samandjack.net

Story Notes: AUTHORS NOTES: This is my response to the 1999 New Member Challenge:- Must include: Sam and Jack already together, a new member to SG-1 (preferably a female) who knows Jack from previous work with the Air Force, Snide comments back and forth between them, Sam getting angry at Jack for upsetting the new member. I've been working on this for ages and it hasn't turned out like I had hoped but I'm sick to death of it so I thought I'd post it and let you guys be the judge.

FEEDBACK:I crave it! It's an illness I swear.


SG1 was just finishing up on their mission briefing for P2X333. "I'd like to introduce you all to a new member of the SGC." General Hammond said as he walked over and opened the door. "Come in Major."

A tall brunette walked into the room and stood at attention. "Major Quintok reporting as ordered sir!"

"At ease Major. Major Sally Quintok I'd like you to meet SG1. This is Major Samantha Carter."

Sam held out her hand. "Call me Sam" she said as she shook Sally's hand.

"Doctor Daniel Jackson" the General continued, pointing in Daniel's direction. "Teal'c and team leader, Colonel Jack O'Neill."

Jack stood staring at the newcomer with a mixture of disbelief and hatred. "Major" he said stiffly, not offering his hand. This did not go unnoticed by Sam who looked from one person to the other, raising an eyebrow at Jack. He shook his head slightly before turning his attention back to the General.

"Now Captain Quintok will be joining SG7 but since they're off world at the moment I thought she could get her bearings by joining SG1 for a few missions."

"It'll be great to have another female on board for a while" Sam said with enthusiasm.

"General I'm not sure if that's a good idea. I don't want to disrupt the dynamic of my team" Jack replied gruffly, receiving more curious glances from his team mates.

"I'm sure your team can handle it Colonel. I would like you to show Major Quintok the standard procedures for missions as well as getting her acquainted with the base layout. You will move out in half an hour, understood?"

"Yes sir" he replied, sending Sally another chilling glance.

"Right. Dismissed." The General said before walking out the door.

Jack turned to Sally. "Now I don't know whose butt you kissed to get in here, but you better watch yourself. Stuffing up here not only endangers the lives of your team mates, it endangers the whole planet. You got that?"

Sally walked up to him, her face inches from his. "Understood Colonel, but you should understand this. I got here on my own merits and I will not have *anyone* saying otherwise."

"Listen here *Major*. As of now I'm your commanding officer. I don't like that fact anymore than you do, but you will treat me as such. I will not tolerate insubordinance. You read me?"

"Yes sir" she replied, glaring at him.

"Jack?" Sam started, trying to diffuse the tension. "Would you like me to help Major Quintok get geared up for this mission?"

Jack's scowl disappeared as he looked at her. She had a knack of lightening his mood by just looking at him. He nodded to her. "Thanks Sam." He turned to take in the whole team. Sally was still glaring at him. The other three had looks of confusion on their face. He knew that they'd want an explanation for his behavior. It wouldn't be hard to refuse Daniel and Teal'c but Sam was a different matter entirely. She had ways of making him talk. He shook his head to clear his mind. "Let's get ready to ship out" he ordered before turning on his heel and leaving the debriefing room.



~~~0~~~



Sam showed Sally to the change rooms, which at that time were designated for the females. "If there's a blue sign up then the guys are in here, if there's a pink one then the girls are. The last one out takes the sign off and if there's no sign up then just chuck the pink one up on the way in."

Sally shook her head, chuckling. "The US military gets billions of dollars allocated to it every year and they can't spare some to construct female amenities." She looked over at Sam who was laughing quietly. She had a feeling she was going to like her.

"Have you been here long?" Sally asked.

Sam nodded. "Almost three years now. It's a pretty fantastic place to work."

"Yeah it's looks like it. What are the people like?"

"Pretty good as a whole. I mean we still have our Airforce verses Marine rivalry happening but when it comes down to it we back each other up."

Sally chuckled. "I had to work with Navy SEALS before coming here. Compared to them, Marine's are a cinch."

"Really? What were you doing before being transferred here?" asked, curious.

"Hostage Rescue. We teamed up with the Navy on a number of occasions. So what did you do before this?"

"Two years at the Pentagon making this place a reality. Before that I flew F16's." She pointed to an empty locker. "You can have that one."

"Thanks" Sally replied, dumping her stuff in the locker. "F16's hey? What made you give that up?" She asked, turning back to Sam who was getting changed.

Sam stopped for a minute, smiling. "I wanted to see space."



~~~0~~~



Fifteen minutes later the team was in the embarkation room waiting for the Gate to dial up. "Tell me again what this is like?" Sally asked Sam quietly.

"It's really not that bad once you get used to it. You might feel a bit sick on the other side though." Sam patted her shoulder for reassurance. The familiar 'whoosh' of the wormhole establishing made Sally jump and Sam couldn't help but chuckle. "Relax Sally, you'll be fine." She ushered for them to follow Daniel and Teal'c, who were walking up the event horizon.

Jack stopped them as they got to the bottom of the ramp. "Now Quintok, if you see any life, don't assume that they're friendly, understood? That means no going up to them and asking them to dance" he finished sarcastically.

"Oh damn" she replied. "I was going to go and ask them for a quick roll in the hay. So I guess that's out of the question too?" She retorted, glaring at him before walking up the ramp.

"What was that all about?" Sam asked, looking at Jack.

"Nothing. Let's go" he walked up the ramp and through the Event Horizon. Sam looked after him a moment, before shaking her head and following her team.



~~~0~~~



Once on the other side Sam saw Sally sit heavily on the ground, head in hands. She walked over and placed a hand on her shoulder. "You all right?"

Sally chuckled quietly. "Ugh, food poisoning feels better than this" she replied.

Sam laughed. "I promise it gets better. I think I was only queasy a couple of times."

"Queasy? That's an understatement! I'm just glad I didn't eat breakfast." She rose to her feet and took a sip from the canteen Sam offered. "Thanks. I think I'll be all right now."

"That's good to hear Major. Maybe now we can start getting some work done?" Jack said sarcastically. Again he ignored the questioning look that Sam gave him.

"Yes sir" Sally replied crisply, moving over to where Daniel and Teal'c were.

"Jack what is it between you two?" Sam asked, grabbing his arm to stop him from leaving.

"It's nothing Sam. Just forget it." He took her hand off his arm and squeezed it before turning away from her.

"It's not nothing" Sam insisted. "You two have been at each other..."

"Forget it Sam!" He growled, turning and walking away.



~~~0~~~



They had been walking for about an hour when they came to a junction of three tracks. "Okay let's split up. Teal'c you take the left, Sam and Danny take the middle and Quintok, you're with me." Jack ordered.

Sam and Daniel looked at each other quickly before Sam spoke up. "Ah Jack, is that such a good idea? Perhaps Sally should join me?"

"Are you trying to tell me how to do my job *Major*?" He replied sharply.

Sam gave him an icy glare. "No *Sir*. Come on Daniel let's go." She turned on her heel and stormed off along the path.

"What was that all about?" Daniel asked when he finally caught up to the fuming major.

"That was about Jack being an asshole, as usual" she replied, giving Daniel a look that clearly stated that she didn't want to talk about it.

"Oh... okay then" Daniel said slowly.

Sam stopped and faced him. "Sorry Daniel, I didn't mean to snap at you. He just makes me so mad when he gets in one of his moods."

They started walking again, this time at a slower pace. "So what is it between those two? They don't seem to like each other very much" Daniel commented.

Sam sighed. "I don't know. Jack wouldn't tell me. Must be something pretty big though."

Daniel nodded and they continued on in silence.

When they all met up again a few hours later, it was obvious to everyone that Sally and Jack had been fighting. Jack had a scowl etched on his face and his jaw was clenched, while Sally's lips were drawn into a thin line and she kept throwing icy glares at the Colonel.

Jack turned to the rest of his team. "Find anything of interest?"

"Not much Jack. Sam got some samples but other than that, nothing" Daniel replied, knowing Sam was still mad at Jack. Teal'c also had nothing to report.

"Let's go home then. The sooner the better as far as I'm concerned." They turned and made there way back to the Stargate in silence.



~~~0~~~



Daniel and Sam were sitting in the cafeteria talking when Jack walked up to them. "Hi" he said quietly. "Mind if I sit down?" Sam motioned to the chair next to her and he sat down. "I want to apologise to you both for my behavior today. I'm sorry I took it out on you guys." He turned to Sam. "Especially you. Forgive me?" He gave her a boyish grin, one that he knew she found hard resist.

Sam smiled back. "One of these days I'm going to learn to stay mad at you" she said before leaning across to kiss him.

"Get a room you two!" Ferretti yelled from across the room, making Sam and Jack pull apart. Jack grinned at Sam as she blushed before turning to Ferretti.

"You're just jealous Ferretti!" He yelled back.

"The Major will come to her senses one day O'Neill" he said as he walked out the door.

Jack chuckled. Ever since the boys had found out he was seeing Sam they had joked at how a bright, beautiful woman could fall for a battered old soldier like himself. Both Sam and Jack had been worried when people had found out about their romance (who knew they had security cameras in storage rooms?), but everyone had been very accepting. That didn't stop the jokes and the sly comments but they were all in good fun. Even the General had been okay, simply stating that their relationship was not to effect their work and there was to be no fraternization whilst on duty.

"So Daniel" Jack started, taking Sam's hand and absently playing with her slender fingers. "We still on for Poker at my place?"

"Why is it always at your place?" Daniel whined, good-naturedly.

"Because Danny. We wouldn't be able to find a spare table at your place with all the rocks, Teal'c lives here and we're not spending our downtime on base, and Sam only has one bedroom so when you pass out after two beers there'll be nowhere to stick you. You sure as hell aren't sleeping with us!"

"Okay, that's a good reason" Daniel hurriedly replied, face tingeing pink at the last comment.

"Good" Jack said standing up. "I'll catch you later then. Don't forget you're on munchies duty. And make it munchies this time, you can't eat peas while you play poker."

"It was Homus Jack, it's a dip. I can't help it if your diet consists of chips and beer!"

"Are you kidding?! Sam's a master with the wok and I can cook up a mean barbecue. Between the two of us we actually eat real food. Hey angel?"

Sam grinned, a mischievous glint in her eyes. "When we actually get 'round to eating it we do."

Jack chuckled and Daniel blushed. "More than a friend needs to hear Sam!"

Jack leant down and kissed Sam. "I better get going. I'll catch you both tonight."

"How 'bout I bring Sally?" Daniel asked as Jack turned to leave.

Jack turned around and saw Daniel looking at him expectantly. He shrugged his shoulders in defeat. "Whatever." He turned and walked out the door.

"Well that's a start" Daniel said after he'd left.

Sam shook her head. "Daniel I don't know if that's a good idea. I mean there's obviously a history between them and bringing her to our Poker night at Jack's house may only inflame the situation. Besides, I'm not sure I could handle another fight tonight."

Daniel patted her hand briefly. "It'll be fine Sam. Besides, we have another mission with her tomorrow. Wouldn't it be best to try and diffuse the situation before then?"

Sam simply sighed, knowing she wouldn't be able to dissuade him.



~~~0~~~



At about eight o'clock, Sam walked over to the door as the doorbell rang for a second time. "Hey guys" she said as Daniel, Teal'c and Sally walked in.

Daniel looked around. "Hi Sam. Where's Jack?"

"He's in the shower. We're running a bit late" she replied, cheeks burning.

Daniel got the hint and decided not to pursue it. "Well I got munchies as Jack requested. I didn't buy anything that could be construed as food."

Sam chuckled, leading them into the kitchen. "Who wants a beer?"

She was met with a round of me's and headed to the fridge just as Jack entered the room. "Good evening kids. Ready to loose some money?"

"I don't think so Jack. I'm feeling lucky" Daniel replied, opening his beer and taking a swig.

Jack snorted. "Sure you are Danny."

"Now boys, play nice" Sam mock scolded.

Daniel and Jack grinned at each other before turning to her. "Yes mom" they said simultaneously.

Sam shook her head and chuckled. "Why don't you guys go and set up the table and Sally and I'll get the food ready?"

Jack's face darkened at the mention of Sally. He'd tried to ignore the fact that she was here, angry at Daniel for inviting her and angry at Sally for coming. He shook his head. He had told Sam he would behave himself and he wasn't about to break his promise in the first five minutes. "Okay Angel. Don't be long." He kissed her on the temple and walked out into the other room.



~~~0~~~



Things had started off well. The first few hands were very sociable but the more that Jack had to drink the worse his attitude got. It started off as just light sarcasm but soon the remarks got more serious and they were being directed at Sally.

Sam picked her cards up and examined them. "I'll bet a dollar" she said, throwing the money onto the table.

Jack took a swig of his beer. "I'll see your dollar and raise you a quarter."

Daniel and Teal'c promptly folded. Sally looked at her cards carefully. She went to pick up some money then stopped, thinking about what she should do.

"Ah come on Quintok. Stop hesitating, you know that gets people into trouble" Jack said, his voice dripping with contempt.

Sally looked at him for a moment before rising from the table and fleeing out the front door. "Ah, we better get going I guess. Sally came with us" Daniel explained nervously before ushering Teal'c out the door. "Bye Sam" he called as the door shut.

Sam didn't hear him. She was too busy glaring at Jack. "What in the hell is wrong with you?! Can't you leave her alone for a second?!"

"Drop it Sam" Jack growled.

"No I won't drop it! You promised me you'd leave her alone tonight!" She stood in front of him, making him looking at her.

"Yeah well you try having someone you despise in your home and see how you go."

Sam shook her head. "If you can't stand her so much why didn't you let her come with me today? She would have been out of your hair and you wouldn't of had to worry about her."

"No but I would have been worried about you" Jack replied quietly.

"What? This better not be another 'females are the weaker sex' thing Jack. I thought we were past that."

"No. This is about her being a screw up. I didn't want her to stuff up and get you hurt okay?"

"I'm more than capable of looking after myself. I thought I'd proven that to you."

"You have Sam." He walked over to her and put his hands on her arms. "Look, something happened last time I worked with her and I don't want it to happen again."

"Tell me what happened. I want to understand."

Jack shook his head. "Not now. We don't get much time alone these days, how 'bout a change of subject?" He suggested as he started to nuzzle her neck in an effort to distract her.

Sam put her hands on his chest and pushed him back. "I think I better go home."

"What? What do you mean go home?" Jack asked, confused.

"Jack for the first time in a long while I don't understand what's going on with you and that's a bit scary. I think I should go and let you try and sort some things out."

"Look if you want to know that bad I'll tell you what happened" he said gruffly.

Sam put her fingers on his lips. "No Jack I don't want you to feel I forced you to tell me. You've got to *want* to tell me and I know that right now you don't want to." She replaced her fingers with her lips, giving him a kiss goodnight. "I'll see you tomorrow" she said as she walked to the door.

"Sam. Stay, please?" He pleaded.

"Not tonight. I think we both need the time alone." She turned and walked out the door, closing it gently behind her.

Jack slid to the floor, holding his head in his hands. Sally had managed to screw his life up once again and there wasn't a damn thing he could do about it. He wanted to tell Sam about what had happened but it was something that he'd never told another soul, something he swore he'd take to the grave. He closed his eyes and relived the horror of that mission.



~~~0~~~



Sam was just about to climb into bed when there was a knock on the door. Since it was after one, she had a fairly good idea who it would be and considered not answering it, but she remembered he had a key and would probably let himself in anyway. She sighed and walked out to the door. She was ready to admonish him but the sight of Jack standing, soaking wet made her stop. There was such sorrow in his eyes that she just pulled him inside without a word. He clung to her, neither of them making a sound for a few minutes.

"Come on lets get you out of these wet clothes before you get sick" Sam said finally, leading him to the bedroom. She undressed him before undressing herself and taking him into the bathroom. It wasn't until Sam turned the shower on that Jack spoke.

"Sam. I'm all right. I don't need..."

"You're cold and you're wet. Now get in."

He gave her a small smile before walking into the shower recess. Sam followed him in and grabbed the soap and a wash cloth. She started washing him, the small circles she made with the wash cloth soothing away the tension. By the time she turned the water off Jack was feeling one hundred percent better.

They dried off and walked back to the bedroom to get dressed. "How do you do that?" Jack asked as he pulled on a pair of boxers.

"Do what?" Sam asked, putting her nightie on.

"How do you always know how to make me feel better?"

She shrugged. "I guess I just know you." She walked over and sat on the edge of the bed. "I wish you felt comfortable talking to me though."

Jack walked over and knelt in front of her, taking her hands in his. "Angel it's not that I don't want to talk to you, it's just that... things have happened in my life that I hate to think about. Things I'm not proud of. I guess I've locked them away for so long I don't know how to talk about them."

"Will you try Jack?" Her blue eyes were pleading.

Jack kissed her. "Hop into bed. I'll go turn the lights off."

A few minutes later he walked back into the bedroom. He turned the light off and slipped into bed next to Sam. She cuddled up beside him and he pulled her close, arms wrapped around her. "Are you sure you want to hear this? It's not exactly a pleasant bedtime story."

"I want to hear it."

Taking a deep breath, Jack began his story. "Okay then. We were given a mission to uncover a group of rebel soldiers in the Middle East. The plan was to rendezvous with our contact at this sleazy bar. My best buddy Jeff and Quintok went in and I maintained surveillance outside. Our contact was supposed to approach Quintok and buy her a drink. Whoever came up with the plan decided that no one else would approach her with Jeff there. They were wrong, about five guys approached her in the space of ten minutes. I tried to get them to pull out but Quintok was adamant she knew which one was the contact and refused to bail. She was wrong, she picked the wrong guy and blew their cover. They were taken to some sort of apartment building. I followed and then contacted our command center. They decided that sending in a rescue team would cause too many political problems, since we weren't officially there. I had to get them out by myself."

He looked down at Sam. "You remember when you told me you felt like you'd murdered Seth's host, even though you knew you had to do it?" She nodded, but remained quiet so Jack would continue. "Well when I said I understood I wasn't lying. In order to get Quintok and Jeff out I basically had to go in guns blazing. It was impossible to recognise the rebels from the civilians so I had been ordered to shoot anybody I came across. I know I killed a lot of innocent people, children included, that day but I also know that if I had stopped to think if they were rebels or not both myself and my team mates would have been dead...Somehow that doesn't help much, does it."

Jack shook his head trying to remove the gruesome images from his mind. He felt Sam's lips on his chest and held her tighter against him. "Anyway, I got into the room where they were being held and armed them. I gave them the same orders, shoot on sight, but Sally couldn't do it. She hesitated at a heavily pregnant woman. The woman pulled an automatic and started shooting. Jeff got Sally out of the way but he was hit and died instantly. You see I could almost understand her first mistake but not the second. She got my best friend killed and I can't forgive her for that. She screwed up and I don't want her to do it again."

He took a shuddering breath, closing his eyes. He felt Sam move up his body and her lips brush his. He opened his eyes to look straight into Sam's blue eyes. He could see the tears shining in them. She smiled sadly at him before cuddling back into his chest. Her voice was quiet when she spoke. "When you wouldn't tell me what it was between you two I ran a check on her. It obviously didn't say anything about any black ops but her record in Hostage Rescue is exemplary. She's saved so many lives. Maybe she's learnt from her mistakes."

Jack sighed. "Maybe. I'll still be glad when she joins SG7."

"I think, under the circumstances, that's a reasonable feeling. It's a simple mission tomorrow. Have a look around and retrieve the UAV. Then it'll be back to the four of us. Okay?"

He smiled, rolling so that she was under him. "You really are my angel. You know that?" He kissed her softly on the lips before his lips traveled along her jaw to her ear. "Thankyou" he whispered.



~~~0~~~



The next morning the group of five were assembled in the Embarkation room, waiting for the Gate to dial out. The last chevron was locked and the wormhole established. "Okay campers. Let's move out" Jack said, leading them up the ramp. The others followed him through the Event Horizon to the other side.

Once all five were through the Stargate they fanned out and secured the area. "Wow" Sam breathed when she took in her surroundings. The forest was pretty standard but behind it was a huge and very colourful cliff face. Blues, reds, whites and yellows mixed together to form a breathtaking view.

"Yeah, even I'd have to agree with that" Jack said, walking up beside her. "Come on, let's get going."

After walking for an hour in the general direction of the crashed UAV, the team came across a fork in the road. One road continued south while the other curved around and headed towards the west. Sam looked at the UAV tracking device and the needle pointed towards the west. She walked up to Jack. "Sally and I'll keep heading south. I really want to get some samples from that rock face. You guys go grab the UAV." She gave Jack a pointed look when he started to protest.

"Okay" he relented with a sigh. "Watch your back."

Sally walked passed them. "Don't worry Colonel. We may only be female but I think we can look after ourselves."

Jack glared at her before turning back to Sam. "Stay on the main track and radio if you get into trouble. All right?"

"We'll be fine Jack. Don't worry."

"You know that's not possible" he replied, bending down to kiss her gently. "We'll meet back here in a couple of hours."

Sam nodded and she and Sally walked off down the track.



~~~0~~~



Sam and Sally were almost at the base of the cliff when they came across a group of women in a small clearing. Both soldiers were immediately on guard.

"We mean you no harm" one of the women said. She walked up to Sam and touched her hair. "You are very beautiful."

Sam blushed slightly. "Uh, thankyou."

"You have traveled far, yes? You must come and replenish yourselves, it is very hot today."

Sam looked at Sally and shrugged before turning and following the women.

After a few minutes they entered a large village at the base of the cliff. They were led into a hall filled with unlit candles. The group of women walked around the room. They blew on the unlit wicks of the candles and the flames flickered to life.

"I think they may be witches" Sally whispered.

"Witches? Great, I forgot to bring my broom" Sam replied just as quietly. One of the women took Sam by the arm and started to lead her off. "Sally?" Sam asked, feeling that something wasn't right.

"It's okay. Most witchcraft isn't dark like most people believe. It's basically just another form of religion. I don't think you have anything to worry about."

"Most witchcraft?"

"You'll be fine. I'll go outside and radio the others. Tell them where we are."

Sally walked outside and grabbed her radio. "Portable two to portable one. Come in Colonel?"

"What is it Quintok? Is there a problem?" Jack replied almost immediately.

"No sir, no problem. We've encountered a colony near the cliff face. They've asked us to stay for a while. Wanna join us?"

"We'll be there in twenty. Stay together 'till we get there, understood?" Sally hesitated for a moment, then decided what he didn't know wouldn't hurt him.

"Understood sir. Portable two out."

She put the radio back into her bag and walked back into the hall. Sam was nowhere to be seen. She walked out the other door, which was the only exit they could have used. What she saw made her heart stop. Sam had been changed into a long, white robe and was being led at knife point. "Hey! Let her go!" Sally yelled.

The knife was held closer to Sam's throat and Sally saw it pierce the skin. "You must leave this area now or your friend will die" the woman holding the knife said to Sally.

"Go get Jack" Sam muttered through clenched teeth. Sally hesitated, unwilling to leave Sam behind. "Now!" Sam hissed.

Sally turned and fled back through the hall to the other side so she could radio Jack again. "Colonel, we have a problem. You better get here now!"

"What's happened?" Jack barked back. She could here the slight fear in his voice.

"The natives have become hostile and taken Sam at knife point."

"We're nearly there. Stay put and don't do anything 'till we get there."

Five minutes later the three men came racing into the village, seeing Sally pacing near the front of the hall. "Where is she?" Jack asked immediately.

"They took her into that building there. I think it's their temple." Sally pointed to a small building.

"Okay. Tell me everything that happened" Jack ordered.

Sally recounted the events as quickly and accurately as she could. She could see the anger rising in Jack. "You left her alone?! I gave you a specific order! What in the hell did you think you were doing?!" Jack yelled, barely restraining his anger.

"I didn't think they..." she started but was interrupted by Jack.

"That's right Quintok, you didn't think. I swear to god if anything happens to her you'll wish you were never born!" He stormed off before she could reply. She turned to Daniel and Teal'c but they just glared at her and followed after Jack.



~~~0~~~



They crouched by a small window of the temple, trying to formulate a plan. Sam had been laid out on an alter and the women were busy lighting candles. A man stood near Sam and appeared to be anointing her with oils, a large dagger hanging from the belt of his robe.

"It's going to be hard to get in there without someone noticing" Jack said quietly, peering through the window.

"If you can sneak around to that door on the far side and shoot the Warlock near her, we should be able to surround them and talk them down. He's the only one with a weapon."

"How the hell do you know that will work?"

"Trust me Colonel. I know what I'm doing."

"You expect me to trust *you*?!" He said incredulously.

"Yes" Sally replied firmly.

"Forget it! You're the one that got her into this mess!"

"And I'm the best chance she has of getting out of it. Now if you want to get her killed then fine, but I've worked in Hostage Rescue ever since I left Special Forces. I know what I'm doing."

Jack was going to object further but Sam's words from the previous night went through his mind. "...her record in Hostage Rescue is exemplary. She's saved so many lives. Maybe she's learnt from her mistakes."

Jack nodded. "Alright. Let's do it then. As soon as you hear the shot get in there and surround them. Anyone threatens any of the team, then take them out. Got it Quintok?"

"Yes sir!" She replied.

Jack snuck around to the front door and crouched low. He took out his revolver and took a deep breath. He broke through the door and put a bullet thought the Warlock's chest before anyone even realised what had happened. The women screamed and seemed to back away for a moment. The others ran into the room and spread themselves around the room. Jack started walking toward Sam but the women crowded around her once more and started chanting. One woman had picked up the Warlock's dagger and placed the point above her heart. Sam's body contorted in pain as the chanting grew louder.

"What's wrong with her?" Jack asked, alarmed.

"I think they're trying to invoke a spirit" Sally replied. She turned to the closest women. "You can not use this woman as a vessel."

The chanting stopped and the oldest woman laughed. "She is perfect for us. She has hair of gold and is strong and pure. We have never found such a fitting vessel."

"But she's not pure" Sally insisted.

"She is not? But she does not wear the mark of the betrothed. Why do you lie to us?"

Sally walked over to Jack. "I'm not lying. This man is her mate. Where we come from betrothal is not necessary."

The old woman looked at Jack. "Is this true?"

"Hell yeah. I mean just last night we..." Jack was cut off by the old woman.

"I believe you." She turned to the other women. "My coven, I believe we have made a mistake. This is not a fit vessel after all." She signaled to the women and they all backed up into the shadows and disappeared.

Jack raced over to the alter. "Sam?" He shook her and got no response. He checked her pulse, there was none. "No! Don't you dare leave me Sam!" He growled and started CPR. Several tense minutes later Sam coughed and started breathing on her own. Her eyes flew open, frightened for a moment, before they came to rest on Jack.

"What happened?" She croaked.

Jack smiled, tears in his eyes. "I'll tell you later." He picked her up and they made their way back to the Stargate.



~~~0~~~



The next morning Sam was comfortably resting in the infirmary. Sally had come to see how she was. "So when are they letting you out of here?" Sally asked her.

"Hopefully this afternoon, as long as I go home and don't get out of bed for a few days."

"Yuck. I hate bed rest" she said, looking up as the door opened.

"I don't know..." Sam started as Jack walked in. "Sometimes it's not so bad."

Sally chuckled, seeing the wicked glint in Sam's eyes. "Well I'll leave you to it then."

"Thanks Sally. For everything. You really saved my butt yesterday." Sam squeezed Sally's hand. Jack had told her what had happened when they returned the previous night.

"Your welcome. It was the least I could do since I got you into the mess to start with" she replied and turned to leave. "Colonel." She nodded to Jack as she started walking out.

Jack cleared his throat. "You did good Major. You realised your mistake and you fixed it. You might just work out here."

"Thankyou Sir." Sally saluted him, before walking out the door.

Jack turned back to Sam who was smiling at him. "You're a good man Colonel."

Jack grinned and sat next to her on the bed. "Well I've got a good woman who keeps me in line so..." he shrugged. He leant down and brushed a kiss across her lips. "I'm so glad you're all right. I hate to think what I'd do if I lost you."

Sam caressed his cheek. "Well don't think about it 'cause I'm not going anywhere." She bought his face down to hers and kissed him gently, savoring the feel of his lips.



THE END