samandjack.net

Story Notes: Email- eventhorizon@totalise.co.uk

Spoilers- Nope

Status-Finished

Archive- SJD, Jackfic, Event Horizon yes. If you want it just let me know.

Feedback- Yes Please.

Author's note- This is from Jack's POV, although I don't think I named him. In my mind it was set after 100 days or an equally emotional time in the ship department. Short and sweet, at least that's the plan.

Dedication- For Denise because I have never not thoroughly enjoyed one of her fics and I'm not as good with feedback as I ought to be.

Copyright- Samantha Fox 04/03.


He Loves Me Not:



I look around the door and into her lab. Her back is facing me and she doesn't seem to notice my presence so I stay silent.

She makes a sound, somewhere between a sob and a sniffle. I'm surprised to say the least, refusing to accept that she's crying, because Major Sam Carter doesn't cry. That's an undisputed fact that I'm unwilling to let slide just yet.

But there it is again and my confidence wavers.

Soft, purple petals begin to flutter to the floor by her side, she mutters something as they drop but I can't make out her whispered words.

As the pile of petals grows, so does the volume of her words.

"He loves me." The petal reaches the floor.

"He loves me not." Another joins it.

"He loves me." Cue the petal.

"He loves me not." And again.

I watch and listen, completely mesmerized by the unfaltering rhythm.

I only really start paying attention again when she hesitates.

"He loves me," she sighs, dropping a petal to the floor.

Then she stops, and it almost seems promising until she takes a deep breath and another petal falls.

"He loves me not."

She sits there, unmoving, unspeaking, un-anything really. Then the long, bare, green stem drops, landing the freshly made bed of lilac petals.

I watch her once again until her hand reaches up and brushes her cheek, but I'm still not willing to accept that she's wiping away tears.

I turn and leave, unsure of quite what to say or do even if I did move to comfort her.



I look around the door and into her lab. The room is empty so I continue inside.

I'm purposely silent although I don't know why. There is no one here and no one anywhere near here to hear me.

I gently take hold of the top of the stem of the flower that I'm holding, sliding the stem out of my sleeve where I have been concealing it.

I place the vibrant purple flower into the small, empty vase on her desk and clip the small florist card onto it.

'HE LOVES ME' is printed neatly on it in black pen and I know that it is true.

Even if she wasn't talking about me I know that it's true, because any man would have to be a fool not to.

I painstaking check the number of petals on the flower again, in case any went astray on my journey.

I have it on very good authority that the only way you can trust 'he loves me, he loves me not' is to start with 'he loves me' and so I replace yesterday's mistake with an almost matching image. Only this one has an odd number of petals.

Because I know her.and he must love her.



The End