samandjack.net

Story Notes: Pairings: Sam/Jack

Season/sequel: Set just after Metamorphosis

Spoilers: Metamorphosis

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters and places are the property of MGM, World Gekko Corp and Double Secret productions. This piece of fan fiction was created for entertainment not monetary purposes and no infringement on copyrights or trademarks was intended. Previously unrecognized characters and places, and this story, are copyrighted to the author. Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.

Author's notes: In another very weird twist, and without having manipulated anything, the number of words in this fic was exactly the square of the # of lines of my last piece (16x16=256!). Sixteen has always been my favorite number and is today's date!

Feedback: Greatly appreciated.

Date: 16-2-2003


A pen. Blue ink, probably. But maybe black. It doesn't really matter. It may write, but it might not. It sits idly on the nightstand in sharp contrast to the constant motion it was in just moments before. If she reached out to touch the cushion of the chair next to the bed, she knows it would be warm. But she doesn't need to feel it to be sure. She listens to the sound of her own breathing - the only sound audible in the sterile room. She knows he left as her deep, steady rhythm became shallow and irregular. She also knows that he never really looked at her for very long. The cameras are in the room, after all. Instead, he sat fiddling with the pen. The only indication that he was ever there. He didn't take it with him because he wanted her to know. She leaves it there knowing that as long as she stays in the infirmary, he'll come back. As long as she leaves the pen there. It's a sign between two people who aren't allowed to talk. At least not about things like that. She smiles, a little sadly, but a smile nonetheless. It's strange, really, how one pen that may - or may not - write, in blue - or maybe black - ink, can signal a love that transcends time and place and rules and regulations. A pen that tells a story without having ever been put to paper. The greatest love story that was never written.