samandjack.net

Story Notes: Email: jackiesfic@aol.com

Season: Season 6, Immediately after The Changeling

Sequel: After In Demand, Momentum, and Epidemic

Spoilers: Minor ones for Meta, and The Changeling

Archive: SJD, yes. Anyone else, please just ask.

Author's Notes: I had originally set this little series after Memento, but as it doesn't really matter, I am moving it back a bit so that the first three parts occurred after Disclosure, but before Changeling, because I now know that Jacob shows up at the end of Changeling, and that is the perfect setting for this installment. Besides, I really am trying to stick to Canon, just going under the assumption that something happened after PL that we weren't privy too.

As always feed back craved!


See Jack Run
Copywrite March, 2003

Bra'tak and Teal'c were both on the road to recovery, and all of the SGC was breathing a sigh of relief. After the grueling mission spent picking their way through hundreds of dead rebel Jaffa to find their two friends, and then two more days of worrying and taking turns sitting at their sides, the remaining members of SG1 were more than ready to follow orders and get some sleep. Jacob would be staying overnight so that he could monitor the effects of the Tretonin before reporting back to the Tok'Ra on it's success, so he and Sam made plans to meet for breakfast the next morning before she wandered off to fall into an exhausted sleep. Jacob Carter checked in on the patients one last time before he too headed off to bed.

"Dr. Fraiser, how are they doing?" he inquired of the woman that he had come to think of as a friend.

"They are improving rapidly, Jacob, thanks to you and Selmak," she replied.

"We only hope that we can indeed use this as a first step to freeing all of the Jaffa from their enforced slavery," Selmak stated. Then Jacob spoke again. "Doc, you'd let me know if anything was wrong with Sam, wouldn't you?"

"Of course, Jacob. But Sam is fine. She gave us quite a scare when Nirrti captured SG1, but she didn't suffer any long-term effects. Why do you ask?' Janet questioned.

"She seemed a bit quiet today. Not anything I could put my finger on," he admitted.

"It's been a tough couple of months for her, Jacob. I know she has wanted to speak to you about some things. Hopefully tomorrow when she is rested you two can have a good talk," the Doctor said reassuringly.

Privately she crossed her fingers that Jacob would react well to Sam's news of her marriage to Jack O'Neill. She knew that her friend had been worried about telling him all day today, for fear that the news might re-open the old rift between herself and her Dad. That rift had hurt Sam deeply, and she did not want anything to interfere with their new closeness. But tomorrow she would need to tell him her big news before he left.

"As long as you're sure she's alright, " Jacob continued.

"She is, I promise," Fraiser answered with a smile. Better than *alright* she thought. Her friend was downright glowing when she wasn't worrying about a fallen teammate.

The next morning Jacob Carter left the VIP quarters to head down to the commissary to meet his daughter just as Colonel Jack O'Neill exited a door down the hall. O'Neill headed off in the opposite direction, unaware that the older man had seen him. Jacob's curiosity was peaked, as he was positive that the Colonel's quarters were not on this level. Once he was sure that Jack was out of sight, he headed down to the door that O'Neill had exited and read the nameplate. After a moment of shock, he pounded on the door.

Forty-five minutes later Jack was surprised to see that he had beaten both Sam and Jacob to the commissary. He had stopped off in his office to pick up some reports he had completed the day before, and swung by the General's office to deliver them. Hammond had inquired after his health, to which he had grimaced in reply and admitted that they hadn't told Jacob their news yet.

"You might want to have the Doc standing by in case I come to bodily harm over breakfast though, Sir," Jack had said with a sigh.

He was sitting with a larger than normal breakfast, and a grin from remembering exactly how he had worked up such an appetite, when Jacob joined him with his own tray.

"You seem to be in a good mood this morning Jack. Anything you want to share?" Jacob quizzed.

"No, Jake, just happy to have my team back in one piece," O'Neill responded quickly, wiping the grin off his face. It wouldn't do to be thinking of this morning's shower with a certain retired General's daughter when said General was sitting directly across from him. He was going to be in enough trouble shortly anyway.

Just then Sam walked in and seeing her husband's loaded tray had to fight the grin that was threatening her own features. She waved and pointed to the line to indicate she was going to get some food. Jack sighed and dug into his pancakes hoping to forestall any further conversation with Jacob until Sam joined them. When she arrived, her father raised his eyebrows at the amount of food on her tray.

"You both seem to have healthy appetites this morning," Jacob commented.

Damn, this time they both grinned.

"Yeah, well, it's been a stressful few days. I think I skipped a meal or two," Jack covered neatly.

"Hmph, nice try, Jack. Just when were you going to tell me you're sleeping with my daughter?" Jacob demanded.

For once in his life, Jack O'Neill was speechless. He desperately searched his mind for a comeback, opened his mouth, and then closed it again. Nope, he had nothing. At that point his wife took pity on him, and raised a hand to his arm.

"He knows, Jack. He stopped by our new quarters on his way here," she said softly.

O'Neill took a deep breath and looked Jacob Carter in the eye. "I love her, Jacob. And I promise to do everything in my power to make her happy."

"Good answer," Jacob said with a smile. "I have to admit to still being a bit shocked. Just how long has this been going on?"

*This* could mean a lot of things. Jack chose to clear up the most obvious first.

"We never did anything inappropriate while she was under my command, Jacob, but I've been in love with her pretty much since I met her," he confessed.

Jacob nodded. That was the same answer Sam had given him after she had opened the door to find her father about ready to self-destruct. He had calmed down considerably when she had told him they were married. Then she had given him the abbreviated version of how the whole thing had come about.

"So you snuck off to Las Vegas?" Jacob confirmed.

"Well, we didn't exactly sneak, Dad. Jonas, Teal'c Janet and Cassie were all there. We have pictures," Sam explained. "We only had a short window of opportunity to get everything done without breaking any regs."

"And you are happy?" Jacob asked, even though Sam had already assured him that she was.

The twin grins appeared again.

"Yes, Dad. Very happy," Sam nodded.

"How could I not be, Jacob? I definitely got the better end of this deal," Jack acknowledged.

"It just seems so fast," Jacob sighed. Then when Sam snorted he looked at her in surprise. "What?"

"Jacob, this had to be one of the longest cases of repression and denial in history," Jack explained. "The ceremony might have taken place quickly, but believe me the relationship was not fast by any means. You can't tell me you didn't have a clue. There were betting pools on the two of us getting together from the moment we stepped out of the first briefing six years ago."

"Denial can be a good thing, Jack. Especially if you are a father. And if Selmak knew, which she assures me that she did, she never said a word. She let me live in blissful ignorance," Jacob confessed.

With that they left the commissary and Jack headed off to check on Teal'c and Bra'tak, while Jacob followed Sam to her lab.

"So now what, Sam. You continue on with SG1 like before?" Jacob wanted to know.

"For now, pretty much. We have all of these special projects to get through, so we will be trading off as CO of the team when needed, and occasionally going out together like before. Then when all of that settles down, we need to concentrate on selling my house, and maybe remodeling Jack's or start looking for a bigger house," Sam said.

"Jack's house is plenty big, isn't it?" Jacob inquired.

"For the two of us sure. But not for four or five," Sam teased. (Or six if Jack has his way she thought)

She watched as that statement sunk in.

'Oh!" Jacob exclaimed. "You're not…"

"No, Dad. Not now. But don't be too much of a stranger. You'll want to be checking in to keep tabs on when your next grandchild is expected," she said with a grin.

Jacob paused for a moment, and then smiled. "I think I'll go catch up with my son-in-law in the infirmary," he said.

Sam laughed as she picked up the phone to call down and warn her husband that a certain perspective grandfather wanted to have a little chat.

A few minutes later a couple of SF's were almost bowled over as Colonel Jack O'Neill beat a hasty retreat from Level 21.

The end (for now!)