samandjack.net

Story Notes: Authors Notes: This is my first attempt at a Stargate story. If its lousey, I'll stop. If you like it and would like for me to continue, I will probably need feedback.


Sam stumbled out of the event horizon into SGC just slightly behind the rest of her team, SG-7. She had been on temporary lone due to the fact that Daniel was still recovering from their last mission, and SG-7 had needed a scientist for their trip. Normally this one would have gone to SG-1, but Hammond had felt that SG-7, under new command, needed to broaden their horizan. It had been a trip she wanted to forget, but knew that it would be sometime before she would be able to do that. If nothing else the arm that she held tightly to her chest would remind her.

Sam had guessed she should feel fortunate to have not encountered this severe an attitude earlier in her military career. She had run into her fair share of men that postured, but never someone that was openly callus and cruel.

Taking a deep breath Sam forced her thoughts back to the present, and worked to hide her grimace of pain from those in the embarkation room. She had become adept at hiding her pain over the last 48 hours, and she was determined not to lose it now. Col. Ellers had made it quiet clear to her that he expected to debrief first and do medical checks after. He did not want to delay wrapping up this mission for any reason. To him the mission wasn't complete until the debriefing was done. Sam had no doubt the words she would hear, if anyone detected her pain before the debrief.

Captain Samantha Carter held herself together by sheer will as she tried to lower gentley into a chair in the conference room. She had hoped that she had performed well enough for Ellers to leave her alone, but it was hard to tell. Sam knew that Col. Ellers could make life difficult for her even if he wasn't her C.O. She knew that she had earned the respect of O'Neill, but that as far as the rest of the base went SG-1 was still comprised of a retiree, a geek, an alien, and a woman. Not the usual assortment for a military establishment.

The debriefing concluded and Sam realised that she had heard little of the exchange. The room had emptied and she found that she was now free to go see Janet. She made her way slowly to the infirmary, the last of her sheer will steam running low. The infirmary was quiet when she entered, the rest of the team opting for showers first, this was a relief to Sam.

"Janet," Sam spoke softly, leaning against the door of Dr Frasier's office.

"Hey Sam! Ready for your medical?"

"Yeah,"she responded, grimacing as she straightened to follow Janet.

"Sam, are you okay," she asked, noticing the grimace.

"Um. Not really. I broke my arm I think."

"Sam!" Janet hissed, noticing the right arm she held clutched to her chest. "Why didn't you report right away."

"Long story, could I tell it after you give me something for pain. This hurts like hell."



-----------------------------------------------------------------------



Janet led Sam to a bed near the back of the infirmary. She wanted her to have the privacy to talk when she was ready. Janet watched her friends face carefully as she set about to examine the arm.

"OH, God Janet, this really hurts."

"I know Sam. How long ago did this happen?" Janet asked the question casually as she cut the shirt off her arm to get a better look.

"Umm, two days ago," she mumbled softly between grunts of pain.

"What!" Janet shouted, losing her calm facade. "What were you thinking? It isn't splinted or supported at all."

"Janet I know. We were under fire at first, and then Col. Ellers thought we needed to keep moving. It just never took priority. It's alright isn't it. I mean it seemed to be a clean break."

Janet heard the anxiety creeping into her friends voice and nodded to her reassuringly.

"Yes Sam. I think it may take longer though. There is a lot of swelling. I'm going to need to set your arm and allow the swelling to go down before I can put a permanent cast on."

As Janet spoke she started an IV in Sams left hand. She would need pain meds and muscle relaxants before she could set the arm. Having to hold the arm in place for 48 hours had caused most of the surronding muscles in her arm, shoulder and back to spasm. Those muscles would have to release before she could set the arm. Janet watched as the pain lines around Sam's mouth slowly disappeared, she knew there was more to the story, but now was not the time.

"Sam, I'm going to let you rest a few minutes, give the meds a chance to work. I'll be right back."

Sam nodded as she allowed her eyes to drift shut. She was beginning to relax and it felt good to feel the pain recede for the first time in days. She could worry about everything else later.



-----------------------------------------------------------------------



Jack entered Janet Frasier's office hoping to find Capt. Carter. He wanted to find out how her mission with SG-7 had gone. He had not had the chance to speak with anyone since the team had arrived. His smile began to fade when he caught sight of FRasier, she appeared angry enough to throw the pouch in her hand. Never one for subtle he barged in anyway.

"Hey Doc. What's the matter. You look mad enough to give Teal'c a run for his money?"

"Colonel," she greeted distractedly. "I think I am that mad. This pouch is full. Not a single pill or Vial of Morphine or Demerol used."

"Well thats good isn't it," he asked in confusion.

"Not when one of the team comes back with a broken arm, an arm that has been broken for two days."

"What?" Outrage creeping into his tone. "Who?"

"Sam. She came in here, after debriefing with a broken arm that has been injured for two days, no splint or support, and now I find this."

"I'm going to kill him," Jack choked out between gritted teeth as he whirled towards the exit.

"Colonel. Wait," janet called after him.

"I think that will only upset Sam. She obviously doesn't want to talk about it. I think we should get the full story. Then I'll help you kill him."

"Alright. Can I see Sam?"

"After I finish with her arm. I had to give her some heavy meds, but I would like to get her home tonight if I can. I believe she will rest better. Could you dirve her home and stay with her until I get there."

"I'll stay with her Janet. Maybe I can get her to tell me what happened."

"Okay, I'll call you when she is awake."

Janet turned away from the seething Jack, pleased that he would look after Sam that evening. He might be just what the doctor ordered.



-----------------------------------------------------------------------



Jack entered the infirmary towards early evening. He had not heard from Janet, but was starting to get worried. He had assumed that Sam would be awake by now. Nearly all the other personel that could leave base where gone. Jack had even spoken briefly to Daniel. If not for the situation Jack would have found it amusing to see Daniel that angry, but this situation was far from amusing.

"Doc," Jack called catching sight of Janet. "Is Sam all right?"

"Yes Colonel, but I had to give her more than normal to get those muscles to relax. She's awake now, but still rather unsteady. It might be best if I kept her here tonight."

"What does Sam think of that?"

"She's not very happy with me, but I'm not all that sure she could walk to the car?"

"If we could get past her ability to walk would she be in any danger at home?"

"No. She's awake enough to talk and drink, so she can protect her airway, she's just not steady on her feet."

"Doc, I'm bigger then she is. I think I could handle that even if I had to carry her. Would she relax more in her own bed."

"Certainly."

"Than maybe she would talk. I for one want to get to the bottom of this."

"I do to Colonel, but don't push her."

"I won't. Can I see her?"

"Right this way."

Janet led Jack back to Sam's bed, she was sitting up and the arm was in a bulky wrap. She looked none to happy until she saw the Jack.

"Colonel. Please tell me you came to spring me sir."

"As a matter of fact I did, but you'll have to put up with my company."

"I don't mind your company sir, but aren't you to making a big deal out of this. I can take care of myself."

The words were spoken lightly, but both Janet and Jack detected a brief moment of panic.

"Hey, Carter. Nobody's grading you on this. Nor are we keeping score. Relax and look at as a way of bossing your Colonel around. You won't get the oppurtunity often."

Sam smiled weakly at his efforts to make her relax, "Okay, thanks sir. I do want to get home."

"Okay Sam. I'll send one of the nurses in to help you get dressed while I give the Colonel your perscriptions," Janet said as she turned to leave.

Jack listened carefully to the directions on elevating the arm, and pain meds. He understood that swelling was a problem and that he would neeed to check her fingers for perfusion etc. It was what Janet didn't say that occupied his thoughts. He knew from personal experience that her arm hurt like a mother, he could deal with that. It was what had happened on the mission that no one knew yet that had him concerned. It was simply inconceivable to him to allow a team member to go that long with no care, and in pain, if you could do something about it. He wanted to know why Ellers had allowed it to happen, and why Sam had allowed it to happen. What was she trying to prove?

Prove, surely not, it couldn't possibly be that obvious. Jack shook his head, he had a team member to get home.



-----------------------------------------------------------------------



Jack shook his head in resignation as he watched his stubborn Captain go head to head with Janet over a wheelchair. He personally could not understand it, as he was always relieved enough to escape the infirmary, he usually didn't argue over the means. Then again, Sam usually didn't get that upset either. It was as he thought this to himself that he heard her next words to Janet.

"Janet Frasier, I will not be seen as a simpering female that can't walk because she broke her arm."

"Sam, you aren't steady enough to walk, if you'll just be reasonable."

Jack held up his hands for silence, he would have to support Sam on this one, even if Frasier wouldn't like it.

"Okay you two, I'm calling a tie. Sam we'll let you walk, with me as your escort. I just want you to understand, if you start to fall or something I will be forced to carry you. I can not just leave you lying in the hall. This could end up being worse on the old dignity than the chair."

"I'll take my chances, sir."

Janet threw up her hands in disgust as Jack helped Sam to her feet, watching in concern as her friend swayed and paled just a bit more.

"You sure about this Sam," Janet asked one more time.

"Yes. I'm fine," she forced out between clenched teeth.

The walk to the parking deck had never seemed so long to Sam. The halls seemed to constantly shift just slightly, and the feeling left her weak and nauseous. She prayed desperately for the walk to end before she disgraced herself on the Colonels shoes. Since things had gone from bad to worse just a couple of days ago, Sam had longed for the privacy of her apartment. She wanted the oppurtunity to cry, and cuss the male dominant world. Being watched over by one of those dominant males had not figured into the equation. Yet if she was being honest with herself, she didn't mind being with the Colonel. In fact, she kind of liked it.

Sam allowed herself a smile as they approached the Colonel's jeep, and he began to help her in the car. She could not believe the tender care he used to make sure she was settled, with the offending arm securely supported.

"Okay Sam. Here we go, I'll try to take it easy on the bumps."

Sam offered a smile at her Colonel as they pulled out of the parking deck.

Sam sat with her eyes clenched shut as they pulled up outside of her apartment building. The car trip home having been more painful than she had anticipated. She knew that she had to get to the privacy of her bedroom before she lost her near constant battle against tears of pain. She was grateful that the Colonel went to unlock her door before helping her inside, just those few minutes helped her to pull it together.

Jack sat down on the couch in Sam's apartment. Sam was currently asleep in her bedroom, between the drive and the drugs, she was out as soon as her head touched the pillow. He was taking this respite to prepare for what lay ahead. Even though he had known Carter less than a year, he felt he could read her well. It was important in the field that that be the case. He knew now that she was holding herself too stiffly. Hiding behind a military personna that she usually reserved for a fight with the enemy. The rest of SG-1 got to see Carter the scientist, military Captain, and woman. Carter had never been ashamed of being a woman, never hidden behind a personna to fit in, at least not since he'd met her. She always gave as good as she got, and ever since that first mission he'd never worried about having a woman cover his back. Never actually even thought about it, he didn't need to, she was alway's there. So he worried even more about her behaviour now, and resigned himself with waitng until morning to discover the problem. He didn't need to be as smart as Sam and Daniel to know he wouldn't like it.



-----------------------------------------------------------------------



Sam woke slowly, pain and hunger pulling her to conciousness. Checking her clock she realized it was 4 in the morning. The apartment was quiet and dark, which Sam took to mean that the Colonel had left after all. Truth be told that both pleased and disappointed her. She liked her Colonels company, but she didn't want him to find out what had happened with Ellers. Shaking her head to rid herself of unwanted thoughts, she rose to head to the kitchen. The drugs Janet had given her were fully out of her system, which was a mixed blessing. She was no longer dizzy, but her arm really hurt. Janet had warned her that it would be that way until the swelling went down and it could be casted. Not that casting was a cure all, but it would help alot. Oh well, a little food, and one of the pills Janet had sent would help alot.

Sam was surprised to find a lamp on in her den, and a colonel asleep on her couch. 'He hadn't left afterall', she thought, a smile crossing her face. She knew he must be tired so she headed for the kitchen quietly. It was there that reality set in. She had broken her right arm, her dominant arm. She could barely do anything as she circled the room in frustration. She couldn't even open the medicine bottle, with their damn child-proof caps. Where was a child when she needed one? Sam slumped at her table staring at the bottle of pills. Her arm was only getting worse, and staring at the medicine wasn't helping. The logical thing to do would be to wake Jack, but she couldn't bring herself to do that.

Damn Colonel Ellers! She couldn't remember the last time someone made her feel like this. Oh, he had been careful. Never saying anything in front of one of the other guys, but he got his point across just the same. She was a women, he didn't believe she could hold her own. She would have to work twice as hard, twice as long to prove herself. His words to her after crossing the event-horizon had set the tone for the entire mission.

Everyone had spread out when the colonel stopped her. 'Dr. Carter,' he had said. 'You may be a scientist, but your also military. There won't be any free rides. I don't need a weak link in the field, so you had better be up first, to bed last, and the first one to jump when I tell you how high. Do I make myself clear? Because we aren't on a sunday trip to the mall.' It had been the last comment that had made her certain; that unlike the Colonel, it was women, not scientists that he had a problem with. She had worked hard to have a smooth, flawless mission, but it wasn't to be.

It was no ones fault that things had gone sour, by all reports the natives were primative. They weren't supposed to have weapons, or the desire to use them, but they had. It had happened quickly, one minute she was laying down cover fire for a team-mate, the next she was falling in a tumble of rocks. Her team-mate was fine and she had been lucky not to have been seriously injured. Apparently Ellers wasn't that forgiving.

The team had beat a hasty retreat until they were well away from the scene of the attack. They stopped to regroup, determined that they weren't being followed, when she had decided to go for the first aid bag. It had seemed to be a good time, but Ellers hadn't agreed. She truely couldn't remember his exact words, but the point had been clear. If she couldn't keep up with his team, without help, he would make sure she didn't work for another team. He would not see a fellow military officer lose his life due to a weak link, a woman.

Thus it had been. Sam never said another word, unless duty related. She stood her watch, and marched with the rest, and not a single tear or moan of pain escaped her. Sam wasn't sure what about this man made her feel threatened, but something did. She usually could stand up to bullies and testosterone dripping military men, but this man bothered her. She wanted to do what he expected and not call attention to herself, because deep within, she knew it wasn't over yet.

Sam sighed to herself as she came back from where her thoughts had taken her. Unfortunately those thoughts hadn't gotten the pill bottle open, and her arm was killing her. Every muscle in her shoulder, back, and neck screamed in pain. It was time to wake the Colonel. He would help her, and maybe help chase away the shadows for just a little while.



-----------------------------------------------------------------------



Sam made her way into her den where the Colonel lay sleeping. She still hated to wake him, but she knew he would understand. Having to survive the pain when there was no other choice was one thing, but enduring it with a bottle of unabtainable pain pills in your hand was another.

"Colonel," she called softly, not wanting to startle him.

Jack was awake almost instantly. "Sam, are you alright," he asked, observing her pale face in the dim light.

"Yeah, I mean, sort of--I didn't want to wake you sir, but my arm really hurts and I couldn't open the bottle," she admitted, her voice soft, and eyes downcast.

"Sam, look at me," he said, stopping until she lifted her face. "This is why I stayed. Don't be sorry. Curl up on the couch, I'll get you a glass of water and open the pills. Then what do you say to some food, you must be hungry."

"That would be great," she replied. "I'm starving."



-----------------------------------------------------------------------



Sam finished her soup and sat back against the couch with a sigh. She had been up for nearly and hour, and the Colonel had caught her up on the goings on at the SGC during her mission. He had carefully avoided asking what had happened, and she appreciated that. She knew he would ask, but at least he was giving her time to get her equilibrium back.

"Feeling better," he asked when he heard her sigh.

"The arms not as bad, but I may have to declare my neck and shoulders casualties of war."

"Janet said you where tied up in knots, here, scoot forward a little," he said as he circled around behind the couch. Sam didn't expect the touch of his hands on her shoulders, and stiffened at the contact.

"Colonel, you.."

"Hush," he interrupted. "Let me help. I won't hurt you. This will help, and then you can go back to bed, with your heating pad, and you should feel much better by the time the guys bring breakfast in the morning."

"Huh," she muttered, confused.

"Danny and Teal'c, they're bringing breakfast in the morning. Sam, I'm not going to ask you anything yet, but it's obvious something happened out there. You have to feel comfortable in telling me what so I can help, as your Colonel and your friend. In the mean time, your one of the team, and we take care of our own."

"Just one of the guys?"

"Well, depends on what you mean. Your certainly prettier than the guys, but you pull your weight. When it comes to the function of the team as a unit, then yeah, your one of the guys. That doesn't mean we don't know your a woman. Being a smooth functioning military team is more than gender. You have nothing to prove to us, you do know that?"

"Yeah, I do. Colonel, thanks. I mean it."

"Well as long as we have that straight. You will tell me what happened later."

"Later," she responded, smothering a yawn.

"Good, for now let's get you tucked in bed."

Sam smiled slightly as she began to drift to sleep. It had been fun watching Jack rummage in her closet for the heating pad. If she wanted to admit it, it was nice having him here, looking after her. He also made her feel better, but she still didn't look forward to telling him about the mission. She would have to, but it could wait. Right now she was almost asleep, visions of her Colonel drifting through her thoughts. It was the drugs, she excused herself, smiling at a particularly nice vision.



-----------------------------------------------------------------------



Jack let Daniel and Teal'c into Sam's while holding his finger to his lips.

"Keep it down kids, Sam is still asleep," Jack whispered.

"How is she," Daniel asked, not even trying to hide his concern.

"Pretty good. She only woke once last night, so either her arm doesn't hurt too bad, or she's exhausted. Something has gotten her upset though, but she hasn't spoken of it at all."

"Well, we'll all keep an eye out for her until Monday. We brought plenty of food and movies," Daniel declared eagerly.

Sam woke to murmurings in her den, but it didn't worry her. She knew the guys had made themselves at home. Sam got up and stuck her head into the room.

"I'm up now so you guys can quite whispering. I'm going to get dressed, but then I hope for that breakfast I was promised," Sam joked, her chipper tone not as forced as it would have been the day before.

"I'm going to see what's keeping Sam," Jack remarked some 45 minutes later. He knocked lightly on the bedroom door, and pushed it open slowly when he got no response.

"Jacks going to be upset with you," Sam was saying to herself in the mirror. "He would expect you to stand up for yourself. Hell, who am I kidding, I expected myself to stand up better than that. Sam, you've never backed down like that before, what about this guy scares you," she asked her reflection in the mirror. "Some help you are," she mumbled, throwing a washcloth at the silent mirror image.

Jack listened to the soft spoken words before deciding to make some noise. He couldn't let her know that he'd heard, but it made him all the more determined to get to the bottom of the mystery.

"Sam, you okay," he called from the doorway. "Cause breakfasts ready and the movie is in."

"Coming," she called as she left the bathroom. She could at least enjoy this Saturday with her friends.



-----------------------------------------------------------------------



Monday morning came quickly enough. Jack drove her to the SGC that morning. Janet was going to put a permanent cast on her arm, and then she would do paperwork in her lab. Jack had already told her he would drive her home that evening as SG-1 was grounded until at least Daniel was cleared for off world duty. Jack expected that to be anyday now as Daniel was much better, his injury almost completely healed. Until then, it was great to get off the base at night. Sam knew when her team was cleared for off world duty she would have to stay on base if for no other reason than transportation. In actuality it had more to do with not being that far away from her team. At least when she was on base, she felt closer because of the Stargate.

Monday early evening found Sam venturing topside to the parking deck to wait for Jack. She needed a little fresh air, as she had felt unaccountably uneasy all day. Sam never expected the arm that reached out from the shadows to grab her cast, and the sudden pain of jerking that arm left her stunned. She was pushed up against the wall, still held by her cast, only to find herself face to face with Ellers.

"Colonel, What are you doing?"

"Oh can it Captain. You don't need to play coy with me. I had figured you for smarter. I figured you would know better than to file a complaint against me. Obviously your not that smart. I guess you'll have to learn the hard way that I'm not to be toyed with, I will make more than just your career a living hell. Do you understand me Captain."

"I understand your threatening me Colonel."

"Oh no Captain. This isn't a threat, its a promise. I outrank you, you have no witnesses, and I will outsmart you."

It was with the last snarled words that he took her casted arm and slammed it into the bricks overhead before leaving as quickly as he had come. Sam was left shaking against the brick wall, her arm throbbing, and her thoughts in turmoil. Surely she hadn't just been threatened by a career officer. It seemed almost unreal. Sam had not had the chance to gather her wits when Daniel and Teal'c rushed to her side.

"Sam are you all right?"

"Yes Captain Carter, have you been injured?"

"I think I'm all right guys."

"Sam, was that Colonel Ellers leaving," Daniel asked.

"Yes," she answered softly.

"Sam did he hurt you. What's going on?"

"I'm not sure I know anymore Daniel."

"Sam if he said or did anything he shouldn't you have to tell Jack."

"Tell Jack what," Jack O'Neill asked as he rounded the corner.

"Nothing"

"Col Ellers"

Sam and Daniel chimed in at the same time.

"Hold it, hold it. One at a time. Daniel you first."

"Colonel Ellers was just here. He was having a conversation with Sam, and she didn't look like she was enjoying it."

"Sam, is this true," Jack asked.

Sam didn't say anything as she dropped her eyes, she just wasn't sure what she should say.

Seeing that he wasn't going to get anymore answers Jack issued orders, his best military voice in action.

"Alright. Team meeting my house, right now. Captain Carter, get in the car. We will get to the bottom of this."

Sam got into the car quietly. The throbbing in her arm forgotten under the weight of her thoughts. She had to tell the Colonel now, she just wasn't sure how he would react, or how much worse he would make it when he knew.

Sam had no way of knowing how much worse it was going to get all on it's own.



-----------------------------------------------------------------------



Sam sat huttled into the seat in Jack's car. She still was trying to figure out what had upset Ellers, and why a career officer would dare to threaten her in that way. It was so unreal as to boggle the mind. She had not told anyone at the SGC what had transpired on the last mission. She certainly hadn't filed a complaint against him, but apparently someone had, and he thought that someone was her. Sam could not fathom the scene in the parking deck, nor the cruelty. The behavior exhibited by Colonel Ellers fit better with street thugs than military. What would cause a man to have that much contempt for woman? A contempt that at least bordered on hate.

"Sam, we're here," O'Neill called breaking into her thoughts.

Sam reached around to open her door, and quickly slid to the ground. She followed the others into the house, and took a seat near the Colonel's fireplace. She realized suddenly that the adrenalin she had been moving on had left her. She was now shaky and concious of the all consuming pain in her arm. It hurt worse than it had since Janet set it, and she hoped Ellers hadn't caused her further problems.

"Sam. Are you okay," Jack asked as he noticed her pallor, and the way she sat biting her lip.

"Colonel. It hurts," she stated frankly, having neither the desire or energy to hide it further.

"Well I'm not surprised Sam," Daniel piped in. "It usually does when someone slams a broken arm against a brick wall."

"What," Jack hissed as he handed Sam one of her pills and a glass of water.

"I think you kids need to start at the top and tell me whats happening. Sam I do mean everything."

Sam relayed the events of the mission in a tight tone. She was sure that her team would be disappointed in the way she had handled things. So sure in fact that Jack's softly spoken words startled her.

"Sam, I hate that happened, but you handled it in the best way possible. If you had confronted, or challenged him in the field it would have just made things worse. Now, however, we must see to it that you get a complaint filed. He can not treat team members in such a manner, no matter what his personal prejudice."

"Thats the problem Colonel. He thinks I already have filed a complaint. Daniel saw the tail end of his confrontation in the parking garage. He promised to make my personal and professional life hell. I don't understand where he got the idea, this is the first I have spoken of it to anybody."

"We'll talk to Hammond, together, in the morning Sam. But I have one question for you. Why didn't you confide in us sooner. We are your team. We watch out for each other in the field, and at home."

"I know that, I guess the whole thing left me unsettled."

"As long as we understand each other. Now what say I have a little conversation with Ellers," Jack muttered, smacking a fist into his hand.

"Colonel please don't," Sam begged. "It will only make things worse, and postpone the inevitable. If he wants to do something, let him. Then we have something else to get him with. I don't think he'll risk his career by doing that. He just wanted to scare me. I don't want him to think he succeeded."

"Alright, but your to let me know if he says or does anything else. If I'm not around find Teal'c or Daniel. There is always strength in numbers."

Jack settled only slightly to the nodded aggreement from his Captain. He knew that there was more going on here than he understood. Men who handled conflicts in this way usually didn't make Colonel, but this one had, and Jack wanted to know how. He would find out later he resolved. Now was time to lighten the mood of his team and his friends. Dinner was in order, and maybe that comedy they hadn't watched Saturday.

The SG-1 team decided on dinner and Daniel and Teal'c left to pick it up. Jack ventured back to his bedroom and returned with a pillow and blanket, which he placed on the couch. Moving over to Sam he helped her to her feet and lead her to the couch. Once she was settled he elevated her arm for her, and tucked the blanket around her, relieved that she hadn't bothered to object to the pampering.

"Sam, if that arm doesn't start to feel better soon let me know. We can get Janet to look at it if we need to."

"Yes Sir," she responded, her voice soft.

"Okay, good. Sam, you handled this well, and your a great aset to SG-1."

"Thank you Sir,"

"Oh and Sam. Call me Jack," he muttered before heading to the kitchen.

"Yes, Jack," she responded her words too soft to be heard, and her smile unnoticed by his retreating form.



-----------------------------------------------------------------------



Sam wondered topside of Cheyenne Mountain to watch the sunset. It was the first chance she had had to think of something besides work today. Tuesday had started with a bang, and the rest of SG-1 had gated out early that morning. It was a short mission, they were debriefing now, but she still worried while they were off-world. Her worry had kept her in her lab close to the control room, and now she just wanted some space to think.

Last night had been nice and relaxed after they had discussed Ellers. The team had been of one mind in their desire to forget the base for awhile. The Colonel had fussed over her somewhat, and in truth, she had enjoyed the attention. Well, if she were really being honest, she had enjoyed it because it was Jack. Jack, the name felt so weird, but so right. It wasn't supposed to feel right, he was her CO, but the fact remained, it did feel right. She hadn't felt this way often enough in her life, and she wanted to enjoy it just a little. She would keep it in check, but she could still enjoy what he offered, when he offered.

Sam sighed into the breeze that swept across the mountain, it would get cold soon, and she would have to go inside, but for the moment it was bliss. She never gave thought to the unconcious impulse that had brought her here, never acknowledged the fact that her Colonel came here as often as he could when stationed on base. Well, perhaps not conciously, but her subconcious knew he would come up after the debriefing. It was for this reason that Sam wasn't the least bit concerned when she heard footsteps behind her. She turned slowly to face the person behind her, fully expecting it to be the Colonel. It was perhaps this that slowed her reaction, or her arm, she wasn't sure which. All she was sure of was the fist that connected solidly with her face. Sam felt the sudden crack and gush of warmth over her upper lip, and despite the pain, flew into a defensive stance to block the next blow. Her opponent was good, landing his next punch solidly to her stomach before grabbing the casted arm.

"I told you to drop it, but you didn't. You are no match for me Captain, withdraw your complaint or you will regret it."

The last words were uttered with a growl as her assailant brought her casted arm down hard across his knee, and delivered two solid punches to her right kidney. Just that quickley it was over. She was dropped to the ground and the looming figure of Colonel Ellers stalked off into the night. Sam sat huddled into herself as the pain began to rear its ugly head. She wasn't sure what hurt worse, her arm, her face, or her side. She just knew that she had to get inside to see Janet, but couldn't find the strength to gain her feet. It wasn't the injuries themselves that left her so shell-shocked, she had had worse, it was the assailant. The man was military, but that didn't bother him in the least. "Certainly not an officer and a gentleman," she mumbled to herself as she forced herself to get to her feet.

Sam staggered up to the elevator that would take her below and leaned against the wall while she waited on it to arrive. Reaction was beginning to set in, and she was shaking so hard she could barely keep on her feet. The doors dinged as they opened and Sam made a move to stand again when she realized the car wasn't empty.

"Sam," Jack gasped surprised. "What happened," he asked. His surprise giving way to anger.

"Colonel Ellers, sir," she mumbled as another wave of tremors shook her.

Jack O'Neill didn't waste any time on further questions. He simply whisked his jacket off to wrap around her and escorted her into the elevator. Grapping his bandana he tilted her head back against his shoulder before pressing the cloth against her still bleeding nose. Her grunt of pain was muffled by the cloth, and the hand she used to push him away was shaking to much to be of any real discouragement. Jack knew that she had bleed more from the nose than she realized, as she was wearing a significant amount on her uniform.



-----------------------------------------------------------------------



Jack sat fuming in Janet Fraser's office while he waited to hear about Sam. He had already been to the General, who had authorized a thorough background search given this additional information. That meant anything that may have been swept under the official carpet for whatever reason.

Jack knew that they would get to the bottom of the situation, but he hated to see any of his team hurting. When he was willing to admit it to himself he could acknowledge that that went doubly for Sam. He knew he wasn't supposed to see his 2IC that way, but he did. He wouldn't act on it in an improper way, but he could enjoy pampering her when she let him. She had let him last night, and he found that he could have curled up with her and held her for hours. Okay, more than hold, but that defintely wouldn't be proper.

Jack was saved from his thoughts when Janet walked in shaking her head.

"She is so stubborn Jack, how do you keep her in line in the field?"

"I outrank her Doc. How is she?"

"She is alright. In pain, but alright. Bruised kidney and a broken nose, but they will heal before the arm, so it won't keep her out of the field any longer. She's going to have two great shiners in the morning. I gave her something for pain, but she refuses to stay in the infirmary. I compromised with her by allowing her to stay in her quarters on base. I want her nearby in case she has problems with bleeding, especially with that kidney. What happened anyway?"

"Colonel Ellers thinks she filed a complaint against him and is very angry over the matter. He first confronted her last night, we were going to talk to the General this morning , but I went off-world. Sam managed to get busy and didn't talk to him. I don't know who filed the complaint, not that he doesn't deserve it, but I wish the timing was better so he wouldn't be after Sam."

"I filed the complaint. I had to because of the medical ramifications of that last mission. I never dreamed he would actually attack Sam. Oh God! This is my fault," she moaned, her tone one of dismay.

"No Doc. It isn't your fault he's wacko. No one could have predicted this. I'm goig to take care of it Doc. I can promise you that."

No sooner than the words had left Jack's mouth than he noticed Sam leaning against the door jam. She appeared pale and tired, the areas around her eyes already beginning to blacken.

"You are not going to take care of him Sir. We will leave that up to a review committee. No use you being in as much trouble as he is," Sam sighed. "Janet, can I go to my quarters now?"

"Yes, but someone needs to walk with you. Sam I mean for you to rest, and eat lightly tonight. Tommorrow I'll be by to check on you. If I like what I see, you can go to your lab on Thursday."

"Janet, don't you think your making too much of this. I'm fine," Sam protested.

"No I do not. Your body has been through an awful lot in just under a week. You need to rest, and if you keep arguing with me I will confine you to the infirmary."

Sam nodded weakly, she just didn't feel like arguing. Despite the pain meds her body throbbed in numerous places, and she felt dizzy. It was difficult to concentrate, a result of the medicine Janet had given her, and Sam knew she needed to lay down before she proved Janet's point.

"I'll escort her Doc," Jack volunteered. He knew Sam was putting up a front, and he wanted to help her cover. He saw her swiftly to her base quarters, and once there lead her staight to the bed. Kneeling quickly he helped her get her boots off before rising again. "I'll be right back Sam. I'm just going to get you something to eat."

"Thanks Sir," she mumbled as she lay down.



-----------------------------------------------------------------------



Sam was again amazed by the way Jack took care of her that evening. He had gotten her food, and didn't leave until she had eaten and was sleeping soundly. She would smile now when she thought about it. The weeks had passed rapidly after that confrontation, and her friendship with the Colonel grew. Colonel Ellers background search had turned up a well hidden history of similar behavior, and Jack as well as the rest of the team had supported her in making the necessary reports. Sam was released to active duty after six weeks and it looked as if life for SG-1 was returning to normal.

It was a little upsetting to know that Ellers had disappeared after the facts had come to light, and as of yet had not been apprehended. Sam was not overly worried, assuming he was hiding as far from her as possible. It only made sense to her since she was the only female to follow through with filing a complaint. It had been easy for her, as she had Jack, Daniel, and Teal'c behind her. Ellers didn't get another oppurtunity to intimidate her in the weeks following, because the guys hadn't left her alone.



-----------------------------------------------------------------------



SG-1 crossed the event horizan into SGC with a collective sigh. They were followed closely by SG-8 and their similar sounds of relief. It had been quite a mission, and everyone was exhausted, dirty and hungry. Sam headed out the door of the gateroom as quickly as she could, determined to beat the seven other men to the locker room. It would take forever if she had to wait for all of them first.

"Where's the fire Carter," Jack called just as she reached the doors.

"No way Sir. I will not let you distract me from my mission," Sam replied slipping into the locker room.

"Sorry guys, it didn't work," he said to the rest as they took up positons to wait for the showers.

The debriefing was nightmarishly long, as had been the mission, and Sam was glad when it finally ended. Rising she gathered her notes to return them to the lab. SG-1 and 8 had been given four days of down time, and she was in a hurry to get started on them.

"Captain Carter, we are all going out for steak and drinks. You coming," Colonel Hicks of SG-8 asked, his jovial voice booming across to her.

"Well," she hesitated. Sam didn't mix as much with the other teams after the incident with Ellers. She was just uncertain now as to when she would run into an attitude about women. She wasn't sure how she was seen by the reas of the guys. She knew she would have to get her courage back, but it was just a little soon.

"Come on Carter," another of SG-8 called. "It won't be the same if all us guys don't go. If we can fight together, surely we can drink together."

"That's it then," Hicks called out. "All us guys are going," he boomed, clapping her soundly on the shoulder.

Sam smiled to herself as she followed the others. They truely saw her as one of the guys, and this wasn't her regular team. SG-1 had remained quiet and let SG-8 do the talking, they knew she needed to hear it from others on the base.

O'Neill leaned over and whispered to Sam just before he turned for his car. "Your still prettier than the rest of the guys. Looks and military savy, Hicks can't have you, your one of my Guys."

Sam stared after his departing back before getting in her own car. She smiled to herself, it just didn't get any better than this. Sam was never aware of the dark and silent figure in the shadows as she pulled out and followed the others, or the sinister thoughts he harbored.

"Enjoy tonight Captain, for tomorrow you pay," he muttered to himself as he watched her drive away.



-----------------------------------------------------------------------



Sam stretched lightly by the edge of the jogging path. She had one hour for a good run and a shower before the Colonel came by to pick her up. She laughed to herself as she recalled the somewhat tipsy conversation of the night before. Teal'c at an amusement park, should be fun, but she still couldn't believe Daniel had talked them into it. They must have had more to drink than she realized.

The sky was a brilliant blue, the air crisp but not cold. It was a perfect day for a run, and Sam was glad she had made time for the exercise. It was almost forty minutes before she exited the path near her apartment, having run longer than she had intended. She would need to hurry in order to be ready when the Colonel got there.

Sam was almost out of the woods when she felt strong arms close around her. Military training and instinct kicked in and she forced her head back hard into the assailants face. Nearly simultaneously she brought her foot down hard on her assailants instep. However, rather than loosen his grip, this person simply squeezed harder. Sam began to scrabble and fight for all she was worth before managing to dislodge the mans grip. She did not hesitate to whirl and punch her attacker as hard as she could in the face, noticing as he staggered that it was Ellers. It did not take him long to recover, and he responded with a ramming charge that brought them both to the ground. Sam gasped for the air that been knocked out of her when he took them down, but knew she could not afford a recovery time. She brought her knee up hard and was rewarded by his grunt of pain. Taking the few minutes she had, she rose and began to run for the front of the building.

Sam prided herself on her hand to hand combat skills, but knew she must always rely on her wit first. She could handle just about anything thrown her way, but she could not change the dynamics of human physiology and muscle mass. In this case her smaller frame would not hold out for long against Ellers larger build. That didn't mean she would go down without doing her best to see that he went down too.

Sam felt the ground rush up to meet her when Ellers tackled her legs. She had not gotten as far as she had hoped, but at least they might be heard by anyone passing nearby. Sam lost track of all else as she threw herself into the fight. She had landed quite a few solid blows, but had also recieved a number of them, when she noticed the knife as it suddenly appeared in her face.

"As much as I'm enjoying this little fight," Ellers sneared. "I believe it is time to end this."

"You won't get away with this Ellers and you know it," Sam grunted as Ellers dropped into straddling position on her stomach. The last of her air forced out.

"No. Well maybe not, but I can take you out first."

Sam had no doubt he intended to make good on his threat as he brought the knife down near her neck. It was at that moment that Ellers was pulled off of her,the knife making a shallow cut as it went. Sam looked up in shock in time to see Jack laying a number of rapid blows to Ellers face before allowing him to drop to the ground unconcious.

"Sam, you okay," Jack asked, never taking his eyes off of Ellers.

"Yes Sir," she responded.

"Good. Go call the base, let them know we're bringing the guy in. I'll load his sorry butt into the jeep."

Sam climbed into the jeep next to Jack, glad that they had finally caught the guy. It didn't take long for them to get to base and hand him over to the MP's. Sam wasn't sure what was going through her Colonel's mind as he hadn't uttered a word throughout the drive. She wasn't at all sure that he wasn't disappointed in the way she had handled the fight. Sam was surprised when his next words responded to her unspoken thought.

"You did good Sam. I noticed quite a few marks that I didn't have the pleasure of putting there," Jack muttered, turning to look at her for the first time. "God, Sam! You look like hell. I thought you said you were okay."

Sam looked down at herself for the first time since the fight had ended. She was covered in mud and blood, and her T-shirt was ripped, but she, unlike Ellers, had walked away.

"No worse than a mission, Colonel," she grinned.

"Well, go let Janet clean the cut on your neck, I'll call the guys and let them know we're running late."

"Yes sir," she responded, relieved that he was being casusl. Just about any other response right now would cause her to break down. "Colonel," she called. "Tell Daniel to order lunch. I'm starved."

"That's my girl," Jack muttered to himself on the way to use the phone, unaware that his voice carried.

'His girl', Sam thought to herself as she went to find Janet. She smiled, her thoughts happier and steps lighter than they had been in weeks. 'Just one of the guys last night, and his girl today,' who could ask for more, Sam thought to herself as she entered the infirmary. It was going to be a great day.



-----------------------------------------------------------------------



Sam collapsed onto her couch with a huge sigh, she couldn't believe it was finally all over. It had been six long weeks of hell, between waiting for the court martial and living through it, and she was well and truly exhausted. Knowing all the facts had been disturbing, but it helped provide her with the sense of closure she needed. It was disheartening to learn how many women he had intimidated into not testifying against his actions. Women who had allowed this man too forever effect and change their lives. Those were decisions they would have to live with, thankfully she would not.

Ellers had allowed his past to mold him into a hateful and uncaring man. Abandoned by his mother at a young age, trust had been difficult for him. He grew and iternalized his fathers hatred of his mother into a hatred of women. It was his brothers death years later that had ultimately pushed him over the edge. There had been a women on the team, and Ellers had been forever convinced that she was at fault. The facts of the matter meant little to him. Sam had felt sorrow for the man and his actions as he had been escorted away. She could afford those emotions now that it was all over. The court-martial had been difficult, but not as difficult as those first few nights after his final attack.

Sam allowed her thoughts to drift back to that day, and she smiled to herself. Jack O'Neill knew her so well. He had tried to play the whole thing cool since they were on the base. He knew she was on the edge, and wouldn't want anyone to see her topple over. Play it cool had been his motto, and she had been able to follow along and do the same. It wasn't until he had driven her home that night, that she lost the battle she had internally waged that day. She had fought so hard, but Ellers had been armed and that would have turned the tide had it not been for the Colonel. She let loose a little happy sigh when she thought of what he had done for her that night. He had stayed with her and they had watched a movie. Neither had discussed what was really going on, but then, they hadn't needed the words.

'My Girl' is what he had called her, and still did. She would have never admitted she had feelings for him, if it hadn't have been for what happened. She would also never have guessed that Jack felt the same. Oh nothing dramatic had happened, they didn't need to rush what life was handing them, but the kiss had been soft and sweet. It had also been right.

Sam rose to answer her doorbell, glad Jack was there to save her from the rest of her thoughts. She didn't need to think about Ellers anymore, she had wasted enough time on him. Now it was time to think about her Colonel. Afterall, those were much more pleasant thoughts, and held the promise of a much more pleasant future.



-----------------------------------------------------------------------