samandjack.net

Story Notes: Author's notes: Fluff. But fun.


It was no less than 95 degrees Fahrenheit in the shade. If anyone asked, she could claim heat-induced dementia as the reason why she had agreed to accompany her teammates to Chatfield State Park. Packing sunscreen, magazines and water bottles into her beach bag, Sam Carter wondered if this wasn't one of the worst ideas she had agreed to. She was about to see

Her

Commanding

Officer

In

Swim

Trunks.

Dear God. At least it hadn't been his idea either. Apparently someone on SG-2 had bought a new boat and had invited both his teammates and SG-1 for a ride. And Teal'c, of all people, had thought it was a good idea for them to go. He had reminded the Colonel of his interest in water skiing. And the Colonel in turn just *had* to remind Daniel that herons, his favorite bird, nested at the park over the summer. Daniel apparently remembered his interest in bird watching, and looked at Sam expectantly. She couldn't say no, could she? Everyone wanted to take this opportunity to bond. As a team. Once again. So, putting aside her own fear of getting a sunburn that would make her a good candidate for skin cancer in the not-so-distant future, she had agreed to go for a ride on the boat.

It wasn't until afterward, on her way home to change and pack up, that she realized they would all be wearing swimsuits. It was a beach after all. They were going on a boat, and it was so incredibly hot, she couldn't imagine not wanting to dive in the water at some point. And then just how bad this idea actually was hit her again. She was going to see

Her

Commanding

Officer

In

*Wet*

Swim

Trunks.

She swallowed hard as the doorbell rang. Preparing herself as if it were Anubis himself at her door, she answered it, and was very much relieved to see Teal'c standing there. Looking quite human with a baseball cap on, a T-shirt, swim trunks (hmmm... he wasn't hard to look at either), and a beach towel flung over his shoulder. She tried to remember when he had started to look so, well... normal! She smiled as he nodded, taking her bag from her to put in the cab of the Colonel's truck as she closed the door behind her. Making sure it was locked (twice, just to give herself a few more seconds before having to see *him* in shorts), she was finally ready, and crawled into the backseat.

Thank god he had the air conditioning on. He was notorious for hating the way the "fake" air made him feel, but she guessed it was too hot even for him. Either that or Daniel had complained. Like he would have done a year ago. And then she smiled to herself. Maybe this *was* a good idea, maybe they could spend the day together and just forget for awhile the attraction that was always there. They could ignore the tension for an hour's car ride to the park. And once there, other people would be around.

Easy as pie.

Piece of cake.

No problem.

"Construction on I-25 Northbound."

"Expect delays of up to 45 minutes."

What the &#*%!

This was *not* part of the plan. Maybe she had misread the sign. Maybe it was south bound and they could take back roads on the return trip. Maybe it just said 5 minutes. Yeah. She would just keep breathing. In and out. In and out. And definitely not looking at how the gray T-shirt a certain *someone* was wearing really showed off his arms and chest in a very good (no, bad!) way. Or how his navy swim trunks rode half-way up his thighs when he sat down. Oh God. She was stuck in traffic with

Her

Commanding

Officer

While

He

Looked

*Really*

Hot.

Damn. Damn. And Double Damn! They were stopped in a line that was about a city block away from the work being done. From the looks of it, the workmen had just taken a break- it was hot after all- and they weren't in any hurry to let the air conditioned cars get through. She was going to go out of her mind. She was torn between wanting to jump out of the truck and walk to the park and jumping her commanding officer. She might die of heat exhaustion by taking the first option, but she would certainly end her life as she knew it by taking the second.

Then it hit her. A really good idea. If it worked. If not, she would be embarrassed for the rest of her life. But these were desperate times, and they called for desperate measures. She spoke her first words of the trip, "Teal'c, get out." She got two side- ways looks and a raised eyebrow, but he complied nonetheless. He opened the door and a wave of heat swept inside. She lifted the seat just enough so that she could crawl out, and then motioned for him to take her place in back next to Daniel. She proceeded to climb back in, replacing him in the front passenger seat.

Don'tjumpyourcommandingofficerDon'tjumpyourcommandingofficer Don'tjumpyourcommandingofficerDon'tjumpyourcommandingofficer Don'tjumpyourcommandingofficerDon'tjumpyourcommandingofficer Don'tjumpyourcommandingofficerDon'tjumpyourcommandingofficer

Focusing on the task at hand, she took off her navy blue T-shirt which had been concealing a crocheted triangle bikini top in turquoise. Next, she unfastened the top button on her jeans shorts just enough to reveal the matching bikini bottom. She then unscrewed the cap of a water bottle in the cup holder and poured a little into the palm of her had. Slicking her hair back with it (she was going for the wet look), she then appraised herself in the mirror on the back of the sun visor. Okay, last step. And this was so obvious, but she really hoped it would work. She took the other cup that was in the cup holder- a 7-11 Slurpee with a really big straw- and reached for the door handle.

She put on her best "major" voice and looked directly at him, "Sir, I know this is a little uh... unconventional..." Yeah, that was it. "But, I don't think any of us just want to sit here for 45 minutes, so I'm gonna-" Pointing in the direction of the construction workers. "Just go see how long this has to take."

He swallowed. He looked. He looked again. He nodded.

"When I signal, come and get me."

She was never going to live this down. Never. But getting out of the truck, even in the sweltering heat, was a welcome relief from the mounting tension that she knew he felt as strongly as she did. So, she walked toward the men, with unfaltering determination (if not a little extra sway in her hips), sucking on the straw for all it was worth (cherry was good, but raspberry was better) and praying that this wouldn't backfire.

She couldn't see them, but her three teammates (and several other men in the cars in line with them) were watching- no *leering*- as she made her way to the site. A few minutes and a few fake laughs later, she signaled. He pulled out of line and cautiously made his way up to her. He watched as one of the workers moved a piece of equipment out of the way so that they could pass the other cars. A clear highway lay before them.

As he pulled up behind her, he saw her scribble something on a piece of paper that one of the guys held out for her. He watched as she winked and smiled just before getting back into the truck. She closed the door, let out a sigh, and ordered him, "Go."

He did. No one said anything for the first twenty minutes. And then Daniel, leave it to him, just had to ask. "What did you say to them?"

"I told them that there was a party tonight that they wouldn't want to miss, and if they let us go through, I would write down directions."

"To where did you direct them, Major Carter?"

And as she turned just a little in her seat to be able to see Teal'c as she answered him, she noticed the Colonel shifting in his seat. And a little uncomfortably at that.

"Let's just say Janet is going to have some company tonight."

She heard Daniel mutter an "oh boy" under his breath as she watched the corners of Teal'c's mouth turn upwards. Daring a glance at her commanding officer's response, it was all she could do not to gasp as she noticed that his shorts had, well, ridden up higher than before. Dear God. She was

So

Enjoying

This

Day.