samandjack.net

Story Notes: Email: jackiesfic@aol.com

Season: Season 6, after Memento

Sequel: In Demand, Momentum, Epidemic, See Jack Run, Classified, Prelude and Discoveries

Spoilers: minor ones for Desperate Measures

Archive: SJD, yes. Anyone else, please just ask.

Author's Notes: I just had new neighbors move in, and that inspired this little bit of whimsy.

As always feed back craved!


Under Surveillance



At first Sam figured she was just being paranoid. But as the feeling of being watched persisted, she decided to mention something to Jack. He was immediately concerned. He remembered all too well the desperate search for her when she had been kidnapped by Adrian Conrad. So he did a little surveillance of his own. What he discovered made him laugh.

"Well you were right, he said to her one Saturday afternoon as they put the groceries away. "You are definitely being watched."

"Damn! I was hoping I was being overly sensitive. Were you able to figure out who it is? Jack! The house could be bugged," she said, dropping her voice to a whisper.

"I seriously doubt it," he chuckled. "Although it is a pretty organized group, they probably don't have the resources for that."

"What do you know O'Neill?" She asked eyeing him suspiciously. He seemed amused by the whole thing.

"Well, it seems that you are the hot topic of gossip around the entire neighborhood. I caught Liz Henek peeking out of her window at us when we left for the base yesterday morning, and Mrs. Eder was spying on us when we came back from the store this morning. So I went over and had a chat with Scott across the street. He said that his wife Lisa has been getting phone calls from all of the other women to see if she knows anything. Seems everyone on the block has noticed that you've been around a lot more the past few weeks, and they are speculating madly."

Sam threw her hands in the air. "Great! We finally squash the rumor mill on the base, and now it starts all over at home! Did you tell Scott that we are married?"

"Yeah, and he says congratulations," Jack said, fibbing slightly. Actually, Scott had slapped him on the back and congratulated him on his beautiful bride, as if Jack had reeled in a prize catch. Of course he would never tell Sam that part. "Hopefully they will spread the news and that will put an end to the spying."

They should have known better. Jack O'Neill and his gorgeous blond wife became the center of every conversation between their neighbors. As the moms waited with their kids for the school bus in the mornings, new tidbits were a hot commodity. And it didn't go unnoticed by the wives that their husbands suddenly found yard work that needed to be done whenever their new neighbor was outside. Since poor Scott had been the source of the information that Sam and Jack were married, he and Lisa were pumped at every opportunity for more facts. Finally they bowed to the pressure, and invited the newlyweds over for dinner. Sam and Jack agreed, since Sam really did want to meet a few of her new neighbors, and maybe this would help get things back to normal.

A week later Jack O'Neill walked though the front door of their house and unloaded his flight bag and jacket with a sigh. He had spent the last three days at Wright/Patterson giving Level 4 hand-to-hand combat training to a group of airman who were all at least two decades younger than him, and he was feeling every one of his forty- seven years.

"Jack?" he heard his wife call from the kitchen at the sound of the door closing. And then she was standing there, looking slightly mussed and wearing old jeans that were faded and an old airforce T- shirt, both of which hugged every curve. There was a streak of what looked like flour on her cheek, and she was wiping her hands on a towel, which she quickly tossed aside. She looked fantastic. And as he folded her into her arms he realized that she smelled wonderful too. The usual Sam Carter wonderful, with a bit of chocolate and something he couldn't quite put his finger on added in. Then she was kissing him, and her hands were doing things that suddenly made him feel more like seventeen than forty-seven.

Two hours later, after they had made love and showered, he padded down to the kitchen to get some lunch. There in the fridge was a work of art. Some sort of cake, with chocolate, and whipped cream, and cherries. His hand reached out automatically to snag a bit of the cream only to be slapped by his wife.

"Don't you even think about it Jack O'Neill. That is for our dinner with the Larsons tonight. Here," she said as she pulled a bowl out from the lower shelf. "I saved you the extra whipped cream"

"Mmm, thanks! If I had known that we could have put it to good use about an hour ago," he said waggling his eyebrows. "Wow! You *made* this cake?"

"Yes. It was my Mom's recipe," she said with a sad smile. "I haven't made it in years."

"It looks incredible. Isn't it a bit much for the four of us though?" he asked.

"Eight of us," she corrected. "Scott and Lisa invited two other couples. The Heneks and the Alberts. So it will be an all out inquisition," she sighed.

"Hey, at least they won't have ribbon devices and pain sticks!" he quipped, earning a mock glare from Sam.

"With the Goa'uld I'd have weapons to fight back with," she complained.

"You'll be fine. Just think of it like any other first contact mission, and you'll wow them. You always do," he smiled giving her a kiss on her forehead.

And she did. The men had been instantly infatuated, which didn't surprise Jack in the least. That was pretty much a universal constant. It was the women that Jack had worried about. Oh, they tried not to like her. Especially after seeing their husband's initial reactions to those bright blue eyes, and that dazzling smile. But it soon became clear to them that Sam Carter had eyes for only one man in the room, and that let them relax and get to know her. Liz Henek was a high school physics teacher, and on finding out about Sam's physics background the ice had been broken. After that the conversation had flown freely, and soon it was time for dessert to be served. The woman had swooned over Sam's incredibly rich Black Forest Cake, and Jack silently thought it was the best cake he had ever had. (And he *was* something of a cake expert) Later when he walked into the kitchen to get a refill of coffee he found his wife swapping recipes with the other women as they cleared the dishes, and knew she had been officially accepted into the neighborhood. He gave her a wink, grabbed his coffee and headed back out to join the guys.

And then it hit him. Since when did Sam have recipes?

The end