samandjack.net

Story Notes: Email: kathalcyon@hotmail.com

Season/Sequel Info: Takes place in "Point of View"

Spoilers: Pretty major ones for "Point of View." Minor ones for "Solitudes," "Hathor," and "Into the Fire." Even though I never saw "Solitudes" and I barely remember "Hathor."

Archive: Sam and Jack and Heilopolis. Anyone else, ask. I can't think of a reason that I'd say no.

Author's Notes: Sorry about the title… I can never think of names for my stories.


Jack left Dr. Carter's office with a tumultuous mind. He was confused, just as he had told her. He didn't know what to think.

It had been heart-wrenching, seeing her face - so like that of his second-in-command - in such pain from losing him.

He didn't know how to react to that. Daniel had told them that, in the reality he had gone to, General O'Neill and Dr. Carter had been engaged. But what were the odds of it happening in two separate realities?

Jack noticed his Carter walking down the hallway.

"Sir, General Hammond told me the news. I took the liberty of informing Major Kawalsky."

Oh, good. That meant he wouldn't have to. He didn't need another episode like he had with Dr. Carter.

"Thank you. I was just on my way to do that."

"I thought I'd drop in on…" Captain Carter seemed confused as to what to call her double. "Samantha. See how she's doing."

Uh-oh! That might not be the best idea.

"She's fine. I think she'd rather be left alone at the moment."

"Oh. All right. Good night, Sir."

Wait… If Dr. Carter was having a tough time with this, Captain Carter might be too. "Carter…"

"Yes, Sir?"

"How are you doing with this twin thing?" He watched her face closely.

"Do you have a couple hours?"

"Ok…" he replied after a short pause.

"That was the answer, Sir." Oh. She had been sarcastic. His influence was rubbing off on her.

"If you do need someone to talk to, Carter, I'm here for you. You know that."

"I wouldn't want to impose, Sir." The perfect soldier to the last.

"You wouldn't be imposing."

She paused a moment. "If you really don't mind… Thank you Sir. That would be really nice."

"Here, come to my office. We won't get more privacy anywhere on base." She nodded and, in silence, they walked the short distance to his office.

Jack's desk was piled high with paperwork. Sam smiled. Knowing the Colonel, only a very small part of that paperwork would ever get done.

Jack sat down at his desk, and Sam sat in front of it. She nervously crossed her legs, and looked at her hands, which were neatly folded on her lamp.

"Well, Sir," she began.

He interrupted her. "Why do you do that?"

"What?" she was startled; she looked up and met his gaze.

"Why do you always call me Sir? You know, when I first saw Dr. Carter, the main thing that told me something was off, even more than the hair-" Sam smiled at that. "-Was the fact that she called me Jack."

"You want me to call you Jack?"

"Well, you could."

"You never call me Sam," she pointed out.

"I do sometimes. And at least I don't call you 'Sir' all the time."

Sam laughed. "Thank you. Jack," she added.

"You're welcome. Now go on," he urged her. "I believe you were at, 'Well, Sir.'"

"I think the reason I'm having such a hard time with this whole thing is because Samantha represents all the opportunities I missed, all the different things I could have become. She's proof that somewhere, there are versions of me that are… who even knows what they are. She represents all the things I could be, but I'm not."

Listening to this, Jack wondered if he should tell Sam that the alternate version of her had been married to the alternate version of him. He decided against it. He couldn't think of any way it would help.

"Carter… what you are is pretty great." She looked a touch skeptical at that. "I'm not just saying that," he assured her. "You really are. If it weren't for you, I'd probably be dead."

"How do you figure that?"

"Well, when we ended up at the Antarctic Gate? I could easily have died there."

"Daniel's the one that found us."

"Yeah, but you set my leg… you melted me ice…"

"As I recall, you did most of the ice-melting." She smiled.

"It doesn't matter. The point is, Major, that if it hadn't been for you, I doubt I would have survived."

"Sir…"

"You saved me from Hathor, remember? Both times!"

"Sir, I don't see what you're getting at."

"Carter, if it weren't for you, I would be dead. Danny and Teal'c, too. I don't know what's up with that reality, but I am very, very happy that this version of you is in my life."

"That is the sweetest thing any one has said to me in a long time. Thank you very much."

"It wasn't a problem." Jack glanced at his watch. "Come on. Hammond wanted to see us."



The End.