samandjack.net

Story Notes: Thoughts - Comments: Thanks to Wendy G for suggesting an episode and causing me to reorganise the whole story :> I apologise in advance to anyone who disagrees with the way in which I have interpreted the episodes you're welcome to tell me what you thought, but no flames please. Also thanks to the Sam and Jack list because it's their dicussions that make me watch episodes in so much detail . And to Dustdevil for beta-ing this and encouraging me to continue :-) Hope you enjoy it.

Copyright (c) Elise Hudson, January 2000


Captain Samantha Carter



I can't believe I have to do this. Ever since this orb arrived I've come up with plans of action in an attempt to save everyone and rescue the Colonel. None of them worked and now I have a new plan. One, that if it works, could kill the Colonel. I now believe we should feed the orb with energy so it can speak. To do that Teal'c will fire at the orb.

Knowing that my plan may kill the Colonel, I have to be the one that tells him. I go down to the gate room and walk up to the Colonel. It hurt me when I first saw him impaled on the concrete wall and it pains me more to tell him that he may not live due to my plan. If my plan is wrong he'll be dead and I'll.... I don't know what I'll do.

As I tell him, he squeezes my hand. It's ever so light but I can feel it and it makes me feel ten times worse. I may be about to kill him and he squeezes my hand to comfort me. What if this goes horribly wrong? What if I kill my Colonel? What will I do without him? Without Jack? When the General asked me the chances of infecting the world I turned to a Colonel quote. If that doesn't show how much I depend on the man, I'm not sure what does. The dependancy that he can save me no matter what the situation.

As I remove the tape and drip from his hand I wince in pain. I know that by doing this I could be ending his life. How sure am I that my plan will work? I'm getting less and less sure as I look at Jack. I step away and I want to stop all this. I want to go back to when we found this stupid orb and leave it where we found it. I want to prevent it from hurting Jack, my Jack.

I step back and order Teal'c to fire. I order again and again each time it pains me more. I see the energy transfer from the orb along the pole and into him. It must be hurting him so much. My emotional pain at doing this is far less than the physical pain he is feeling. When the orb first attacked him I could see the pain etched on his face. I had been so scared, more scared than I had ever previously been. Even when I had been traded to Turgin and he had threatened me. Yeah, I'd been scared but that was different. I knew Jack would rescue me and now it was my turn to rescue him. I have this terrible feeling that I may not succeed.

Teal'c stops firing and I move forward. Reaching out for his neck, I feel for a pulse. Clenching my jaw I straighten and tell the others there is no pulse. I turn and I see the devastation on their faces. With his death a Commanding officer, a brave soldier and a treasured friend has gone. And I hate to admit this but the man I care deeply for has gone.

Typical, the first time I really admit it to myself it's too late. My heart, literally, leaps into my throat as his head rises and he speaks. In a strange voice he uses one of Jack's comments, but with no emotion to his voice at all. When he announces that Jack is within him I am so relieved. All we need now is to get rid of the orb and get our Jack back.



*****



The orb's gone, the gate's closed, the auto destruct's been stopped, the computers and lights are back on line and the Colonel is lying on the ramp. The General gives me the go ahead to see colonel O'Neill and I don't hesitate for a second. I run straight down there. He's sitting up now and I place a reassuring hand on his knee. He says something about wild horses and I know he's fine. I saved my Jack and now my Colonel is back.



*******************************************************

End