell even Teal’c was noticing. Sighing heavily, he got to his feet to follow his friend.

Hammond looked up from his desk “Come,” he called.

The door creaked open to reveal Major Carter “Sir can I have a word please?”

“Of course major,” he smiled as she came into his office and closed the door behind her.

“Sir do you think Lieutenant Simmons made those calls?”

Hammond was silent for a few moments before he spoke “ Colonel O’Neill seems sure of the fact Major, are you telling me that you are not?”

“I think that maybe it’s possible sir,” she sighed “ but I don’t know why he would have said the things he did.”

“Well Major he firmly denies any involvement, but until Colonel O’Neill tells me otherwise, he stays in confinement.”

“Yes sir,” she said looking down at her hands.

“ Why don’t you get some rest Sam, you look tired,” he told her then, his voice softening into his fatherly tone.

“ Is there any reason then why I shouldn’t be able to go home?” She asked then as her eyes came to meet his.

“ I can’t stop you Sam,” he told her “ As a precaution I would advise against it until we know for sure, but if you do decide I’d feel better if you took someone with you.”

“Sir?” she asked.

“Only a suggestion Sam, just do me a favour and consider it ok?”

“I suppose I could ask Janet,” she sighed “she invited me over to hers for the night.”

“I was thinking more on the lines of Jonas,” he told her “but don’t let me be an influence.”

“ I won’t sir,” she smiled as she stood to leave. When she reached the door she turned back to him “thank you sir.”

“Anytime Major.”

Closing the door behind her, she walked towards her lab where Jonas was still working on the voice analysis. More determined than ever to go back to her house, she would swallow her pride and ask him. After all it was only one night, and he loved her house anyway.

The nearer she came to her lab however; she had talked herself out of it. She was an officer in the USAF she could handle this. No, this she had to do herself, or the demons would haunt her forever.

Opening the door to her lab, he greeted her with a huge smile “ I thought I’d make a start, I hope you don’t mind.”

She found herself smiling in spite of everything, “ No I don’t mind at all.” She watched him for a few seconds before coming to sit down beside him. As they began to work side by side in a companionable silence, the thoughts of returning home dominated her mind. The more she thought about it the more determined she became, in half an hour, she would head for home, alone.

It was a little after 4.30 in the afternoon by the time Jack’s jeep pulled up outside the florists. Stepping out, Teal’c rearranged the hat he wore to cover his forehead. Not waiting for his friend, Jack reached the shop first. Opening the door, he walked in “ Hello,” he called “anyone here?”

Walking in behind him, Teal’c scanned the shop for movement “ It appears no one is here O’Neill.”

At that moment the old woman came out of the back “ Oh thank goodness you’re here,” she told them as she wiped her eyes with a Kleenex “, I’m afraid my grandson has done something awful.”

Coming forward to sit her down, Jack squatted down beside her “ Has he hurt you ma’am?”

“Oh no,” she told him, looking up to Teal’c then back to him “ he’s been making threats to a young woman, he said he’s going to kill her.”

Alarm bells started to ring inside Jacks head, his heart beating so loudly it almost drowned out her voice.

“ Do you know her name?” Teal’c asked, seeing O’Neill’s discomfort.

“ She’s a lovely young woman, used to date his brother a long time ago. She even went as far as agreeing to marry him,” she sniffed again “ her name was Samantha Carter, I don’t know what it is now though.”

Jack gasped out loud “Oh god, he’s after Sam, my Sam?” Looking up urgently to Teal’c he motioned him to call the base. Nodding the Jaffa stepped outside and put the cell phone to his ear.

“Oh lord, those flowers…he sent them to her didn’t he?” she was shaking visibly “you have to stop him, he’s obsessed with hurting her.”

Getting to his feet shakily Jack looked down at her “The brother, was his name Jonas by any chance?”

“Yes, it was. Did you know him?”

“Yeah, briefly,” he turned his head to see Teal’c as he came back into the shop, his face grim.

“Major Carter left over thirty minutes ago O’Neill, we must go.”

“Oh crap,” he muttered, then turned back to the woman “Look lock your door and call the police, tell them to meet us at this address,” he began scribbling Sam’s address on a scrap of paper “give them a description of your grandson and don’t open that door to him ok?”

“Alright,” she nodded, shocked tears streaking her face “please don’t let him hurt her.”

“I promise you,” he called back as they headed to the door “I’ll kill him first.”

Coming to the door, she watched as the jeep sped off then reached up to slide the heavy bolt across, then clicking the lock closed she backed away. Reaching for her telephone, she crouched behind one of the arrangements and dialed her phone “Hello,” she said, “ I need the police.”

Sam pulled up outside her house. It looked so innocent, as if nothing had happened there last night. Switching off the engine, she cautiously opened the door to take a long look around her. Except for a few parked cars, there didn’t seem any apparent danger, so locking the car door closed, she began the walk towards her door.

Everything happened so quickly that she could never have known her assailant was there. As the blow contacted her head, her legs buckled beneath her as she sank into unconsciousness.

It was a little after 4.30 in the afternoon by the time Jack’s jeep pulled up outside the florists. Stepping out, Teal’c rearranged the hat he wore to cover his forehead. Not waiting for his friend, Jack reached the shop first. Opening the door, he walked in “ Hello,” he called “anyone here?”

Walking in behind him, Teal’c scanned the shop for movement “ It appears no one is here O’Neill.”

At that moment the old woman came out of the back “ Oh thank goodness you’re here,” she told them as she wiped her eyes with a Kleenex “, I’m afraid my grandson has done something awful.”

Coming forward to sit her down, Jack squatted down beside her “ Has he hurt you ma’am?”

“Oh no,” she told him, looking up to Teal’c then back to him “ he’s been making threats to a young woman, he said he’s going to kill her.”

Alarm bells started to ring inside Jacks head, his heart beating so loudly it almost drowned out her voice.

“ Do you know her name?” Teal’c asked, seeing O’Neill’s discomfort.

“ She’s a lovely young woman, used to date his brother a long time ago. She even went as far as agreeing to marry him,” she sniffed again “ her name was Samantha Carter, I don’t know what it is now though.”

Jack gasped out loud “Oh god, he’s after Sam, my Sam?” Looking up urgently to Teal’c he motioned him to call the base. Nodding the Jaffa stepped outside and put the cell phone to his ear.

“Oh lord, those flowers…he sent them to her didn’t he?” she was shaking visibly “you have to stop him, he’s obsessed with hurting her.”

Getting to his feet shakily Jack looked down at her “The brother, was his name Jonas by any chance?”

“Yes, it was. Did you know him?”

“Yeah, briefly,” he turned his head to see Teal’c as he came back into the shop, his face grim.

“Major Carter left over thirty minutes ago O’Neill, we must go.”

“Oh crap,” he muttered, then turned back to the woman “Look lock your door and call the police, tell them to meet us at this address,” he began scribbling Sam’s address on a scrap of paper “give them a description of your grandson and don’t open that door to him ok?”

“Alright,” she nodded, shocked tears streaking her face “please don’t let him hurt her.”

“I promise you,” he called back as they headed to the door “I’ll kill him first.”

Coming to the door, she watched as the jeep sped off then reached up to slide the heavy bolt across, then clicking the lock closed she backed away. Reaching for her telephone, she crouched behind one of the arrangements and dialed her phone “Hello,” she said, “ I need the police.”

Sam pulled up outside her house. It looked so innocent, as if nothing had happened there last night. Switching off the engine, she cautiously opened the door to take a long look around her. Except for a few parked cars, there didn’t seem any apparent danger, so locking the car door closed, she began the walk towards her door.

Everything happened so quickly that she could never have known her assailant was there. As the blow contacted her head, her legs buckled beneath her as she sank into unconsciousness. Her attacker laughed to himself triumphantly as he dragged her limp body to the car by the side of her house.

“Now you’re gonna pay,” he spat as he threw her into the trunk. Taking some rope from the front seat, he began to tie up her hands tightly, carelessly pulling the rope so tight that it dug into her flesh.

“My brother’s gonna kick your ass,” he grinned evilly “he’s waiting for ya you know, boy is he gonna be pissed at you.” Reaching up to the top of the trunk, he slammed it down hard, locking it automatically. He moved purposely, pulling a tube from the back seat and bending to fit it over the exhaust pipe on the car. He grinned to himself as he stuck the other end into a small hole in the trunk “ Let’s see how your colonel loves you now bitch.” He knew she’d be waking soon, and he sure wanted her awake so he could hear her scream. Hopefully it’d be in time for her boyfriend to get here. Laying his hands down onto the trunk he let them linger over the hard metal, then ducked down into the bushes to wait for her lover to arrive.

Jack drove up to Sam’s house relieved to see her car on the road outside. Bringing the jeep to a stop he looked over at the house. He didn’t notice the car parked just to the side of her house or the man hiding in shadows.

“Teal’c, I got a bad feeling about this.”

“ As have I O’Neill,” he replied as he stepped out onto the road. In an instant he was beside Jack, matching him stride for stride as they reached Sam’s door.

“Sam,” Jack called as he banged on the door “ It’s me.”

Teal’c moved over to the windows to peer inside “Major carter,” he called.

“Anything?” Jack asked him, worry beginning to eat into his heart.

“Nothing, there appears to be no one inside.”

“SAM,” Jack yelled again, this time turning around to face the road. As he turned his foot struck something hard. Turning his eyes downwards he saw a bunch of keys glinting on the floor. He stared at them for a long moment before bending to retrieve them “God Sam,” he breathed sharply as he clutched them tighter into his palm.

“O’Neill,” Teal’c spoke from his side “I believe your law enforcements have arrived.”

“About damn time,” he snapped, running down onto the path to meet the cars.

Sam slowly started to wake. Opening her eyes to blinding pain that soared through her like burning flame, she had to blink them back tightly to ease the rolling waves of nausea that hit her.

Cautiously, she tried to move her hand to the back of her neck but couldn’t move it. The pain in her wrists was almost unbearable.

“Oh god,” she gasped aloud, fear gripping at her heart as she realized her hands were bound. Her eyes searched the darkness wildly looking for something, anything to give her an idea of where she was. She was cold, damp and confined, tied up in a space no bigger than a trunk. Oh god no, realization began to form in her mind she was in a car. Frantically she began to kick down as hard as she could, screaming for help for anyone to hear her, but the only thing to answer her was silence. “ HELP MEEEE,” she screamed again, her scream turning to a sob “Jack,” she whispered in shaking breaths “ Jack.”

Something banged the side of the car and she was sure she could hear someone laughing “LET ME OUT OF HERE,” she screamed, kicking at the trunk at the same time. “ LET ME OUT.”

That was when she heard it; the engine firing into ignition causing fumes to pour into her already confined space. Coughing, she kicked upwards to try to pop the trunk but it was locked tight. As she fought for breath, her eyes stung, closing them to the smoke now pouring in, her last conscious thoughts were of Jack, the man she should have taken a chance with, the man she loved. Darkness encased her as she felt herself slipping deeper and deeper into unconsciousness as her lungs fought for breath.

Jerome hearing her grow quiet took the opportunity to make his escape. What he hadn’t counted on though was the arrival of the police, so when he began to creep out from where the car was parked he was confronted with flashing lights and police dogs.

He surveyed the scene wildly, a sweat beginning to form on his brow. He had to get away and fast. The body was meant to be found by her boyfriend, not all these police. He had to take a chance now to get away and make it fast. Making a run for it, he dashed out from the shadows, speeding away and not looking back. Teal’c heard rather that saw him first. A dark figure running from the scene.

“O’Neill,” Teal’c began to run after the dark figure moving away.

Jack was way ahead of him, he too breaking into a run. Jerome heard footsteps behind him and quickened his pace.

“Hey you stop right there,” Jack shouted to him as he ran faster.

Jacks heart beat wildly as he threw himself onto Jerome and brought him to the ground. Pulling him roughly around to face him the sheer rage flowed within him like fire. Jerome’s jaw came into contact with Jacks fist, as he pounded blindly into him, one blow followed by another.

Jerome writhed on the ground, trying to get away from the angry man towering over him.

“Where is she you bastard?” Jack seethed, bringing his fist up again ready for a major blow. He was prevented, by Teal’c who grabbed his arm “ You must desist O’Neill, or you will cause further damage.”

“That’s the whole god damn point Teal’c now get the hell offa me.” Jack was seething with pure rage “tell me where she is.”

“Colonel O’Neill,” an officer ran towards him breathlessly “sir we’ve found her.”

Abandoning the cowering figure at his feet Jack turned to run back towards the house, leaving Teal’c and the officer to pull Jerome to his feet.

“ What happened?” the officer asked as he saw the blood seeping from Jerome’s face.

“He merely fell,” Teal’c answered, “ I was assisting.” He dragged Jerome beside him by the lapel of his jacket back towards the police car.

“This is the man you seek,” he told the officer as he shoved Jerome roughly into the car. “Do not let him escape.”

Numbly the officer nodded as he reached into the car to cuff the prisoner.

“I hope the bitch is dead,” Jerome cackled through blood stained teeth. He coughed a little as more blood trickled out of the side of his mouth.

Teal’c turned to him, his jaw twitching in anger; he never saw the blow coming as Teal’cs fist smashed into his jaw. Jerome collapsed unconscious into his seat, sinking into darkness.

Jack ran towards the medical team who by now had Sam’s limp body on the floor. He stopped dead in his tracks as he saw them performing CPR on her. Moving as close to her as the medics would allow he caught sight of her injured hands, a sign of what she must have been through “Sam,” he shuddered as he fell to his knees beside her “baby fight this,” he begged, his eyes fixed onto her pale face “don’t you dare die you hear me, that’s an order.”

“We got a pulse,” the medic cried triumphantly “ ok people get her onto her side.”

Jack watched her intently, his eyes never leaving her. She was so silent, her eyes still closed, she looked dead and cold.

Relief flooded through him as she began coughing violently, opening her eyes frantically pushing all the hands away from her.

“It’s ok Major Carter, you’re safe,” a medic told her.

Still pushing away from them, her arms, which were now free, flailed aimlessly at anyone in her way. Jack came to her in a heartbeat “Sam,” he told her, his voice cracking with emotion “Sammie.”

Stopping in her tracks, she looked towards him, as a wave of coughing overtook her body in whacking great shudders. Still coughing, she pulled herself to her knees and began to crawl painfully towards him, ignoring the pains in her wrists, and chest.

He met her half way, pulling her into his arms as they both crouched on the floor rocking each other, both awash with tears.

Her coughing subsided, but she held him tighter feeling the warmth of his body seep into hers. Then because it didn’t matter anymore and because she’d almost lost this she leaned into his chest “I love you,” she told him, her voice hoarse and sore, but she knew he’d heard her because he pulled her tighter into him.

Closing his eyes tightly, his heart beating wildly, he’d heard her say the words he had wanted to hear for so long and he promised a silent promise that they would be together from now on, come what may….



2 DAYS LATER

Janet closed Sam’s door and put her overnight bag on the floor “Sam?” she called, beginning to walk into the kitchen “Sam?”

“Janet?” she came out from the bathroom wrapped in her white robe looking refreshed and glowing. “What are you doing here?”

“ I thought I’d come by and stay with you tonight, it’s your first night home and I didn’t want you to be here alone,” she started to undo her coat and walked towards the kettle.

“Janet, that’s nice,” Sam told her “but you see…”

“No Sam, you went through a terrible ordeal, and I’m not having you telling me that you’re ok and that you’re fine on your own,” Janet cut her off before she could finish.

Sam sighed in frustration, how could she tell her? “Janet that’s what I’m trying to tell you.”

Stopping what she was doing, Janet turned to her, giving her undivided attention.

“ I’m not going to be,” Sam started to blush at her friend’s scrutiny “I’ve got someone coming to stay.”

“What?” she gasped “Oh god honey I’m soo sorry.” Grabbing her coat hastily and pulling it on she reached out to hug her firmly “call me if you need me ok?”

“I will,” Sam smiled “thanks for thinking of me, it’s nice to know you came.” She walked her to the door almost shoving her out of it.

“Bye honey, I’ll leave you to it then,” she grinned as she began her walk down the path to her car. Turning, she noticed Sam had closed the door already. Smiling to herself happily, she wondered how long Sam and the colonel could keep this secret. She glanced back to the house one last time before driving away.

“I thought she’d never go,” Jack grinned as he came up behind Sam to wrap his arms around her from behind.

“Mmm,” she smiled “she just wanted to check on me.”

Turning in his arms to face him, she moved her arms up around his neck to encircle him possessively “ I told her I wasn’t going to be alone.”

Jacks eyes left hers for a moment to glance down at the ugly sore marks embedded in her skin from the ropes. Leaning down he kissed her wrists softly.

“I’m fine Jack,” she told him firmly, bringing his eyes back to hers “ you found me.”

“God Sam,” he shook, closing his eyes to stop her from seeing his tears “I almost lost you.”

“Jack look at me,” her voice was a mere whisper, luring him back to her “ I’m here, I’m whole, and I’m yours.”

A tear broke free to snake its way down Jacks cheek. He pulled her to him in a crushing embrace “ I love you so much.”

Closing her eyes tightly, she held him close “ We’re together, that’s all that matters. You and me against the world remember?”

Laughing on a sob he moved away so he could see her eyes “ What did I do to deserve you?”

“You loved me,” she smiled, her own tears streaming down her face “you turned me into who I am.” Leaning up to kiss his nose, she moved away to hold onto his hands.

Jack gazed at her in awe; she had been through so much but still found enough love in her heart to want him. Smiling now, he leaned down to kiss her lips soundly “ Are you tired?”

Sam chuckled lightly “ Oh yeah,” she smiled “I think you need to take me to bed again.”

Holding onto one of her hands he smiled down at her and led her to her bedroom “Can’t have you getting all tired on me.”

“Oh there’s no chance of that,” she smiled as she willingly followed.

Life was going to be ok from now on; she thought happily, as they closed the bedroom door behind them…….